PDA

View Full Version : Perseverance pays off for young Dogs

G-Mo77
27-07-2012, 10:48 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/07/26/3493504/art_n_trio_2707-300x0.jpg

JORDAN Roughead, Ayce Cordy and Tory Dickson have endured challenging seasons in the Western Bulldogs' reshaped forward line, but the re-signed players are confident their experiences will help them become stronger long-term players.

Cordy, who has played 11 games this season after overcoming shoulder problems in his first three years at the club, said his self-belief had grown enormously in the past few months.

Like Roughead, who will play his 30th game on Sunday, Cordy has extended his contract by three years, with Dickson's promising debut earning him a two-year extension.

''While we're out on the ground there's certainly no one thinking about the bigger picture of the forward line. We want to be winning games … but we're getting some positive things out of the season,'' Cordy said.

''During the week we're reviewing everything about our game and when things haven't gone as well as you've wanted, that's when you get the chance to sit back and think, these are the things we need to learn from and work on.

''This year's been a big year for me in terms of self-belief and I've done some things now that I'm not sure people thought I could do.

''I still need to get physically bigger, and stronger. I'm still able to get thrown around by other blokes too easily and my work rate's something that needs to improve a lot. But it's been a real positive to figure those things out and know how big my next off-season needs to be.''

After a disrupted 2011, Roughead has played 12 games in his most productive season yet. By the end of his next contract, he said, he wanted to be spending more time in the ruck, and causing more damage when he went forward.

''That's the plan, but for the moment I'm just focused on my game and improving as much as I can,'' he said. ''It's been a tough year in terms of wins and losses but it's been an exciting year with the young group we've started to get coming through.

''It might not be evident in the amount of goals we're kicking and the number of times we're getting the ball inside 50, but I think we're all developing as the coaches want us to, and once we get better at implementing the game plan there's going to be some exciting times.''

Dickson has kicked two four-goal bags in his first 11 games, having been recruited from the Bendigo Bombers as a 24-year-old last November. Signed initially for one season, he said he felt he had scope for much more improvement and could sense the forward line's chemistry starting to improve.

''We've got a few new young guys in the forward line and it's going to take time for things to come together properly,'' he said. ''But there's a lot of guys down there who haven't even played 30 games yet, so the chemistry is only going to get better the more games that we play together.

''Ayce and Roughy I think have both shown that the more games they get into them, the better they'll be. There's been some really good glimpses of that this year when they've clunked the ball and taken some good marks.

''If they can get their work rate up a bit more and we can help them get to more contests, they're going to become really good players pretty quickly.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/perseverance-pays-off-for-young-dogs-20120726-22ve6.html#ixzz21m8wNtVj

bornadog
27-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Its a promising future with players like these three sticking with the Club. I have been very impressed by Dickson this season, considering his age and never playing AFL before. Cordy and Roughead have had valuable game time in them and they will be a real asset once they reach 50 plus games.

Desipura
27-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Its a promising future with players like these three sticking with the Club. I have been very impressed by Dickson this season, considering his age and never playing AFL before. Cordy and Roughead have had valuable game time in them and they will be a real asset once they reach 50 plus games.
Some credit must go to the MC for playing the likes of Cordy & Roughy even when they should/could have been dropped. Hopefully, as a result, we will see the fruits of this sooner rather than later.

The Pie Man
27-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Cordy gets 3 years.....well done Ayce, nicely scored.

Am I alone in wondering why we needed to give him 3 years?

G-Mo77
27-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Some credit must go to the MC for playing the likes of Cordy & Roughy even when they should/could have been dropped. Hopefully, as a result, we will see the fruits of this sooner rather than later.

True, while frustrating there is a bigger picture we all tend to forget about some times.

Contracts are usually 2 or 3 years. I've got no problem with signing both the big guys up for a little longer with 3 year deals.

SlimPickens
27-07-2012, 12:26 PM
True, while frustrating there is a bigger picture we all tend to forget about sometimes.

Sometimes? I think the big picture has been thrown out by some posters completely.:rolleyes:

G-Mo77
27-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Sometimes? I think the big picture has been thrown out by some posters completely.:rolleyes:

Well personally sometimes I forget about the big picture. Does that sound better? :)

But agree with you on others around here.

SlimPickens
27-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Well personally sometimes I forget about the big picture. Does that sound better? :)

But agree with you on others around here.

Much;)

Mantis
27-07-2012, 01:20 PM

No your not.

I'm yet to see anything other than a small glimpse that Ayce will be a compotent AFL player in years to come... Yet another strange list management decision.

LostDoggy
27-07-2012, 01:54 PM
3 years is enough time to make sure Zane Cordy wants to be drafted by us.

Maddog37
27-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Seems like cynicism and negativity is trending strongly at present on WOOF.

Dry Rot
27-07-2012, 02:41 PM
No your not.

I'm yet to see anything other than a small glimpse that Ayce will be a compotent AFL player in years to come... Yet another strange list management decision.

+1. There seems to be a blind perseverance that the tall forwards we are playing will make it, which may be reflected with our draft picks.

I still don't understand why we promoted Panos yet never play him. And I'd like to see Hill get a run before the end of the year.

The Pie Man
27-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Yeah maybe, and perhaps I'm guilty - though purely just on this bit of business, it's both good and concerning for me.

Roughead getting 3 years I'm reasonably ok with - he's shown a lot more so far than his fellow young big man...needs to play more.

Dickson getting 2 years is another solid call.

I know bigs need time - but the Corey McKernan-at-his-best-esque fluid movement I saw from Cordy in his junior highlights tapes have not been on display yet in the senior team, and I hold grave fears they ever will.

I personally think he's being played horribly out of position which only serves to highlight his deficiencies - 3 years is an awful long time if he doesn't come on.

Desipura
27-07-2012, 04:28 PM
2 ruckman have been locked up on long term contracts. So that leaves Campbell and Minson without a contract at this stage.................

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2012, 05:01 PM
2 ruckman have been locked up on long term contracts. So that leaves Campbell and Minson without a contract at this stage.................

I'm not sure the coach sees them as ruckmen.

I believe he is very keen on Campbell to be the one to eventually take on the main ruck role.

Roughead and Cordy are seen as key position players who can give ruck relief.

bornadog
27-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Once we develop Roughead and Cordy you will be looking for a trade won't you:D

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2012, 05:23 PM

I would see him as the ruck understudy to Minson and Roughead with Roughy and Ayce eventually becoming our two senior ruckmen. I would have little confidence in Cordy making it as a key forward as his build and size is better suited as a ruckman

chef
27-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure the coach sees them as ruckmen.

I believe he is very keen on Campbell to be the one to eventually take on the main ruck role.

Roughead and Cordy are seen as key position players who can give ruck relief.

You would hope not.

If they are not both seen as ruckman who can pinch hit in over positions by Macca, then I'm pretty scared for the future.

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Is it ever! I fear if our new draftees next season don't begin their careers Chris Judd like ,there wil be question marks on there recruitment.

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 06:48 PM
+1. There seems to be a blind perseverance that the tall forwards we are playing will make it, which may be reflected with our draft picks.

I still don't understand why we promoted Panos yet never play him. And I'd like to see Hill get a run before the end of the year.

It's called patience . Luke Darcy is a perfect example, he ran around like a baby giraffe for about 5 years . I tend to think with Panos and Hill it's the work when they haven't got the ball that is holding them back.

Desipura
27-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Once we develop Roughead and Cordy you will be looking for a trade won't you:D

I get it, you are half having a go, half joking.
If they become A graders, I will not be calling for th.em to be traded

bornadog
27-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I get it, you are half having a go, half joking.
If they become A graders, I will not be calling for th.em to be traded

it was a joke.:)

jeemak
27-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I see Cordy as the second tall forward who can ruck. While Roughead is the pure ruckman of the two.

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting from Cordy long term. For mine, I'm confident that when he reaches his mid twenties he'll be good for two to three goals a game, and will be able to relieve in the ruck as well.

Any more than that would be a bonus, and as you can see with Collingwood's recent years, there's a big difference between their current structure with Dawes struggling, compared to when they had either Dawes or Brown kicking a couple and helping out in other areas.

I think people need to adjust their expectations of Cordy, and realise he's only a couple of preseasons and body weight away from being a solid contributor.

GVGjr
27-07-2012, 09:44 PM

I think 2 might have been better but early next year will determine if we have got a good deal.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I think 2 might have been better but early next year will determine if we have got a good deal.

This.

Personally I think 3 years is silly given he has shown little, regardless of injuries/development etc. The reality is, he hasn't shown a lot at either level yet.

Two years would have sufficed.

I do agree on three for Roughy. I think he'll be the pick of the lot.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I see Cordy as the second tall forward who can ruck. While Roughead is the pure ruckman of the two.

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting from Cordy long term. For mine, I'm confident that when he reaches his mid twenties he'll be good for two to three goals a game, and will be able to relieve in the ruck as well.

Any more than that would be a bonus, and as you can see with Collingwood's recent years, there's a big difference between their current structure with Dawes struggling, compared to when they had either Dawes or Brown kicking a couple and helping out in other areas.

I think people need to adjust their expectations of Cordy, and realise he's only a couple of preseasons and body weight away from being a solid contributor.

I agree with you.

While he has struggled at times this year, he has also shown a bit.

Can take a good grab and has good hands at ground level as well. He just needs to learn about making position and perhaps to really demand the ball on the lead to be a good contributor.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2012, 09:59 PM
This.

Personally I think 3 years is silly given he has shown little, regardless of injuries/development etc. The reality is, he hasn't shown a lot at either level yet.

I know its only opinion, but my vote would be Cordy to be better than Roughy in the long term.

jeemak
27-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree with you.

While he has struggled at times this year, he has also shown a bit.

Can take a good grab and has good hands at ground level as well. He just needs to learn about making position and perhaps to really demand the ball on the lead to be a good contributor.

A lot of the positioning and leading will become easier when we move the ball forward decisively on a consistent basis. I've said this throughout the year when talking about Gia and Higgins, but I'd hate to be trying to get a kick, let alone take a mark and kick a goal in our forward line right now.

Agree with you he has a lot to learn.

jeemak
27-07-2012, 10:05 PM
This.

For the record, I'd have given two to each of them.

Remi Moses
27-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Agree would have gone with 2 for all 3.

bornadog
28-07-2012, 12:01 AM

For the record, I think two years isnot enough for players with potential, Three is just right.

w3design
28-07-2012, 08:24 AM
3 years is enough time to make sure Zane Cordy wants to be drafted by us.

So true i hear it's like the Cloke's the little brother is the one we want :)

w3design
28-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Agree play Panos and Hill both natural forwards lets see what they have.

LostDoggy
28-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I know its only opinion, but my vote would be Cordy to be better than Roughy in the long term.

I share your opinion, while Roughy seems more a natural footballer, Cordy has the potential to be a monster of a player, intimidating opposition and busting packs. We have seen flashes of his intensity at packs a few times, hopefully he becomes the kind of guy opposition players fear lurking behind them when the high ball comes in. Needs to get bigger over the next two years.

And improve his kicking...

LostDoggy
28-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Man, Ayce has barely played any footy in his first 3 years on the list. He is basically starting now where he should have been a couple of years ago. IMO he has looked good this year and will only get better. I'd say he like the other young guys, is now feeling the impact of a pre-season and a hard AFL season. Definitely worth 3 year contract.

Remi Moses
28-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Man, Ayce has barely played any footy in his first 3 years on the list. He is basically starting now where he should have been a couple of years ago. IMO he has looked good this year and will only get better. I'd say he like the other young guys, is now feeling the impact of a pre-season and a hard AFL season. Definitely worth 3 year contract.

True. He's basically a first year player.
How old is Zane Cordy?

chef
28-07-2012, 05:49 PM
True. He's basically a first year player.
How old is Zane Cordy?

16, same age as Josh Wallis.

Remi Moses
28-07-2012, 06:14 PM
16, same age as Josh Wallis.

What draft is that ? 2014?

chef
28-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah I think so.

mighty_west
28-07-2012, 06:21 PM
For the record, I think two years isnot enough for players with potential, Three is just right.

Agreed, I see Cordy developing into a very good ruckman who can play forward at times for a very long time, 3 years is a non issue for me.

gohardorgohome
29-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I have no problem giving Cordy and Roughhead longer contracts. I would not think big dollars are involved. These guys are still establishing themselves but have shown enough to still warrant interest from the dogs or other AFL clubs that are short on talls in three years time.

I feel both will improve and we will see two good tall players on salaries that will be under the odds in the final year of the deal.

Mantis
29-07-2012, 10:41 AM
So with Cordy and Roughy getting long term deals where does that leave Minson & Campbell?

Can we keep all 4 on our list?

The Underdog
29-07-2012, 01:45 PM
So with Cordy and Roughy getting long term deals where does that leave Minson & Campbell?

Given I don't think Cordy is viewed as a ruck option long term, I think we can, although not sure what that means for Hill, he is probably the odd man out.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Given I don't think Cordy is viewed as a ruck option long term, I think we can, although not sure what that means for Hill, he is probably the odd man out.

Back in the early 70's we had a very tall team, but I think that was the last time as I cannot remember having this issue before.

G-Mo77
29-07-2012, 02:11 PM

I keep asking the same question. We are top heavy now, most of our secondary players are talls in development. We seem to have over compensated for our lack of talls from previous years and don't have many quality smaller types coming through. The list is not only a mess in terms of age brackets but in terms of structure as well.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 03:57 PM
They should have just got 1 year contracts. But I suppose they don't cost much (surely the minimum payment under the AFL EBA) so they can be cut at any time without severe financial penalty.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 05:28 PM
They should have just got 1 year contracts. But I suppose they don't cost much (surely the minimum payment under the AFL EBA) so they can be cut at any time without severe financial penalty.

That is utter rubbish. How you can you show faith in the young players when you give them one year? Lucky you are not a list manager.