PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 18

GVGjr
29-07-2012, 04:52 PM
This is the round 18 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against St Kilda has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
29-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Bankers
Minson - played well and tried hard all day
Dahl - tried hard
Dickson - chased and worked hard

Anchors
Jones - just not good enough at the moment
Gia - bye bye
The team - players, coaches etc...just poor!

Ghost Dog
29-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Bankers
Minson - as above
Luke - chased very hard and kept running
Picken sometimes I take him for granted.

Anchors
Vezpremi - GAve us nothing out of defence, poor decision making, walking around aimlessly
Gia - not fast enough on the lead. Caught and overrun easily.
Brian - don't throw in the towel! Keep fighting!

Dear Coach - The midfield is the engine room of a team and the forward and back line are your wheels. The engine is straining
but the wheels don't have any traction to move the car forward.
The back wheels are where your drive comes from. If you continue to pick players that cannot drive the car out of defense, the engine will get tired of making a huge effort and blow a gasket. If you continue to pick players who cannot grip the road and steer goals through the sticks, again, the engine will overheat, become dispirited and throw it in.
Engine, back wheels, front wheels.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Bankers
Gia - bye bye !

Gia - not fast enough on the lead. Caught and overrun easily.

Yep, pick out Gia when the guy had 15 disposals 5 marks 2 goals plus one goal assist and the ball was rarely in our forward 50. We had 39 inside 50's and he nearly snagged half those entries. same old scapegoats.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Yep, pick out Gia when the guy had 15 disposals 5 marks 2 goals plus one goal assist and the ball was rarely in our forward 50. We had 39 inside 50's and he nearly snagged half those entries. same old scapegoats.

How were his defensive efforts?

Ghost Dog
29-07-2012, 07:24 PM

I didn't say he didn't try really hard. I believe he gives his all for our club. No disrespect. Just lacking that extra step of pace.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Bankers

* Minsons Ruck work, in the top three in the AFL - sign him up now.

* Murphy nullifying the tiprat and keeping him virtually goalless.

* The potential - Libba, Wallis, Dickson - all tried very hard.

Anchors

* Griffen - one of the most talented on the list but just can't influence a game

* Vez - Not up to this level

* Jones - Love you son but it aint happening. one kick 3 handballs, no marks, just wasn't part of the game.

SlimPickens
29-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Bankers-

Dickson- offered us something up forward.

Wallis, Libba- tried their guts out.

Dahl- Tackling intensity and repeat efforts were good.

Anchors-
Gilbee- Good career, but very tough watching Lindsay play now.

Boyd- Will not shut down his opponent and once again we were destroyed by the saints midfield. Yes not enitrely Boyd's fault but would have loved him to show a willingness to sacrifice his game for his team.

Jones- No confidence, poor effort and simply not good enough.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:33 PM
How were his defensive efforts?

Tried hard and ran and chased.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Tried hard and ran and chased.

I could try hard and run and chase too. I would never catch anyone. Neither does Gia unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong but as long as the ball keeps coming out of our forward line so easily we will continue to get flogged.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I could try hard and run and chase too. I would never catch anyone. Neither does Gia unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong but as long as the ball keeps coming out of our forward line so easily we will continue to get flogged.

Gia isnot the problem in the forward line.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 07:39 PM
He is part of the problem though.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:40 PM
He is part of the problem though.

No use arguing with a Gia basher. I know better than to do so. Its been happening for years by our supporters.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Check my posts. I am against slow players that do not chase, not Gia himself.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Check my posts. I am against slow players that do not chase, not Gia himself.

but he does chase, he is just slow.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 07:54 PM
but he does chase, he is just slow.

There is slow and there is slow. Higgins and Cooney also do the same thing. None of them give second and third defensive efforts. Their bodies will not let them but the intent is not there at times too.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Dear Coach - The midfield is the engine room of a team and the forward and back line are your wheels. The engine is straining
but the wheels don't have any traction to move the car forward.
The back wheels are where your drive comes from. If you continue to pick players that cannot drive the car out of defense, the engine will get tired of making a huge effort and blow a gasket. If you continue to pick players who cannot grip the road and steer goals through the sticks, again, the engine will overheat, become dispirited and throw it in.
Engine, back wheels, front wheels.

Classic! :D:D:D Also, the car shouldn't be an Hyundai Exel in the first place.

Rance Fan
29-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Id like Gia to show more leadership and influence on matches.
A goal or two where runs is opponent under the ball and he gets a goal is nice but...

Would be nice if he went in the midfield and helped others out. Chased, created space, defended and lead from the front.

He just doesnt provide that, be it cos he is slow, injured or whatever... I think time has caught up with him. Like it did Johnno in his last season

Mofra
29-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Bankers:
Williams - I know he doesn't look match fit, but he's our best tall forward right now. Nobody would have expected this at the start of the season.

Minson - Workrate.

Murphy - The only defender not playing a pure lockdown role.

Anchors:
Jones - It may not be your game, but it might be your moment. The first time I have ever seen him and questioned his effort.

Tutt - Pulled out of a contest halfway through the last quarter. B-Mac won't be happy.

Midfield set-up - horrible

F'scary
29-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Gia isnot the problem in the forward line.

Don't tell me, you think he should go around again next year?

soupman
29-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Thats not what he said. Some posters on here are fast jumping to conclusions to argue with instead of debate.

Max469
29-07-2012, 08:34 PM
No use arguing with a Gia basher. I know better than to do so. Its been happening for years by our supporters.

yes it has and they will be the first one to complain when he is not playing anymore.

they can't help themselves.

won many a game with the goals he has kicked and in recent times too.

Maddog37
29-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Even last year Gia was fantastic and has been good for a long time but his body is failing. Please do not assume that I am focussing on his negatives out of disrespect for him.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I dully understand why you would want to defend Gia. I think he has been belted unfairly in the past. But the ball just comes out of our 50 so easily. Grant was another who just didn't give us any one percenters today.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Thats not what he said. Some posters on here are fast jumping to conclusions to argue with instead of debate. I didn't say that's what was said. It was a way of saying I think his performance today was only the best of a truly mediocre bunch. He's cooked. Great career but this is his one season-too-many season. Ipso facto, he is cooked and should retire at the end of the season - and that may not be in the firsts, either.

soupman
29-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I didn't say that's what was said. It was a way of saying I think his performance today was only the best of a truly mediocre bunch. He's cooked. Great career but this is his one season-too-many season. Ipso facto, he is cooked and should retire at the end of the season - and that may not be in the firsts, either.

Yes but his statement was regarding the fact that our forwardline, and it's relationship with our midfield is the issue at hand, not Gia. It isn't about Gia. A major reason the ball comes out of our forward 50 so easily is that when it goes in it goes in in the worst way possible. I'm not a big rap for the idea of Gia playing again next season either, but that isn't what is being argued.

jeemak
29-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Id like Gia to show more leadership and influence on matches.
A goal or two where runs is opponent under the ball and he gets a goal is nice but...

Would be nice if he went in the midfield and helped others out. Chased, created space, defended and lead from the front.

He just doesnt provide that, be it cos he is slow, injured or whatever... I think time has caught up with him. Like it did Johnno in his last season

I reckon he would if that was the instruction given to him.

Time isn't being kind to Gia, though once again, he's not helped out by the extremely slow manner in which we deliver the football to the forward line, and the fact that he's often playing against three opponents when it hits the deck.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Bankers:

Minson
Wallis
Dahlhaus

Minson was just about our only winner. I don't know how we can beat the cheque books at the end of the season.

The other two not only tried, they looked like they had a bit of class about them.

Anchors

Jones
Grant
Gilbee

Can't believe how much these players have fallen away in the space of one or two seasons. And one could go on adding to the list.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Did I say that?

F'scary
29-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes but his statement was regarding the fact that our forwardline, and it's relationship with our midfield is the issue at hand, not Gia. It isn't about Gia. A major reason the ball comes out of our forward 50 so easily is that when it goes in it goes in in the worst way possible. I'm not a big rap for the idea of Gia playing again next season either, but that isn't what is being argued.

He said "Gia is not the problem in our forward line." Well I think he is part of the problem. That's why I went to the bottom line.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Grant was another who just didn't give us any one percenters today.

Did you watch the game today? Grant beat his opponent, kept him goalless.

F'scary
Did I say that?

It was a question.

bornadog
It was a question.

No it wasn't a question.

Greystache

Agree. I thought he showed a bit today.

LostDoggy
29-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I thought Grant did extremely well other than one or two lapses in concentration.

FrediKanoute
29-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Bankers:

Minson - lone effort today
Tutt - tried hard, never through in the towel, provided some run
Grant - hought he was good down back. Looked assured and interested

Anchors

Gia - ineffectual (though to be fair the delivery as always was poor)
Jones - 1 handpass to half time is not enough - Minno up front gave us more
Lake - beaten from the first bounce

F'scary
29-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Did I say that?

Look, your posts seem to be saying he played ok today. Well, I watched on TV and I don't think so. But he is in company. However, in Gia's case it is because he has played a season too many. To be fair, no-one saw it coming after his excellent season last year. But it has. It sure doesn't say much for the others that he was perhaps the best forward. Amen to that.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 09:05 PM
No it wasn't a question.

Had a question mark. But yeah, maybe I was saying I didn't think he played that well today. I said more on that just before.

F'scary
29-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Damn, got go and cook dinner or I'll be in trouble. See you all soon.

westbulldog
29-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Bankers,
Minson, another fine display
Dalhaus, committed defensive efforts. gives his all every game.
Murphy, where would we be without him

Anchors
Vez - very little contribution
Jones - back to Willy for the rest of the year.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Look, your posts seem to be saying he played ok today. Well, I watched on TV and I don't think so. But he is in company. However, in Gia's case it is because he has played a season too many. To be fair, no-one saw it coming after his excellent season last year. But it has. It sure doesn't say much for the others that he was perhaps the best forward. Amen to that.

No, you are off track. You need follow ALL the posts. I was surprised by two posters having him in their anchor as he was one of the few who kicked goals in the forward line. The ball reached the 50 only 39 times and he had 15 disposals. Not many can hold their heads up high today, maybe Minson, Murphy and its a struggle after that.

The Underdog
29-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm in agreeance with the Grant looked reasonable down back group. Wasn't all positive but he showed a reasonable sense of when to peel off and help and read the ball well coming in

Bankers:
Grant - See above

Dahlhaus - He just keeps running and chasing every week. By far the biggest upside of the year

Pearce - wasn't sure we had much in him but his last 2 weeks have at least shown he isn't overwhelmed at the level and has been good defensively. Might be something there after all.

Anchors:
Vez - Oh Vez, why won't you justify my faith. Looked completely lost when subbed on and then once he seemed to have his head around his job, got burnt off by opponents and picked poor options defensively and offensively. I'm packing up the fan club.

Jones - Just lead up at the *!*!*!*!ing ballcarrier for *!*!*!*! sake.

Leadership group - In name only

Sedat
29-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Bankers:

Grant - very encouraging performance down back. Read the play well and showed an appetite for the contest.

Bob - obliterated a very dangerous opponent in hot form despite the ball almost living in our defensive 50

Dickson - working very hard when the ball is in opposition hands, which is refreshing to see in our forward line. Also runs hard to provide a target for our mids.

Anchors:

Howard - he cannot even halve any one-on-one contest, gets beaten every single time. What future does he have as a defender when he cannot actually defend one-on-one?

Jones - it is such a thankless role being our go-to key forward with the disgusting, slower than treacle delivery into our forward 50, but he didn't work anywhere near enough to get separation on Simpkin and try to involve himself into the game

Crowd - it was akin to a Saints home game against an interstate club. We literally had nobody there.

Collective anchor to our midfield group, who were pantsed yet again by St Kilda's group. Boyd led the way by showing zero respect to his direct opponent Goddard all game. What a surprise to see Hayes get another BOG against us :rolleyes:

Greystache
29-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Bankers

Murphy- Shutdown Mine effectively so we only had to live with one St Kilda douche having a good day.

Dahlhaus- Just has a crack all try the time whether it be defensively our offensively.

Dickson- Our only real forward option who can kick goals and not be a liability when the delivery is poor

Anchors

Jones- Has to work a lot harder when things aren't going well.

Howard- Is a witches hat when the ball is in dispute.

Midfield- Slaughtered by St Kilda's midfield for the 6th year running.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Yes I did. His opponent did get shots on goal, which he squandered. They could have kicked tons more goals today. Reiwoldt could have easily had 7 or 8. I just can't find a spot for Grant in the team, but definitely better in the backline. That being said, long term, He's too thin to be a back-man, easily pushed off the ball. If he were taller, it would be ok ( ala Fletch )

Would rather he be the sub, and Vezpremi can join the seagulls. I think he will do well in the VFL.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I forgot to add Picken to my bankers. Thought he did ok.
Liam Jones I sort of expect not to take the grab or win the contest. He tries hard but has a lot to learn. Maybe a few more preseasons. Wonder if Barry is working with him? I think he will be ok.

bornadog
29-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes I did. His opponent did get shots on goal, which he squandered. They could have kicked tons more goals today. Reiwoldt could have easily had 7 or 8. I just can't find a spot for Grant in the team, but definitely better in the backline. That being said, long term, He's too thin to be a back-man, easily pushed off the ball. If he were taller, it would be ok ( ala Fletch )

Would rather he be the sub, and Vezpremi can join the seagulls. I think he will do well in the VFL.

Grant didn't play on Riewold he was on Wilkes and kept him quiet.:rolleyes:

G-Mo77
30-07-2012, 12:04 AM

Wilkes had 3 shots at goal and missed them all. One was a howler. Could have easily been 3 goals.

F him anyway. He's the one who slung Cross to the ground.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2012, 12:15 AM

I know duh. I never said he did. His opponent ( dude with funny hair from westcoast, can't remember his name ) was far from quiet. Just didn't convert.

chef
30-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Can't believe that some around here didn't like his game.

chef
30-07-2012, 09:01 AM

When did this happen?

Ghost Dog
30-07-2012, 01:28 PM
When did this happen?

Face it. We are playing kids. they are all easily pushed off the ball.

G-Mo77
30-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Face it. We are playing kids. they are all easily pushed off the ball.

FWIW I actually thought Grant did OK as a backman. When he got into a marking contest he got pushed out but thought he played smart in most stages and used pace and length to spoil without getting pushed off the ball. I'd rather him forward though.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2012, 01:34 PM
FWIW I actually thought Grant did OK as a backman. When he got into a marking contest he got pushed out but thought he played smart in most stages and used pace and length to spoil without getting pushed off the ball. I'd rather him forward though.

I don't think he had a terrible game. Was caught napping more than once. The season will soon be over. I think we know him well enough, and what we can get from him so we can swap in a Roberts or a JJ to see what they have to offer. He did some good things for a first game down back. Maybe he will be our Harbrow replacement?

G-Mo77
30-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think he had a terrible game. Was caught napping more than once. The season will soon be over. I think we know him well enough, and what we can get from him so we can swap in a Roberts or a JJ to see what they have to offer. He did some good things for a first game down back. Maybe he will be our Harbrow replacement?

I think he's our 3rd tall forward personally. I don't think he'll ever fill out enough to hold down CHF but I think he could be a damaging player if we can get our spine right.

I'd rather Roberts in to play the role he did yesterday. Talia apparently was also pretty good on the weekend and could be a chance.