PDA

View Full Version : What is this string of losses doing to our club?

w3design
29-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm not a very frequent poster here and don't impose my views with the robustness of some... but I'm there at the game every week. I stayed till the end today. I do that every week too.

Like most of us I've not seen a premiership or even a grand final. I've been there for all the heartaches and those prelims. But right now I'm quite fearful for our club. We did expect it would be a tough year, a rebuilding year despite what I find ridiculous efforts to not communicate that reality with any honesty. But I looked forward to seeing the development of the kids, ok, some more quickly than others, maybe some inevitably disappoint, but I hoped to see an emerging nucleus of a side that would be strong again, even if it was 3 years down the track.

Instead I see regression in most of the 'kids' ( some are not that young in footy terms), and some senior guys continuing to play in the same way that has failed us for a long while.

I see a game style with no flair, zest, or positive energy. As a supporter who goes every week I feel so disillusioned about having to grit my teeth and brace myself for another dour characterless drubbing when footy should be enjoyable and at least have the hope and romantic dream of a win each week.

There were probably lucky to be 3000 dogs fans there today. We just can't afford to be this bad.

I find myself desperate to hear real answers, a vision that will make sense of where we are at. I want the club to genuinely communicate with me not serve up the rubbish that we had this week from Boyd about everyone being somehow happy with where we're at, as though all would be well if those pesky supporters weren't so demanding. For..a win, sometime soon?

I half wish I hadn't written this but I had to express just how hard it is to be a fan right now and my fear that we might not as a club be able to ride throught this as I just don't feel this is a mere hiccup along the way to a greater good.

KT31
29-07-2012, 11:38 PM
The same as your Avatar did to the SS Minnow !:(

w3design
29-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Touché, but .that's Maynard g krepps, not Gilligan!

KT31
29-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Still Bob Denver.;)

bornadog
29-07-2012, 11:50 PM

Well Maynard did alot of thinking and we need more than that at the moment.

Sedat
29-07-2012, 11:56 PM
We've been pantsed by a couple of good teams during this run (Sydney and Hawthorn), but the manner of our capitulations against middle of the road and even mediocre teams has been the truly alarming aspect to our form slump. Essendon have struggled to win a game since the start of June but they touched us up by 14 goals. Brisbane lost by 100 points today but smashed us by 10 goals in Melbourne. Carlton had 12 starting players missing but still outscored us by 9 goals in the 2nd half last week.

Rebuilding is all about selling hope - these results are sucking the last vestiges of hope away from our supporter base. I went today and apart from the fact that there were hardly any Dogs supporters there, those of us that were there knew before the opening bounce that we were no chance to win whatsoever, and when the wheels inevitably fell off after qtr time we all just shrugged our shoulders and almost laughed at the slowness and stop-start nature of our ball movement, the our butchering of basic skills and the complete and utter ease with which St Kilda were able to run the ball unopposed end to end. What hope is there for fans when you have 3 players only who are capable of taking the game on against the opposition? Aside from Bob, Dahl and Griff, the rest all just chip it sideways and resort to a static, boring, unwatchable spectacle that renders it virtually impossible for us to score more than 1-2 goals a qtr. We play with a complete absence of dare, enterprise and spark....is it any wonder that our fans have dropped off in droves?

SonofScray
30-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I might be a little unrealistic, given our history but the important thing is to stave of the fear of folding / merging etc. It muddies up the decision making process too much. For right now, I want the Club to make some strong statements, stick to their guns and make the hard calls on their own terms. Come hell or high water.

Its not just the losses that hurt though, it is the combination of off field stuff that is going on as well. The Collingwood seating issue, Will Minson witch hunt, Ward/Harbrow departures, the constant spin, the constant rolling over and sense that our Board and Football Dept kowtow to the AFL, our stubborn President, ultra conservative approach. This stuff hurts. It adds up as well.

There just isn't any fight in our Club at the moment, even our fans; except our most staunch, appear to be spent.

Topdog
30-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Honestly it has got me thinking that I may not brainwash my 2yo into being a Dogs supporter. My family are all Pies supporters.

LostDoggy
30-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I wrote about the fact that our club is in dire need of a shake, the board, the footy department and yes the coach are not up to it, on top of this we have several players that are just turning up for the money. I dont see the bulldog spirit of ol, Teddy and Charlie would be rolling in the grave to see this sort of stuff.

Will a change of presidency change the club culture, prob not, will a shake up of the footy department do anything in the short term, flip a coin. Like it or not we are dead in the water for at least five years, I cant see it being any earlier then that. So, get use to low membership, low attendance and lack of money folks it is 1995/6 all over again.

bornadog
30-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Honestly it has got me thinking that I may not brainwash my 2yo into being a Dogs supporter. My family are all Pies supporters.

Noooooooooooooooo

KT31
30-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Had two young kid's at our club lined up a Doggies supporters.
One went to the Hawks and the oter now a Swan.:(

Grantysghost
30-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I went yesterday against my better judgement (surely there are more uplifting pastimes!) and as stated above was waiting for the inevitable capitulation. We just cant kick goals. Its gotten to the point where I single out players and watch what they're doing rather than the ball, usually marvelling at the opposition eg Hayes and Reiwoldts workrate and ball finding ability. The players on the park yesterday were far more capable than the rubbish they displayed after half time. First time all year i've wondered if we have the right coach. Need the season to end on a high somehow to get some spirit and hope back otherwise the ~30000 members will become 25000 and a real big problem.

Grantysghost
30-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting addendum - just speaking to a workmate and he informed me a family member aged 10, big doggies supporter is being wooed over to the Hawks and may change his allegiances. This is why we cant bottom out for mine. This season is really hurting the club.

G-Mo77
30-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Interesting addendum - just speaking to a workmate and he informed me a family member aged 10, big doggies supporter is being wooed over to the Hawks and may change his allegiances. This is why we cant bottom out for mine. This season is really hurting the club.

Kids change their teams all the time so it's no biggie. My older brother changed from a successful Carlton team to a wooden spooner team in St. Kilda back in the 80's and has never looked back. I also converted a Geelong supporter to a Dog supporter a few years ago just because I took him to the game and got his photo taken with our mascot.

KT31
30-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Kids change their teams all the time so it's no biggie. My older brother changed from a successful Carlton team to a wooden spooner team in St. Kilda back in the 80's and has never looked back. I also converted a Geelong supporter to a Dog supporter a few years ago just because I took him to the game and got his photo taken with our mascot.

Not a biggie when it's one or two kids and you are attracting others.
It is a biggie when you are losing heaps of kids and not attracting any.

Maddog37
30-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I have my name down for golf on Saturday and will need to cancel to go to the game.

I want to support the Dogs as I have a reserved seat but I do not want to put my wife and kids through the pain.

Am I being selfish? Last time we went together was the Bears game and I hated evey minute of it.

Grantysghost
30-07-2012, 12:25 PM

I guess so, but historically it appears we lose more than we gain.

KT31
30-07-2012, 12:42 PM
i have my name down for golf on saturday and will need to cancel to go to the game.

I want to support the dogs as i have a reserved seat but i do not want to put my wife and kids through the pain.

Am i being selfish? Last time we went together was the bears game and i hated evey minute of it.

1996 ?:)

Cyberdoggie
30-07-2012, 12:52 PM
It hurts there is no doubt about it, and it will get worse next year as i'm sure there will be a huge drop off in memberships etc.

There is always up and down periods in football it's usually a fact of life, especially when you throw everything at winning a flag and the planning for the future doesn't end up paying off.

The problem is that we are playing so badly at the moment, and it is so un-inspiring to watch. I can't recall a period where we have kicked so few goals, particularly in second halves.

It's going to be a very dark period for the club until they can get things moving forward again. I just hope the club is prepared financially for it and that they are not making decisions that are going to put the club's future in doubt (ie vfl alignments etc).

Ghost Dog
30-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Minson or Redpath (?) have to go forward, just so we have a tall target. Have to find a way to get more goals.

G-Mo77
30-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Minson or Redpath (?) have to go forward, just so we have a tall target. Have to find a way to get more goals.

Redpath will be lucky to be on the list next season. Just because he's a big unit doesn't mean he's the answer besides that he's out for the rest of the year. The way the ball is delivered the best forwards would struggle to kick goals in this team.

I'd still like to try a guy like Panos before the year is over though.

Not a biggie when it's one or two kids and you are attracting others.
It is a biggie when you are losing heaps of kids and not attracting any.

Happens at every club when the team drops off. Unfortunately we feel it more than most others because of our smaller following. We're planning on having a kid soon so my wife and I need to get the timing spot on to make sure he/she is a Bulldog. :D

LostDoggy
30-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Redpath will be lucky to be on the list next season. Just because he's a big unit doesn't mean he's the answer besides that he's out for the rest of the year. The way the ball is delivered the best forwards would struggle to kick goals in this team.

I'd still like to try a guy like Panos before the year is over though.

Happens at every club when the team drops off. Unfortunately we feel it more than most others because of our smaller following. We're planning on having a kid soon so my wife and I need to get the timing spot on to make sure he/she is a Bulldog. :D

There you go. G-Mo77 — singlehandedly saving our future membership base! Go lad! :)

Remi Moses
30-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Exactly kids chop and change . Just out of interest North only got 20 thou to their game on Saturday.Hawthorn were battling in the mid naughties and nearly merged after ummmm, 5 years without a flag.I'd be mortified if the club took a short term approach to things like recruiting . We'd be back to where we are in a heartbeat!

Mantis
30-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Exactly kids chop and change . Just out of interest North only got 20 thou to their game on Saturday.Hawthorn were battling in the mid naughties and nearly merged after ummmm, 5 years without a flag. I'd be mortified if the club took a short term approach to things like recruiting .We'd be back to where we are in a heartbeat!

You only have to look at Richmond as evidence that it can happen. They thought Terry Wallet was the answer to their prayers when he came along with his 5 year plan... But 5 years later they were still a bottom 6 side.

Lucky for them they have a massive supporter base that has stuck fat... I'm not so sure that with a small supporter base, a big debt and in testing economic times we can afford such a long slide.

We have to get this 'refresh' right... but my faith in the parties pulling the strings isn't all that strong.

Remi Moses
30-07-2012, 09:21 PM
You only have to look at Richmond as evidence that it can happen. They thought Terry Wallet was the answer to their prayers when he came along with his 5 year plan... But 5 years later they were still a bottom 6 side.

Lucky for them they have a massive supporter base that has stuck fat... I'm not so sure that with a small supporter base, a big debt and in testing economic times we can afford such a long slide.

We have to get this 'refresh' right... but my faith in the parties pulling the strings isn't all that strong.

Fair point, although the Tigers have a big debt as well.
We've just got to accept in sporting terms we're a small club so when we struggle there's an effect. Use the draft sell the future with the kids and not rehashed fringe footballers.

LostDoggy
31-07-2012, 11:22 AM

I see your point in regards to our finances, etc. but we haven't won a flag since 1954 and we're still here. Yeah, it's tough, but I don't see us folding, we've been there, done that, got the shirt and now smile at the memory. We'll pull through this slump and come out stronger on the other side. Maybe not Collingwood strong. But stronger.

Eastdog
31-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I see your point in regards to our finances, etc. but we haven't won a flag since 1954 and we're still here. Yeah, it's tough, but I don't see us folding, we've been there, done that, got the shirt and now smile at the memory. We'll pull through this slump and come out stronger on the other side. Maybe not Collingwood strong. But stronger.

This is just a bad period for our club - every club has been there. I'm sure we will get to the point of being in the premiership race again and hopefully win next time round. We need good recruiters at the club who know what players to draft and more importantly develop them. This process will take time.

westdog54
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM

Part of Richmond's problem was that their footy department was so poorly resourced that the 5 year plan didn't have a hope in hell of succeeding. With Greg Miller doing the football manager's job and recruiting, the poor facilities they had, was never going to happen.

LostDoggy
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I wrote about the fact that our club is in dire need of a shake, the board, the footy department and yes the coach are not up to it, on top of this we have several players that are just turning up for the money.

Names?

I dont see the bulldog spirit of ol, Teddy and Charlie would be rolling in the grave to see this sort of stuff.

At Charlie's funeral, one of the main things driven home to us about Charlie was that he never potted a player. He stuck fat through thick and thin for 70 years. If he is indeed turning in the grave, it's at the attitude of some of our fans.

Will a change of presidency change the club culture, prob not,…

Then why do it?

…will a shake up of the footy department do anything in the short term, flip a coin.

So why would we risk the upheaval at a time of rebuilding?

Like it or not we are dead in the water for at least five years, I cant see it being any earlier then that. So, get use to low membership, low attendance and lack of money folks it is 1995/6 all over again.

I had so many responses to what you wrote, I just had to split your post up. Go watch Year Of The Dogs. We are nowhere near where we were in 1996.

Part of Richmond's problem was that their footy department was so poorly resourced that the 5 year plan didn't have a hope in hell of succeeding. With Greg Miller doing the football manager's job and recruiting, the poor facilities they had, was never going to happen.

Absolutely right. Whether his plan was the right one or not, a key part of any plan's success is in it's execution.

LostDoggy
03-08-2012, 08:23 AM

You need to be firm, this is what I said to my two boys aged 8 & 5.
Boys in life you can change many things, car, house, hell you can even change your wife or girlfriend.

But one thing you can never change is your footy team! then my 5 year old started to cry:p

bornadog
03-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Boys in life you can change many things, car, house, hell you can even change your wife or girlfriend.

But one thing you can never change is your footy team! then my 5 year old started to cry:p

Love it!!!! :D:D:D

LostDoggy
03-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Hehe, I said something similar: “You can make every single life choice for yourself, and I'll support you 100%. One life choice you don't get.”

Maddog37
03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I tell my kids (10 and 7) they can choose for themselves but if they change teams they will need to find somewhere else to live.