PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview: Round 19 Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne

The Pie Man
01-08-2012, 05:42 PM
WHEN AND WHERE

Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne, Etihad Stadium, 1:45pm Saturday 4th August

WHEN THEY LAST MET

Round 7, 2012 North Melbourne 12.11 - 83 defeated by Western Bulldogs 15.11 – 101

Best Players - Kangaroos
Thompson, Anthony, Thomas & Wells

Best Players - Bulldogs
Boyd, Griffen, Wallis, Lake, Dickson, Gia & Sherman

Major Goal Kickers
Kangaroos - Petrie 3, Thomas 3
Bulldogs – Dickson 4, Gia 3

Looking back on what was an impressive win at the time, this game certainly was a false dawn. We smashed North at CP (sorry, had to point it out ;)) yet despite the Roos labeling this one of their most disappointing efforts of 2012, we only won by 3 goals.

WHAT WOOF HAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS GAME

Very proud of the side. Veszpremi had a good game, Austin played really well, Minson slaughtered North's rucks, Cordy was impressive, Lake and Griffen back to their best etc.

Austin- Solid, spoiled well and took some nice marks. He's pushing for a permanent spot

Wallis- Outstanding, won the ball in close beautifully and used it with composure. Best game of his career and could pool Brownlow votes.

Cordy- Second half was very good, took some nice contested marks and looked like he belonged out there. His missed shot at goal was a horror though.

Sherman's work rate, particularly in the last quarter, was sensational.

Our defensive efforts across the entire ground were terrific today. We hunted the ball carriers and put them under enormous pressure all day. Our back half is decimated by injury but we still got on top in that area. I love seeing a team work together as one and it seems like it's more cohesive each week.

Boomer Harvey again is going to be sleeping with one eye open worrying if Picken will come and say hello.

Loved the way Crossy back into packs today, besides a mini mark Petrie took over him time after time he puts his body on the line, cant fault him for lack of hardness.

Great effort by Tory Dickson. His goals were earned the hard way. It must be very satisfying to know you can compete at the top level.

How long ago does this feel now? :eek:

THE LAST 5 GAMES AGAINST NORTH MELBOURNE

Round 7, 2012 North Melbourne 12.11 - 83 defeated by Western Bulldogs 15.11 – 101
Round 17, 17 Jul 2011 Etihad Stadium North Melbourne defeats Western Bulldogs
Round 18, 1 Aug 2010 Etihad Stadium Western Bulldogs defeat North Melbourne
Round 9, 22 May 2010 Etihad Stadium North Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs
Round 13, 28 Jun 2009 MCG North Melbourne defeated by Western Bulldogs

FORMLINE

BULLDOGS 0 wins and 5 losses
St Kilda - Loss
Carlton - Loss
Hawthorn - Loss
Fremantle - Loss
Essendon - Loss

KANGAROOS 4 wins and 1 loss
Melbourne - Win
Richmond - Win
Carlton - Win
West Coast - Loss
St Kilda - Win

THE BULLDOGS LAST OUTING

Western Bulldogs lost to St Kilda by 76 points

THE KANGAROOS LAST OUTING

North Melbourne beat Melbourne by 54 points

KANGAROOS IN FORM

Swallow, Goldstein, Harvey, Gibson, Anthony & Cunnington were all key performers against Melbourne, while Wells, Bastinac, Petrie & Tarrant were also contributors.

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS

Sherman & Addison contributed heavily to Williamstown’s win over Port Melbourne, with Hargrave, Talia & Roberts apparently also impressive. JJ seems likely to make his debut after being rested from the VFL and recently promoted to the senior list.

POSSIBLE OMMISSIONS

We will miss Cross, who has had a very good season and continues to show his teammates what playing for us means. I’d be nervous if I were any one of Jones, Howard or Veszpremi.

KEY MATCH-UPS

Lake V Petrie
While probably the easiest matchup to predict, it also should be one of the more intriguing of the day, with both players looking for redemption of some sort. Petrie has been quite the thorn in our side over the years, with one explosive effort in Archer’s 300th highlighting what he’s capable of – though despite Brian giving up an early goal in their last encounter, Lake had his measure, so I’m sure Drew is looking for a better return this time around….while Brian had a day he’d rather forget pitted againt Riewoldt last week. Soundly out-worked for the duration, he’ll be looking to bounce back this week.

Picken v Harvey
You’d expect Liam to resume his battle vs Harvey, whose form is still very solid after all these years. Says a fair bit about North’s emerging midfield that despite his continued high output, Harvey isn’t the automatic tag he once was.

Grant vs Tarrant
This maybe controversial with Hargrave and maybe even Markovic possible inclusions, though Grant was serviceable down back last week, and will likely be needed on the mobile Tarrant who slotted 4 against Melbourne last week. I would rather leave Williams forward to continue working on a promising switch, though maybe one of Talia or Roberts could debut and see this as their preferred match-up. Austin’s absence hurts here, as he was very impressive last time round against North.

Wallis vs Swallow
Swallow is in terrific form, and will need someone to use him as their ‘starting point.’ Pitting Mitch onto Swallow would continue the educational theme instigated with his game on Sam Mitchell a few weeks back, and it will be crucial he pays him the respect required.

Murphy vs Thomas **
Bob habitually marks the better small forwards these days, and Thomas rates up there when on song. The hope as always is that he can curb his influence while providing some rebound when he finds it.

** EDIT : Thomas has been rubbed out - Bob still likely to play shutdown, so remit the same

FOR THE DOGS TO WIN

A lot has to go right – we’re really up against it here as you would expect. Our in-ability to score is obviously a major hurdle, though our tackling (currently ranked 12th per game) isn’t good enough to be competitive and pressure the opposition like we are pressured regularly. Minson is having a very, very good year, and winning some consistent meaningful clearances so our small forwards can win some clean ball I50 will be vital to even remaining within touch.

SUMMARY AND PREDICTIONS

North will be embarrassed by our last meeting, and a combination of this sting and having too much to play for in consolidating 8th spot will see the Roos by…..I hesitated writing this, but I honestly think it will be in the 70+ range.

bornadog
01-08-2012, 06:49 PM
A man of man talents not only can you source products but this preview is another in the long line of brilliant reading from woof posters

We have really dropped off with our tackling and were ranked in the top 2 to 3 early in the season. I cant see how we are going to kick goals unless we get drive from the back line and take on the opposition instead of chipping it around.

Axe Man
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Lindsay Thomas has been suspended so Bob won't have to worry about him.;)

Petrie doesn't cover the ground that Riewoldt does so hopefully this matchup will suit Brian better. Picken to Harvey a no brainer. Grant to Tarrant is an interesting one. Grant really seemed to lose Wilkes at times last week and was only let off by some poor kicking for goal. Maybe worth persisting with for Grant's development, but I would worry that Tarrant is too big and strong and that Grant's defensive instincts are lacking.

azabob
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Great preview Pie Man especially the what woof said last time.

The Pie Man
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Lindsay Thomas has been suspended so Bob won't have to worry about him.;)

Petrie doesn't cover the ground that Riewoldt does so hopefully this matchup will suit Brian better. Picken to Harvey a no brainer. Grant to Tarrant is an interesting one. Grant really seemed to lose Wilkes at times last week and was only let off by some poor kicking for goal. Maybe worth persisting with for Grant's development, but I would worry that Tarrant is too big and strong and that Grant's defensive instincts are lacking.

Re: in bold - he is? &$@!?)&@

So no Thomas for Murph.

Agreed that Lake is much better suited to Petrie than Reiwoldt, expecting a much better showing from Brian this week.

Also agree that Grant isn't ideal for Tarrant - would be interesting to see if he can compete with someone his size.

Maddog37
01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Surely Talia or Roberts might be ok on a Tarrant or Hanson.

Greystache
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Great job Pie Man, some nice new introductions.

I'm not confident just based on our recent form, but this will be a game of two completely contrasting styles and if we can really crack in I think we can upset Norf's gameplan. We need to really exert some physicality on the contest.

SlimPickens
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Great read Pie Man.

You've taken previews to a new level in what is a difficult time for our footy club.

Although I think we will lose I'm hoping we can stick around and be difficult to play against for much longer this week.

westdog54
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Best review I've read all year. I congratulate you.

It would be a dirty day for North if we were to get within 8 goals of them to be honest. We're being shown up for second half fitness and I expect more of the same next year.

Dry Rot
01-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Great preview Pie Man especially the what woof said last time.

+1. Ripper preview.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Great work Pie Man, under trying conditions.

Unfortunately I think you're right, it'll be another 10+ goal loss.

Cyberdoggie
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Did we really score 101 points and have a win???

I'm sure that must of been a season or two ago. :p

Maddog37
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Did we really score 101 points and have a win???

I'm sure that must of been a season or two ago. :p

Seems like a decade ago!

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks very much Pieman for a really good preview. I would like to see Grant back on the forward line, with Talia to make his debut against Tarrant or Hansen. I would like to see Addison return to the back pocket to allow Murphy to be more effective further afield. Your 70+ margin could well be right, given our current forward line where only Dahlhaus and Dickson have been good performers. Daniel Cross will be sorely missed as he has been one of our better players this year. You would like to think that Wood and Cooney might be fit enough to play particularly now that Cross is missing for the season. It is sad to see how dramatically we have fallen away over the past 4-6 weeks.