PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs show faith in youth

G-Mo77
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/08/01/1226440/670990-mitch-wallis.jpg

FREE agents need not apply for work at Whitten Oval.

Dogs director and club legend Chris Grant yesterday declared the club had eyes only for the draft and development.

"From a supporters perspective it's probably easy to look at the middle part of the demographics of our team and say there's not much in the middle - we should try and fill that up. But we're so impressed with guys like Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore and Clay Smith that we just think that will be filled quite quickly," Grant told the Herald Sun.

"And because we've got a hold of some good ones already we feel like our philosophy is just to continue to add to that and really develop the right way to play right from the age of 17 or 18.

"We're pretty strong on that."

Two selections in the first 10 of November's national draft will help, thanks to the Callan Ward compensation pick.

On current ladder positions, the Dogs will snare picks five and six.

It's all part of a long-term strategy Grant says, even if the view from outside looks grim.

"I can't put a length of time on it, but it's amazing how things can actually come together," he said.

"I think under a really good development program we actually might progress quite well. But the challenge for us is to make the absolute most of the opportunity while we've got guys like Robert Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Daniel Cross and Brian Lake."

Grant's call for patience came as the club took the unusual step of writing to 16,000 member households to explain the club's state of affairs.

The letter was signed by captain Matthew Boyd, chief executive Simon Garlick, president David Smorgon, coach Brendan McCartney and Grant.

"Over recent years we came close to achieving our on-field aims, but not close enough," the letter says.

"In light of this, we have taken decisions and made the changes that were needed to give us the best chance of success.

"We have started this journey, one which will require patience, perseverance and discipline for all of us to stay on track and to not deviate from our path.

"Now, more than ever, is the time to stick together to ensure we maximise the opportunity for us to taste success."

Grant yesterday revealed the Bulldogs were:

NOT interested in Travis Cloke or other free agents.

UNLIKELY to send Adam Cooney out to pasture, despite his chronic knee.

ON track to record a fifth straight profit.

SET to boost football department spending in 2013 with an emphasis on list management and recruitment.

UNDECIDED about fielding a standalone VFL side.

Smorgon will retire at the end of next year but Grant said he had no interest in the Dogs' top job.

Asked about a push by some supporters for a return to the Footscray name, Grant said: "No. We're about winning the western suburbs of Melbourne.

"I understand that there's an emotional and historical attachment to the old name, but being the Western Bulldogs makes absolute sense."

The 341-game champion said players on the brink of retirement would not be forced out the door.

"We've got some genuinely good blokes who have played a lot of footy for us and we will be very, very respectful to them," Grant said.

He nominated youngster Daniel Pearce as a future star to join Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus, Clay Smith, Ayce Cordy and Tom Liberatore.

"We're not shying away from the fact that we're not performing well," he said.

"But we can't expect our first, second and third year players to be driving the on-field performance, that's hanging those kids out to dry.

"Jordan Roughead played centre-half-back for the first time in his career ever on the weekend and acquitted himself really well."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/bulldogs-show-faith-in-youth/story-e6frf9jf-1226440670721

bornadog
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
About time we came out and said we are in development mode.

(PS: G-MO77, can you please get rid of the italics)

Ghost Dog
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Who is likely to replace Mr Smorg-on?

Desipura
02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Onya Granty, never would I question your motives.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I admire Chris Grant's optimism but Pearce, Cordy and Smith still haven't been convincing enough to suggest they are future stars. I also must have missed something if Roughead as quoted played well last week at centre half back. I recall he was an average performer at FB on Kosi. Dahlhaus, Wallis and Liberatore have certainly shown enough to suggest that they are our future. We are still reeling from the losses of Hall, Ward, Morris plus the long term injuries this year to the likes of Williams, Cooney, Wood and Markovic, together with the drop off in form of club stalwarts, Gia, Gilbee and Hargrave.

G-Mo77
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
(PS: G-MO77, can you please get rid of the italics)

Why? It's to emphasize that what was written by me and what wasn't. I didn't add anything after the article so I guess it doesn't matter but if I were to then it would get lost with the rest of it.

Sorry it wasn't up to your lofty standards and I guess WOOF's as well. :o

LostDoggy
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I admire Chris Grant's optimism but Pearce, Cordy and Smith still haven't been convincing enough to suggest they are future stars. I also must have missed something if Roughead as quoted played well last week at centre half back. I recall he was an average performer at FB on Kosi. Dahlhaus, Wallis and Liberatore have certainly shown enough to suggest that they are our future. We are still reeling from the losses of Hall, Ward, Morris plus the long term injuries this year to the likes of Williams, Cooney, Wood and Markovic, together with the drop off in form of club stalwarts, Gia, Gilbee and Hargrave.

Grant said he played well for someone who'd never played there in his career.

Cordy is a future star. No doubt. Write it down, stick it on your wall, and in five years' time, tell me what you think.

I'm glad the Dogs are finally doing it the right way — the hard way.

LostDoggy
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Cordy is a future star. No doubt. Write it down, stick it on your wall, and in five years' time, tell me what you think.

The hard way?

We've been doing it the hard way for 60 &%&$#& years!

bornadog
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Why? It's to emphasize that what was written by me and what wasn't. I didn't add anything after the article so I guess it doesn't matter but if I were to then it would get lost with the rest of it.

Sorry it wasn't up to your lofty standards and I guess WOOF's as well. :o

Hey, don't take it personally, it was very hard to read that way. Thanks for changing.

LostDoggy
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
The hard way?

We've been doing it the hard way for 60 &%&$#& years!

To clarify: I'm glad we're taking the long view, and building a team from scratch, rather than trading in other club's rejects (no disrespect to them, but let's be honest, we've had few players come to us that were wanted at their club) and hoping for the best.

mighty_west
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Agree 100%.

Short term pain for long term pain, build the kids up and drum in their heads from the moment they walk in the door to get their hands dirty, we have to remember that alot of these kids being drafted are the best players in their respective clubs and leagues, so alot of them have not needed to do the real hard stuff , the dirty stuff, the stuff that is required to win Premierships in the big league.

It was so frustrating seeing us reach finals only to be picked apart by bigger harder edged teams, and slayed on the counter attack, that's where we need to get to, to be those teams that bully not just the bottom teams, but the better sides as well.

bulldogsman
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
The 341-game champion said players on the brink of retirement would not be forced out the door.

I don't understand the need for both Gilbee and Hargrave to be kept on. I think a call needs to be made on at least one of them.

G-Mo77
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't understand the need for both Gilbee and Hargrave to be kept on. I think a call needs to be made on at least one of them.

That's what worries me the most about this article. We have to make hard decisions to go forward. There is always loyalty and wanting to let a player walk away on their own terms but that has hurt us a lot in the past.

Maddog37
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe they feel that the older guys can breach the gap in our list. Rather than recruit 24-27 year olds just hang on to the older guys a bit longer until Dal etc get games under their belts.

Maddog37
02-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Agree 100%.

Short term pain for long term pain, build the kids up and drum in their heads from the moment they walk in the door to get their hands dirty, we have to remember that alot of these kids being drafted are the best players in their respective clubs and leagues, so alot of them have not needed to do the real hard stuff , the dirty stuff, the stuff that is required to win Premierships in the big league.

It was so frustrating seeing us reach finals only to be picked apart by bigger harder edged teams, and slayed on the counter attack, that's where we need to get to, to be those teams that bully not just the bottom teams, but the better sides as well.

Not sure this is an ideal strategy MW.:D

G-Mo77
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe they feel that the older guys can breach the gap in our list. Rather than recruit 24-27 year olds just hang on to the older guys a bit longer until Dal etc get games under their belts.

Possibly. They are taking a spot on the list though which is just as important.

chef
02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
NOT interested in Travis Cloke or other free agents.

Serious?

We have a heap of salary cap rooms, so we would be stupid not to try and get someone.

Remi Moses
02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Should have been done at the start of the season IMO.
The "see how they go" brigade won't by a membership if we're battling at 1 and 5.
Sell the future it's the only way, and the bumping up the recruiting and coaching is good news!

AndrewP6
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not convinced in the wisdom of flat-out refusing to look at any FA. If one was around that fitted a need, and a deal can be done, why the hell not? I'm not saying get someone in the twilight of their career, but to me, flat-out rejecting the idea is unwise.

Remi Moses
03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not convinced in the wisdom of flat-out refusing to look at any FA. If one was around that fitted a need, and a deal can be done, why the hell not? I'm not saying get someone in the twilight of their career, but to me, flat-out rejecting the idea is unwise.

Most of the free agents are in the second half of their careers.Pointless if we picked up someone just for the sake of it.

Dancin' Douggy
03-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Maybe keeping old guys past their use by date is the 'new tanking'.

AndrewP6
03-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Most of the free agents are in the second half of their careers.Pointless if we picked up someone just for the sake of it.

Correct, as I said, we don't want someone in the twilight of their career.

chef
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Agree.

We can still find someone who can fill a role/need, teach and be a role model/example for the kids in our term. We could find someone in their mid 20's which means we could get up to 6 seasons out of them.

Why do we need to rule this out in August:confused:

Mofra
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Re: the older generation for an extra year - is this not a factor in list management as well?

Show a small amount of loyalty for 10+ players to ask it of other players - Griff didn't walk to Essendon despite a larger offer (GWS establishment was a black swan event).

Bulldog4life
03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Agree.

We can still find someone who can fill a role/need, teach and be a role model/example for the kids in our term. We could find someone in their mid 20's which means we could get up to 6 seasons out of them.

Agree. Got to keep an open mind on all scenarios.

westdog54
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Agree.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130821/default.aspx

Who on that list fits your criteria?

LostDoggy
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM

We also need to be careful not to do a Melbourne: Sing the youth song, dump respected senior leaders and in the process convince every single player on your list that it's every man for himself.

Not sure this is an ideal strategy MW.:D

I should get you blokes to proof-read my websites for me.

Serious?

We have a heap of salary cap rooms, so we would be stupid not to try and get someone.

We'd also be stupid to tie up too much of our salary cap on speculative players. Better to develop a young star and then have the cap room to pay him enough that he stays.

To be an unrestricted free agent, they have to have played at least 8 years at the one club, and not be in the top 10 paid players at their club (unless he's played more than 10 and come out of contract twice since 8 *phew*). (If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me).

8-10 years = Ranges from 26-27 and not in the top 10 at his club, to 28-29. Not really ideal fodder for a rebuild. Refresh, yes, but that's a whole other argument. :) These players are better suited to clubs on the way up, in my view.

Re: the older generation for an extra year - is this not a factor in list management as well?

Show a small amount of loyalty for 10+ players to ask it of other players - Griff didn't walk to Essendon despite a larger offer (GWS establishment was a black swan event).

Exactamundo!

chef
03-08-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130821/default.aspx

Who on that list fits your criteria?

Chris Knights, Jed Adcock, Jordan Russell, Matthew Bate, Jared Rivers and Jarred Moore are all players IMO that could add to our list without stunting the development of our kids and more importantly could be available.

There is plenty more I would like but they probably won't want to change clubs.

No one there that you would like in our team?

azabob
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Chris Knights, Jed Adcock, Jordan Russell, Matthew Bate, Jared Rivers and Jarred Moore are all players IMO that could add to our list without stunting the development of our kids and more importantly could be available.

There is plenty more I would like but they probably won't want to change clubs.

No one there that you would like in our team?

I don't think the players in bold would add value a all.

chef
03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't think the players in bold would add value a all.

Fair enough each to their own.

I don't expect us to go after a star from another team, but we could pick someone up who can fill a hole and perform a role for us.

DragzLS1
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I think if the opportunity is there we would go after somebody we really need. I do not expect them to be open about I though! Imagine you were a young guy on our list and all of a sudden the club starts talking openly about trading for somebody in your position I.e CHF. It wouldn't help the youngsters mentally..

azabob
03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Fair enough each to their own.

I don't expect us to go after a star from another team, but we could pick someone up who can fill a hole and perform a role for us.

True, but I don't want to overpay for them and coming via free agency that is highly likely. Prime example is Sherman.

G-Mo77
03-08-2012, 08:32 PM

I quite like Moore. Don't know if he's someone we really need though. His nickname is Bulldog. :)

Adcock would be OK, at 27 (28 next year), I don't see the point. Rivers, hmm? Probably not.

The rest no interest at all if it were up to me.

chef
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
True, but I don't want to overpay for them and coming via free agency that is highly likely. Prime example is Sherman.

But he was a trade(and a dumb one) and not a FA.

If we can pick some one up and not have to give up anything to do it then we should go for it. We are seriously going to have a lot of cap room opening up between now and the next 3 seasons because of retirements.

azabob
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
But he was a trade(and a dumb one) and not a FA.

If we can pick some one up and not have to give up anything to do it then we should go for it. We are seriously going to have a lot of cap room opening up between now and the next 3 seasons because of retirements.

Sorry Chef I mean we have overpaid him $ wise and I feel to get anyone via free agency you will have to over pay them $ wise. If we can get them and pay them what they should be on, yeah let's look at them.

chef
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry Chef I mean we have overpaid him $ wise and I feel to get anyone via free agency you will have to over pay them $ wise. If we can get them and pay them what they should be on, yeah let's look at them.

Fair enough mate.

strebla
10-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Why not bottom end our young up and comming players in Libba Wallis Smith and co so in 3or 4 years they are all tied up and if we then have a requirement with an open window get a FA. makes no sense overpaying with our window painted shut IMHO .

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Why not bottom end our young up and comming players in Libba Wallis Smith and co so in 3or 4 years they are all tied up and if we then have a requirement with an open window get a FA. makes no sense overpaying with our window painted shut IMHO .

The problem with front ending contracts is that when the contract finishes and you have to go back to a normal contract, you have to give them massive pay rises. If you have brought in a free agent you won't have room for them, then the vultures circle with the big $$$ and you are in a fight to keep them.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I quite like Moore. Don't know if he's someone we really need though. His nickname is Bulldog. :)

Adcock would be OK, at 27 (28 next year), I don't see the point. Rivers, hmm? Probably not.

The rest no interest at all if it were up to me.

These type of players do not help our key forward woes which needs to be our number one priority. Any FA recruiting should be aimed at where our greatest needs are going forward.