PDA

View Full Version : Round 19 - Other Matches

Eastdog
02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
For all discussion of the other Round 19 matches. Starts tomorrow night with Geelong taking on Hawthorn. Will the Hawks break the duck against the Cats or will the Cats keep their winning record against the Hawks.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Actually looking forward to the game tomorrow, should be a cracker. Hoping for a Cats win.

Eastdog
03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Actually looking forward to the game tomorrow, should be a cracker. Hoping for a Cats win.

Tipped the Hawks tonight. I think they will break the duck but it would not surprise me if Geelong win.

Maddog37
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel that if the Hawks win they might win big.

Eastdog
03-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Cats off to a flyer.

Eastdog
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Hawks in trouble and not even qtr time. This will hurt them psychologically. Clarko may punch the wall again. :D

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
It's amazing; Hawthorn can just never find space when they play Geelong and continually get out-muscled and out-smarted.

chef
03-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Wow. What a quarter by Geelong.

Eastdog
03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
It's amazing; Hawthorn can just never find space when they play Geelong and continually get out-muscled and out-smarted.

Looks like the winning streak for Geelong against Hawthorn is going to continue unless Hawthorn make a miraculous comeback.

azabob
03-08-2012, 09:24 PM

It is strange. The last contest between Pods and Gibson summed the quarter perfectly, even though he missed the goal.

Remi Moses
03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Amazing by the Cats.You'd be sweaty palmed as atop 4 team losing the first final.
Could be a good earner for the MCG plasterer on Weekend rates!:eek:

jeemak
03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Hawthorn has behind Essendon the most comprehensive audible whinge when watching the game on the box. It's even worse from the stands. I remember I sat in the corporate box behind their members in a Bulldogs vs Hawks game at the G in 2010 and they were out of control.

The sense of entitlement from their supporters is palpable.

Great start by the Cats though. The game will open up and Geelong will struggle to maintain their current level, so it's certainly not over if the Hawks are within 24 points at 3/4 time.

Remi Moses
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Hawthorn has behind Essendon the most comprehensive audible whinge when watching the game on the box. It's even worse from the stands. I remember I sat in the corporate box behind their members in a Bulldogs vs Hawks game at the G in 2010 and they were out of control.

The sense of entitlement from their supporters is palpable.

Great start by the Cats though. The game will open up and Geelong will struggle to maintain their current level, so it's certainly not over if the Hawks are within 24 points at 3/4 time.

They jump of pretty quick to.
Nearly merged after going 5 years without a flag!:eek:
Got awful turnouts in the mid naughties as well! Had the worst crowd at the G in the 2000's, I think it was only 11 thou against Port in 04.

Eastdog
03-08-2012, 11:35 PM
What a finish. The Hawks are cursed and the Cats continue their unbeaten run against them. You would not want to meet Geelong in the first week of the finals.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I really hate Geelong, given I live down this way, but they continually find a way to beat Hawthorn. I'd be livid if I was a Hawks man.

Composure told a tale. Puopolo screwed it -- I remember him making critical errors v Collingwood in the PF too. I like his endeavour, but in these tight games, he makes a habit of coughing up the ball.

Shoenmakers is still suspect against quality KPFs.

Bulldog Joe
03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Well that wa some game.
Brilliant opesning by Geelong, fantastic comeback by Hawthorn and then Geelong goal on the siren to maintain the streak.

Most exciting game I have watched this year.

jeemak
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I really hate Geelong, given I live down this way, but they continually find a way to beat Hawthorn. I'd be livid if I was a Hawks man.

Composure told a tale. Puopolo screwed it -- I remember him making critical errors v Collingwood in the PF too. I like his endeavour, but in these tight games, he makes a habit of coughing up the ball.

I think a lot of Hawthorn's game is susceptible to one on one pressure. Thing is though, you have to limit their effectiveness each time you have a lapse and can't maintain that style when the game opens up, which it will.

The rest of the year will be interesting, as I think Hawthorn have been the first of the contenders to really hit their straps from a fitness and preparation point of view. If other teams can catch up and play at an intense level where they can limit the space the Hawks have for large portions of the game their kicking game will come unstuck.

bornadog
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Hawks had a few opportunities to slow things down in the last minute but were determined to continue an all out attack. I actually hate players trying to kick the ball off the deck, why Puopolo didn't try and grab the ball is any ones guess.

Remi Moses
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
It's amazing what pressure does to players.
Shocking error from poppy, great kick from Hawkins.
Hawthorn monstered in the back half, Stat was 12 contested marks inside 50.
Ripping game though

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I think a lot of Hawthorn's game is susceptible to one on one pressure. Thing is though, you have to limit their effectiveness each time you have a lapse and can't maintain that style when the game opens up, which it will.

The rest of the year will be interesting, as I think Hawthorn have been the first of the contenders to really hit their straps from a fitness and preparation point of view. If other teams can catch up and play at an intense level where they can limit the space the Hawks have for large portions of the game their kicking game will come unstuck.

Yep.

I am not sure the other sides have it mentally and physically over Hawthorn like Geelong do, though. Chapman, Johnson, Scarlett, Selwood, Taylor and Bartel (quiet tonight) have made a habit of out pointing Hawthorn in the hard contested footy.

Geelong's pressure has been immense the last few weeks, starting with that dominant win over Essendon.

I think Hawthorn are better than Collingwood*, Sydney and West Coast but if they have to face Geelong in a final, it's hard to see them winning. They are mentally choked by the task of beating them.

* Collingwood need Dawes and specifically Cloke to get back to their best form. Do that and they can beat Hawthorn, who just can't contain monster forwards.

Hawks had a few opportunities to slow things down in the last minute but were determined to continue an all out attack. I actually hate players trying to kick the ball off the deck, why Puopolo didn't try and grab the ball is any ones guess.

Hard to know what was going through his head. I suppose he thought he was under pressure, but it was a really stupid decision.

Maddog37
03-08-2012, 11:57 PM
How good is Enright!

Enjoyed seeing the Hawks get out muscled. Took them a while to wake up but Mitchell and Sewell came good. If Mitchell is quiet then the Hawks are nowhere near as impressive. Strange that he is no longer captain but is now the spiritual leader.

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Do you think if Franklin played tonight for Hawthorn they would have won?

Topdog
04-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Very very very generous way of wording it

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Very very very generous way of wording it

I know, but I suppose he's had a decent year to date. Tonight was his biggest challenge yet though and he failed miserably on so many levels.

jeemak
04-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Yep.

I am not sure the other sides have it mentally and physically over Hawthorn like Geelong do, though. Chapman, Johnson, Scarlett, Selwood, Taylor and Bartel (quiet tonight) have made a habit of out pointing Hawthorn in the hard contested footy.

Geelong's pressure has been immense the last few weeks, starting with that dominant win over Essendon.

I think Hawthorn are better than Collingwood*, Sydney and West Coast but if they have to face Geelong in a final, it's hard to see them winning. They are mentally choked by the task of beating them.

* Collingwood need Dawes and specifically Cloke to get back to their best form. Do that and they can beat Hawthorn, who just can't contain monster forwards.

Hard to know what was going through his head. I suppose he thought he was under pressure, but it was a really stupid decision.

Personally, I don't think the mental side of it comes in to it. Since 2008, Geelong has been much more settled with respect to injuries and talent on the park every time they've played the Hawks. Plus, they've had a team that knows how to win against pretty much all contenders.

Game plan comes in to it as well. Tonight we saw a team that was prepared to fight it out with intense one on one football against the Hawks for at least a quarter and a half, and for other periods throughout the game where they could still be competitive through stopping the Hawks run and carry for extended periods. This type of football isn't sustainable, and you need sufficient talent and nouse to hold off an opposition like Hawthorn to hold your lead. What's important though, was Geelong capitalised on their opportunities when they had them. Any team trying to negate Hawthorn needs to do the same, otherwise they'll get burned. I'm not confident Geelong have it in them to do the same when the whips are cracking at the end of the year.

I think the Hawks will be a very good chance to go all the way, though they're suspect in the ways our teams were in 2008-2009 were in some respects. Though, they seem to have that little bit of extra class, it's bloody hard in finals footy to hit up targets all the time.

KT31
04-08-2012, 01:07 AM

In a word, yes.

jeemak
04-08-2012, 01:27 AM

It would have changed the dynamic of the game, that's for sure, though not enough to stop the first quarter onslaught from Geelong. Hawthorn were asleep to Geelong's tactics in the first part of the game, and paid the price henceforth.

When Hawthorn started winning the ball in space Franklin would have helped a great deal, and would have finished off their work. But the ball goes back to the centre of the ground each time a goal is scored, and as a result the Hawks ability to apply pressure on forward movement from Geelong's defense would have been eliminated.

Plus, if Franklin played tonight he would have been a chance to tear a hammy, just like he was in the game he came back for instead of having a rest. I think the Hawks will rue the decision not to rest him against GWS. His injury is going to be a factor all year, as once you tear one you're a chance to do another one again very easily. It's a crap muscle to injure.

Bulldog Joe
04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Hawthorn have been in red hot form and it was agreat fightback.

Concerns for them in the back half. West Coast and Collingwood also have big forwards to trouble them.

Suckling, who has been used to set up things was a non factor.

Hotdog60
04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
How good is Enright!

Enjoyed seeing the Hawks get out muscled. Took them a while to wake up but Mitchell and Sewell came good. If Mitchell is quiet then the Hawks are nowhere near as impressive. Strange that he is no longer captain but is now the spiritual leader.

I'm not having a go at you Maddog37 but were did spiritual leader come from?
This is becoming a comment that makes me what to throw up, was it Bruce on seven?
Sounds very American and it's crept into the commentary on TV a lot and sounds like footballers are namby pamby.

LostDoggy
04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Well personally I came away from this game thinking Hawthorns strangle hold on this years premiership is even tighter.

They were 50+ points down.. Geelong were clearly more hungry and wanted it more in that first quarter. This won't be the case come September.

Hawthorns ability to come from that far back to be in a winnable position was outstanding. Yes they made some criticle errors down the stretch, but by golly they will be extremely tough to beat come September.

Maddog37
04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Hotdog, i agree. My comment was tongue in cheek. Hard to get subtle humour across at times.

The commentators all seem to wet their pants over hawthorn.

Maddog37
04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Well personally I came away from this game thinking Hawthorns strangle hold on this years premiership is even tighter.

They were 50+ points down.. Geelong were clearly more hungry and wanted it more in that first quarter. This won't be the case come September.

Hawthorns ability to come from that far back to be in a winnable position was outstanding. Yes they made some criticle errors down the stretch, but by golly they will be extremely tough to beat come September.

My worry would be that they have peaked too early. In 2008 they were in this sort of form at exactly the right time.

Remi Moses
04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Freo creaming The Eagles.
Pavlich is carrying the Dockers to the finals
Bombres under pressure now, and if the Pies win
Bye Bye Stkilda

westdog54
04-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Primus would have to gone after today, wouldn't he?

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Primus would have to gone after today, wouldn't he?

It was an embarrassment for Port Adelaide today. There is a club in real trouble.

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Collingwood lucky to win in the end to just hold off the Saints. That free kick to Collingwood was controversy.

Remi Moses
05-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Don't care if I sound bitter. Just take a look at the 09 prelim.

Remi Moses
05-08-2012, 12:14 AM
It was an embarrassment for Port Adelaide today. There is a club in real trouble.

Just looked at the port board on BF.
Peter Rohde also in the gun, think Primus and a few others will go as well.
Thought Port would be a fair bit better this season.
Noticed Ward was BOG, to just emphasize what a joke we received:mad:

G-Mo77
05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I hate the Saturday night commentary team. All we here about from BT and Richo Tattoos, hair cuts and pink underwear. That of course is in between the barracking for Collingwood from BT.

Great blokes, shit commentators.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I hate the Saturday night commentary team. All we here about from BT and Richo Tattoos, hair cuts and pink underwear. That of course is in between the barracking for Collingwood from BT.

Great blokes, shit commentators.

"Big Boy" was shitting me to tears. Rex Hunt wannabee.

On the game, as much as I hate St Kilda, they got screwed big time. One of the worst frees all year and what a time to do it.

bornadog
05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
On the game, as much as I hate St Kilda, they got screwed big time. One of the worst frees all year and what a time to do it.

Chopping the arms, what a joke

Eastdog
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM

They definitely need to review the umpiring system a bit. Some decisions in matches this year have been really poor. It might cost a team in the finals.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

As much as I hate this rule, (and how much I hate Milne) Milne didn't even touch his arms, O'Brien just dropped it!

soupman
05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
They definitely need to review the umpiring system a bit. Some decisions in matches this year have been really poor.

I don't think it's the umpires fault though. They are being asked to interpret ever changing rules which after a minor incident (ie. Ziebell) all of a sudden have a lot more emphasis put on them. Some of the rules have been designed to help the umpires, like the hands in the back rule, but there are so many now.

The fact that every free pretty much is a slightly different scenario too doesn't help. It isn't black and white like a forward pass in rugby.

Eastdog
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's the umpires fault though. They are being asked to interpret ever changing rules which after a minor incident (ie. Ziebell) all of a sudden have a lot more emphasis put on them. Some of the rules have been designed to help the umpires, like the hands in the back rule, but there are so many now.

The fact that every free pretty much is a slightly different scenario too doesn't help. It isn't black and white like a forward pass in rugby.

How many rule changes have there been this year? You make a good point soupaman in that it doesn't help them and makes it even harder.

Remi Moses
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
As much as I hate this rule, (and how much I hate Milne) Milne didn't even touch his arms, O'Brien just dropped it!

Agree, what cost Milne was he took his eye of the ball.Second term cost Stkilda the game, reckon the Pies should have been further in front.
At least the "Big Boy" BS means they're giving us a spell from the self proclaimed "The Weapon" BS.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Agree, what cost Milne was he took his eye of the ball.Second term cost Stkilda the game, reckon the Pies should have been further in front.
At least the "Big Boy" BS means they're giving us a spell from the self proclaimed "The Weapon" BS.

I Had this conversation with a mate this afternoon. Why should it matter if he took his eyes off the ball if he didn't make contact at all?

comrade
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I Had this conversation with a mate this afternoon. Why should it matter if he took his eyes off the ball if he didn't make contact at all?

Because sometimes they pay frees based on intent, rather than the actual outcome.

And that's why I swear at the footy.

jeemak
06-08-2012, 01:07 AM

Because sometimes they pay frees based on intent, rather than the actual outcome.

And that's why I swear at the footy.

Hahaha, these posts pretty much sum up my thoughts.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 02:22 AM

It shouldn't, but they generally pay it.
Take your eyes of the ball and they pay any form of contact.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Caught the last 10 minutes of the Bombres game.
Brave effort from them, coupled with more injuries.
The self proclaimed " Weapon" has to be some sort of opposition plant.:eek:
I just can't see Adelaide making the GF, I reckon they' ll get to a prelim.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
It shouldn't, but they generally pay it.
Take your eyes of the ball and they pay any form of contact.
Even when there is no contact?
If intimidation is contact then you might be right
It's the dont scare the Collingwood player rule.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Even when there is no contact?
If intimidation is contact then you might be right
It's the dont scare the Collingwood player rule.

Brushed his arm. No free for mine