PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 19

GVGjr
04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
This is the round 19 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Bankers

Addison - great up front, just needed to finish a little better
Griffen - showed a bit of dash
Talia/JJ/Pearce/Rough - Few good signs in backhalf

Anchors

Lake - seemed to struggle a little bit, needs to play tighter though more support would be nice
Grant - 1st rd draft pick - no real impact!
Skinner/Campbell - no real impact, fitness poor

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Bankers

* Dickson- workrate, agility and finishing- If we can get a focal point in attack, he is going to flourish even more.

* Picken - did a great job for most of the day on Wells.
* Some improvement and signs for positivity in the future from many of our kids in the first half, Howard, Tutt, Talia, JJ, Pearce, Libba and Wallis all showed some real glimpses.
* Addison -great game, would've been even better had he kicked straight - has shown though he can really make a half forward position his.

Anchors
* Skinner - Given our need to turnover our list, I just think he's coming from too far back to keep his place on the list
* Our fitness

Desipura
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Bankers: When your opponent gets the ironical cheers for taking a rare mark in the 3rd qtr, you know you have done a good job, well done Roughy!

Libba, Wallis and to lesser extent Pearce showed a bit
Addison was our only real forward who looked like taking a mark and presented well. Jj backed himself at times which was pleasing for a 1st gamer.

Anchors: Skinner never looked like taking a mark and didn't, not up to AFL. This experiment should be over after today.

Lake really let's us down far too much for such an experienced player. His best and worst are poles apart. Another so called leader who goes missing too often when the heat is on.

always right
04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Bankers
Minson.....what a great season he is having
Addison.....rag dolled the opposition today
Roughy....breakout game
Young players.......best we've seen of our young players as a group

Anchors
Lake.....trade him. Second efforts were insipid. So frustrating in recent weeks
Skinner.....simply can't mark the ball but tried hard. Delist.
Fitness.....yes we have a young team but we cannot run out games.

Desipura
04-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Bankers
Roughy....breakout game

Anchors
What would we get for him?

The Pie Man
04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Bankers

Addison - couldn't be more pleased for Dyl to (maybe/nearly) cement a spot in our side. Today was close to his best game for the club

Debutants - JJ looked really good, and Talia didn't do a lot wrong

Macca - for sticking to his guns with Roughead playing back. Not sold on it, but warmed to idea after Jordan's performance today

Anchors

Skinner - tried hard, but couldn't find it. Not AFL standard

2nd half - predictably terrible. Big preseason coming up

Macca - for sticking to his guns playing a ruckman at FF. Here's an idea, HOW ABOUT EXPERIMENTING WITH A FORWARD AT FF??!!??

'Special' mention to Gia, who while he had a good day, stood and watched Dickson run past him to chase and eventually tackle in one stretch of play in the 2nd quarter. Bitterly disappointing to witness (while really liking Dickson's work)

always right
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
What would we get for him?

Don't know but a club thinking they are on the virge of success might be interested.

I just don't want to see him going through the motions when he has young blokes around him busting their guts. Nowadays Brian is very selective as to when he makes an effort.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Bankers
Roughy....breakout game

Anchors

No. Brian should not get traded. He starts paying us back what he owes us. Starting next week.

bornadog
04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Bankers

Addison - I knew Chops was right about a forward role:D Looked the most dangerous up forward, lets keep him there.

Smith - Tired in the end but never stopped running and putting in with 9 tackles. His kicking let him down a bit very very impressive.

JJ - Great debut, has speed, can actually kick a ball. I would promote him to the seniors next year.

Anchors

The MC for showing faith in DJ, because I am telling you now, he aint a player at this level.

Griffen - Really disappointed with this year. Wastes a lot of the ball (kicking efficiency is worse than Boyds but never gets bagged like Boyd). He just hasn't influenced any games and his kicking for goal is atrocious.

Lake - Looks like he has piled on the weight he took off preseason, just looks lethargic.

comrade
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Griffen - Really disappointed with this year. Wastes a lot of the ball (kicking efficiency is worse than Boyds but never gets bagged like Boyd). He just hasn't influenced any games and his kicking for goal is atrocious.

The difference between Griff's best and worst ball use is huge but he usually makes errors when trying to take the game on. Boyd tends to make glaring errors under little pressure which makes him an easier target.

Griff gets tagged and harassed every minute of every game, Boyd doesn't. That's also probably why Griff gets some leeway.

GVGjr
04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Griff gets tagged and harassed every minute of every game, Boyd doesn't. That's also probably why Griff gets some leeway.

He should get very little leeway in my opinion. He had a set shot from 20 to 25 out on a slight angle and couldn't get the job done. In the whole scheme of things for the game that might not sound like much but it cost us a lead at half time.

G-Mo77
04-08-2012, 07:51 PM
He should get very little leeway in my opinion. He had a set shot from 20 to 25 out on a slight angle and couldn't get the job done. In the whole scheme of things for the game that might not sound like much but it cost us a lead at half time.

Called that miss as soon as he took the mark and a lot of the supporters around had a good laugh at me. Escapes backlash in here and generally among all our fans.

AndrewP6
04-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Bankers

DFA - amazingly (rather disturbingly), our most likely forward today. Kicked it like he always does, but looked dangerous.

JJ and Talia didn't look out of place. In particular, I like the look of JJ.

Anchors - Skiil errors from guys that should be leading the way. Gia and Griff in particular. I love Griff's work, but he needs to do better at times.

Briza - brain fades is too kind a word.
Zeph... I like him, but he looks perpetually knackered.

Remi Moses
04-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Griffen/ the bad miss aside he was good today
Addison/ showed some grunt and looked dangerous ( improver this season)
A couple of good debuts today, and a few of the kids looked good.
Rougy/ best game I've seen him play. Read the play well and has good hands

J. Grant / always looks spent and no repeat efforts
Skinner / just don't think Zeph's going to get there( can't be four deep at this level)
Gia/ father time's caught him
Djkuerra/ not up to it
Fitness/ need to get fitter, we can't run out games

Mofra
04-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Bankers -

Minson's work inside, tireless.
Wallis - we snagged a very, very good kid here
Boyd's tackling - he looks like he's carrying a niggle but never drops his head.
JJ & Talia promising debuts
Addison - one of the best games he's played

Anchors -

Skinner - just didn't get the job done today, and why handball to Gia when runing into an open goal? Kick the thing yourself
Campbell - offered us nothing forward, and we can't play two no 1 rucks
Tutt - avoids contact far too often
DJ - so close to being a footballer, just not quite there

SlimPickens
04-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Banker

Addison- looked very likely up forward. His defensive efforts were solid. Accuracy was the only problem he had today.

Roughead- body work on Tarrant was very good. Read the flight of he ball very well.

JJ/ Talia- Did not look overwhelmed

Anchors
Lake- Petries whipping boy

Skinner- shame that the hype didn't meet the means.

Grant- poor today, disposal was very ordinary. Has the talent but cannot use it consistently.

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Bankers

Addison - Very good up forward today. This was one of the best games his played.

Roughead - Very good down back taking some good marks. He is player who has a future.

Some great debuts - Talia, JJ -

Anchors

The main one for me is fitness unable to run out entire games. Definitely need to hit the gym big time in the pre season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Bankers

Addison - Very good up forward today. This was one of the best games his played.

Roughead - Very good down back taking some good marks. He is player who has a future.

Some great debuts - Talia, JJ -

Anchors

The main one for me is fitness unable to run out entire games. Definitely need to hit the gym big time in the pre season.

I think we need to hit the road, more so than the gym. Miles in the legs not necessarily more time spent focussin on adding muscles on the frame is what I think needs to happen.
What's interesting is that Macca post game categorically stated fitness is not the issue.
Whilst he would be in a position to know better, it sure looked like alot of our guys could not keep up with their opponent as the game wore on. Too many times North were able to find a metre or two on their Bulldog opponent all the way up the field in the second half. Whereas in the first we manned up very well, and thus forced North to dick around with the ball by hand in the back half, which allowed us to pressure their ball carriers.

westbulldog
04-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Bankers
Addison
Minson
Libba, Wallis and the debutants

Anchors
Skinner - nil defensive efforts, no impact and no desire shown at all.
Accuracy when kicking for goal

I don't criticise Brian Lake, for the last 6 weeks opposition forwards have had a free ride with the ball being pumped into the 50 interminably by midfielders running uncontested.

Campbell will be good too with a good pre-season to improve his fitness.

jeemak
05-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Bankers:

Addison - Contested marking, goal scoring and everything you could ask from a medium sized forward, even though he should have kicked one or two more goals. Excellent game.

Wallis - Not punishing enough with his kicking, though his hands and ability to find the ball are elite. He is going to be a star, make no mistake.

Roughead - In a tough backline to play in, showed composure and ball reading ability that was beyond what I thought he would show.

Special mention to Howard. Just about every time he got it today he used it with intent.

Anchors"

Liberatore - His kicking and decision making is in need of significant work. He has received a free pass throughout his first year and a half, but he needs to be more considered with how he uses it.

Murphy - Limp and dissinterested at times today. I really have my suspicions that he's clocked off.

Coaching Staff - Grant had 18 touches, a couple of assists, a few chase downs out of the foreward line and a couple of goals in his game back form a lay off. Don't know why they'd play him in defense.

Hotdog60
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Bankers:

Addison - Contested marking, goal scoring and everything you could ask from a medium sized forward, even though he should have kicked one or two more goals. Excellent game.

Wallis - Not punishing enough with his kicking, though his hands and ability to find the ball are elite. He is going to be a star, make no mistake.

Roughead - In a tough backline to play in, showed composure and ball reading ability that was beyond what I thought he would show.

Special mention to Howard. Just about every time he got it today he used it with intent.

Anchors"

Liberatore - His kicking and decision making is in need of significant work. He has received a free pass throughout his first year and a half, but he needs to be more considered with how he uses it.
Murphy - Limp and dissinterested at times today. I really have my suspicions that he's clocked off.

Coaching Staff - Grant had 18 touches, a couple of assists, a few chase downs out of the foreward line and a couple of goals in his game back form a lay off. Don't know why they'd play him in defense.

Not disagreeing with you but you can add Griffen with him who had similar stats.

Greystache
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Bankers

Debutantes- Both JJ and Talia showed a bit, I thought Talia was very good.

Addison- Was fantastic up forward, marked well and competed strongly.

Dickson- His work rate and defensive efforts were great, his fitness looks to have improved throughout the season which is a good achievement. He looks to have already overtaken Gia in that small/midsize forward role.

Anchors

Skinner- Miles off AFL level

Grant- I don't know where he's going with his football.

DJ- Came on fresh in the 2nd half and still couldn't have an impact, should have his papers stamped.

LostDoggy
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Bankers

Addison - Maybe I was wrong about him.
Roughy - Looked really good.
Dickson - Would love to see him as a third forward.

Anchors

Gia - Dickson makes him look old.
Minson - Just can't mark for someone so big he gets pushed off balance to easy.

Some of us are being to hard on Brian, without him we lose by 20 goals every week and not 10. Don't forget he is practically doing it on his own. I can remember seeing him defending with everything he had while standing on one leg, not being able lift his arms, trying to spoil with his head in a final not long ago so I don't think he owes us anything. Trade him and we win the next three spoons.

always right
05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Bankers
Addison
Minson
Libba, Wallis and the debutants

Anchors
Skinner - nil defensive efforts, no impact and no desire shown at all.
Accuracy when kicking for goal

I don't criticise Brian Lake, for the last 6 weeks opposition forwards have had a free ride with the ball being pumped into the 50 interminably by midfielders running uncontested.

Campbell will be good too with a good pre-season to improve his fitness.

Interesting how we observe things differently. I had no problem with Skinner's defensive game.....he just can't get the ball.

Lake was disgraceful today, particularly in the first half when our midfield and forward pressure was the best it has been this year.

always right
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Bankers

Addison - Maybe I was wrong about him.
Roughy - Looked really good.
Dickson - Would love to see him as a third forward.

Anchors

Gia - Dickson makes him look old.
Minson - Just can't mark for someone so big he gets pushed off balance to easy.

Some of us are being to hard on Brian, without him we lose by 20 goals every week and not 10. Don't forget he is practically doing it on his own. I can remember seeing him defending with everything he had while standing on one leg, not being able lift his arms, trying to spoil with his head in a final not long ago so I don't think he owes us anything. Trade him and we win the next three spoons.

You are being kind to Lake. If Gia, Higgins or Howard put in an effort like Lake's yesterday, nobody would have missed bagging them.

LostDoggy
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
You are being kind to Lake. If Gia, Higgins or Howard put in an effort like Lake's yesterday, nobody would have missed bagging them.

I just thought he wasn't that bad, Petrie was taking him up the ground a little early and we know that's not his go, plus he got a couple of gimmes and a pass no one could stop. Overall it could of been alot worse. Maybe it's a case of not knowing what you've got till its gone.

azabob
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Interesting how we observe things differently. I had no problem with Skinner's defensive game.....he just can't get the ball.

The reason he can't get the ball is because he is not fit enough, also his defensive efforts when the ball is within 5m are great, its when the opposition have the ball at a distance greater than 5m his defensive efforts are poor, again because he can't get to the contest.

I would have subbed him at half time.

always right
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
The reason he can't get the ball is because he is not fit enough, also his defensive efforts when the ball is within 5m are great, its when the opposition have the ball at a distance greater than 5m his defensive efforts are poor, again because he can't get to the contest.

I would have subbed him at half time.

And the bloke can't seem to take a mark unless he is 5m in the clear. Got his hands to the ball several times and never looked like holding a mark. Agree his repeat efforts are a concern. I don't see anything that suggests he will make it.

soupman
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Is he the worst set shot in the AFL? He is one of the worst I've seen. Jones is better than him.