PDA

View Full Version : Who are our arch rivals?

Ghost Dog
04-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Watching Hawks V Geelong last night got me thinking.
Who are our arch rivals? Nobody it seems!

G-Mo77
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
We've had some in recent years. Richmond because of Wallace and Brown. St. Kilda because of the Prelims defeats, if we still had Hall there would probably be still a little bit of sting with North today.

Unfortunately when you don't win any Grand Finals it's hard to build a true rivalry. We should start one up with Melbourne over draft picks in the next few years. :D

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Obviously everyone is a rival to Collingwood. St Kilda I'm thinking (the prelims and the Gia and Kosi incident, and also the fact that we have both only won 1 premiership).

Ghost Dog
04-08-2012, 12:58 PM
right G-Mo77. We really need to make finals to build that sort of animosity!
but I volunteer St Kilda, and North.

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 01:00 PM
right G-Mo77. We really need to make finals to build that sort of animosity!
but I volunteer St Kilda, and North.

North also were our bogey team for a little bit as well.

Twodogs
04-08-2012, 01:06 PM
For tradional old time multi generational bulldog supporters it's North and to a lesser extent Essendon due to the geographical locations of the suburbs the teams represent and are located in.

We've played North at least once a year for 123 of the last 125 years with only WW1 breaking the sequence. 1924 and 2000 add spice to the Bulldog/Essendon rivalry.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2012, 01:08 PM
North also were our bogey team for a little bit as well.

Well, the win earlier this year was a bit disappointing in terms of crowd. I was pumped with that win. It was mother's day, from memory.

bornadog
04-08-2012, 01:16 PM
For tradional old time multi generational bulldog supporters it's North and to a lesser extent Essendon due to the geographical locations of the suburbs the teams represent and are located in.

We've played North at least once a year for 123 of the last 125 years with only WW1 breaking the sequence. 1924 and 2000 add spice to the Bulldog/Essendon rivalry.

Yes Essendon I believe as they tried desperately to keep us from joining the VFL from the VFA. It all came to a head when the VFA premiers (Us) played the VFL premiers (Essendon) to prove whether we were worthy to join the VFL.

Greystache
04-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes Essendon I believe as they tried desperately to keep us from joining the VFL from the VFA. It all came to a head when the VFA premiers (Us) played the VFL premiers (Essendon) to prove whether we were worthy to join the VFL.

There was always rumours that a substantial amount of money changed hands to ensure we beat Essendon in that game.

Twodogs
04-08-2012, 02:32 PM
There was always rumours that a substantial amount of money changed hands to ensure we beat Essendon in that game.

Excuses from a bad loser.

bornadog
04-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Yes they really hated us and they probably still do, but not as much as we hate them

Twodogs
04-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Yes they really hated us and they probably still do, but not as much as we hate them

I cant post up the entire PDF but if you click on the following link;

https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=8DSN362sJKea6V7cQ2j5vg&cp=14&gs_id=y8&xhr=t&q=1924+footscray&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=1924+footscray&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=6ffa4f2d8af0d1c5&biw=1024&bih=605

and scroll down to the PDF that says "The 1924 championship game:did the Dons play dead" it asks some very pertinent questions(especially why did Fitzmaurice wait for 10 years to make his claims), makes some very valid observations and provides an entiely different thesis on why we beat Essendon in that game.

Bulldog4life
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I cant post up the entire PDF but if you click on the following link;

https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=8DSN362sJKea6V7cQ2j5vg&cp=14&gs_id=y8&xhr=t&q=1924+footscray&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=1924+footscray&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=6ffa4f2d8af0d1c5&biw=1024&bih=605

and scroll down to the PDF that says "The 1924 championship game:did the Dons play dead" it asks some very pertinent questions(especially why did Fitzmaurice wait for 10 years to make his claims), makes some very valid observations and provides an entiely different thesis on why we beat Essendon in that game.

Yes I think Essendon. Ever since I was a kid they were one team I loved to beat. I asked my old dad too who is 93 and he said Essendon too so it is good enough for me.:)

LostDoggy
04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
I know they are not our 'rivals' but there is nothing better than beating Carlton.

Eastdog
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I know they are not our 'rivals' but there is nothing better than beating Carlton.

Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, St Kilda and North Melbourne are all teams I love beating.

Twodogs
04-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Some of my favorite wins ever have been against Carlton. At Princes Park in 2000 and 1985 and at Western Oval in 1983, 1978 and the game where we held them to one goal (1991?).

chef
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't think we have one.

AndrewP6
04-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Who are our arch rivals?

17 other teams.

Dancin' Douggy
04-08-2012, 07:39 PM
The world

LostDoggy
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Every team above us.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
The world

Amen

SonofScray
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
We don't have a mutual rivalry with anyone. Maybe North at a stretch.

Essendon geographically.
WCE after the Sumich choke hold brawl. Gardiner etc. But those feelings have faded.

Dancin' Douggy
04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Amen

Amen brother

Maddog37
05-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I reckon there is still a bit of angst with the Weagles from the Danny Southern days. There is also an element of the haves and have nots with them.

DragzLS1
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
For some reason I feel West Coast! Seeing we both represent the west.

Other then that Essendon and North definitely !

bornadog
05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
In the modern era I would almost say its Geelong. They have beaten us in finals in 1976, 1992, 1994, 2008, 2009. We have also played alot of close matches against them, so I guess its some sort of rivalry.

Eastdog
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Adelaide as they beat us in the 1997 and 1998 prelim finals.

Greystache
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
In the modern era I would almost say its Geelong. They have beaten us in finals in 1976, 1992, 1994, 2008, 2009. We have also played alot of close matches against them, so I guess its some sort of rivalry.

I'm not sure they'd see it that way however. We're not an arch nemesis, more so a finals easy beat.

I'd say Hawthorn is their arch nemesis, they beat them on the big stage.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2012, 04:05 AM
I'd say probably North and St. Kilda.

And that's clutching at straws a bit.

Does anybody take pride in beating us over other certain clubs? I doubt it.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM

This. For me there is nothing more satisfying then beating the crows.

Twodogs
06-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Does anybody take pride in beating us over other certain clubs? I doubt it.

Richmond-I take great delight any time Richmond lose a game, especially a close one. Gee they've given me a lot of happiness in the last couple of decades. When I was a kid they were successful, arrogant and you either loved them or hated them.

I also love beating, and hate losing to, North and Essendon. Knocking Adelaide over in a prelim would also give me great satisfaction.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure we have any true rivals. It personally I absolutely HATE St Kilda. They bully us and it is embarrassing. Also can't stand Losing to North Melbourne and Essendon.

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
When asked this question, would any other club say Bulldogs?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Adelaide, we should have gone on to win the '97 premiership but one of the great performance turnarounds in finals history robbed us.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I always felt that Essendon was our greatest rival, mainly due to the fact that our close northern nieghbour always seem to think they are better then us.

I recall the game when Chris Grant kicked after the siren (a few years back now) and we won by 4 points, the Essendon fans were very bitter and started a couple of fights in the crowd.

I love it when we beat Essendon.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Has to be Geelong. Past Finals, stupid Brownless, and the Fact that they are moving into our territory. Point Cook should be OURS.

Twodogs
07-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Very good question. Sadly I think the answer is no.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Spot on and no.

GWS - west v west, at least for next year, until they start thumping us...

Team I hate the most - Adelaide, they lost a first final, somehow stayed in the finals, then pinched a prelim against us in 97 and cost us a GF against a team that chokes nearly as much as us.

Webby
07-08-2012, 11:42 AM
For me, the top three are Essendon, Essendon and Essendon! Some good supporters amongst them, of course, but collectively, the worst group of supporters in the league! If you look at the history of the game, their administration have been the worst bunch of bullies in history. Their treatment of North Melbourne has been especially deplorable. They kept North and us out of the VFL in favour of rubbish like Melbourne Uni and even Prahran for years and years. Their supporters jeer their own players, they have an in-grained sense of entitlement. I know they don't see us as a rival as such, but I know a lot

Webby
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
For me, the top three are Essendon, Essendon and Essendon! Some good supporters amongst them, of course, but collectively, the worst group of supporters in the league! If you look at the history of the game, their administration have been the worst bunch of bullies in history. Their treatment of North Melbourne has been especially deplorable. They kept North and us out of the VFL in favour of rubbish like Melbourne Uni and even Prahran for years and years. Their supporters jeer their own players, they have an in-grained sense of entitlement. I know they don't see us as a rival as such, but I know a lot
(sorry, I was just getting going and accidentally hit the post button into my delivery stride! Probably best I stop right there! You Probably get the gist!)

Twodogs
07-08-2012, 12:10 PM

I drive through Essendon every day and I see more Bulldog stickers on cars than Essendon stickers. The reason they didnt want us or North to join the VFL was it would cut into their recruiting zone.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Dunno if Geelong see us as rivals as they've beaten us up every time but I certainly hate their club more than any other because of the above. Add in the crows for '97 etc and St.Kilda more recently and they are top 3 for mine. Can't stand any of them :mad:

Rance Fan
07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure we have any true rivals. It personally I absolutely HATE St Kilda. They bully us and it is embarrassing. Also can't stand Losing to North Melbourne and Essendon.

Agree have to be the Saints. We have not won against them in a while.
And the finals loses to them hurt.

Webby
07-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I drive through Essendon every day and I see more Bulldog stickers on cars than Essendon stickers. The reason they didnt want us or North to join the VFL was it would cut into their recruiting zone.

Of course it is! This is the reason I resent them. They were allowed to treat their own territory like dirt, yet still had the power and influence to cr@p on their neighbours! You might ask what I mean by this...

It's pretty well known that for Essendon's first 25 years in the VFL (plus a number of additional years in the VFA), they played all of their games in East Melbourne. In what is now the Jollimont rail yard. This meant that the western suburbs' only league team played all of their games on the other side of town! This would be okay (hey, it's a free world!) but for the fact that they continually blocked North and Footscray from joining the VFL. For the very reason that we were from the exact territory they were supposed to be representing!Thus depriving the Western Suburbs of league footy.

Effectively, Essendon wanted to have their cake and eat it too! At the expense of the western suburbs. Remember, this was a time when the horse and cart was more common than the motor car! East Melbourne was a long trip! Therefore the Essendon community decided to start up their own Essendon VFA team, calling it 'Essendon 'A' and playing at Windy Hill. A thriving footy scene flourished in the western suburbs, yet we couldn't get VFL representation - because of Essendon!

Consider this: Of the 26 VFA flags contended between 1897 and 1924, Footscray, North, Willy and West Melbourne won 20 of the 26 flags on offer. The western suburbs absolutely dominated the VFA. Especially us! Yet every time we or North tried to join the comp, Essendon blocked us... Which would be fair enough, but for the fact that they wouldn't even bl00dy play here!

Finally, when the Jollimont rail yards were to be built and Essendon needed a new home (for 1922), they approached North and asked them for a merger. Their thinking was that they could move closer to Essendon, but not too far from their now healthy supporter base in east Melbourne. After years of exasperation, North's attitude was "hey, if you can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em!" North actually pulled out of the 1921 VFA season, merged their playing squad with Essendon's, discarded their fringe players and prepared for the season. Only problem was that Essendon reneged, pinched Windy Hill off Essendon A, kept North's players and effectively destroyed two very good western suburbs clubs.

Some would say "checkmate!", but others would say "very, very dirty pool indeed!" As a result of raiding North, Essendon went from last in 1921 to runners up in 1922 and premierships in '23 & '24! Eventually, media pressure led to the VFL finally opening the doors to new entrants in 1925. (Of, and Essendon A and North merged in a marriage of convenience - so at least one club survived - sort of!).

So that's a fairly long-winded explanation as to why I don't particularly like Essendon. They've always taken their home turf and local community for granted. One thing that I really like about our club is that we've never, ever done that. We are THE western suburbs club. We do not put ourselves about like a franchise (like Essendon - the McDonalds of the VFL/AFL)..

azabob
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Our members who jump on, then jump off.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Our members who jump on, then jump off.

LOL gotta maintain the pain.;)

Eastdog
22-10-2014, 12:25 AM
GWS is becoming a bit more a rival now.

KT31
22-10-2014, 11:05 AM
GWS is becoming a bit more a rival now.

Really, I see them more as the spoilt brat or teachers pet.
I know they are trying to make something of it but really until we have some rivalry on the field I would think they would be more likely a rival to Gold Coast.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I know they are trying to make something of it but really until we have some rivalry on the field I would think they would be more likely a rival to Gold Coast.

At the moment they're probably a rival like collingwood is a rival to all clubs. Everyone just hates them. They simply dont belong in the league and have been handed everything. However with that said, as both our teams start to get better we will have more on-field rivalry with them. And due to the player "transactions" between our clubs i can certainly see a rivalry developing there

LostDoggy
22-10-2014, 11:27 AM

It was pretty ding dong the last game of the year. Decent scrimmage at 3/4 time. Our coach was probably sacked as a result of that game. They are a rival alright, and GWS, the Dogs, and the AFL would be rapt about it!