PDA

View Full Version : Young Bulldog Found Unconcious

Pages : [1] 2

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh dear god.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143701/default.aspx

EXCLUSIVE: A YOUNG Western Bulldogs player was found by police in a state of unconsciousness in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Bulldogs became aware of the incident yesterday and are currently dealing with the matter.

It is believed the player was found in possession of a small amount of illicit substances, and was questioned by police after they found him at 3.30am on King Street in Melbourne's CBD.

The player has been placed in a diversion program by police.

The Bulldogs have failed to return calls on the matter, despite repeated attempts to contact the club in the past 24 hours.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Why o Why - dickhead.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Why o Why - dickhead.

My first reaction was i hope he's alright.

Then that.

Bulldog4life
06-08-2012, 02:03 PM
A difficult time for the Club coming up.

GVGjr
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
They name of the player is being leaked on some sites but I would appreciate it that we do not speculate on any player until the club makes it's statement.

I think the club needs to get ahead of this if they can.

jazzadogs
06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Damn, hope they're alright and we help them work through this. Silly boy, whoever it was, but we need to show solidarity as a club here.

Bulldog Revolution
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I think the club needs to get ahead of this if they can.

What do you mean by that GVG?

In organising a response, or in dealing with the player?

Or both?

I'd hope we publicly shield a young player from some of what he is likely to cop for an incident like this, but work with him to hopefully resolve this as an issue for his life.

If its a senior listed player then my view is that the player should not be available for selection again in 2012.

GVGjr
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Or both?

I'd hope we publicly shield a young player from some of what he is likely to cop for an incident like this, but work with him to hopefully resolve this as an issue for his life.

If its a senior listed player then my view is that the player should not be available for selection again in 2012.

Unless there is a far bigger issue to this I think it's just unfair on other players not to name the player.

jazzadogs
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Or both?

I would hope that they don't publicly name the player, especially given the number of rumours that have circulated about other AFL players in the past without names, but I just get the feeling that the media won't care, and will name him anyway.

I'm sure there will be a statement of some sort by the end of the day. Big test for those who think the club doesn't do enough for it's players...

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I would hope that they don't publicly name the player, especially given the number of rumours that have circulated about other AFL players in the past without names, but I just get the feeling that the media won't care, and will name him anyway.

I'm sure there will be a statement of some sort by the end of the day. Big test for those who think the club doesn't do enough for it's players...

The players name is already out there jazza. It would have been better for the club and the player in question to come forward before the media got a hold of it. Rarely situations like this are squashed now days.

NoseBleed
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bulldogs-player-quizzed-over-drug-offences-20120806-23pda.html

Bulldogs player quizzed over drug offences

Date
August 6, 2012 - 1:11PM

378 reading now
Megan Levy

A young Western Bulldogs player is believed to have been interviewed by police after he was found unconscious in a Melbourne street in the wake of the club's weekend loss to North Melbourne.

The player is believed to have been questioned over drug offences after he collapsed on King Street about 3.30am yesterday.

A police spokeswoman said officers found a 20-year-old Essendon North man lying on a footpath. He was believed to be dropping in and out of consciousness.

The spokeswoman said the man regained consciousness and was taken home by a family member.
Advertisement

"Police have interviewed the man in relation to alleged drug offences and he has been placed on a diversion program," the spokeswoman said.

The Western Bulldogs reportedly were made aware of the incident yesterday morning.

The club has been contacted for comment.

Bulldog Revolution
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM

I don't think they can avoid publicly naming him, but Im not sure that trotting out a kid to a press conference for this, in the same way Minson handled his early season indiscretions is particularly appropriate

Mofra
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Most details are now leaked/known - going to be a very interesting week

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Too late re naming the player in public.

Hopefully its a one off incident of a young bloke getting a bit too excited, and not a deeper underlying issue.

kruder
06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Barrett has named him on Twitter...

bornadog
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM

so has Stevo

Also just named on SEN by Robbo

Doggy
06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

As has Mark Stevens

GVGjr

We need a more credible source I would have thought.

jazzadogs
I knew that there was 'speculation' on Twitter, but I personally find it really disappointing that Barrett and Mark Stevens would publicly name him. Surely this is the kind of delicate situation where you hold back a little bit? But instead the race to break the big story gets in the way for the clowns in the football media yet again.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I knew that there was 'speculation' on Twitter, but I personally find it really disappointing that Barrett and Mark Stevens would publicly name him. Surely this is the kind of delicate situation where you hold back a little bit? But instead the race to break the big story gets in the way for the clowns in the football media yet again.

Barrett's no surprise. The guy is scum as far as I'm concerned. Stevens was a surprise to name him, I guess the vulture put it out there first so Stevens just followed suit.

jazzadogs
06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Also nice to see the 'Bulldogs expert' Jason Akermanis (https://twitter.com/JAkermanis) putting his two cents in.

“Questions: Does Libba get a public strike? Does club suspend him? Either way a sad, wake up” if there is one there are many more I'd say!!!"

"The dogs sacked me because Hudson and Murphy said the wouldn't play in the same team. Wonder if Murphy will have another hissy fit over this"

"“@StevoHeraldSun:Dogs have not returned calls for 24 hours,bunkered down Expect release later Extremely sensitive/serious issue” What a Shock"

bornadog

Robbo on SEN has named him.

Press conference this afternoon.

G-Mo77
Surprised about Aker's glee about this?

Pedro Sanchez
Barrett's no surprise. The guy is scum as far as I'm concerned. Stevens was a surprise to name him, I guess the vulture put it out there first so Stevens just followed suit.

Not sure you can bag the media for reporting the facts. Its a news story and they're paid to report the news.

The primary issue is how the matter is dealt with by the club and individual going forward...

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
He's been named pretty much everywhere now.

For anyone who wanted to work it out earlier, we only have one 20yo on our list.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Not sure you can bag the media for reporting the facts. Its a news story and they're paid to report the news.

Just don't like his style of journalism. You hear him on Triple M and he's always prying for something controversial so he can create a story for himself. Just don't care for the guy. I think he's a little weazel and would love to punch him in the mouth.

Sedat
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Bit hard to keep this one quiet seeing as it is a police matter - not your average garden variety failed drugs test that can be swept under the carpet.

Club and player need to take their medicine publicly - that includes poblic goading from the likes of Akermanis. Garlick, time for you to start earning your pay. Wonder if we'll finally see Smorgon come out of hiding now.

stefoid
Wait til your father gets home...

Topdog
It's been on the official AFL website as Libba for about 20 minutes.

And Barrett writes for the AFL. How much more official do you want?

Anyway very disappointing. Not very surprising to hear of stuff like this but surprising to hear it in the middle of a season.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Devastated for him, his family and his team mates.

kruder
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM

You could say that about most journos but I guarantee with a serious incident like this it would be fact before made public. The majority of society experiments with drugs at some stage, unfortunately for AFL players it comes with greater risks/consequences.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Well that just tops off a great season:mad:
Would have been an interesting drive home
Hope the club puts all the facts out on the table and acts accordingly

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Just don't like his style of journalism. You hear him on Triple M and he's always prying for something controversial so he can create a story for himself. Just don't care for the guy. I think he's a little weazel and would love to punch him in the mouth.

Nah fair play... appreciate your opinion of him - the journo - and not contesting that all.

Sedat
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
So does this mean Libba fails the McCartney "quality people" mantra?

GVGjr
06-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Now that the AFL have named Tom Liberatore as the player found unconscious then it's OK to name him here.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 02:44 PM
My question is why was he out at 3:30am at a night club given the clubs current form? Sad to see this young kid do something so silly but ...wow.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended for teh rest of the year.

jazzadogs
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/143711/default.aspx) to the club statement.

Hope he learns from it, I'm happy with that statement and it seems like we're right behind him.

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
My question is why was he out at 3:30am at a night club given the clubs current form? Sad to see this young kid do something so silly but ...wow.

Because he's a young guy who's probably chasing birds and trying to have some fun with his mates. Dont have an issue with a 20 yo player going out and drinking - as long as he can meet training obligations the following day etc.

I do have an issue if he's taking illegal drugs though...

ledge
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
The year just gets worse.

azabob
So does this mean Libba fails the McCartney "quality people" mantra?

Quality people still do dumb things, don't they?

Topdog
No word from Smorgo.

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
The year just gets worse.

Lets call this rock bottom... From here, it gets a whole better...

Well fingers crossed anyway.

G-Mo77
No word from Smorgo.

Garlick was quoted on the official statement. Why does Smorgon need to say anything?

Throughandthrough
Tanking!

Pedro Sanchez
Sorry - left out 'lot' on that last post - but you get the drift...

GVGjr
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/143711/default.aspx) to the club statement.

Hope he learns from it, I'm happy with that statement and it seems like we're right behind him.

Strong response by the club.
Young Tom has a lot of work ahead of him.

LostDoggy
Lets call this rock bottom... From here, it gets a whole better...

Well fingers crossed anyway.

Hopefully this applies to Libba, no fingers crossed!

Topdog
06-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Quality people still do dumb things, don't they?

When do you change from a quality person to a dumb person?

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Most likely he was out with some other players, I wonder if they have been / will get penalised by the club for not intervening...

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Suspended for teh rest of the year.

Good move. I doubt it will be enough to sate the bloodthirst of the mob, but hopefully Libba can turn it around and learn from it.

Forcing him to take 6 weeks full-time employment also a good move. Go see how the real world works.

Topdog
06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Garlick was quoted on the official statement. Why does Smorgon need to say anything?

Have barely heard from him all year. When the matter is that big I'd like to hear from him.

Not a massive deal

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Most likely he was out with some other players, I wonder if they have been / will get penalised by the club for not intervening...

Assumptions.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
When do you change from a quality person to a dumb person?

When you don't learn from your mistakes.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Sam Edmund tweeted this earlier

@SammyHeraldSun: A lot more to play out in Libba drama yet. Kid is in a fair bit of strife.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Have barely heard from him all year. When the matter is that big I'd like to hear from him.

Not a massive deal

You heard from the club, which I'm sure the president was involved in.

SlimPickens
06-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Sam Edmund tweeted this earlier

@SammyHeraldSun: A lot more to play out in Libba drama yet. Kid is in a fair bit of strife.

Just read club statement and hasn't been charged. So not sure what he would be referring too.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Just read club statement and hasn't been charged. So not sure what he would be referring too.

I think Sam was just a little late to Twitter.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Acker is having a field day on twitter, that bloke just cant let go.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Sad isn't it. I guess it's his chance for the "I told you so" rubbish. Attacking the leadership group, president and retweeting every other neanderthal groupie of his regarding the matter. Old Aker is a pretty weak person so there is no surprises from me with his responses.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I would hate to be Tom when Tony gets home, I think dad may have a few little issues with his behaviour.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Dont want to go off topic too much, but I felt it was a bit rich when Acker goes on that show earlier in the year posing for the promos in our guernsey......!!!!! Cant work that freak out.

Cyberdoggie
06-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Strong response by the club.
Young Tom has a lot of work ahead of him.

Interesting the bit about making him undergo 6 weeks full time employment.

"In addition to the suspension the Leadership Group has issued a $5,000 suspended fine and enforced a requirement that Tom undergo Club driven counselling and education and be engaged in full-time employment for the next six weeks. "

Perhaps trying to teach him something about regular life and how lucky he is to earn a living playing football?

Or perhaps just to keep him occupied, who knows, but an interesting point to list i think.

Pedro Sanchez
06-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Dont want to go off topic too much, but I felt it was a bit rich when Acker goes on that show earlier in the year posing for the promos in our guernsey......!!!!! Cant work that freak out.

Aker who?

Boom.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Na Tony is a very proud man, very proud of his kids, he would be devestated at this. I cant and wont blame family life for this one, this is just pure stupidity of a young bloke who wanted to have a good time, but instead had a "psycadelic time":cool:.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM

I might troll him today, opportunistic flog.

Murphy'sLore
I did similar dumb things in my twenties too and it certainly wasn't anything to do with my family.

LostDoggy
Deleted your quote.... I suffer foot in mouth all the time, dont worry about it.

Eastdog
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Shocked when I first heard it. I hope Libba gets the help he needs to overcome this. What do you think the club will do with him.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Deleted your quote.... I suffer foot in mouth all the time, dont worry about it.

Obviously upset a few:D

bornadog
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I did similar dumb things in my twenties too and it certainly wasn't anything to do with my family.

I hope it wasn't illegal:D

Maddog37
Silly boy. Has a great opportunity now to improve himself as a person and learn from his mistake.

Let's hope it is he making of him.

G-Mo77
I might troll him today, opportunistic flog.

Careful you'll get blocked. He'll only respond if you lick his arse.

The Pie Man

A brother of mine died of a heroin OD in 2003, and couldn't have come from a more supportive background. That's what really irks me about Akermanis' response to this - taking opportunistic pot shots when there's a young man who needs some firm & strong guidance.

Infuriating

bornadog
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Silly boy. Has a great opportunity now to improve himself as a person and learn from his mistake.

Let's hope it is he making of him.

This ^^^

Murphy'sLore
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

All part of growing up. :rolleyes:

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM

I've been following him for 10 minutes, won't last out the day doing so. Sub-human

Bulldog4life
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM

I've let him know what I think about him via his website. Below is the link.

http://www.jasonakermanis.com.au/contact.aspx

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I've been following him for 10 minutes, won't last out the day doing so. Sub-human

I got blocked from him earlier for saying something along the lines of taking joy in the demise of a kid who made a mistake. I should have added Darcy or Tom Harley is a flog and I would have got an edited retweet.

Sedat
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I might troll him today, opportunistic flog.Yes he is, but unfortunately we've given him ample opportunity to respond in the last couple of years. We've gone from top 4 to bottom 4 in that time, and we've had player and coach off-field discipline issues a-plenty when previously we were squeaky clean off the paddock.

Simpletons out there will put 2 and 2 together and say that the manner of Akermanis' sacking was the catalyst for our descent into free-fall - we all know this to be complete bullshit but casual observers of the club may not be so well informed.

angelopetraglia
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Just caught up with this news. Devastated.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Sedat in 10 years time he'll be doing the same thing. Less people will be interested by then though so he may get even more spiteful. It's funny reading his tweets about the 7 broadcast teams, he's very bitter about them, obviously got knocked back from a gig on 7.

He's a sad pathetic man and he'll never stop taking pot shots at every opportunity he gets.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes he is, but unfortunately we've given him ample opportunity to respond in the last couple of years. We've gone from top 4 to bottom 4 in that time, and we've had player and coach off-field discipline issues a-plenty when previously we were squeaky clean off the paddock.

Simpletons out there will put 2 and 2 together and say that the manner of Akermanis' sacking was the catalyst for our descent into free-fall - we all know this to be complete bullshit but casual observers of the club may not be so well informed.

I really dont want to spend time on this flogger, but if people think he was the heart and soul of this club, well they dont know this club, he was a blow in, not a club man, he was here for himself only. I personally dont care for him and say that we never speak of the tool again on this thread.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM

not if its illegal

Eastdog
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I really dont want to spend time on this flogger, but if people think he was the heart and soul of this club, well they dont know this club, he was a blow in, not a club man, he was here for himself only. I personally dont care for him and say that we never speak of the tool again on this thread.

Agree. The problem with Aka was that it was too much me me me with him. There were numerous reasons why we sacked not just the one incident that people think of.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 03:51 PM
not if its illegal

So you do something illegal, get caught and learn from that mistake you're not growing up. :rolleyes:

Desipura
06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Agree. The problem with Aka was that it was too much me me me with him. There were numerous reasons why we sacked not just the one incident that people think of.
He obviously has some serious issues.

angelopetraglia
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Does anyone really know the kid? Is this a one off or is it in line with his behaviour / character?

History has told us that once people go down this track it often ends really badly (i.e. Cousins, Fevola, Connors, Tuck, Chris Herren - Fantastic ESPN doco on him is so sad).

I really, really hope for him and his family it was just a one off.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
So you do something illegal, get caught and learn from that mistake you're not growing up. :rolleyes:

You didn't follow the whole conversation yet you make a comment to suit yourself.

Murphy'sLore
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM

You can still learn from it even if you don't get caught.

Young people do stupid things, take risks and experiment, and often don't consider the possible consequences. I'm sure all of us on this forum have made mistakes of one kind or another. Some of us were lucky and got away with it. Some were not.

Let's hope Tom learns his lesson, and is wiser for the experience.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes he is, but unfortunately we've given him ample opportunity to respond in the last couple of years. We've gone from top 4 to bottom 4 in that time, and we've had player and coach off-field discipline issues a-plenty when previously we were squeaky clean off the paddock.

To quote Brock McClean (of all people) 'Blind Freddie' can see that the club's in a dark place right now.

Dirty day - but a large chunk of my focus is on Tom's welfare. No reason why this can't be a catalyst for significant and positive life change, while spooking the &$@! out of any young player thinking of engaging in this sort of thing.

Sedat
06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
You and Savage and G-Mo are missing the point. We Dogs supporters know and understand this to be complete bullshit. But the casual observer could easily come to the conclusion that our club started to fall apart when we sacked a 3 time premiership player only because he wanted to do handstands after the game, and since his departure we've had players mucking up in the off-season trip, caught in possession of drugs passed out on King St, and some members of our coaching panel driving pissed. See how easy it was to make a case for Akermanis' defence just then, and for many morons out there to take it as gospel?

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 04:02 PM
You didn't follow the whole conversation yet you make a comment to suit yourself.

Read it. Don't know which other way to take it. Sorry if I made a mistake, better that than publicly assassinating an entire family and a legend of our club then pleading everyone to cover the tracks for you.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
You and Savage and G-Mo are missing the point. We Dogs supporters know and understand this to be complete bullshit. But the casual observer could easily come to the conclusion that our club started to fall apart when we sacked a 3 time premiership player only because he wanted to do handstands after the game, and since his departure we've had players mucking up in the off-season trip, caught in possession of drugs passed out on King St, and some members of our coaching panel driving pissed. See how easy it was to make a case for Akermanis' defence just then, and for many morons out there to take it as gospel?

'On paper' it's a bad look, no doubt.

Sigh

Sedat
06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Dirty day - but a large chunk of my focus is on Tom's welfare. No reason why this can't be a catalyst for significant and positive life change, while spooking the &$@! out of any young player thinking of engaging in this sort of thing.Agree wholeheartedly with this Pie Man. I think it is a good thing that our club is now in the glare of the spotlight because we've been irrelevent/ignored pretty much all season. It's certainly not the way we'd like to get attention, but it puts the entire club and especially our off-field leaders on notice.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM

not if its illegal

Read it. Don't know which other way to take it.

You have a bad habit of constantly misquoting me on this forum and I really am starting to get sick of it.

Where do I say above that learning from mistakes is not growing up.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM

I didn't miss your point mate. Agree with it entirely. I was just emphasizing what I think of that turd.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
You have a bad habit of constantly misquoting me on this forum and I really am starting to get sick of it.

Where do I say above that learning from mistakes is not growing up.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You missed your last response.

not if its illegal

How else was I suppose to read it?

bornadog
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
better that than publicly assassinating an entire family and a legend of our club then pleading everyone to cover the tracks for you.

Wrong again. The reason for the delete was I didn't want to get into a conversation about homelife and the effect on people.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Wrong again. The reason for the delete was I didn't want to get into a conversation about homelife and the effect on people.

Still played that hand though didn't you. :o

bornadog
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Still played that hand though didn't you. :o

Posters got upset so I backed off.

Desipura
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Ok guys, back to Libba, I hope he becomes a better player and more importantly a better person as a result of this.

Greystache
06-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I appreciate your point, but Aker appeals exclusively to the ignorant bogan.

Who really gives a shit what they think. They're never going to loyal members of our football club, they contribute nothing to anything, they have an attention span about the length of an ad break of two and a half men, and they move on to the next controversy the moment one of their bogan ideals brings it to their attention. Organisations waste so much time and resources trying to promote their brand to this demographic when in reality they're just a waste of space.

GVGjr
06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Ok guys, back to Libba, I hope he becomes a better player and more importantly a better person as a result of this.

Good points

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Got blocked. Talk about insecure

(that's the last I'll refer to him - hopefully forever)

Will be watching Fox Footy with interest this week

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Got blocked. Talk about insecure

(that's the last I'll refer to him - hopefully forever)

Will be watching Fox Footy with interest this week

Ha ha, at least I lasted most of the season. You should have waited until Friday night, then you would have read the weekly Tom Harley is a flog comments. I'll have to miss that now.

Sedat
06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I appreciate your point, but Aker appeals exclusively to the ignorant bogan.

Who really gives a shit what they think. They're never going to loyal members of our football club, they contribute nothing to anything, they have an attention span about the length of an ad break of two and a half men, and they move on to the next controversy the moment one of their bogan ideals brings it to their attention. Organisations waste so much time and resources trying to promote their brand to this demographic when in reality they're just a waste of space.
You are 100% correct 'stache, but AFL would not exist without this demographic. Also most prospective sponsors would market products aimed primarily at this demographic. Ignore the bogan at your peril.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 04:34 PM
You are 100% correct 'stache, but AFL would not exist without this demographic. Also most prospective sponsors would market products aimed primarily at this demographic. Ignore the bogan at your peril.

That in bold is my beacon in today's gloom. Too good Sedat, needed that :p

Maddog37
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Sedat, so what is your point? These things happen and you want to tie it all back to Acker? You think bogans will feel that way?

Not sure what you think needs to be done or how we an avoid upsetting bogans or why we are even talking about Aker anyway.,!?

choconmientay
06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Just catching up to the news. I got a sick feeling in my stomach. What a silly thing to do. I just fear for the other young guys in the team ... (Wallis, Pearce, Tutt, JJ ... ) Hope that they do not joining or part of this devastating move of young Libba.

ZERO tolerance please!!!

Greystache
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Unless we're trying to secure a sponsorship from Monster energy drinks or Travisty t-shirts I don't think it really matters. My point is you don't need to try to keep them happy, they'll have a new focus next week and won't remember what happened 2 weeks ago. Ignoring them has no impact other than saving time and resources that could be allocated to people that are worth the effort long term.

The bogan that supports the Bulldogs will go to the games when we're playing finals and will bag the coach and club when we're losing. That cycle won't change so why bother trying to change it. The people supporting Aker for having the guts to bag the Bulldogs will be the same people calling him a dickhead if we win a premiership.

The Pie Man
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Maddog37, I've been guilty of straying off topic a touch - my apologies.

Thinking of Lib, does anyone know what will likely be involved in the diversionary program Vic Police have placed him in? I'd never heard of this before today

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Was shocked to read the club statement on Facebook.

IMO, I think we can all make mistakes (and have done so), some big and some small but the most important thing is what we learn from them and how we change ourselves and grow from the experience.

I was shocked to read some posters aligning young Tom with Cousins, etc. Bit early for writing him off, don't you think? Let's give him a chance to face up to the responsibility of playing with an AFL club, and all that goes with it. Respecting himself, his family and his team-mates is also a big lesson here. I see the club is being supportive, and I think that's exactly what he needs right now. Unless I have his pegged all wrong, I'm quite sure he is feeling quite remorseful and guilty at the minute and he needs all our support.

Greystache
06-08-2012, 05:21 PM
OK enough, there's enough to focus on here without personal arguments.

I've cleaned this thread up let's stick to the topic.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
06-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Bit ignorant here but can the AFL step in and sanction him further even though not caught by their anti doping policies? I can't remember what they did with Tuck.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
It's an epidemic, no one is untouchable, it doesn't discriminate nor care for your upbringing.

Things like this can be the making of a person, they can fade away or they can rise and become great. I'm backing Libba to work his backside off and become better for it.

To quote Keith Richards "I've never had a problem with Drugs. I've had problems with Police."

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM

50000 Colliwobble supporters say hi !!!!!!!:D

Greystache
06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Bit ignorant here but can the AFL step in and sanction him further even though not caught by their anti doping policies? I can't remember what they did with Tuck.

At a guess I'd say the club would have consulted with the AFL before handing down the punishment. With Tuck that was his 3rd strike so there was an automatic sanction to be handed down under the 3 strikes policy (from memory 12 weeks to 2 years)

ReLoad
06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
A footballer goes out and gets drunk and has a spliff. First time ever, shock horror.
Has mad monday started early?

If the kid is any good, he will learn from it and turn his mistake around. He has no excuses given the support network that is in place.

In other news, Im surprised that somebody here hasnt said it was maccas fault.

chef
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Yep, made a mistake and will come back a better person and player.

Mofra
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
A footballer goes out and gets drunk and has a spliff. First time ever, shock horror.
They haven't confirmed what it was.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Akermanis, the crap human Being who bagged Stynes
Akermanis suffering relevance deprivation:mad:

jeemak
06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
What a silly boy.

I can't imagine he would be feeling very good about himself right now. He's let himself, those that care for him and the broader Western Bulldogs community down in one fell swoop.

I personally believe the first month of next season should have seen him suspended as well, though I can understand the club wanting to deal with the matter within the confines of this season and move on.

While my attitude towards drug use would be viewed as more liberal than most, there are certain conditions associated with being an AFL footballer and having the privelage to play for the Western Bulldogs. Tom has chosen to be a footballer representing our club and he has significantly damaged its brand and the reputation of his team mates with his actions. I believe he would have hurt them on a personal level as well. If there are any other players on our list exposing themselves in the manner Tom has, then this experience needs to send a significant wake up call to them.

We're going to cop a lot from the media and idiots like Akermanis for the remainder of the season. The club has an opportunity to strengthen its resolve as a result of this issue and use the scrutiny it will be under to bind it.

EasternWest
06-08-2012, 06:09 PM
What a silly boy.

I can't imagine he would be feeling very good about himself right now. He's let himself, those that care for him and the broader Western Bulldogs community down in one fell swoop.

I actually have a problem with the "I'm sorry, I've let myself and everybody else down" apology.

I don't think for a second that it's true in any way. But for one drink/hit of whatever illegal drug that put him over the edge, Tom would be out doing the same thing the next week and the week after.

The apology should say "I'm only sorry I got caught, and I feel embarrassed by it."

Even better, I'd prefer no comment at all from the player until after the suspension and retributive punishment is served. It just sounds so glib the day after.

Yeah Tom is sorry. Sorry for himself.

Eastdog
06-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately now this is going to stick with him.

jeemak
06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
You make a reasonable point EasternWest.

Unless more information comes to light, I'm not sure it's constructive to talk about Tom's motives or behaviours.

kruder
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Yep, made a mistake and will come back a better person and player.

How does having a bender make you a bad person?

bornadog
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
there are certain conditions associated with being an AFL footballer and having the privelage to play for the Western Bulldogs. Tom has chosen to be a footballer representing our club and he has significantly damaged its brand and the reputation of his team mates with his actions. I believe he would have hurt them on a personal level as well. If there are any other players on our list exposing themselves in the manner Tom has, then this experience needs to send a significant wake up call to them. .

The thing is we know there are lots of people out there taking illegal drugs, but AFL footballers are given instructions/education on how to not only behave on the field but off field as well. They are educated on drug taking not only performance enhancing but also so called recreational, yet they still go out there and partake.

G-Mo77
I actually have a problem with the "I'm sorry, I've let myself and everybody else down" apology.

I don't think for a second that it's true in any way. But for one drink/hit of whatever illegal drug that put him over the edge, Tom would be out doing the same thing the next week and the week after.

The apology should say "I'm only sorry I got caught, and I feel embarrassed by it."

Even better, I'd prefer no comment at all from the player until after the suspension and retributive punishment is served. It just sounds so glib the day after.

Yeah Tom is sorry. Sorry for himself.

Yeah, that's probably correct. Still the optimist in me thinks that it was a good thing he got caught. It maybe the punishment that steers him in the right direction. Had he not been caught he possibly could have taken the same route which could have lead to much worse repercussions.

bornadog

illegal, so criminal activity.

jeemak
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
The thing is we know there are lots of people out there taking illegal drugs, but AFL footballers are given instructions/education on how to not only behave on the field but off field as well. They are educated on drug taking not only performance enhancing but also so called recreational, yet they still go out there and partake.

And as a result they need to accept the consequences of their actions, and learn that ongoing indescretions will have serious rammifications for their careers.

Liberatore will either learn his lesson, or the system will most likely chew him up and spit him out. People like Ben Cousins don't come around very often, though eventually the system sorted him out as well.

jeemak
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM

I can see this is a very black and white issue for you. For me and numerous others it isn't.

GVGjr
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM

This is the critical point. It's drummed into players from a young age the pitfalls of drugs and alcohol and they have access to meetings, education and insights that so many others don't.
They really get sufficient education to make the right calls but some obviously think they can get around it.

I hope it's a lesson that is well learned by young Tom. He will need to step back from friends that can make his recovery so much more difficult and that is a hard test for some.

Mantis
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM

So anywhere from 20% to 70% of 18-30 year olds who head out on a Fri/ Sat night are bad people?

We are all doomed of that's the case.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I can see this is a very black and white issue for you. For me and numerous others it isn't.

No, its a black and white issue in the eyes of the law.

I don't want to argue here on this forum about whether drug taking should be legal or not, so lets leave it there.

All I can hope for is that a promising Westernbulldogs footballer learns something from this incident. Tom may not realise it, but he is a role model to so many young fans and has far greater responsibility in his life as an AFL footballer than on match day.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
So anywhere from 20% to 70% of 18-30 year olds who head out on a Fri/ Sat night are bad people?

We are all doomed of that's the case.

Pretty much:)

kruder
06-08-2012, 06:40 PM

So is jaywalking. Ever done that bornadog? Ever taken a step on the wild side?

bornadog
06-08-2012, 06:43 PM
So is jaywalking. Ever done that bornadog? Ever taken a step on the wild side?

mate, jaywalking is not a criminal activity its a road rule.

Taking drugs is a criminal offence. You can defend it all you like, but it is what it is.

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Bad people?

I thought I heard it all earlier today, obviously the rot continues. :rolleyes:

FrediKanoute
06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Well there goes our squeaky clean image........I guess we can't pretend to be holier than thou now when pointing at the Hawks and WCE......disappointing.

I wonder whether there is any deeper issues like depression or personal problems which he is battling.

Daughter of the West
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM

What I never understand with professional athletes (particularly AFL footballers), is how they don't appear to consider the risk to their performance when they're indulging in this sort of stuff. As a mere mortal, I usually feel pretty crappy after a big night on the turps, but I sit at a desk all day for my job. For these guys, their bodies are their tools of work, so to speak. If they're putting drugs and alcohol into their system, I would guess that it would be affecting their training, their recovery, their injury rehabilitation, their decision making abilities, all the things that earn them their massive dollars.

Surely, if you really, truly want to perform at the highest level in your chosen sport and be the best of the best, you would completely be shying away from this sort of stuff. I can vaguely understand letting your hair down in the off-season, but in the middle of it?? :confused:

It really doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm just a little naive (hell, I'm certainly no pro athlete and don't mind a drink as much as the next girl :D).

And Tom, I'm really cheesed off. :mad:

EasternWest
06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, that's probably correct. Still the optimist in me thinks that it was a good thing he got caught. It maybe the punishment that steers him in the right direction. Had he not been caught he possibly could have taken the same route which could have lead to much worse repercussions.

Yeah. I agree with you, I don't know how far down the rabbit hole he is, I only hope he's been caught early enough that it can be nipped in the bud.

chef
06-08-2012, 07:14 PM

When did I say bad?

I said better, as in a professional athlete shouldn't be getting wasted like that during the season.

w3design
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Though I'm upset and disappointed like all here, I think we should, rather than focusing on the issue of whether it was a silly mistake, illegal, etc, realise that Tom was found UNCONSCIOUS. People die even from drinking too much in a bender.. More than most of us realise.

Add in a drug of some point...that he was in King st and lying on a footpath, apparently with no mates or support around..and we have to realise what a terrible thing this is. Tom was at serious risk on so many levels of a much worse outcome than just being embarrassed or having shamed our club.

I'm a parent. And I just feel petrified to think how this story could have ended.

I hope so much the club does everything to help him. And that he takes the wake up call to help himself.

Eastdog
06-08-2012, 07:17 PM
What did David Smorgon have to say about it?

Eastdog
06-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Though I'm upset and disappointed like all here, I think we should, rather than focusing on the issue of whether it was a silly mistake, illegal, etc, realise that Tom was found UNCONSCIOUS. People die even from drinking too much in a bender.. More than most of us realise.

Add in a drug of some point...that he was in King st and lying on a footpath, apparently with no mates or support around..and we have to realise what a terrible thing this is. Tom was at serious risk on so many levels of a much worse outcome than just being embarrassed or having shamed our club.

I'm a parent. And I just feel petrified to think how this story could have ended.

I hope so much the club does everything to help him. And that he takes the wake up call to help himself.

Well said remember54. It could of been a lot worse lucky his ok and he now focus on getting the helps he needs and the media comes down over it.

Dazza
06-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Well there goes our squeaky clean image........I guess we can't pretend to be holier than thou now when pointing at the Hawks and WCE......disappointing.

I wonder whether there is any deeper issues like depression or personal problems which he is battling.

TBH it just sounds like he is suffering from adolescence. Probably has a few mates from school that he should distance himself from on the weekends. These are the sacrifices you have to make as an AFL footballer.

Not a big deal IMO.

But you'd hope he learns from this and gets the most out of his playing career in the future. With a leader like Boyd at the club and a father like Tony at home you'd assume he'd make an effort from here on out.

Happy Days
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL!

It's fair to say how badly this reflects on Tom, the club and the playing group, and it's concerning that he passed out in the city at 3, but as a 20 y.o myself I can attest to this not being totally out of the ordinary behaviour.

Tom, given his profile, should have known better, but branding him a criminal is stupid.

Remi Moses
06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL!

It's fair to say how badly this reflects on Tom, the club and the playing group, and it's concerning that he passed out in the city at 3, but as a 20 y.o myself I can attest to this not being totally out of the ordinary behaviour.

Tom, given his profile, should have known better, but branding him a criminal is stupid.

Good point, back in the 80's it was get paralytic on a Sat night.
Now it's taking substances, I gather he didn't have enough to warrant arrest.
Young adults ( even old ones) make mistakes and let's hope he learns a harsh lesson, otherwise it will be a short lived AFL career.Club acted swiftly and have taken appropriate action.

DragzLS1
06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
It's just really disappointing from a player I thought was very much the opposite. He seems like a very good kid and hopefully learns from this!

Hotdog60
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
He need to sit down and have a long talk with Dale Morris on what is required to be a AFL footballer. (If anyone saw his interview at half time)

westbulldog
06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
He is a kid who made a mistake, who didn't at that age ? He will cop the penalties, the bad press and learn from it. Lets get behind him and support him.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Shermo's ban last season put paid to that.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
What a shock when I was told this news earlier today. The club did what it had to do, and I commend them for their swift response, but also for the fact they are standing behind Libba.

On the circumstances themselves, it is IMO quite disappointing to read of people questioning Libba's character. Fair dinkum, he is a 20 year old man who made a big blue. His behaviour was completely inappropriate for a professional footballer during a season, but for most 20y/o's, not all that uncommon. To read of him being found in and out of consciousness, means whatever he'd been partaking of, he's had a lot of it. And that's a serious, serious problem. That is a real worry. But that doesn't make him a bad person. Whether the drug-taking was a once-off bender, or a sign of a deeper issue, the lad needs support. From a selfish standpoint, I want him to forge out a great career in our colours - but also, he's someone's son.

Just on Aker's Tweeting... what happened to 'no mentions of him ever again', as many have said. Didn't last long! If he's as irrelevant as many say, why are they commenting on him?

G-Mo77
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
From a selfish standpoint, I want him to forge out a great career in our colours - but also, he's someone's son.

When you break it down like that we've all been pretty selfish. We were all quietly hoping it's not one of our better players then when it was announced we were all hoping the punishment doesn't change his career. It could have ended worse than this and the Liberatore would be happy their son is alive and well.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
When you break it down like that we've all been pretty selfish. We were all quietly hoping it's not one of our better players then when it was announced we were all hoping the punishment doesn't change his career. It could have ended worse than this and the Liberatore would be happy their son is alive and well.

True. That gets lost in these sorts of circumstances.

Dazza
06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
What a shock when I was told this news earlier today. The club did what it had to do, and I commend them for their swift response, but also for the fact they are standing behind Libba.

On the circumstances themselves, it is IMO quite disappointing to read of people questioning Libba's character. Fair dinkum, he is a 20 year old man who made a big blue. His behaviour was completely inappropriate for a professional footballer during a season, but for most 20y/o's, not all that uncommon. To read of him being found in and out of consciousness, means whatever he'd been partaking of, he's had a lot of it. And that's a serious, serious problem. That is a real worry. But that doesn't make him a bad person. Whether the drug-taking was a once-off bender, or a sign of a deeper issue, the lad needs support. From a selfish standpoint, I want him to forge out a great career in our colours - but also, he's someone's son.

Just on Aker's Tweeting... what happened to 'no mentions of him ever again', as many have said. Didn't last long! If he's as irrelevant as many say, why are they commenting on him?

It depends what he's taken. If he's taken something like GHB and has been drinking it would only take a few mil to get like that. It's incredibly dangerous.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
It depends what he's taken. If he's taken something like GHB and has been drinking it would only take a few mil to get like that. It's incredibly dangerous.

True.

Mofra
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
What I never understand with professional athletes (particularly AFL footballers), is how they don't appear to consider the risk to their performance when they're indulging in this sort of stuff. As a mere mortal, I usually feel pretty crappy after a big night on the turps, but I sit at a desk all day for my job. For these guys, their bodies are their tools of work, so to speak. If they're putting drugs and alcohol into their system, I would guess that it would be affecting their training, their recovery, their injury rehabilitation, their decision making abilities, all the things that earn them their massive dollars.
Put simply, there is a belief that drugs are safer than alcohol, there is less physical impact (alcohol is one of the few drugs that adversely affect every cell in the body) and recovery is alot quicker.

It's far more culturally accepted than earlier generations realise. I don't think Dale Lewis would have been too far off the mark.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
As someone said earlier, this must be rock bottom we start to go up now.

Scorlibo
06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
The biggest problem here is the damage he has done to the club image.

Those who are questioning whether he has some deeper underlying issues, you don't have to be a drug addict to take drugs, and I'd suggest that it's pretty normal for guys around his age, especially footy players, to go out and have a great many drinks. On this particular occasion, the sin is that he's tipped himself just over the edge and poorly chosen some friends who haven't assisted him to get home (I would be really disappointed if it turned out that he was out with other doggy players who didn't look after him).

The frustrating bit is that the club now must publicly respond in a manner which satisfies the greatest conservatives out there and makes Tom and the club look exceptionally silly.

Dry Rot
06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
As someone said earlier, this must be rock bottom we start to go up now.

Dunno - either us or Port will get the spoon next season IMO.

comrade
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
His career is at a crossroads and can go one of two ways.

He either learns from the mistakes he has made, removes the bad influences in his life and dedicates himself to being the best footballer and person he can be.

Or he can shrug this off as an unlucky break, get sucked in by his mates who don't have the same responsibilities and become just one of many footballers who never achieve the success they were capable of.

He needs to ask himself how much does he want to be a successful footballer? Are drugs and alcohol and having a good time more important to him?

He needs all the support and good influences he can get but ultimately, the choice is his.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Devastated for him, his family and his team mates.

Who gives a shit.
Why devastated? he's 20. everyone *!*!*!*!s around with substances when they are 20.
All I give a shit about is his attitude on field. when the shit hits the fan he is one of the few who
will stand up and say *!*!*!*! this, we are not going down without a fight.

Expecting these guys not to have fun is unrealistic. Go for it libba , enjoy yourself,
and when our premiership window opens , I know you will be there 100%.

frank.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Who gives a shit.
Why devastated? he's 20. everyone *!*!*!*!s around with substances when they are 20.
All I give a shit about is his attitude on field. when the shit hits the fan he is one of the few who
will stand up and say fu$% this, we are not going down without a fight.

Expecting these guys not to have fun is unrealistic. Go for it libba , enjoy yourself,

frank.

That's the thing - too much 'enjoying himself' will see that his career is done in an instant.

LostDoggy
06-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Unfortunately if it was GHB, then there might be a bigger problem, it's not the type of drug you start out on and yes very dangerous combined with alcohol. Very risky especially if one was already dehydrated from a game.

F'scary
06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
He's just a young bloke who made a mistake. That's how I'm seeing it. What we've got to hope is that it is a one off incident and not the start of a Ben Cousins sort of problem. I'm betting it will be a one off incident only. A growing up issue. It would be good if he had a normal day job - same goes for most of the young guys. Don't know how it would fit in though with all the training, etc requirements but would be good if it could.

bornadog
06-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Who gives a shit.

frank.

Is this a joke post:confused:

GetDimmaBack
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM

Was wondering that myself!

I have to admit that when the story broke, Libba was the last one I expected to be named.
Incredibly disappointing, even if it was a one-off.

Just don't know what to make of it all at the moment; I hope the boy is okay.

The club doesn't need something like this right now, either. However, we are the Dogs, and we will go on, as always...

Ghost Dog
06-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Who gives a shit.

frank.

Bit hard to do that when you are warming the pine. How does being off the field help us?

Dark day for our club. Our logo, with a headline about drugs in it.
I think it is HIGHLY realistic to expect professionals to act in accordance to standards of behavior. Be they teachers, athletes or whoever.
And if you think for a second that it's all about what you do on the field, look at what happened to Wayne Carey when
he accepted his last award ( whatever it was ) on the field. Booed to kingdom come by all and sundry. The greatest player that ever played the game, and nobody gives a rats, because of what he did off the field.
Our leadership group has a massive question mark hanging over it. And the kid is just one offence away from being out of the team.

cinder
06-08-2012, 11:41 PM

+1

Completely irresponsible thing to say? Hoping it was a joke.

AndrewP6
06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Stokes got over it, it's possible to get over it, I hope he does too.

Stokes was dealing the stuff. A zillion times worse than taking it yourself.

anfo27
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Who gives a shit.

frank.

I give a shit Frank. I put my hard earned money every year for this club & if one of our players is found unconscious at 3:30am by the police then i definitely give a shit.

Libba is in a privileged position & if he wants to do that sort of stuff then go & play local footy & then nobody will give a shit. You can't have it both ways.

Was gutted when i heard the news. This doesn't make Tom a bad person but I'm just disappointed in him.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I give a shit Frank. I put my hard earned money every year for this club & if one of our players is found unconscious at 3:30am by the police then i definitely give a shit.

Libba is in a privileged position & if he wants to do that sort of stuff then go & play local footy & then nobody will give a shit. You can't have it both ways.

Was gutted when i heard the news. This doesn't make Tom a bad person but I'm just disappointed in him.

Our club has lost touch with our working class roots. King street???? At least he could have chosen somewhere with a bit of class.

Dry Rot
07-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Our club has lost touch with our working class roots. King street???? At least he could have chosen somewhere with a bit of class.

King Street? Please explain to non-Victorians.

AndrewP6
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM

It has a (well-deserved) reputation for sleaze/crime/drugs/violence. Not a shining example of the best Melbourne has to offer.

SonofScray
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
He's representing me as a member of the Club and being paid well to do so. Usually I'm all for leaving players' be to live their lives as they choose but with that comes the responsibility of being a professional athlete. I think its reasonable for us to expect players will take care of their bodies and prepare exceptionally well.

Simply cannot have that type of behaviour happening in season (drunk/out late) for our sake and really hope Tom realises that he can't be taking drugs etc for his sake. A Saturday night here and there, a handful of girls or whatever, just isn't worth the risk to his health first and foremost, or his career prospects beyond that.

Geez it was disappointing news.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2012, 12:20 AM

King street is for try hard gangsters and drugs, strip clubs and general looserism.
It's a place to take your hummer limo for a spin you know, just show it off and impress the ladies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/true-crime-scene/king-st-strip-our-most-feared-spot/story-fnat7jnn-1226313878587

47% of people say it's the most dangerous place in Melbourne.
The rest think it's west footscray station ^_^

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Bit hard to do that when you are warming the pine. How does being off the field help us?

Dark day for our club. Our logo, with a headline about drugs in it.
I think it is HIGHLY realistic to expect professionals to act in accordance to standards of behavior. Be they teachers, athletes or whoever.
And if you think for a second that it's all about what you do on the field, look at what happened to Wayne Carey when
he accepted his last award ( whatever it was ) on the field. Booed to kingdom come by all and sundry. The greatest player that ever played the game, and nobody gives a rats, because of what he did off the field.
Our leadership group has a massive question mark hanging over it. And the kid is just one offence away from being out of the team.

This to me is the critical point. How did our leadership group allow it to get to this point? Why had no one, leadership group, coaching staff etc sought to pull him into line? Leadership isn't about holding up the cup at the end of the season and saying what a great bunch of guys your teammates are, its about pulling non-conformers into line; striving for the team ethos; going the extra mile when things are down; and if you are lucky, being able to celebrate the highs.

Make no bones about it, Libba is a dickhead, not so much for using drugs, but because he is stupid enough to believe that doing drugs will still allow him to perform as an elite athlete and that there will be no accounting for his actions at some point.

My take is pretty hardline. If you choose to be an athlete then there are rules that you abide by. You have a collective responsibility to your team mates, the club, and the fans of the club at a minimum to do your utmost to be the best possible athlete you can be. If you don't want to do that, *!*!*!*! Off! I hope the club take a strong stance on this - whether this is your first/second strike it is irrelevant - as a player on the Bulldogs list you must abide by team rules - next transgression will see the club sack him. There are no place whatsoever for drugs in a football club and if Libba is too much of a dickhead to realise this then is he really the type of guy we want playing for us? Better off putting time into someone else!

AndrewP6
07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
This to me is the critical point. How did our leadership group allow it to get to this point? Why had no one, leadership group, coaching staff etc sought to pull him into line? Leadership isn't about holding up the cup at the end of the season and saying what a great bunch of guys your teammates are, its about pulling non-conformers into line; striving for the team ethos; going the extra mile when things are down; and if you are lucky, being able to celebrate the highs.

Make no bones about it, Libba is a dickhead, not so much for using drugs, but because he is stupid enough to believe that doing drugs will still allow him to perform as an elite athlete and that there will be no accounting for his actions at some point.

My take is pretty hardline. If you choose to be an athlete then there are rules that you abide by. You have a collective responsibility to your team mates, the club, and the fans of the club at a minimum to do your utmost to be the best possible athlete you can be. If you don't want to do that, *!*!*!*! Off! I hope the club take a strong stance on this - whether this is your first/second strike it is irrelevant - as a player on the Bulldogs list you must abide by team rules - next transgression will see the club sack him. There are no place whatsoever for drugs in a football club and if Libba is too much of a dickhead to realise this then is he really the type of guy we want playing for us? Better off putting time into someone else!

That's all well and good, but you seem to have found him guilty of the next offence already! What about giving him a chance to make amends? As for the leadership group, whilst I have my concerns, why do they have to take responsibility after hours? Surely you don't want them following the players around, making sure they're not 'out of line', all hours of the day and night? By asking why no one pulled him into line, you're going on the assumption that this incident was one of several. There's no evidence to suggest that.

Dry Rot
07-08-2012, 12:45 AM
It has a (well-deserved) reputation for sleaze/crime/drugs/violence. Not a shining example of the best Melbourne has to offer.

King street is for try hard gangsters and drugs, strip clubs and general looserism.
It's a place to take your hummer limo for a spin you know, just show it off and impress the ladies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/true-crime-scene/king-st-strip-our-most-feared-spot/story-fnat7jnn-1226313878587

Thanks to both of you.

So it's Melbourne's equivalent to the main drag of Sydney's Kings Cross?

If so, most Swans fans would be pissed off to have one of their young guns found passed out there.

Not good for Libba or the club.

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
That's all well and good, but you seem to have found him guilty of the next offence already! What about giving him a chance to make amends? As for the leadership group, whilst I have my concerns, why do they have to take responsibility after hours? Surely you don't want them following the players around, making sure they're not 'out of line', all hours of the day and night? By asking why no one pulled him into line, you're going on the assumption that this incident was one of several. There's no evidence to suggest that.

A couple of points:

1) What I have said is that Libba should be put in no doubt that this is his final chance; the club doesn't tolerate drugs - recreational or performance enhancing and that if he wants to be part of a team then he needs to give up his social partying - its not finding him guilty before he's committing the crime, its simply saying commit the crime and that's it;

2) The point is they shouldn't have to follow a guy like Libba around. he should be so well aware of team expectations and the social norms which the Bulldogs operate under. If he doesn't then its either those social norms are not sufficiently spelt out hence a leadership problem or he has chosen to ignore them - in either instance there is an issue. As club leaders I would expect all of them to ask the question of themselves whether they could have seen this coming;

My take is fairly simple - we have a collection of individuals who form to be a team. That team has rules. no matter how good a player you are those rules apply to you. If the team starts making exceptions or enforcing the rules in an ad hoc manner then it weakens the team values. If you weaken some team values how can you then expect to enforce those values which you regard as important.

I appreciate that this is fairly black and white, but I think when it comes to drugs and athletes then the matter is pretty black and white - the two simply don't mix. I couldn't care less if Libba chose not to be a footballer and woke up in his own vomit after a night on booze and pills, that's his choice......but he has made a decision to be a footballer, so the 30k members who give their hard earned in membership, merchandise and time deserve to have a team full of players who are committed to the cause. No one has held a gun to his head and said...."You must be an AFL player".

What would be your suggested action if Libba re-offends?

Dry Rot
07-08-2012, 01:19 AM
I appreciate that this is fairly black and white, but I think when it comes to drugs and athletes then the matter is pretty black and white - the two simply don't mix. I couldn't care less if Libba chose not to be a footballer and woke up in his own vomit after a night on booze and pills, that's his choice......but he has made a decision to be a footballer, so the 30k members who give their hard earned in membership, merchandise and time deserve to have a team full of players who are committed to the cause. No one has held a gun to his head and said...."You must be an AFL player".

I have a bit of problem with worrying about athletes and recreational drugs NB in the off season after the grand final.

Seems it's OK to get shit faced with alcohol and do silly things with dodgy knees, boards and taxis in Hong Kong, but not with booze and drugs (who knows what what they were?).

And I despise the whole role model thing.

Dry Rot
07-08-2012, 01:20 AM

Ten rounds with Barry Hall.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Look I might have come in a bit hard but I don't like seeing one of our own hung out to
dry for doing what every, and i mean every kid (that i know at least) does as a part of growing up.

So no it is not a joke post. I've seen Tom try to reverse the flow onfield when the chips
are down and unfortunately we have too few like him.
I can't find it in my heart to condemn him for this incident, especially as I have myself,
and seen my little brother and all his mates go through the exact same stuff...
yes I have worried about them, but they have turned out fine.

I don't expect any more from Tom than any other young member of society,
I think he is a normal kid who just happens to be very good at playing football.
Taking drugs can be a serious, dangerous business, but all young people
will come in contact with them at some point or other. I probably over reacted
but it just shit me how pc everything is nowadays and I guess I was reacting
to the inevitable media shitstorm that I don't think Tom, or the club deserves.

AndrewP6
07-08-2012, 01:22 AM
2) The point is they shouldn't have to follow a guy like Libba around. he should be so well aware of team expectations and the social norms which the Bulldogs operate under. If he doesn't then its either those social norms are not sufficiently spelt out hence a leadership problem or he has chosen to ignore them - in either instance there is an issue. As club leaders I would expect all of them to ask the question of themselves whether they could have seen this coming;

Then why ask "Why had no one, leadership group, coaching staff etc sought to pull him into line"??
If they weren't with him at the time (and it doesn't seem like anyone was :eek:) how could they pull him into line if they weren't there? "Pull him into line" implies the behaviour has been repeated, which no one knows to be true - none of us anyway. I think it's unfair to expect any leader at any club to see this coming - players have to be given some freedom to make their own judgment in relation to behaviours. Libba made his, and as we now know, he made a terrible judgment.

I think it would be hard to keep him on. That said, players have done worse and kept jobs - or been given them.

SonofScray
07-08-2012, 01:25 AM

Sacked. Hurts to say, but that is what I would want... I think. I doubt many clubs would take that line with a gun player though.

Its funny, I'm usually of the thought that so long as players do their job on the field we shouldn't worry too much about their private lives. But this news shocked me and has me leaning the other way completely.

westbulldog
07-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Some of the posters are incredibly self-righteous. Neither they, nor anyone in their family, have obviously never made any serious mistakes in their lives, are all as pure as the driven snow and are aware of all the circumstances here. Yes it seems he made a big mistake and and will pay for it. How about giving him a break and supporting him rather than deserting him ?

westbulldog
07-08-2012, 01:29 AM

that's a classic Ghost Dog

strebla
07-08-2012, 01:50 AM
I wasn't going to weigh in here but am so sick of the yuppies having their head stuck where the sun doesn't shine . I am a bogan and have been ba member for 29 years through thick and thin young Tom made a blue and will pay for it as for what happens if it occurs again well none of us really know what has happened this time so pay as you go I think. Some of you people here need to remember where you came from and stop slandering anyone who is different to you I for one am not impressed !!!!

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Some of the posters are incredibly self-righteous. Neither they, nor anyone in their family, have obviously never made any serious mistakes in their lives, are all as pure as the driven snow and are aware of all the circumstances here. Yes it seems he made a big mistake and and will pay for it. How about giving him a break and supporting him rather than deserting him ?

I am probably the one being self righteous. When I first came to London I was offered a cushy job in the finance team of one of the Rail companies. Good money, 9-5, free rail travel. One of the conditions was that Railway health and Safety rules stipulated that they had a zero tolerance to drugs and alcohal and that you were not to be on company premises if under the influence of either (that included hangovers). I knew as an Aussie in London keeping my end of the bargain was impossible - between liquid lunches and Sundays at the Church, I probably would have had 3 out of 5 days either on the p*ss or recovering - I turned down the job - my lifestyle was never going to allow me to comply with their rules.

Its not that Libba has made a mistake that has p*sed me off, its the fact that someone with the amount of talent he has is prepared to P8ss it all away. Yes he is young, but he is getting bloody well paid for what his natural abilties have allowed him to do. The club are investing a significant amount of time and effort into making him elite and his way of repaying that is to act like a dick.

I am all for supporting people. There are people who for a variety of reasons end up with a drug addiction and they should get our sympathy, but I also think that if you take that attitude from the start then you are missing the opportunity to correct behaviour before it becomes a serious problem. Everyone criticised the WCE for their drug culture. All and sundry sniggered at Fletcher being revived in an operating theatre......the question asked was why did the club leaders allow that culture to persist? Its too easy to take a short term view and pursue short term success at the expense of individual players' health.

This is a serious transgression from a young up and coming player, who if he wasn;t the son of a club great or a high draft pick would probably be more harshly judged.

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 02:35 AM
I wasn't going to weigh in here but am so sick of the yuppies having their head stuck where the sun doesn't shine . I am a bogan and have been ba member for 29 years through thick and thin young Tom made a blue and will pay for it as for what happens if it occurs again well none of us really know what has happened this time so pay as you go I think. Some of you people here need to remember where you came from and stop slandering anyone who is different to you I for one am not impressed !!!!

Born and bread in St.Albans so I saw first hand a lot of guys fall into hard drugs some of the really good mates. I played with guys who could have made it at AFL level, but for the mates they chose to hang out with.

To see a quality young player waste his talent for social kicks is a disappointment. I will always say though that the club is bigger than the individual though and if he isn't prepared to tow the team line, then cut him loose. Harsh yes. Knee jerk, no.

westbulldog
07-08-2012, 02:37 AM
I am probably the one being self righteous

You said it ... and are you now inferring that there is an addiction involved ?

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 03:54 AM
I am probably the one being self righteous

You said it ... and are you now inferring that there is an addiction involved ?

No. Not at all. However every addict has a first time.

There is a reason drugs are regarded as illegal but from a social and an AFL perspective. Is it too much to ask a professional AFL player to comply?

Hotdog60
07-08-2012, 06:42 AM
As we don't know all the facts, could Tom's indiscretion be drinking and the drugs could be the result of spiking. I draw a hard line on drugs and don't want to get into the whole alcohol over drugs and vise versa debate it's been on here before.

Could he have been setup by someone and being so embarrassed that he taken the easier line of being a dickhead or is covering for a mate.

The trouble is we don't know. I hope he takes a very straight line from now on and becomes a genuine star of the game.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Been thinking about this more - can anyone tell me why he was on his own? It's a while since I've been out on the town with girlfriends, but we would have never left someone to fend for themself, especially if there was alcohol (never drugs in my circle) involved. You just didn't do it! I'm assuming he was with a mate or mates - people don't usually go out alone, so just where were they when he needed their support?

G-Mo77
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
He's what at a club function at the Crown before hand so that's a good question.

Jeanette54
07-08-2012, 09:28 AM
The only problem I have with the clubs response is the ban from training.

I don't think that exclusion from the group is a sensible move, at a time when he might need the player group to show some support and assist him through the fall-out from his actions.

Leaving Tom to sort it out alone (no matter how strong his character might appear to be) is IMHO rather unwise, and more than a little unkind.

KT31
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM

What are you saying, I met my wife in King St.:D

Maddog37
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
The only problem I have with the clubs response is the ban from training.

I don't think that exclusion from the group is a sensible move, at a time when he might need the player group to show some support and assist him through the fall-out from his actions.

Leaving Tom to sort it out alone (no matter how strong his character might appear to be) is IMHO rather unwise, and more than a little unkind.

He will still have contact with team mates socially etc. what they are doing is showing him how it will be permanently if he continues down this path. Hopefully by losing the ability to do what he loves for a while will help him refocus on his chosen career.

Alot of posturing and differing views on this topic.

I just hope the kid is ok and that his family and friends support him. He is still a very young man with many lessons to be learned and this is a particularly nasty one.

bornadog
07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Been thinking about this more - can anyone tell me why he was on his own? It's a while since I've been out on the town with girlfriends, but we would have never left someone to fend for themself, especially if there was alcohol (never drugs in my circle) involved. You just didn't do it! I'm assuming he was with a mate or mates - people don't usually go out alone, so just where were they when he needed their support?

According to the report in The Age, he was with a couple of players who tried to stop him drinking and get him home, but apparently Libba has a very strong character and wouldn't listen.

One of the two teammates with him, one a designated driver, alerted the club as soon as the incident happened. Both have been cleared of any wrong-doing but it's been confirmed teammate and good friend Mitch Wallis was not among the party. The Bulldogs insist the two teammates have no case to answer as Liberatore is known as a ''headstrong'' character who will do what he feels is best. If anything, it's felt the pair was simply guilty of stupidity for heading to such a troubled spot in the first place.

When the two teammates discovered he had gone overboard, they reacted quickly by ringing club officials.

KT31
07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I had an apprentice a couple of years back, training with an AFL club, that took pills every time he went out.
His reasoning was they would be out of his system quicker, he would pull up better and it would not effect his fitness and skin fold tests.
We would be naive to think that he is the only kid at our club to try it, or for that matter it being restricted to the kids.
I do have concerns he was found by himself, someone had to be with him.(hopefully not another player from our list.)
At this stage I hope he can learn from his mistake, I'm sure the club will give him some serious counselling and even the should even consider some community work, to see what the results of these drugs can be.
Then put him in the ring with the senior list and let them give him a couple of lessons.
As a parent and coach thinking of Tony and family.

Greystache
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
A bit of info about what went on

Liberatore in doghouse after city bender

WHILE the Western Bulldogs had largely struggled against North Melbourne on Saturday, Tom Liberatore had continued to show why he is so highly rated at the Whitten Oval.

The emerging midfielder, the son of club great and 1990 Brownlow medallist Tony, had 24 disposals and was one of the Bulldogs' better players in the nine-goal defeat.

But just hours later the goodwill he had generated in almost two years at the club had taken a pounding.

Out with two teammates, he was found bleary-eyed at 3.30am slumped against a dirty wall, drunk and carrying a small amount of a recreational, illicit drug, believed to be ecstasy, by police in King Street, Melbourne.

An ambulance was called but the Bulldogs have denied claims that Liberatore had slipped in and out of consciousness. They also insist this was a one-off incident and he does not have a drug problem.

Liberatore, 20, wasn't charged or taken to a police station and has been placed in a drug diversion program.

The stigma, though, will remain and has resulted in a ''strike'' under the AFL's illicit drugs policy. He will also be the latest addition to a list of players target-tested.

One of the two teammates with him, one a designated driver, alerted the club as soon as the incident happened. Both have been cleared of any wrong-doing but it's been confirmed teammate and good friend Mitch Wallis was not among the party.

A worried and stunned Tony Liberatore was hauled out of bed in the early hours of the morning to collect his son.

Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick was furious.

"To say we are all completely disappointed in Tom is an absolute understatement,'' he said.

What has particularly angered the Bulldogs is that, like all clubs, they warn their players to avoid the notorious King Street nightclub precinct, the scene of many a drunken footballer through the decades. But this message was ignored.

The Bulldogs insist the two teammates have no case to answer as Liberatore is known as a ''headstrong'' character who will do what he feels is best. If anything, it's felt the pair was simply guilty of stupidity for heading to such a troubled spot in the first place.

When the two teammates discovered he had gone overboard, they reacted quickly by ringing club officials.

Liberatore's strong, even charismatic, manner has helped him become the player he is and earn praise for his maturity and determination on the field.

Yet, off the field, this incident has uncovered what some club officials fear is an underlying issue about the friendships he has retained from St Kevin's College, where he developed a strong interest in writing and Australian history and scored 94 in his VCE.

There is a feeling the former Calder Cannon has been influenced by old schoolmates in terms of drug use, and is now likely to be advised to reconsider the priorities in his life.

''He has got a little of the lad about him. He is not a straight down the line, get home at 7pm and read the Bible [person],'' a club official said.

''He is amongst it having a bit of fun. It's finding that balance of being an AFL player, recognising that you are recognisable and you have to be smart.''

The Bulldogs, fronted by football manager James Fantasia, were reminded of this at a team meeting on Sunday, while the club's extended leadership group reinforced this yesterday by devising the penalties.

Drinking is one thing. Drugs, though, are a more serious offence, and again prompts the question whether this remains as much an issue for football as it does society in general.

Only six players failed illicit drugs tests last year, all first strikes, for stimulants, which include cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines.

''We would be kidding ourselves if we thought it was something we were not going to have to deal with,'' said a Dogs official.

AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson said the incident was concerning but he supported the action taken by the Bulldogs.

In the meantime, Liberatore, taken with a second-round pick in the 2010 national draft, has been suspended for the rest of the season. He has also been fined $5000 and ordered to find outside work and undergo counselling.

Link to article (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/liberatore-in-doghouse-after-city-bender-20120806-23qf0.html)

Mofra
07-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I had an apprentice a couple of years back, training with an AFL club, that took pills every time he went out.
His reasoning was they would be out of his system quicker, he would pull up better and it would not effect his fitness and skin fold tests.
It's pretty much the perception of the entire age group - I'm in my mid 30s and I have friends who get on the gear a couple of times a month.
When you consider how socially acceptable alcohol is, and how damaging it actually is, you would expect peopel to search for an alternative (right or wrong).

bornadog
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
It's pretty much the perception of the entire age group - I'm in my mid 30s and I have friends who get on the gear a couple of times a month.
When you consider how socially acceptable alcohol is, and how damaging it actually is, you would expect peopel to search for an alternative (right or wrong).

There is something wrong with people who can't enjoy themselves in life without having to resort to being high or pissed on a regular basis.

I love drinking a glass of wine or two which compliments my meal etc, but getting paralytic and vomiting everywhere and stuffing up the next day because of a hangover is not my ideal night out. I don't need drugs to enjoy a night out either. If I did, then there must be something seriously wrong with me.

Mofra
07-08-2012, 11:09 AM
There is something wrong with people who can't enjoy themselves in life without having to resort to being high or pissed on a regular basis.

I love drinking a glass of wine or two which compliments my meal etc, but getting paralytic and vomiting everywhere and stuffing up the next day because of a hangover is not my ideal night out. I don't need drugs to enjoy a night out either. If I did, then there must be something seriously wrong with me.
That's a value judgement, you're entitled to it.

To assume that the mere mention of the word "drugs" is somehow equivalent to getting paralytic is a strange one, especially considering you acknowlege that alcohol can be consumed in moderation - that's exactly how some people view, and partake, of certain substances.

bornadog
07-08-2012, 12:03 PM
That's a value judgement, you're entitled to it.

Not just a value judgement. There is a culture out there that to enjoy yourself you need to drink or take drugs, and not just in moderation. That tells me there is something wrong in society when people can't enjoy themselves without excesses.

Personally, if people want to resort to this sort of thing, that's fine, as long as they don't harm others. However, the cost to society is enormous and a whole different discussion.

Back to Libba - I just hope he can recover from all of this and get back to earning some respect from his family, supporters, team mates etc. He clearly has a problem.

comrade
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it's a good thing that the article mentions the parasitic hangers on. Hopefully it doesn't create an us vs them mentality, and that Tom can see them for the dickheads they are.

EasternWest
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Not just a value judgement. There is a culture out there that to enjoy yourself you need to drink or take drugs, and not just in moderation. That tells me there is something wrong in society when people can't enjoy themselves without.

I kind of agree and kind of disagree.

I agree that there is a culture that revels in excess, but as per everything else it's that small minority that you hear of, because it's them making the news and causing the trouble.

I would argue that a greater proportion of people (myself included) can go out and drink in moderation, do no harm, have fun and come home without trouble or feeling crap the next day.

It's sexy to report the bad stuff, it's not newsworthy otherwise.

jeemak
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I think it's a good thing that the article mentions the parasitic hangers on. Hopefully it doesn't create an us vs them mentality, and that Tom can see them for the dickheads they are.

I personally think it's a bit of a cop out, or an easy way out to talk about the influence of his former school mates.

Maybe Tom is a hanger on to them? It's funny how some social groups work, in some cases being an AFL player or "Jock" isn't seen as being cool.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Not just a value judgement. There is a culture out there that to enjoy yourself you need to drink or take drugs, and not just in moderation. That tells me there is something wrong in society when people can't enjoy themselves without excesses.

Personally, if people want to resort to this sort of thing, that's fine, as long as they don't harm others. However, the cost to society is enormous and a whole different discussion.

Back to Libba - I just hope he can recover from all of this and get back to earning some respect from his family, supporters, team mates etc. He clearly has a problem.

I tried most things when I was in my early 20's and am what most people would consider a pretty straight bloke. Have a desk job now, run a team of 12 sales and marketing people and I have a good life. I had a heck of a time experimenting on ocassion when I was 20 (particularly Amstadam) and whilst I don't regret it would never do it again and think its pretty stupid. There are 100 afl potential kids out there who never make it because of booze and drugs and its not abuse or addiction its just mucking around with their mates thats pulls them out of the 1% that do make it. You can't play at this level, particularly 16-20 when your totally under the microscope, and sustain that type of "normally little bit naughty" pre-adult lifestyle. Personally, I don't blame the guy for doing it as heaps of others his age do the same. I do think he's a fool, however, and also think its great he's busted as he either won't do it ever again and will knuckle down and be awesome or he'll chuck the baby and the bathwater out, go wild and free up a slot early that we can fill with someone who wants to be there. Lets pray for the former. I hope the club and his dad kick his butt (really really hard) and he then sheepishly gets on with never doing this again. Best outcome all around if he was getting dragged into this by his mates at this age. Tom gets a choice now and I hope he makes the right one or he's going to bitterly regret it. Rooting for him :)

whythelongface
07-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Disappointing for the club and the supporters, however the most important thing is that he is alive. He is a young man who now has the opportunity to look at what he has done and change his behaviour, with the support of the club and those significant others around him. He will learn from his mistakes and hopefully in a few years time he will become an elite footballer.

Doc26
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I personally think it's a bit of a cop out, or an easy way out to talk about the influence of his former school mates.

Maybe Tom is a hanger on to them? It's funny how some social groups work, in some cases being an AFL player or "Jock" isn't seen as being cool.

Was thinking along similar lines to this.

Just maybe Tom is the bad influence. What's to say his 'mates' parents aren't saying the same thing to their children, that they should'nt be hanging around with him, that his influence is adversely effecting their lives ? Seems to often you hear the excuse that 'he's' just caught up in a bad crowd.

It's not a hanging offence per se but just don't want such a great football 'talent' to find his career finished prematurely having taken a similar path to a Dan Connors.

Mofra
07-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Personally, I don't blame the guy for doing it as heaps of others his age do the same. I do think he's a fool, however, and also think its great he's busted as he either won't do it ever again and will knuckle down and be awesome or he'll chuck the baby and the bathwater out, go wild and free up a slot early that we can fill with someone who wants to be there. Lets pray for the former. I hope the club and his dad kick his butt (really really hard) and he then sheepishly gets on with never doing this again. Best outcome all around if he was getting dragged into this by his mates at this age. Tom gets a choice now and I hope he makes the right one or he's going to bitterly regret it. Rooting for him :)
There may be another factor at play as well - he's going to be under 1000% more scrutiny in everything he does from now on.
If he's borderline, the extra scrutiny that will follow him for the rest of his career may be enough to keep him on the straight and narrow.

LostDoggy
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I tried most things when I was in my early 20's and am what most people would consider a pretty straight bloke. Have a desk job now, run a team of 12 sales and marketing people and I have a good life. I had a heck of a time experimenting on ocassion when I was 20 (particularly Amstadam) and whilst I don't regret it would never do it again and think its pretty stupid. There are 100 afl potential kids out there who never make it because of booze and drugs and its not abuse or addiction its just mucking around with their mates thats pulls them out of the 1% that do make it. You can't play at this level, particularly 16-20 when your totally under the microscope, and sustain that type of "normally little bit naughty" pre-adult lifestyle. Personally, I don't blame the guy for doing it as heaps of others his age do the same. I do think he's a fool, however, and also think its great he's busted as he either won't do it ever again and will knuckle down and be awesome or he'll chuck the baby and the bathwater out, go wild and free up a slot early that we can fill with someone who wants to be there. Lets pray for the former. I hope the club and his dad kick his butt (really really hard) and he then sheepishly gets on with never doing this again. Best outcome all around if he was getting dragged into this by his mates at this age. Tom gets a choice now and I hope he makes the right one or he's going to bitterly regret it. Rooting for him :)

Mate, yr a really good poster but why should he "sheepishly " get on with anything? you are coming across as self righteous. You went to Amsterdam, Tom had some pingas ... BIG DEAL. let him be a kid ffs .

Doc26
07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Just tweeted up by Stevo.

Mark Stevens‏@StevoHeraldSun
Tom Liberatore made it to 10am recovery session 5.5 hours after being picked up by police.

Tom has taken the meaning of Sunday's recovery session to a whole new place.

bornadog
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Mate, yr a really good poster but why should he "sheepishly " get on with anything? you are coming across as self righteous. You went to Amsterdam, Tom had some pingas ... BIG DEAL. let him be a kid ffs .

Your attitude and the attitude of a lot of young people to drugs is so irresponsible its not funny.

For starters have a read of this from today's Age:

TEENAGERS who smoke cannabis weekly are more than twice as likely as non-users to develop an anxiety disorder in their late 20s, even if they stop using the drug, new research has shown.
The research, published in the journal Addiction, drew on the results of a landmark 15-year study of nearly 2000 Victorian secondary students. An analysis of data collected between 1992 and 2008 found teenagers who smoked cannabis once a week or more for a period of at least six months doubled their risk of having an anxiety disorder for up to a decade afterwards. About 12 per cent of teenagers in the study - or one in eight - smoked cannabis at that level.
The association between cannabis use and anxiety disorders persisted even when researchers took into account other possible explanations, including pre-existing mental health problems or other drug use.

Read more:here (http://www.theage.com.au/national/teen-pot-smokers-develop-anxiety-20120806-23qal.html#ixzz22q4616zn)

and that's for so called harmless pot.

Mofra
07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
That is your opinion - I know plenty of regular drug users that advise moderation as their mantra - it's the people who drink and drink only that seem to have the greater problems with a lack of control and moderation.

Your attitude and the attitude of a lot of young people to drugs is so irresponsible its not funny.
It's alcohol which is the biggest problem - by a massive margin too.

bornadog
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
It's alcohol which is the biggest problem - by a massive margin too.

Agree alcohol is likely a bigger issue.

FrediKanoute
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM

The difference is Tom has chosen an athletic career which is specifically regulated and is in the spotlight. It is a big deal.

mighty_west
07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Exactly right, plus strike out 3 times and he can go play with his mates anytime he wants!

I agree with others about alcohol abuse can be just as or even more harmful, but the AFL doesn't strike you out of the game for alcohol.

Toms an absolute idiot, and really hope he learns from it, it's one thing to be a young person and experiment or whatever, but given the opportunity to play AFL footy and you simply cannot go there, especially given all the education rammed down their throats.

It's simply not a matter of being a prude or goody two shoes or whatever, there are also other issues such as losing sponsorship etc, something our club simply cannot afford.

anfo27
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM

For starters have a read of this from today's Age:

and that's for so called harmless pot.

Totally agree with you on this issue bornadog. The 'who cares everybody else does it attitude' is a real problem.
I'm in my early 30's now so back in my clubbing days it was everywhere & i reckon probably 20% of people in club was on something then. I would guess now that would be up around 70% maybe more but the attitude towards it is the biggest change.

My wife is a nurse & back when she was in school doing her degree she had to do work experience at a mental health Institution for a few months. She would tell me the place was filled with young men who were once pot smokers. There is definitely a link there IMO. I know a lot of people disregard it as nonsense because nothing has happened to them or anyone they know directly but it does happen.

Eastdog
07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Agree alcohol is likely a bigger issue.

Alcohol has caused more deaths than cannabis. The thing with Cannabis though is that it can muck around with your head but it also has some medical purposes as well.

MrMahatma
07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I had some strange idea that these blokes didn't even touch a beer mid-season!

Sounds like its make or break time. Shame for both the kid and club if it's break.

cinder
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Yes alcohol abuse can be harmful, I think everyone agrees but at the end of the day drug taking is illegal and a criminal offence. Hence the 3 strike system by the AFL. I think Libba can consider himself very lucky he wasn't charged by the police

Ghost Dog
07-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Dane Swan to the rescue! Hence forth my favourite Collingwood player.

MrMahatma
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Swan. Buddy in a crash. Libba on drugs.

AFL is making the NRL boys look smart.

azabob
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM

GD, Im not sure why, but the media even the Travis Tuck incident didn't go hard, the were sympathetic almost, same with Liberatore.

PS - Primas also being sacked helped the incident flying under the radar.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
So is Libba not paid during this period? Bulldoze the Debt donation please.

Tom, I would rather you never play for us again if it meant you were never to touch drugs ever in your life hence forth.

jeemak
07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
GD, Im not sure why, but the media even the Travis Tuck incident didn't go hard, the were sympathetic almost, same with Liberatore.

PS - Primas also being sacked helped the incident flying under the radar.

I know the Andrew Bolt in all of us would prefer a public whipping, maybe a session in the stocks where some rotten fruit and vegetables can be thrown at the offender, though I'm not sure going hard on people in these instances in a public setting is the best course of action.

Plus, the media is littered with people that suffer from gambling, substance and alcohol issues anyway.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I know the Andrew Bolt in all of us would prefer a public whipping, maybe a session in the stocks where some rotten fruit and vegetables can be thrown at the offender, though I'm not sure going hard on people in these instances in a public setting is the best course of action.

Plus, the media is littered with people that suffer from gambling, substance and alcohol issues anyway.

Jeemak, you are going to make me say it again......Love your work.

Sedat
08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Jon '0.139' Anderson sends his regards. So does Robbo and Mick Warner.

Remi Moses
08-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Jon '0.139' Anderson sends his regards. So does Robbo and Mick Warner.

Great stuff sedat. Lucky Anderson didn't kill anyone .
Ricky Nixon, well we all know the story.
The Kid's getting an easier ride because he's a kid.
Important lesson for him

Curly5
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Alcohol has caused more deaths than cannabis. The thing with Cannabis though is that it can muck around with your head but it also has some medical purposes as well.

No matter what anyone thinks about the relative merits/harmlessness/acceptability of drug use, the thing about drugs is that they're ILLEGAL, and alcohol isn't. Hence the AFL's strikes policy for drugs.

It's blindingly obvious that alcohol causes more problems. Tom's intake of 20 drinks (wild guess) seems to be what caused him to fall over in the street but that's overlooked and that one little pill has caused his problems.

Any idea who was with him and why they didn't get him into a cab before the police got involved?

Having said that, if this is regular behaviour for Tom, then this is a good wake up call. Hopefully he will pull up his socks now.

BulldogBelle
08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
To the posters arguing that alcohol is more harmful than illicit drugs in society, you are right....
BUT, running this argument in no way supports your case as its a nonsensical comparison.
If drugs were legalised, then you could make a proper comparison.
As they are not legal, trying to convince the rest of us that alcohol is a greater evil is utter stupidity!

Likewise, the argument 'every young bloke experiments with this stuff, so its not that bad' is also very short sighted. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't make it more right or wrong for that matter. The number of youths taking/experimenting with drugs does not add any extra weight to the argument... it proves nothing!

Mofra
08-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Likewise, the argument 'every young bloke experiments with this stuff, so its not that bad' is also very short sighted. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't make it more right or wrong for that matter. The number of youths taking/experimenting with drugs does not add any extra weight to the argument... it proves nothing!
It does actually - most footballers are held to account by higher standards than the rest of their peers of comparable age because of the nature of the position they hold - that in itself provides an emphasis for a greater level of professionalism than the majority of their contemporaries.

It means Libba has a choice - to continue to be the popular lad amongst his old friends, or tell anyone who is trying to influence him to keep his current passtime activities that he values his AFL career more and revert to a higher level of off-field professionalism than he has currently shown.

In a nutshell, he has to ditch the dickheads to prolong/save his career given the social norms of today.

azabob
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Jeemak I am glad the media hasn't gone hard. But i am surprised they have not, considering how they hounded Cousins, perhaps they have learnt from that situation?

Hmmm, I hope your not comparing me to Andre Bolt! :eek:

jeemak
08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Jeemak I am glad the media hasn't gone hard. But i am surprised they have not, considering how they hounded Cousins, perhaps they have learnt from that situation?

Hmmm, I hope your not comparing me to Andre Bolt! :eek:

That's tongue in cheek the Andrew Bolt comment, and more a suggestion that in all of us and across various issues there is a small part that wants to see people lashed in public from time to time, I don't know you at all, so don't take it personally!

I hope the media has learned from the sordid visions and outcomes resulting from the Ben Cousins case (why C7 thought it was a good idea to follow a strung out ice head - who had just been charged with drug offenses mind - around an airport with a camera I'll never know).

LostDoggy
08-08-2012, 04:27 PM
What is with Murph saying he was very concerned about Libba "he has lost his way and is in a dark place", is there a little more to this then we know? I hope the kid is OK starting to look a little like the Tuck episode.

G-Mo77
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Looks like the germ has changed his tune. Wonder if there was a little pressure put on him.

Jason Akermanis ‏@JAkermanis

Dalhaus was at home all night.He has done nothing wrong.Hope his ankle heals up. Tom is very silly. Hope both can get healthy. All good now.

LostDoggy
08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Looks like the germ has changed his tune. Wonder if there was a little pressure put on him.

Dalhaus was at home all night.He has done nothing wrong.Hope his ankle heals up. Tom is very silly. Hope both can get healthy. All good now.

The one thing I have learnt about Aka is that you have to read between the lines...I still dont trust the fool, but it s free country he can have his little free jabs, surely no bulldog fan really cares about him anymore. Karma will strike back one day.

G-Mo77
08-08-2012, 05:03 PM
The one thing I have learnt about Aka is that you have to read between the lines...I still dont trust the fool, but it s free country he can have his little free jabs, surely no bulldog fan really cares about him anymore. Karma will strike back one day.

Yeah it's a free country and you can say what you want to a point. There is a word called defamation and I think he knows the meaning of it now.

I hope Karma strikes him in a big way. :)

Sockeye Salmon
08-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Roughly translated - "I'm full of shit and if I don't fess up I will end up having to pay LD a lot of money"

azabob
08-08-2012, 07:58 PM
What is with Murph saying he was very concerned about Libba "he has lost his way and is in a dark place", is there a little more to this then we know? I hope the kid is OK starting to look a little like the Tuck episode.

The more I thought about Murphy's comments the more I became concerned. Does Murphy mean that he has just lost his way, or he has been losing his way for quite sometime?

As has been mentioned he appears to follow the team rules on field, does the hard work on the track, looks after his mates on the field - blocks for Griffen, pushes blokes off Griffen etc.

He has been my favourite player to watch since mid year 2011, hopefully 2013 he returns to be bigger and stronger from this.

G-Mo77
08-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Roughly translated - "I'm full of shit and if I don't fess up I will end up having to pay LD a lot of money"

Sounds about right doesn't it.

jeemak
08-08-2012, 08:43 PM
The more I thought about Murphy's comments the more I became concerned. Does Murphy mean that he has just lost his way, or he has been losing his way for quite sometime?

As has been mentioned he appears to follow the team rules on field, does the hard work on the track, looks after his mates on the field - blocks for Griffen, pushes blokes off Griffen etc.

He has been my favourite player to watch since mid year 2011, hopefully 2013 he returns to be bigger and stronger from this.

I read it as being in a dark place right now, post the weekend's issue.

azabob
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I read it as being in a dark place right now, post the weekend's issue.

It goes without saying, hopefully that is the case.

Sedat
10-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I want to congratulate BMac for his strong words of support for Libba in yesterday's presser. I was very critical of our club leaders for hanging Minno out to dry earlier this season but all and sundry have said the rights things and shown a strength of solidarity this time around.

Maddog37
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Agree Sedat. Bmac has been very good in the media in my opinion considering he was largely unsighted in his previous coaching roles.

Topdog
10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
also agree Sedat.