PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - 7 August 2012

bornadog
07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

The leaders, the players, the coaches of this football Club feel that the brand of footy we played in the first half against the Kangaroos, is the type of footy we want to play — we’ve been criticised heavily for not scoring enough and in that first half, we were scoring off the back of everyone working together, playing all areas of the game well.

What we’re most disappointed in is, you may have a lot of young people in your team at once and you get fatigued and you get people getting a bit lost and confused, but you’ve just got to keep fighting and scrapping and that fell away in the second half.

We had people on top of their opponents, that didn’t finish the job. If you’re on top, then that’s what you should keep doing – keep hammering home the advantage.

The best lessons are learned very early in your career, about how ruthless you’ve got to be and how hard you have to work — how competitive you have got to be. When your opponent starts to fight back, you just crack in a little bit harder.

Our key indicators stayed ok, but our tackling pressure dropped off again in the last quarter which opened the game up and they scored easily because our pressure and competitiveness fell away.

Our inexperience is just reality but it’s also the exciting thing for our football Club and we’ve said that all year. I still maintain that.

Coaching such a young team gives us an opportunity to mould the right players, the right people. We’ll do it our way, with reliable, dependable people, people who are accountable to their team — really strong minded people.

Sincerely,

Brendan

Curly5
08-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

The leaders, the players, the coaches of this football Club feel that the brand of footy we played in the first half against the Kangaroos, is the type of footy we want to play — we’ve been criticised heavily for not scoring enough and in that first half, we were scoring off the back of everyone working together, playing all areas of the game well.

What we’re most disappointed in is, you may have a lot of young people in your team at once and you get fatigued and you get people getting a bit lost and confused, but you’ve just got to keep fighting and scrapping and that fell away in the second half.

We had people on top of their opponents, that didn’t finish the job. If you’re on top, then that’s what you should keep doing – keep hammering home the advantage.

The best lessons are learned very early in your career, about how ruthless you’ve got to be and how hard you have to work — how competitive you have got to be. When your opponent starts to fight back, you just crack in a little bit harder.

Our key indicators stayed ok, but our tackling pressure dropped off again in the last quarter which opened the game up and they scored easily because our pressure and competitiveness fell away.

Our inexperience is just reality but it’s also the exciting thing for our football Club and we’ve said that all year. I still maintain that.

Coaching such a young team gives us an opportunity to mould the right players, the right people. We’ll do it our way, with reliable, dependable people, people who are accountable to their team — really strong minded people.

Sincerely,

Brendan

Tom notwithstanding. Would love to know Brendan's opinion of all this.

The Pie Man
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Tom notwithstanding. Would love to know Brendan's opinion of all this.

It's a bit strange we haven't heard from the coach in all this*

*before anyone thinks I'm Macca bashing - I think it's weird the club haven't held a press conference about it for at least SOMEONE to speak about it. Must be loving this under the radar irrelevance

LongWait
08-08-2012, 03:03 PM
It's a bit strange we haven't heard from the coach in all this*

*before anyone thinks I'm Macca bashing - I think it's weird the club haven't held a press conference about it for at least SOMEONE to speak about it. Must be loving this under the radar irrelevance

That's the whole point of not commenting isn't it? If the issue will stay under the radar to a large extent, why would the Coach or anyone else at the club want to talk about it more than they have to?

LostDoggy
08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
That's the whole point of not commenting isn't it? If the issue will stay under the radar to a large extent, why would the Coach or anyone else at the club want to talk about it more than they have to?

Precisely. If the media isn't bashing down the door, well and good.

I see these letters as purely a way for Macca to further emphasize the accountability and openness he wants the playing group and staff to exhibit.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Maybe he should have a guest writer one week? Bob Murphy? :)

Curly5
09-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Speaking of Bob, where is his usual Thursday column in the Age?

KT31
09-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Speaking of Bob, where is his usual Thursday column in the Age?

Might have left it in a dark place and can't find it.:D