PDA

View Full Version : Lin Jong upgraded to the Senior List

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane

Western Bulldogs have placed Daniel Cross on the long-term injury list and upgraded Lin Jong from the rookie list as his replacement.

Could be a chance this week!

More here:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/144081/default.aspx

Throughandthrough
09-08-2012, 03:47 PM
First ever Lin and/or Jong to play AFL?

And does this mean we have to keep him on next year as a full player or can we drop him back to rookie again?

Good luck to him (assuming he can play a bit!)

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
He can be dropped back next year.

The Pie Man
09-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm not the first - hopefully not the last.....

LINSANITY!

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm not the first - hopefully not the last.....

LINSANITY!

Let's hope he doesn't sign a backended contract elsewhere if he breaks out. :)

Some pretty good news after a very ordinary week.

bornadog
09-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Good luck to Lin, hopefully he will get a game before the season ends.

This is what German said about him last week:

He had an accountable role this week as a half back flanker and a wingman and did a very good job. He was really focused on the role he had to play and showed real power and speed. It was a real positive game after probably a month where he had been a little bit ill and had a couple of weeks rest so it was a good return.

Maddog37
09-08-2012, 04:44 PM
There is some light at the end of the tunnel. Good size at nearly six three in the old.

LostDoggy
09-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm puzzled by the upgrade.
To me he hasn't done no where near enough to warrant a promotion. Correct me but wasn't he playing Williamstown seconds last week.
We don't have heaps of money to do this willy nilly.
What about trying Roberts or Panos first?
Wait I forgot he cracks in.

Maddog37
09-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Seems like he is more on ball type than Roberts or Panos Chops.

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm puzzled by the upgrade.
To me he hasn't done no where near enough to warrant a promotion. Correct me but wasn't he playing Williamstown seconds last week.
We don't have heaps of money to do this willy nilly.
Wait I forgot he cracks in.

OK I know you're just having yet another shot at the MC but where do you suppose to play Roberts? I agree both deserve a chance but I just don't see any room for Roberts especially after Talia leapfrogged him last week. I'd love to get Panos in for one of the rucks but Campbell or Cordy will be selected there this week and don't forget Williams will be back and will probably play forward.

Libba's out, Cross is out, Cooney's not back and we need another on baller. No one at Willy, in this position, on our list is close and honestly don't think we have any left. Horses for courses selection and yeah he does have a crack in.

bornadog
09-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Libba's out, Cross is out, Cooney's not back and we need another on baller. No one at Willy, in this position, on our list is close and honestly don't think we have any left. Horses for courses selection and yeah he does have a crack in.

Hit the nail on the head.

LostDoggy
09-08-2012, 05:30 PM
OK I know you're just having yet another shot at the MC but where do you suppose to play Roberts? I agree both deserve a chance but I just don't see any room for Roberts especially after Talia leapfrogged him last week. I'd love to get Panos in for one of the rucks but Campbell or Cordy will be selected there this week and don't forget Williams will be back and will probably play forward.

We were playing 3 rucks and few runners when our season wasn't over, now that the balance doesn't matter, we need another player that cracks in?
What's the difference trying Panos, Hill or Roberts first?
Jong will just cost us more.
Yes we are developing but we obviously invested more in listed players, are we just going to give them the flick?
Also no farewell games or one last shot for the likes of Moles or Hooper?

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 05:33 PM
We were playing 3 rucks and few runners when our season wasn't over, now that the balance doesn't matter, we need another player that cracks in?

I'm not disagreeing with giving a forward a go but we need an onballer.

Honestly who cares who's selected. I'm happy to try anyone at this stage. This is just another boring hijack from yourself because you don't like the coach. Give it a rest bud. :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm not disagreeing with giving a forward a go but we need an onballer.

Honestly who cares who's selected. I'm happy to try anyone at this stage. This is just another boring hijack from yourself because you don't like the coach. Give it a rest bud. :rolleyes:

Bugger off please, Im not allowed to post a concern without you're approval now?

Mantis
09-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Roberts has been pulling up sore after games... I hear he would have played alreday if he wasn't feeling the pinch.

bornadog
09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Bugger off please, Im not allowed to post a concern without you're approval now?

Welcome to my world:D

SlimPickens
09-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Who's to say he is going to play this week anyway?

Austin and JJ were both elevated and didn't play in the first week available. Maybe they're (MC) dangling the carrot in front of Lin to see if he'll take it.

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 05:41 PM

A different theme once in a while would be a pleasant change.

Welcome to my world:D

Oh look, here is B2. I don't know what this has got to do with you anyway.

Maddog37
09-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Roberts has been pulling up sore after games... I hear he would have played alreday if he wasn't feeling the pinch.

He sounds like two year old racehorse!

What is he sore with Mantis?

Mofra
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Seems anyone with potential is getting a run - I'm happy to see him get a shot.

Hooper/Mulligan/Panos/Moles et al - clearly a line has been ruled through them

LostDoggy
09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
A different theme once in a while would be a pleasant change.
Practice what you preach

G-Mo77
09-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Practice what you preach

I'll have a crack in and see how I go. :)

Sockeye Salmon
09-08-2012, 06:13 PM

That makes me feel better knowing that. Roberts has definitely deserved a go otherwise.

LostDoggy
09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
My two cents......
Roberts is a lock already, shown enough in his first year that he'll make it, there is no race to debut him this season.

I cant see us maintaining Panos next year, Cordy and Jones have been sanctioned as the FF,CHF for the next 10 years, hence the amount of games we have put into them. They will not hit their straps until the 100 game mark as per the big Tom Hawkins. Grant will play as our thrid tall, Panos unfortuneately does not fit into that equation so there is really no point giving him a game.

Congrats to Jong, hope he plays a blinder.

Bulldog Revolution
09-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Good luck to Lin, hopefully he will get a game before the season ends.

This is what German said about him last week:

As much as he is raw, when I've seen him he definitely has some ability to work with

He is athletic courageous, good speed, agility and seems to have good awareness in traffic, sure like most of our guys he might make a few mistakes, but he's athletic and finds the footy

I can see why we rookied him and given our year we should give him a game to have a look and continue his development

Greystache
09-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Happy for Jong if he gets a run, I think he's a kids with huge upside. I'd expect him to be on the rookie list again next year so this is a good chance to give him a taste

That makes sense, I would've thought Roberts was ahead of Talia.

A bit of info, Roberts has put on 9kgs since he was drafted.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Good luck to the kid!
My wife is Taiwanese, she'll be stoked if he gets a guernsey. New cult hero on the way!

chef
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes we are developing but we obviously invested more in listed players, are we just going to give them the flick?
Also no farewell games or one last shot for the likes of Moles or Hooper?

Looks like it might happen too.

Eastdog
09-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Good luck to Lin Jong and hope he has a good career with us. Met him at the East Meets West Family Day and got his autograph which I think made his day.

Remi Moses
09-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Good choice with Libba and Cross out.
Panos must not be " cracking in"!:p
Unlike someone on here who's on it:rolleyes:

mighty_west
09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Haven't seen the kid play but good luck to him, would have also liked to have seen Roberts get a game, was really impressed with his work as a forward in the u/18 GF, ripped the game apart in the final quarter to win the Premiership for Sandy Dragons.

Sockeye Salmon
09-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Good luck to the kid, but to be honest, he's another one who can't kick.

jeemak
10-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Good luck to the fella.

Hopefully he gets a run at a couple of games before the season is out.

MrMahatma
10-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Our rookies in the past 5 yrs have been better selections than our first rounders.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Congratulations to Lin Yong and to the MC on his elevation which follows the successful debuts last week by JJ and Talia.There is some hope beginning to emerge for 2013.

The Underdog
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Congratulations to Lin Yong and to the MC on his elevation which follows the successful debuts last week by JJ and Talia.There is some hope beginning to emerge for 2013.

He might be the new Ryan Hargreavess:p

Bulldog4life
10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Good luck to Lin Jong and hope he has a good career with us. Met him at the East Meets West Family Day and got his autograph which I think made his day.

Hope Lin Jong gets a game. Love this quote.:)

Ghost Dog
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM

I have to agree with Chops here. I can't believe I just said that!
Has not shown enough from the games I have seen at Willy.

Ghost Dog
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
He might be the new Ryan Hargreavess:p

Griffin! Smorgan, etc etc

G-Mo77
10-08-2012, 01:33 PM

I don't entirely disagree either, I disagree with adding another tall instead of Jong, although Tommy didn't get up so I guess there is a case there.

He probably wouldn't be getting a game if one of Libba, Cooney or Cross were available.

whythelongface
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Form lines are generally good indicators whether or not someone will make it at AFL, however sometimes caution needs to be thrown out and opportunities need to be given based on potential.

I have no idea whether Jong has any potential, however I will entrust our coaching panel that they have seen enough in Jong to warrant his selection. From what I have read JJ also had not shown much at Willy when he came back from injury and look what he achieved last week.

stefoid
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Heres the sitch, people. This is how I see it and how I believe the club honchos see it, even though they would never say it out loud.

1) we have already endured the season from hell, and the only good to come out of it will be some kids getting match experience and of course those low draft picks that should enable us to add two possibly elite players to the list.
2) To jeopardise the draft position now with a couple of meaningless wins would be foolish - we have taken the pain we should get the gain.
3) We are playing crap and are frightful to watch - the only thing that could bring extra bums on seats and give the supporters a reason to smile is seeing the kids that will be our future playing their first games

In that light, upgrading Jong makes perfect sense, it ticks all boxes - decrease chance of a meaningless win to upset our draft picks, give the fans a reason for hope despite the loss, and give jong, JJ and cambell a sniff of the big time heading into the next preseason.

On that basis Fletch will get a game sometime in the next month, Im sure. And anyone like Panos, Hooper, Mulligan, Moles etc... who arent getting a game, well the writing is on the wall.

Mofra
10-08-2012, 02:37 PM
On that basis Fletch will get a game sometime in the next month, Im sure. And anyone like Panos, Hooper, Mulligan, Moles etc... who arent getting a game, well the writing is on the wall.
Hooper is playing

BulldogBelle
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
If Hoops gets selected in the 22 this afternoon, and he plays a blinder against the Tiges (3 - 5 crumbing goals, some good tackles and pressure) do we offer him another contract?

Ghost Dog
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Form lines are generally good indicators whether or not someone will make it at AFL, however sometimes caution needs to be thrown out and opportunities need to be given based on potential.

I have no idea whether Jong has any potential, however I will entrust our coaching panel that they have seen enough in Jong to warrant his selection. From what I have read JJ also had not shown much at Willy when he came back from injury and look what he achieved last week.

Whythelongface, I have read your post, like your work, and now agree with you.
The fact that playing anyone of real quality jeopardizing our draft pics did also not cross my mind! Play the kids!!

bornadog
10-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Hooper is playing

Is that confirmed?

Ghost Dog
10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
If Hoops gets selected in the 22 this afternoon, and he plays a blinder against the Tiges (3 - 5 crumbing goals, some good tackles and pressure) do we offer him another contract?

One decent game in the seniors for the entire year?? Stretch!!

Mantis
10-08-2012, 04:07 PM

We gave him a 2yr contract after a 5 touch, 0 tackle & 1 goal (from a dodgy free kick) game so if we are going on precedence he will be given a 5yr contract if he does what you suggest. :eek:

Eastdog
10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Ive said a number of times but I really hope Matthew Panos get a game before the season is out. Some posters say he could even be delisted.

jeemak
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM

No, though I think it should be enough for him to be given opportunities to play out the season.

If he maintains a high level through a good work rate and performs at a higher level than he's shown he can in the past then he might get another year.

Some folk around here would be unhappy, not saying I'd be too chuffed, but if he performs then he's deserved his spot.

Can't see it happening though.

Ghost Dog
10-08-2012, 05:06 PM
We gave him a 2yr contract after a 5 touch, 0 tackle & 1 goal (from a dodgy free kick) game so if we are going on precedence he will be given a 5yr contract if he does what you suggest. :eek:

And that goal had an auskick amount of velocity on it.

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Ive said a number of times but I really hope Matthew Panos get a game before the season is out. Some posters say he could even be delisted.

Actually, I said he should be delisted

Mantis
10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
No, though I think it should be enough for him to be given opportunities to play out the season.

If he maintains a high level through a good work rate and performs at a higher level than he's shown he can in the past then he might get another year.

Some folk around here would be unhappy, not saying I'd be too chuffed, but if he performs then he's deserved his spot.

Can't see it happening though.

The guy has had 2 years to prove his worth and trying to save his arse with hard work in what has become junk time is something that should be frowned upon.

Hasta Luego....

jeemak
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
The guy has had 2 years to prove his worth and trying to save his arse with hard work in what has become junk time is something that should be frowned upon.

Hasta Luego....

Hampered by OP over the course of the preseason.

Irrespective of that, I tend to agree with you.

Mantis
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Hampered by OP over the course of the preseason.

Irrespective of that, I tend to agree with you.

Yep.... Anyway hi-jacked this thread enough.

Good luck to Lin... 50 bonus pts for the poster who can come up with the best nick-name paying homage to the flog that was Kim Jong-il..... Yep, anything to draw attention away from how bad a season we are having.

Mofra
10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Ling Jong Ill?

Can't help but think of Team America. Me so ronery...

mighty_west
31-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Like many was a little suprised Jong got the call up, but pleasantly suprised with what he's shown in his few games, obviously needs to tidy up the kicking somewhat, but certainly goes in hard and puts his body on the line.

always right
31-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Like many was a little suprised Jong got the call up, but pleasantly suprised with what he's shown in his few games, obviously needs to tidy up the kicking somewhat, but certainly goes in hard and puts his body on the line.

From what I've seen he appears to have a great running capacity and ability to get where the ball is. That's not a bad start. He also has a pretty strong frame and leg size. He could end up a pretty powerful unit.

Needs to spend the entire pre-season on an intensive program to improve his kicking penetration.

F'scary
02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
The human is suitable for upgrading.