PDA

View Full Version : Round 20 Bankers & Anchors

westdog54
11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
This is the round 20 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bornadog
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Bankers

First 14 minutes of the third term - we showed some potential

Talia, JJ, Roberts, Jong, - 6 games in total between them, but look the goods

Anchors

Murphy and Boyd - We were 7 points down but between these two managed to turn over the ball in succession with shocking kicking, and concede 4 quick goals -away Richmond went.

DJ - tries hard but hasn't got it

Hooper - Too slow, needs to lose weight

Remi Moses
12-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Bankers- A couple of the kids
JJ Great dash
Talia ( needs to improve his kicking)
Jong ( good debut)
Roberts ( good debut)

Anchors- the decision making of experienced players like Murphy and Boyd!
Playing Lake forward - No point in a development season to play a 30 y/o forward.
Dennis Cometti - yeah we know Cotchin's a great young player, after hearing about it 30 times gets a bit stale.

always right
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Bankers- A couple of the kids
JJ Great dash
Talia ( needs to improve his kicking)
Jong ( good debut)
Roberts ( good debut)

Anchors- the decision making of experienced players like Murphy and Boyd!
Playing Lake forward - No point in a development season to play a 30 y/o forward.
Dennis Cometti - yeah we know Cotchin's a great young player, after hearing about it 30 times gets a bit stale.

Reality is he was streets ahead of everyone else on the ground. Quality player.

Bankers:
They hung in there longer than I thought. That was a seriously undermanned team we had out there today.
Another strong game from big Will against an in form ruckman.
Wallis looking good.
Boyd and Murphy.....sure they made some blues but they never stopped trying to create.

Anchors:
Sherman gave us nothing....again
Hooper....why?
Shaggy....the end has come quite quickly for him.....although I liked seeing him drop Jackson to his knees

Mofra
12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Bankers -

JJ - he is exactly what we need. Should set himself for best 22 next year
Wallis is a ball magnet and his kicking has improved, excellent today
Smith's attack on the football

Anchors -
Shaggy - one of my favourites, but he is sadly done
Skinner - just doesn't have the hands for AFL
Campbell as a forward. Minson is a no 1 ruck, so is Campbell. We can only play 1 at a time.

westbulldog
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Bankers
All of the newer players. Clay Smith, Brian Lake

Anchors
Sherman, Hooper, Skinner

Maddog37
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Thought it was the old Minson today. Clumsy, slow and ineffective. Looked a little disinterested but he was not on his own.

giaco
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
One player that's gone under the radar a bit, with all the youngster getting the attention, is Dickson. He's been one of our best and most consistent over this bad period. A really good find by the recruiters.

stefoid
12-08-2012, 09:14 PM
JJ destroyed Nahas.

Keeper.
Fletcher also a keeper.

Pickenitup
12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Dickson has been Outstanding this year will really blossom in the next couple of years.
Fletcher Roberts will be a player even in the quarter and a bit he played really showed something.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Dickson has been Outstanding this year will really blossom in the next couple of years.
Fletcher Roberts will be a player even in the quarter and a bit he played really showed something.

Two good points re Dickson and Fletcher Roberts. Roberts looked more assured than Talia who was ordinary today

AndrewP6
12-08-2012, 09:20 PM
B

Wallis - improving all the time.
To fit in with the "3 players" only criteria, I'll say " JJ TaliaJongRoberts" ;) These guys look like they'll be worth watching.

A

Murph - Love your work, but you're a mile off your game at the moment.
DJ - I like the guy, he gives it his all, if only "Fumbles" was a legitimate stat.
Zephy- again, I like him, but not sure he's going to be around long term

I would nominate Hooper for similar reasons, but it's not his fault he was selected :)

mjp
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM

20 game rule? Or in this case, 20 minute rule!

Maddog37
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I might be a bit slow but what is the 20 game rule?

stefoid
12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
20 game rule is any player that shows something and has played less than 20 games is a future star and cannot be criticised.

Be that as it may, I reckon he showed enough to identify as a future player - composure and intensity mainly.

Greystache
12-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Bankers

Wallis- Was more of a leader today than our leaders

Dickson- Looks our most dangerous player currently

Young kids- JJ, Roberts, Jong all showed a bit.

Anchors

Fringe players- Hooper, DJ, Grant all offered nothing

Senior players- In a team full of kids guys like Murphy, Boyd, and Hargrave were hardly leading the way

Sedat
12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Smith's attack on the football
Love his attack on the ball and the contest, but gee his complete butchering of the ball by foot is a massive concern. Another 7 clangers today and all of them were committed by foot under little pressure - still when your captain makes as many awful errors by foot under no pressure, it is hard to go a first-year player too hard.

JohnGentStand
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Bankers
JJ,Lake, thought Roughy got in the right spots for a novice backman

Anchors
Hooper, DJ, and Sherman - god I wish he could find the footy

Ghost Dog
13-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Murphy, Boyd, Sherman, Smith: Big steel anchors today. These guys coughed up the ball onto a shiny, silver platter.
Brian Lake, Picken: Battled on. Wallis = future captain.

We made Richmond look awesome out there today. Just gave them acres of space to run around
and pump their fists in, showing off their tatts and bogan haircuts. Jack Reiwoldt, pride before a fall you %#%#$ idiot.

Eastdog
13-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Gia's game today: Banker, Anchor or somewhere in between.

Desipura
13-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Thought it was the old Minson today. Clumsy, slow and ineffective. Looked a little disinterested but he was not on his own.

I would have to agree, that 50 metre penalty he gave away early that resulted in a goal started the rot. We need our more senior players to lead by example, he is not alone Boyd and Murphy turnovers.
Gia's body work was good at times but gee he really has lost the run. I can't see how he could go on next year.
Does Talia lack a yard of pace? Saw him running for the ball towards the boundary and looked like he was running on the spot.

Mofra
13-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Love his attack on the ball and the contest, but gee his complete butchering of the ball by foot is a massive concern. Another 7 clangers today and all of them were committed by foot under little pressure - still when your captain makes as many awful errors by foot under no pressure, it is hard to go a first-year player too hard.
He really needs players to feed the ball out to - Wallis and Libba both use the ball well, and with Griffen and potentially two draftees this year who develop into ball-using mids Smith could become quite the weapon.

I'm still holding onto the vague hope that Smith can improve his disposal a la Jobe Watson, although players at age 18/19 tend not to improve their disposal too much.

LostDoggy
13-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Anchors
Out of bounds on the sothern side and we interchange 3 players on the northern side. minus 3 and what happened a clearance and goal to tigers... Great work

LostDoggy
13-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Bankers

Smith - has a red hot go. Kicking is atrocious at this level
Dickson - works very hard whether up forward or in the middle

Other observations of those I watched more closely -

Lake - does not seem to pay enough respect to his opponents. There is a time for zoning and a time for man on man. He looked spent before the end of the game. Too many mistakes for a senior player.

Gia - still gets goals but looked sore or stuffed especially in the last quarter. He loses too many 1 on 1 contests where his opponent just got away from him and the ball was rebounded with ease

Minson - not enough kicks and handballs around the ground

Murphy - his kicking is not as elite as some make out

Wallis - has been great, but consistently fades out in the second half. A matter of fitness and workload he has to carry?

Special mentions to Jong who looks like he'll have a red hot go, but is still green re positioning

And to Skinner who moved around the forward line and looked as if he might provide an option, but can't mark overhead to save himself. He's so far shown he is not a body player and seems too rigid when trying to mark the ball. Hopefully marking and positioning can be taught because without it he becomes a liability in today's football. He did provide an option as a ruck man in the forward line, getting 4 tap outs. He seemed to have a reasonable reach and a bit of spring.

AndrewP6
13-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Bankers

Lake - does not seem to pay enough respect to his opponents. There is a time for zoning and a time for man on man. He looked spent before the end of the game. Too many mistakes for a senior player.
He copped a whack late, that might've been bothering him.

Murphy - his kicking is not as elite as some make out
I think it is, but he's been off for a while this year.

Wallis - has been great, but consistently fades out in the second half. A matter of fitness and workload he has to carry?

A matter of 'being 19' I think.

Special mentions to Jong who looks like he'll have a red hot go, but is still green re positioning

"Still" green? It was his first game!.

ratsmac
15-08-2012, 10:09 AM
BANKERS

Wallis - Going to love watching him blossom into an elite player over the next few years.

JJ - Seems a smart footballer who doesn't panic under pressure with plenty of dash.

Boyd- Yes made some silly frustrating annoying errors that a captain should never make, but in the scheme of things with the amount of inexperience in the team, he can hold his head up high for how he applies himself with selfless acts week in week out.

ANCHORS

Hooper - Looks fat and slow. Maybe he's just not a good fit in our team as a crumbing forward with the limited amount of quality ball coming into our forward fifty. I don't know, but I think its curtains for young Hoops.

Sherman - Lazy lazy lazy. I saw Gia sprint past him (yes Gia) from the back line to be an option up forward while he jogged with no real direction or know how of what to do. Delist.

Skinner - although he seemed to present for the ball OK, but his hands in the marking contest are weak. Somehow he looks better at this level than he does at VFL level though.