PDA

View Full Version : Who Would You Back?

W W Biscuit
13-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Just a thought...

Without delving into the statistics, yesterday's Doggies line-up would have to be the most raw and inexperienced in living memory. The more prudent supporters, I believe, are prepared to cut the team a fair amount of slack as McCartney experiments, tinkers and nurtures the next generation of Bulldogs. Some supporters, and indeed some commentators have not been so kind. Last week, Matthew Lloyd almost read our team its last rites on The Sunday Footy Show, whilst Cometti and Watson lamented during yesterday's commentary that the Dogs had no class and no stars in the making. But compare yesterday's team that took on Richmond with an alternative line-up that did not take the field due to injury or form. Assuming the fitness of all players, which team would you place your hard-earned on? Purely an academic exercise of course, but it is not often that a club's team of 'outs' would potentially outclass the team that it is actually able to field. A bit of a reality check really...and something that I hope the commentators keep in mind when signing our death warrant in the coming weeks. For mine, I would tip the Bulldogs B Side by 11 points...far more genuine midfield depth that would generate a heap more inside 50s and goal scoring opportunities. Plus they have Dahlhaus, my favourite player :) Thoughts?

BULLDOGS A

B: Johannisen Roughead Hargrave
HB: Talia Lake Murphy
C: Wallis Boyd Sherman
HF: Jong Dickson Giansiracusa
F: Addison Campbell Skinner
Ruck: Minson , Picken, Smith
Int: Grant, Hooper, Djerrkua, Roberts

BULLDOGS B

B: Wood Markovic Gilbee
HB: Pearce Austin Morris
C: Howard Cross Tutt
HF: Higgins Williams Dahlhaus
F: Cooney Jones Vezspremi
Ruck: Cordy, Griffen, Liberatore
Int: Moles, Hill, Panos Mulligan

Mofra
13-08-2012, 10:58 PM
You've got Boyd lining up on Cross, they might actually burst the ball :eek:

I'd pick B, simply on the assumption Cooney & Griffen are fit to play. A would have the advantage in rebounding out of the back half though.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-08-2012, 11:00 PM
An interesting thread which comes down to individual choice as to who should be in or out. Team B highlights how under manned we were against Richmond with potentially nine players short of our best team, which would include Griffen Cross Dahlhaus Cooney Morris Wood Williams Higgins and Liberatore.The next two games against quality opposition in the Sydney Swans and Geelong will be a good test for the many youngsters currently in the senior line up.

Redemption97
13-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Super hard to separate them. B's forward line looks good and A's back line looks good too... Midfield of B would have the edge I'd expect in terms of delivery... So I'd say B by a couple of goals.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Great post WWB - would actually love to see those 2 sides go at it as I'm having a lot of difficulty splitting them hypothetically. The B side has more genuine class and star quality, but it's hard to pick against the side that has Lake, Boyd, Minson and Picken.

It does highlight that we're missing a number of first choice players at the moment, and it does tend to suggest although the current list is poor, we have scope for improvement next year compared to this year if we can keep a fit/healthy list.

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Dale Morris would prevent team A from scoring on his own.

Cordy would get smashed in the ruck, but.

Ozza
14-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Terriffic thread mate.

Really gives a bit of perspective of how tough we are doing it at the moment - with injury, unavailability and players in their developing years.

Ghost Dog
14-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Mulligan's on the bench! Yay!

bornadog
14-08-2012, 10:15 AM

I'd pick B, simply on the assumption Cooney & Griffen are fit to play. A would have the advantage in rebounding out of the back half though.

ditto, a bit of class there with Cooney and Griffen.

W W Biscuit
16-08-2012, 08:02 AM

Yeah, it would get a bit ugly in the ruck. I'm thinking that Williams could pinch hit to help Cordy out a bit. Not ideal though.

LostDoggy
16-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I'll go against the mob and pick A by 3 points. Very well balanced selections across the 2 do kudos to you Mr Buscuit!

I think having Dickson and Addison in the forward line based on current form plus the better backline might give them the edge. I'm still a member of the Ayce Cordy fan club but Minson would smash this ruck contest 86:5

LostDoggy
16-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Nil all draw. One of our sides can't kick a goal, imagine two would be a snore-fest.

Dog54
16-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow great thread I think it also shows b Mac is not picking his best available 22 every week for development reasons. Obviously most are injured although some may have been rushed back in such as Markovic and wood. The question is why won't he play Panos or Hill ? Is it attitude ? Ability ?

LongWait
16-08-2012, 02:49 PM
The fact that we are even debating which team would win puts to rest the "results speak for themselves" rationale used by some to attack the coach. Safe to say that McCartney hasn't had many breaks go his way regarding personnel to select from.

westdog54
16-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Nil all draw. One of our sides can't kick a goal, imagine two would be a snore-fest.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Dale does balance out what is otherwise a pretty raw backline but I think Marko and Austin would perform ably if supported by Dale.

If you swap Cordy and Campbell it would make things pretty interesting as far as the ruck goes, I think Tom would hold his own well enough against Will.

Frightful match up. The kicking would be cringeworthy though.

Great thread, just goes to show just how badly we're struggling, between injuries and players being out of form. .

Mofra
16-08-2012, 05:17 PM
If you swap Cordy and Campbell it would make things pretty interesting as far as the ruck goes, I think Tom would hold his own well enough against Will.
Agree with this - Campbell seems a serviceable no 1 ruck, Cordy seems much better suited to the no 2 role.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 08:53 AM
B would win on speed alone.

ledge
19-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Do we need to question our fitness staff or whoever it is on why we have so many injuries?

Mofra
19-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Not everyone in side B is injured ledge - we fare better than some clubs, and I doubt any other club could turn Higgins & Williams into injury free players.

FFS nobody suggest we get The Weapon from the Bombers...

Mitcha
19-08-2012, 12:28 PM
FFS nobody suggest we get The Weapon from the Bombers...

Without doubt the most overated person in AFL footy today, made out to be some kind of superhero when in fact he is the major but not sole reason for all the soft tissue injuries at Essendon.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Draw