PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher Roberts

The Pie Man
14-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Strange, I couldn't find a 'Welcome Fletcher Roberts' style thread to bump, so I thought I'd start a new one (I did look)

Now he's played less than a half of senior football, in which a fair portion of the sting had eroded, but the way he moved reminded me of Michael Hurley from Essendon.

What are your thoughts? I know he's played defence for Willy this season with some success, and also played forward as a junior. Where's he best suited?

bornadog
14-08-2012, 11:26 AM
I would be grooming him to take over from Lake with Talia being groomed for CHB. Whether they make it time will tell. Roberts moved well for the half of footy he played and also had some confidence about him. He is also a better kick that Talia, so hopefully he plays again this week so we can see a little more of him.

Maddog37
14-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I would be grooming him to take over from Lake with Talia being groomed for CHB. Whether they make it time will tell. Roberts moved well for the half of footy he played and also had some confidence about him. He is also a better kick that Talia, so hopefully he plays again this week so we can see a little more of him.

You want your better kick at CHB per Reid from Pies. Talia is your Presti/Dale Morris clone that is more you last line stopper due to his skill limitations.

stefoid
14-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Id say the other way around - Talia at FB and Fletch further afield.

Fletch is the youngest player on our senior list!

Greystache
14-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I've been pumping up his tyres for a few months, so I won't get too involved on this one.

Strange, I couldn't find a 'Welcome Fletcher Roberts' style thread to bump, so I thought I'd start a new one (I did look)

Might be because he was drafted in the PSD and was lost among the traffic of the rookie draft on the same day.

That's the way I'd be approaching it too. Who knows if either of them will make it, but their skill sets suggest this is the best structure for them at the moment.

What are your thoughts? I know he's played defence for Willy this season with some success, and also played forward as a junior. Where's he best suited?

Defence is the best place for him at the moment. He's getting some good exposure to the way experienced forwards move and also has the benefit of the ball coming at him rather than trying to find it. He also gets more cheap kicks there which helps build his confidence in his kicking skills (which are pretty good).

In the long term he may eventually move forward. Judging by his body shape by the time he's in his early-to-mid 20's he could have a monster of a frame which may be better suited as a forward.

Mofra
14-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Very, very surprised at how good his disposal & positioning was.
Not many players run onto the ground as a sub and get 8 touches & a couple of spoils in limited gametime and use the ball well.

Jayden Schofield, I forgive you :p

LostDoggy
14-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I have a hunch that he will become a great key forward for us. I just liked the way he moved and I think his body shape will only get better. And he does have form as a forward.

bornadog
14-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Roberts impresses on debut (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/144404/default.aspx)

Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts knew of his impending AFL debut with less than 30 minutes to go before the bounce at the MCG against Richmond on Sunday - but it didn’t affect the 19-year-old producing an impressive first up effort.

Ryan Griffen’s late withdrawal with a back spasm in the warm up paved the way for Roberts, who didn’t have much time to think before he was handed the Red, White and Blue Guernsey for the first time.

“In the warm up, Griff [Ryan Griffen] didn’t come up so I had to do my warm up pretty quickly and do the last warm up with the team and go out and be the sub for the first two and a half quarters and then get my shot,” Roberts said.

“A lot of thoughts were going through my head but the boys definitely, particularly Boydy, looked after me… [he] said, you’ve earned your spot, make sure you do your best.”

Coming on mid-way through the third quarter, Fletcher looked poised in his debut game, finishing with eight possessions and three marks in just over 40 minutes of football.

The athletic defender said although he was pleased with his debut, he knew there was still a way to go before he considered himself a bona fide AFL player.

“I was pretty happy [with the way I played], I’ve still got a lot of improvement to go,” Roberts said

“You get a lot of help from the backline, including Roughy [Jordan Roughead], Brian Lake and Bobby Murphy, [they] give you a lot of communication, and really help you through.”

LostDoggy
14-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Will be a key forward later on thats for sure

Ghost Dog
14-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Very, very surprised at how good his disposal & positioning was.
Not many players run onto the ground as a sub and get 8 touches & a couple of spoils in limited gametime and use the ball well.

Jayden Schofield, I forgive you :p

What's he up to these days? Probably broke up with his gf already. :D

ledge
15-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I think he is playing in a WAFL team looking to get picked up in draft next year.

bornadog
23-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Roberts impresses on debut (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/144404/default.aspx)

Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts knew of his impending AFL debut with less than 30 minutes to go before the bounce at the MCG against Richmond on Sunday - but it didn’t affect the 19-year-old producing an impressive first up effort.

Ryan Griffen’s late withdrawal with a back spasm in the warm up paved the way for Roberts, who didn’t have much time to think before he was handed the Red, White and Blue Guernsey for the first time.

“In the warm up, Griff [Ryan Griffen] didn’t come up so I had to do my warm up pretty quickly and do the last warm up with the team and go out and be the sub for the first two and a half quarters and then get my shot,” Roberts said.

“A lot of thoughts were going through my head but the boys definitely, particularly Boydy, looked after me… [he] said, you’ve earned your spot, make sure you do your best.”

Coming on mid-way through the third quarter, Fletcher looked poised in his debut game, finishing with eight possessions and three marks in just over 40 minutes of football.

The athletic defender said although he was pleased with his debut, he knew there was still a way to go before he considered himself a bona fide AFL player.

“I was pretty happy [with the way I played], I’ve still got a lot of improvement to go,” Roberts said

“You get a lot of help from the backline, including Roughy [Jordan Roughead], Brian Lake and Bobby Murphy, [they] give you a lot of communication, and really help you through.”

Bump

Hope he comes in this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Bump

Hope he comes in this week.

Yep, I have been very eager to get him and Talia into the senior squad at the earliest point possible so hopefully that comes to fruition this week.

Will be interesting to see where he's played at the top level.

Mantis
23-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Will be interesting to see where he's played at the top level.

Could he fill the role that Markovic is playing...ie. Spare parts with the occassional run in the ruck.

bornadog
23-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Could he fill the role that Markovic is playing...ie. Spare parts with the occassional run in the ruck.

Played that role last week against Frankston.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Bewdy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Bewdy.

Information from colleagues who attended was that he looked the most likely to come in this week. BMcC is predicting three changes so you would expect Roberts to be one of those included.

The Pie Man
23-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Information from colleagues who attended was that he looked the most likely to come in this week. BMcC is predicting three changes so you would expect Roberts to be one of those included.

Probably wrong thread, but I hope not for Jones

Would be great to see him in though - how young is this side going to be on Saturday?!?

Cyberdoggie
23-05-2013, 05:30 PM

On the dogs website Markovic looks like he's still training with the forwards, doing some lead up work, so either he's keeping his spot or will play that role down at Willy as well.

Greystache
23-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Probably wrong thread, but I hope not for Jones

Would be great to see him in though - how young is this side going to be on Saturday?!?

I wouldn't think so but you never know. Jones is our leading goal kicker, our only go to forward, and would benefit from having another genuine key target in the forward line. Stringer could be more of a handful for a 3rd tall defender also.

w3design
23-05-2013, 06:11 PM

I am a big wrap for Fletch. R. And he was very good in the Willy match at F'ston.
He is just a natural footballer.

All that said though, he is still in need of more body/strength-to-height ratio for senior AFL.

Much as I am looking forward to watching him as a senior Dog, in all honesty I would be looking more for him getting another pre-season into him before taking on a regular senior berth.
If we still had a Lake and or Big Bad Barry to take the seasoned big bodied opposition on, and he only had to take a second or third option, I might be less hesitant.
That is not to say that I don't think he would give good account of himself if he came in now, but I am just not sure now is the best time/conditions for him or the team.

Barring injuries I certainly expect to see him play some senior games this season, I just hope no one is expecting that putting one more kid [ especially a tall] into an already unbalanced team experience wise, is going to make our performances any better.

For mine we are already putting too much expectation on inexperienced kids. Out of necessity no doubt though.

Maddog37
23-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I am more interested in getting games into our kids. I would personally not think we lose much from having Fletch in instead of Marko or Austin in any particular match.

Mantis
24-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Injured again?

Just noticed he wasn't in this weeks VFL team.

bornadog
24-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Injured again?

Maybe Willi playing games again. Lets hope its not an injury

Murphy'sLore
24-05-2013, 10:31 AM
As a side note, on Bulldogs TV This or That, Michael Talia nominated Markovic as 'coach's pet". Not quite sure what to make of that...

Mantis
24-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Maybe Willi playing games again. Lets hope its not an injury

He hasn't been named in the Development team.

The Pie Man
24-05-2013, 12:25 PM
We wouldn't risk a fine playing someone as a late change without being an emergency again would we?

G-Mo77
24-05-2013, 12:52 PM
We wouldn't risk a fine playing someone as a late change without being an emergency again would we?

Nope

LongWait
24-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Injured again?

Fletcher has a really heavy cold I'm told.

Cyberdoggie
24-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Fletcher has a really heavy cold I'm told.

Bad timing eh.

Only a good game away from selection you would think.

Greystache
24-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Bad timing eh.

Only a good game away from selection you would think.

Yep very disappointing. His ability to play at either end would also make his selection appealing.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2013, 03:19 PM
The good thing is being only 19 years old he has plenty of time on his side.

azabob
27-05-2013, 01:56 PM
A quick four min interview from bulldog TV.

Level head on his shoulders, seems a little more quiet and reserved than our other younger players, but still seems very confident in his own right.

Lets hope he can get to stage where he presses later in the year for games.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-05-24/swingman-fletch

comrade
04-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Time for a bump.

Fletch came in against Sydney and did his job manfully. I'd love to get a string of games into him and let him develop at AFL level.

He's agile and fairly neat with his disposal. I still think he needs to add some bulk to really hang with the big boys but he's still just 21.

He has a big role to play in our push up the ladder over the next few years. If he can get it to click, it frees up Roughy and allows him to become that mobile ruck man we're crying out for.

Webby
04-05-2015, 09:58 PM
In every pub discussion I've had since about August last year, I've banged on about the importance of Talia and Roberts taking a big step this year. Probably to the point of annoying my mates..

Obviously this season has so far delivered so much more than that (in fact, beyond my wildest dreams!), but still a big, big gauge for me is Roberts & Talia. I think Talia is ticking the box, so I'm keenly watching Fletch. If those two can finish off the season as established AFL defenders, we're in particularly good shape as a club.

LostDoggy
04-05-2015, 10:00 PM
It really played into our hands that Sydney had Reid out , allowed Bevo to give Roberts the job to cover Goodes and also swap with Roughead when he was required for the ruck/ tap outs . As has been pointed out its highly likely that Roberts was brought in over Hamling as he has played in tandem with Talia with Footscray , based on his performance on Saturday he has earned the right to stay in the side

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2015, 11:32 PM
It feels like Fletch has been around a long time, but given he's only 21 and battled some injuries, I've probably sold him a little short. He should be given a few years to develop yet.

I thought he was quite good v Sydney, made some great and important spoils and was competitive. The weather conditions make it easier to defend but had some really good moments. Definitely should stay in the side - gives us some nice flexibility.

1eyedog
05-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Was really impressed with Roberts on Saturday. He looked comfortable with his role and knew when to leave his man to help out Talia with Buddy. He did this a couple of times and reading the play and leaving your man as third man up is really the sign of a good 2nd / 3rd defender. He played the role I thought Hamling would play this year with aplomb and I liken him to a big Ryan Hargrave. I don't think he needs to get much bigger. I like his agility and size and he kicks the ball well. A asset worth persisting with.

lemmon
05-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Not to mention I can't recall a poor performance when called upon at AFL level, he's always seemed to come in and do a job. He doesn't stand out but just seems like an honest, dependable guy, it's not a bad trait to have in a key defender.

stefoid
06-05-2015, 02:52 PM
So could Roberts + Hamling coming into the backline free up Roughie to play ruck and/or forward?

1eyedog
06-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure if Roughie is a ruck but I guess it remains to be seen. Would like to see him at CHF if Roberts and Talia can bed down the key posts at the other end of the ground. Problem is Carlisle, Tippett, Daniher et al. are too big for Fletch or Tails so it can only work occasionally.

hujsh
06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if Roughie is a ruck but I guess it remains to be seen. Would like to see him at CHF if Roberts and Talia can bed down the key posts at the other end of the ground. Problem is Carlisle, Tippett, Daniher et al. are too big for Fletch or Tails so it can only work occasionally.

I'm sold on Roughy as either a ruck of KPD. He has shown plenty in defence and was drafted as a ruck (and looked good there). I'd hate to see him back in the forward line. It's where he's looked his worst and even when he gets the ball he wasn't a reliable shot.

Go_Dogs
09-05-2015, 11:14 PM
To be honest, I barely noticed Fletch tonight.

For those who paid more attentions than me, how did he go?

LostDoggy
09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Roberts was caught out of position more than a few times , he was a victim of the amount of supply from the Saints midfield

5 disposals 2 tackles

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2015, 03:52 AM
To be honest, I barely noticed Fletch tonight.

For those who paid more attentions than me, how did he go?

Very poor. He was led to the ball numerous times, fell over at important moments and fumbled. I'd have him replaced by Hamling, who is a far greater athlete.

F'scary
10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't single him out and agree with others that the amount of good ball the Saints had coming into their forward line, especially in the last quarter meant that our taller backs were exposed (like a lot of games last year). But he still has a long way to go - he looks like he needs to put on some bulk, he appears a bit fragile in marking contests where he doesn't get a good jump to the ball and doesn't impact with bumps, tackles and shepherds, so I don't think he could play on larger forwards that effectively yet. Whether he ever will remains to be seen and like some others we are going to have to play him some more where his VFL form warrants promotion and there is a role or a likely matchup and see what happens.

F'scary
10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Fletch is too tall to play a role like Morris does, he has to take FB or CHF against taller marking forwards or BP if we play a team with a very tall marking forward line.

1eyedog
10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Fletch is too tall to play a role like Morris does, he has to take FB or CHF against taller marking forwards or BP if we play a team with a very tall marking forward line.

Agreed - but he's a bit in between at the moment, similar to many of our players. He either needs to put on another 5 kg of muscle and further develop core strength in order to be able to compete with key forwards or if we want the option of height and mobility we try Hamling.

comrade
10-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Agreed - but he's a bit in between at the moment, similar to many of our players. He either needs to put on another 5 kg of muscle and further develop core strength in order to be able to compete with key forwards or if we want the option of height and mobility we try Hamling.

Fletch needs to bulk up and take on the gorillas. He has the height and frame to fill out, just needs to get there.

Hamling and Z Cordy are our third tall, Dale Morris replacements.

SlimPickens
10-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Who did Fletch play on yesterday?

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Who did Fletch play on yesterday?

Bruce I think.

SlimPickens
10-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Bruce I think.

Ok. So his direct opponent kicked one goal for the match. At this stage of Fletchers development it comes down to this for me. He must stop his opponent from kicking goals, and for the second week on a row this has been the case. Bruce has been one of the inform goal kickers in the competition so from that, I'd say he has gone well. The offensive stuff doesn't bother me at this stage.

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Ok. So his direct opponent kicked one goal for the match. At this stage of Fletchers development it comes down to this for me. He must stop his opponent from kicking goals, and for the second week on a row this has been the case. Bruce has been one of the inform goal kickers in the competition so from that, I'd say he has gone well. The offensive stuff doesn't bother me at this stage.

Bruce missed a few but yeah I don't think he had much influence. Hickey did more for them up forward who had Roughead on him but again he wasn't huge either. Their smalls hurt as more than their big forwards.

jazzadogs
10-05-2015, 12:31 PM
As much as Fletcher wasn't noticed, neither was Bruce. There was one occasion where Fletch misread the play and Bruce got an easy shot at goal. But to hold a guy averaging over three goals a game to just one, I think Fletcher won his position.

Ozza
10-05-2015, 11:07 PM
As much as Fletcher wasn't noticed, neither was Bruce. There was one occasion where Fletch misread the play and Bruce got an easy shot at goal. But to hold a guy averaging over three goals a game to just one, I think Fletcher won his position.

Agree with this. Posted in another thread to the same effect- but Bruce is in great form and is a top notch runner. Roughead would have struggled to go with him, so Roberts was the match up. Bruce would have been the target the saints went to the most inside 50. He took only 3 marks. Roberts did a reasonable job without starring - arguably out performed Roughead.

azabob
18-05-2015, 10:00 AM
So most agree Roberts has met expectations so far in 2015.

My question is what happens when Morris is ready to come back?
Roberts needs game time, as clearly he can play third and possibly second tall.

Do we bring Morris back through the seconds or straight in?

Does Roberts get dropped?

Or do we trial Roughead as number one ruck, Talia as number one defender, Roberts as number two and Morris as the 3rd tall?

G-Mo77
18-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Good problem to have aza.

The good thing about Roberts is that he's versatile, can play forward, can play back although I'd prefer to have him in defence. Maybe we could try Roughy as our pinch ruck/defender and have Roberts go forward/defence.

I had my doubts on him coming into this season but have been really pleased with what he has done since coming into the team.

Bulldog Joe
18-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I see his reading of the play and ability to mark or spoil as his key strength and feel that is better suited in the back half.

His problem is that he does appear to be critically slow.

Scorlibo
18-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Aside from that one errant kick-in, Roberts was super yesterday. Under a high ball he seems to have a very good read on both his opponent's positioning and the flight of the ball.

The last arrangement you suggested is pretty tempting azabob. Roughy as a damaging mobile ruckman capable of swinging behind the play, Talia and Roberts in key defence and the third tall spot occupied by Morris with perhaps Hamling and Z. Cordy given a run there towards the end of the year.

Maddog37
18-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I see Morris as a pocket/flank and Roberts as key position.

azabob
18-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I see Morris as a pocket/flank and Roberts as key position.

When Morris is fit, who does he replace?

Maddog37
18-05-2015, 02:24 PM
I would think it might mean Wood, JJ , Murph or Moyd gets freed up. Maybe means Ruff is full time ruckman and Ayce goes out.

lemmon
18-05-2015, 02:26 PM
I think it's time we transitioned towards Talia and Roberts as our key backs with Morris/Wood/Hamling taking the third type and Roughead becoming the number one ruck. It seems that at the moment Minson/Campbell are at one end of the spectrum in terms of ability to ruck v ability to influence around the ground while Cordy is too far the other way, Roughead offers a nice mix in terms of mobility, follow up work and being able to compete at the stoppages.

Roberts has done enough to suggest he could develop into a real stopping key back in the Lonergan and McDonald mould while Talia is winning a fair amount of the ball and Wood is using that terrific spring to get back and help out the 1v1's. Time to put some more faith in Fletch

boydogs
18-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I see his reading of the play and ability to mark or spoil as his key strength and feel that is better suited in the back half.

His problem is that he does appear to be critically slow.

If you're slow, doesn't that mean you're better off having the ball kicked to you, as opposed to having to keep up with your opponent when the ball is kicked in front of them?

Roberts was good yesterday but had trouble keeping up with Taberner in the first quarter

Bulldog Joe
18-05-2015, 02:32 PM
If you're slow, doesn't that mean you're better off having the ball kicked to you, as opposed to having to keep up with your opponent when the ball is kicked in front of them?

I think forwards can get away with being slower, but they really need to get to the right spots and it helps if they are strong in the contest.

As a backman, you are easily exposed by the leading types, but the ability to read the ball in the air is a big help.

Slow is also relative, because it is in comparison to who you play on.

Greystache
18-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Roberts was good yesterday but had trouble keeping up with Taberner in the first quarter

There's a number of ways to look at it. If you're slow as a forward then it means more often than not you're trying to mark in a contested situation because you can't get separation, and contested marks aren't a common enough occurence to base you're game around them. Being slow as a defender means you just have to rely on your fellow defenders cutting into space to cut of the leading forward, which they should be doing anyway.

Realistically it's going to be an issue at either end, but a smart player can look quicker than they are by reacting quicker. Roberts looks a smart player to me.

boydogs
18-05-2015, 06:15 PM
There's a number of ways to look at it. If you're slow as a forward then it means more often than not you're trying to mark in a contested situation because you can't get separation, and contested marks aren't a common enough occurence to base you're game around them. Being slow as a defender means you just have to rely on your fellow defenders cutting into space to cut of the leading forward, which they should be doing anyway.

Realistically it's going to be an issue at either end, but a smart player can look quicker than they are by reacting quicker. Roberts looks a smart player to me.

What do you think we should do. Should we make Roughead our ruckman and/or Roberts our CHF?

Greystache
18-05-2015, 06:17 PM
What do you think we should do. Should we make Roughead our ruckman and/or Roberts our CHF?

I've only ever like Roberts in defence. I think he looks good in defence and very average in attack. I think we play all 3 in defence and have Roughead help out in the ruck. That is of course assuming Roberts and Talia can hold their places.

boydogs
18-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I've only ever like Roberts in defence. I think he looks good in defence and very average in attack. I think we play all 3 in defence and have Roughead help out in the ruck. That is of course assuming Roberts and Talia can hold their places.

You don't think that makes us too slow? Some teams might expose that which makes finding another position for one of them necessary, not a matter of weakening our defense to strengthen other areas

I think we would look a lot better next week if Hamling came in for Cordy and Roughead became #1 ruck with Talia, Roberts & Hamling in defense

Doc26
18-05-2015, 11:48 PM

Different ends of their careers I realise, but is Fletcher (@196cm) that much slower than Michael Johnson (@195cm). Smart players can adapt and know where to position themselves. Not unlike Johnson, Fletcher for a key position player seems to read the game well for his years.

Mofra
19-05-2015, 12:01 PM
We can until Morris comes back at least - then we may have to make the call.
I just hope Sid can play out the year without injury - he hasn't managed that in his time on our list as yet.

Greystache
19-05-2015, 01:07 PM
We can until Morris comes back at least - then we may have to make the call.
I just hope Sid can play out the year without injury - he hasn't managed that in his time on our list as yet.

I'd play Morris on the opposition's most dangerous small forward while we try to draft/develop a replacement. I've always thought Morris plays better short than tall, we've just never really had the luxury of playing him there due to lack of key defenders.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I'd play Morris on the opposition's most dangerous small forward while we try to draft/develop a replacement. I've always thought Morris plays better short than tall, we've just never really had the luxury of playing him there due to lack of key defenders.

Agree with this. Morris should be seen as our best small defender now, it might even extend his career for another 2 years.

My concern is that Roughy, Talia and Roberts are all slow. They get led to the ball pretty regularly, even though all of them read the play well. The first 15 minutes v Freo really highlighted this, as did the second half v St. Kilda. Thinking longer term I am not sure this is going to be the best formula for us - we need a defender with some speed. Whether it's Hamling who replaces Roberts as the third tall, or a Frawley-esque FB to replace Roughy.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Agree with this. Morris should be seen as our best small defender now, it might even extend his career for another 2 years.

My concern is that Roughy, Talia and Roberts are all slow. They get led to the ball pretty regularly, even though all of them read the play well. The first 15 minutes v Freo really highlighted this, as did the second half v St. Kilda. Thinking longer term I am not sure this is going to be the best formula for us - we need a defender with some speed. Whether it's Hamling who replaces Roberts as the third tall, or a Frawley-esque FB to replace Roughy.

I think if we can have a side with Hamling, Wood and Webb down back, we have some speed and some players who can read the ball and zone off to help out. I think that will end up with Talia and Roberts playing key defence with Roughead capable of going back if required, and at a pinch, Cordy.

Roughead is seemingly our best first ruck going forward now, but we still haven't sen enough of him as yet. Hopefully we can over the coming weeks. We can then fix our attention back on who is our best second ruck/tall utility.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Different ends of their careers I realise, but is Fletcher (@196cm) that much slower than Michael Johnson (@195cm). Smart players can adapt and know where to position themselves. Not unlike Johnson, Fletcher for a key position player seems to read the game well for his years.

Roberts was originally drafted as a forward and once he adjusts to the tempo of senior football has the ability to play at both ends.
Roughead appeals as potentially our best ruck man, with the ability to mark strongly around the ground. This becomes attractive now with the emergence of both Fletcher Roberts and Hambling, to play as a tall defender. The move of Roughead also allows Tom Boyd to spend more time as a key forward where he is better suited than as a back up ruckman.

bornadog
19-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Roberts was originally drafted as a forward and once he adjusts to the tempo of senior football has the ability to play at both ends.
Roughead appeals as potentially our best ruck man, with the ability to mark strongly around the ground. This becomes attractive now with the emergence of both Fletcher Roberts and Hambling, to play as a tall defender. The move of Roughead also allows Tom Boyd to spend more time as a key forward where he is better suited than as a back up ruckman.

Hey NBP, the correct spelling of his name is Hamling. Just thought you may want to know. :)

LostDoggy
19-05-2015, 05:21 PM

Think we've already drafted Moz' replacement with Z Cordy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Hey NBP, the correct spelling of his name is Hamling. Just thought you may want to know. :)

Thanks BAD for the correction.

LostDoggy
19-05-2015, 08:43 PM
In a very short space of time Roberts and Talia have formed one the better defensive pairings in the AFL , a pairing they started with the Footscray VFL side .
Roberts is averaging 6.33 1% a game - Talia 6.29 1% a game
Talia 98.14% time on ground - Roberts 92.67% time on ground

comrade
19-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Just have to keep pumping games into him. He's versatile enough to find a match up each week.

The Demons might be the perfect chance for him to be the first or second banana (along with Talia) and push Roughy into the ruck and forward.

Rocco Jones
19-05-2015, 09:18 PM
If Roberts, Talia, Hamling and Z Cordy keep developing well, does that mean we should move Roughy to the ruck?

At the start of the year
Talia- was an ok VFL player
Roberts- injured and not showing much
Hamling- a guy who was nowhere near it and delisted
Z Cordy- Ayce's brother

I like the look of our fourth tall defender outside of Roughy way more than our like our ruck options. Only thing is, can we cope with Talia being the only gorilla defender type?

Rocco Jones
19-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Maybe it's own thread.

Mofra
20-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Think we've already drafted Moz' replacement with Z Cordy.
They seem like different players though - Morris far more lockdown, Zaine looks like he can use footskills to rebound.
If anything, closer to Mackie than Morris.
That's not a bad thing - a guy who can play tall and give a chop out to KPPs who can use the ball will be a useful member to our side once he develops.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Has only played 12 games but seems to be settling into the backline and gaining confidence each week. I thought he did well last week and didn't have many goals kicked against him.

lemmon
03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Boasts just about the cleanest hands above his head of all the big guys at the club also, some of those grabs were towering

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
He's developing pretty well, has definitely made some steps forward this year.

Reading the play well and going for his marks, which he's very capable of taking - has a long reach. When he anticipates and plays proactive footy, he looks like a very good defender because he knows where to position himself to impact the contest. On the contrary, when he plays reactive footy (ie. first 10 mins v Freo) he struggles because he doesn't have the pace/closing speed to defend.

He's quite composed and uses the ball well too. It's a long season but he's overtaken Talia already and will be hard to dislodge if his form remains.

1eyedog
03-06-2015, 06:27 PM
It's interesting that you say he's gone past Talia, given how much Talia has improved. I hadn't really considered that. He's a fantastic mark, something we haven't seen from Talia.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 06:32 PM
It's interesting that you say he's gone past Talia, given how much Talia has improved. I hadn't really considered that. He's a fantastic mark, something we haven't seen from Talia.

Don't agree, I think Talia's marking is great. He has averaged almost 6 a game.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Does Roberts development push Morris a step closer to retirement? I'm not saying he's at the gloves level, but I see Roberts closest to Morris in terms of defensive set up. Morris is getting injuries and we need to stagger retirements.

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Does Roberts development push Morris a step closer to retirement? I'm not saying he's at the gloves level, but I see Roberts closest to Morris in terms of defensive set up. Morris is getting injuries and we need to stagger retirements.

It's not like we will have a mass exodus of experienced players but I hear what you are saying. I'd simply wait until the end of the season before making the call. Morris, Boyd and Murphy are all good guys to have around the club and I think our younger guys would benefit more by having them around.

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Don't agree, I think Talia's marking is great. He has averaged almost 6 a game.

The stats especially for defenders can be misleading. The back man often get those lateral passes to switch the ball to the other side of the ground and often have no one near them. I think Roberts might be a better contested mark but not by much.

It's still his mobility I'd like to see improve.

F'scary
03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
The stats especially for defenders can be misleading. The back man often get those lateral passes to switch the ball to the other side of the ground and often have no one near them...

Absolutely correct. Hamling was playing a sweeping role and got a number of his possessions and marks in play switches. (Not saying he didn't play well, he did.)

bornadog
03-06-2015, 08:40 PM
I think Roberts might be a better contested mark but not by much. .

Talia has had 6 Contested Marks in 8 games and Roberts 4 in 4. Not much in it.

SonofScray
03-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Talia has had 6 Contested Marks in 8 games and Roberts 4 in 4. Not much in it.

Fletch seems to get his arms right up there and grab the real difficult ones in pack situations, think back to his game winning Mark and goal in the VFL final at Punt Rd. His MOTY nomination for last round was another good example. Kid has great hands up high.

Talia reminds me of Lake in one on one marking, just seems to be in the better position. Doesn't get bundled off the contest and protects the fall of he ball well.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2015, 01:53 AM
Absolutely correct. Hamling was playing a sweeping role and got a number of his possessions and marks in play switches. (Not saying he didn't play well, he did.)

Yeah everyone is lauding Easton wood and he is way down in our stats for a lot of games. Not what you get but what you do with what you get.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Back on to Fletch he certainly has got sticky fingers. Can see his marking improving further as he gains more experience.

comrade
04-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Great hands, and can read the play well. Loses his feet a little top easily but this should improve with experience and increased strength.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Getting better every week, really impressed with his progress.

LostDoggy
06-07-2015, 02:25 PM
He may have the mother of tests on Saturday.

Remi Moses
06-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Big test for Fletcher Saturday evening .
Hopefully Dixon gets on the turps the night before

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Getting better every week, really impressed with his progress.

Roberts has become an integral part of a now strong and sound defence, which has been a key factor in our successes to date. A big call by Bevo two weeks ago to play Fletcher on Nick Riewolt which is a strong indication of the faith being showed in him.
Expect Roberts to once again given a similar task on Dixon at the weekend.

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Looks like he's been down in the mens' department for years.

He's really flourished this year. The shoulder he had fixed at the end of the season last year might have been holding him back but he's done a really important job each week for the last few weeks and now he is starting to kick the ball more. He's quite a good kick too. He kicked that 60 metre goal after the siren for Footscray against Richmond in the last round. No pressure Fletch but the whole season hangs on this kick.

G-Mo77
08-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Bulldogs Online reporting that he has signed on for a further 2 years.

Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts is rumored to have re-signed on a two year deal.

The 22 Year Old has been in impressive form since returning to the Senior Side in the Round 5 upset of the Sydney Swans.

Originally taken with Pick 11 in the 2012 Pre Season Draft, Sid was a Key Forward before becoming a full time Key Defender under former coach Brendon McCartney.

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Sid?

Nickname?

G-Mo77
08-07-2015, 04:32 PM
No idea mate. :)

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 04:45 PM
No idea mate. :)

It's funny the things that catch your eye.

Mofra
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Sid?

Nickname?
His nickname for a while, after a Pixar movie character

lemmon
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
It's funny the things that catch your eye.

I think the boys see a likeness with Syd from Iceage

bornadog
08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Bulldogs Online reporting that he has signed on for a further 2 years.

Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts is rumored to have re-signed on a two year deal.

The 22 Year Old has been in impressive form since returning to the Senior Side in the Round 5 upset of the Sydney Swans.

Originally taken with Pick 11 in the 2012 Pre Season Draft, Sid was a Key Forward before becoming a full time Key Defender under former coach Brendon McCartney.

Great News

Maddog37
08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Sid?

Nickname?

Looks like Sid the sloth from ice age movie.

Greystache
08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Great news, hopefully it's true.

He's been excellent this season. He's a good size, smart, and for a key defender has excellent disposal. His only short coming is he's a little on the slow side, but it's not an issue as long as we have the right blend of players around him. His job on Riewoldt suggest his endurance if very good which is a nice attribute to add to our defensive key stocks.

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Great news, hopefully it's true.

He's been excellent this season. He's a good size, smart, and for a key defender has excellent disposal. His only short coming is he's a little on the slow side, but it's not an issue as long as we have the right blend of players around him. His job on Riewoldt suggest his endurance if very good which is a nice attribute to add to our defensive key stocks.

I thought his job on Nick Rievoldt was excellent. The Saints went through him a lot but every time Fletch was right there with him. A few times Riewoldt's class shone through but Roberts made him play at his absolute best in order to have any effect.

Mofra
08-07-2015, 06:29 PM
He's smart enough to cut the angles 9/10 so his pace issues are generally minimized. He does seem to hold a zone quite well which is a huge advantage

Maddog37
08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm looking forward to him getting confident enough to use his kicking skills as an offensive weapon. I really think he could have a very big influence on the team.

ratsmac
08-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Great news, I hope it's right.

boydogs
08-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Confirmed

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-defender-fletcher-roberts-resigns-with-club-until-end-of-2017-20150708-gi7zve.html

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Great news, has been a real find this year.

SonofScray
08-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Really solid form this season and very timely for him to ht his straps, we were desperate for either, or both of he and Talia to become regular features in the Seniors who can contribute to the backline and I think we are almost there. Fletcher has good hands, is a long kick, reads the play well and seems fairly solid in the contest against all types.

His mark and goal in the VFL final at Punt Rd suggests to me he is made of the right stuff.

Twodogs
09-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Really solid form this season and very timely for him to ht his straps, we were desperate for either, or both of he and Talia to become regular features in the Seniors who can contribute to the backline and I think we are almost there. Fletcher has good hands, is a long kick, reads the play well and seems fairly solid in the contest against all types.

His mark and goal in the VFL final at Punt Rd suggests to me he is made of the right stuff.

It was the last round. It leapfrogged us into second spot and a final at Whitten Oval.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Roberts is a pretty good kick. Against Carlton he took most of the kick ins and they were long to targets as well.

Mofra
09-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Roberts is a pretty good kick. Against Carlton he took most of the kick ins and they were long to targets as well.
He's a classic 1980s fullback type.
Tough one on one, kicks the ball a long way and not overly blessed with pace. If his shoulders hold up he'll play a lot of football for us.

Twodogs
09-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Tough one on one, kicks the ball a long way and not overly blessed with pace. If his shoulders hold up he'll play a lot of football for us.

Good call. That's exactly what he is.

Ozza
10-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Not a bad analogy. Just has height/endurance adjusted to today's standards.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2015, 04:25 PM
So I'm thinking, imagine Collins, Adams, Hamling, Cordy and Wood cement a spot longer term. We've got two monsters, two very athletic 3rd talk defenders plus Wood as the intercept king. We've got Bob & Boyd this year, but longer term JJ, Suckling, Biggs, Webb, Dale (and heaps more) as longer term running through the flanks.

Roughy is moving to the ruck. Do we look at Roberts as a tall forward? He's got better mobility and hands than Redpath and the ability to play the swing man role if needed. Has he got enough tricks to exploit the 4th or 5th best defender? Does he offer something different to Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson with small forwards and Roughy resting down forward?

LostDoggy
13-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Few topics to discuss in there BT. Here's how I see it:

With regard to the tall backs, it seems our structure basically requires 3 taller defenders, for these spots we've got 6 options; Roberts, Hamling, Morris, Cordy, Collins and Adams. The only no-brainer is Morris, which leaves the other 5 fighting for 2 spots, with not a lot between them. Roberts is still in the running for 1 of those spots (especially if the draftees struggle to acclimatise to AFL standards), but if the newbies hit the ground running, he may well struggle.

In a couple of years, I think Hamling is best placed to take the Morris role (tight checking deep defender who can closely guard a range of dangerous tall/mid forwards), leaving 4 to fight for 2 spots long-term.

Wood is a 4th tall, but his role is so distinct, I think he is a separate category all to himself.

CHF is a tricky proposition.

First query is; does Bevo want one? We pretty much didn't play with one last year. We had one deep tall (Boyd or Redpath) and 4 mobile forwards creating random havoc (Stringer, Crameri, Dickson and a small), with a 6th forward intermittently ceated by a mid pushing forward.

Is this Bevo's option A, or would he love a classic tall CHF if a suitable candidate was available?

Who knows, but if we do trial a CHF/2nd tall forward playing high, I can see possible candidates as being Redpath, Roberts, Adams or maybe even Roughead or a combination.

In short, there's a lot of options (thankfully), can't wait for the preseason to see what we want to trial.

GVGjr
13-12-2015, 05:58 PM
So I'm thinking, imagine Collins, Adams, Hamling, Cordy and Wood cement a spot longer term. We've got two monsters, two very athletic 3rd talk defenders plus Wood as the intercept king. We've got Bob & Boyd this year, but longer term JJ, Suckling, Biggs, Webb, Dale (and heaps more) as longer term running through the flanks.

Roughy is moving to the ruck. Do we look at Roberts as a tall forward? He's got better mobility and hands than Redpath and the ability to play the swing man role if needed. Has he got enough tricks to exploit the 4th or 5th best defender? Does he offer something different to Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Dickson with small forwards and Roughy resting down forward?

I was only thinking something similar the other day. Roberts mobility and fitness level isn't great for a defender and by his own admission he has a lot of work to do in that area. I think we could see him moved forward but I'm not sure if it will be next season or not.

F'scary
13-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Love the discussion, thanks BT. I'll take up the swingman issue. Roberts, I think, is still developing, shows some promise. Could be anything, could be a backup defender/forward playing in the VFL (still worth having on the list given you need about 4 options to cover the season), could be the number one choice for a key position.

Redpath has shown a lot more forward nous at this stage than Roberts has (or has had the opportunity to show) and I disagree that Roberts shows more mobility. I'd say he goes into the 2016 season streets ahead of Roberts as a potential CHF/2nd tall forward but he better grab his chances. One possibility (unpalatable) is that Boyd has a similar season to 2015, necessitating Redpath's presence as the first tall forward, leaving the options open for someone else to establish a case for a second tall forward.

On the other hand, with the Package and Crammers on the forward line, do you need a second tall (predominantly a marking) forward? 2015 says you don't unless its Wayne Carey's love child.

josie
13-12-2015, 08:40 PM
At Sat Xmas training session Fletcher, Hamling, Jong, Hrovat and one of new players, possibly Goetz, were practicing goal kicking from tough angles. Bevo making players adaptable. I reckon we will see players rotate forward & back. Think it has been mentioned elsewhere already - building up Redpath's endurance with lots of running laps then goal kicking. If he can nail more marks on the lead he will be a good player I think, same goes for T.Boyd. Fascinated if those two can play in same side, guessing yes only if Redpath becomes a mobile roaming forward, which I'm guessing is what they are aiming at.

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Love the discussion, thanks BT. I'll take up the swingman issue. Roberts, I think, is still developing, shows some promise. Could be anything, could be a backup defender/forward playing in the VFL (still worth having on the list given you need about 4 options to cover the season), could be the number one choice for a key position.

Redpath has shown a lot more forward nous at this stage than Roberts has (or has had the opportunity to show) and I disagree that Roberts shows more mobility. I'd say he goes into the 2016 season streets ahead of Roberts as a potential CHF/2nd tall forward but he better grab his chances. One possibility (unpalatable) is that Boyd has a similar season to 2015, necessitating Redpath's presence as the first tall forward, leaving the options open for someone else to establish a case for a second tall forward.

On the other hand, with the Package and Crammers on the forward line, do you need a second tall (predominantly a marking) forward? 2015 says you don't unless its Wayne Carey's love child.

When you think about it there must be a few out there. You could probably pick the kid who most looks look Wayne Carey with a late pick for the next few drafts and get lucky more often than not.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2015, 08:57 PM
When you think about it there must be a few out there. You could probably pick the kid who most looks look Wayne Carey with a late pick for the next few drafts and get lucky more often than not.

It's the kid who gropes and abuses women, takes drugs, assaults police, commits domestic violence, agrees to testify for gangland figures and never gets pulled up on any of it because he's talented. They're the ones.

F'scary
13-12-2015, 10:19 PM
It's the kid who gropes and abuses women, takes drugs, assaults police, commits domestic violence, agrees to testify for gangland figures and never gets pulled up on any of it because he's talented. They're the ones.

you know, I don't think your list is complete!

bulldogtragic
13-12-2015, 10:21 PM
you know, I don't think your list is complete!

Feel free to finish my post for me... Ruins a footy club, cheats on his former wife, roots his best mates wife...

F'scary
13-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Attempted murder?

GVGjr
13-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Back to Roberts, he really does need an injury free preseason to see if he can improve his running and his fitness. That long goal he kicked for Footscray to me is a reminder that he has some abilities up forward.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Back to Roberts, he really does need an injury free preseason to see if he can improve his running and his fitness. That long goal he kicked for Footscray to me is a reminder that he has some abilities up forward.

That image in my mind was the reason for the thread bump. I think he's got some natural talent to work with, at what end of the ground though? it's the million dollar question isn't it? If he gets really fit and stays really fit can he be a/the big story of 2016?

Twodogs
13-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Back to Roberts, he really does need an injury free preseason to see if he can improve his running and his fitness. That long goal he kicked for Footscray to me is a reminder that he has some abilities up forward

Every time someone mentions Fletch going forward that flashes through my mind. We know he can kick huge goals from a long way out and the game is never over if Robets has the ball.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Every time someone mentions Fletch going forward that flashes through my mind. We know he can kick huge goals from a long way out and the game is never over if Robets has the ball.

Come the moment, come the man. That was a legendary kick in the context of final siren in a final and the torp is launched a la Ted Whitten and Stevie Mac.

bornadog
14-12-2015, 12:14 AM

He said a couple of years ago he prefers playing forward. He may have changed is mind in the last few years.

SonofScray
14-12-2015, 12:58 PM

You do what he did in a PF or GF and they name a medal after you. I rate that moment up there with Monty's 06 Elim final for strong efforts in pressure cooker settings. We're a bit thin for winners in that space.

Really looking forward to Fletch cementing a spot this season and developing into a really sound, consistent performer for the team. He has very good hands, a good long kick and seems to manage the pack situations well. One one one with the ball at his feet needs a bit of work but if he reaches his potential an becomes the player we think he can be, look out!

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 01:07 PM
You do what he did in a PF or GF and they name a medal after you. I rate that moment up there with Monty's 06 Elim final for strong efforts in pressure cooker settings. We're a bit thin for winners in that space.

Really looking forward to Fletch cementing a spot this season and developing into a really sound, consistent performer for the team. He has very good hands, a good long kick and seems to manage the pack situations well. One one one with the ball at his feet needs a bit of work but if he reaches his potential an becomes the player we think he can be, look out!

I put it up there with Art Gregory kicking the winner from a boundary throw in in the 1913 GF or Roy Park's 4 goals in the last quarter of the 1920 GF.

Mantis
14-12-2015, 02:15 PM

An interesting year ahead for Fletch and the rest of the prospective key defenders.. Whilst Fletch probably ended the year as a lock for a starting 18 spot in our defence the recent acquistions mean that there should be some fierce competition for spots throughout 2016 and beyond.

As with you I see some really good attributes for the defensive coaches to work with, but I do have big concerns over his mobility and durability.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 01:28 PM
So where is Fletch at?

Morris & Adams are clearly the best two. Collins will be awesome when ready, Zaine is a talent and Hamling is around the mark too.

A bit like my question of Hrovat & Honetchurch, do we look at trailing him as a tall forward at Footscray? Or leave him to compete for a tall defenders spot?

bornadog
03-04-2016, 01:30 PM
So where is Fletch at?

Morris & Adams are clearly the best two. Collins will be awesome when ready, Zaine is a talent and Hamling is around the mark too.

A bit like my question of Hrovat & Honetchurch, do we look at trailing him as a tall forward at Footscray? Or leave him to compete for a tall defenders spot?

I asked him once where he prefers to play and he said forward. I think he needs to keep working on getting some form and he can get back into the team.

SonofScray
03-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Watched him closely at WO yesterday and given the competition for his role that has emerged, my belief in him is getting shaky. Not showing enough improvement in his strength, capacity to get to more contests and move the ball on well when he gets it. I wouldn't trust him over Adams, or even Collins in a key defensive post on form at the moment.

I want to see him do a few things:
Spoil more aggressively
Out mark his opponent more often
Get up the ground to defend that oppositions outlet kick up the boundary to their talls.

Not sure where it is all headed. Maybe a different role. Or we just sit tight, he has the tools and patches of form to warrant my previous belief and hopes for him as a player.

comrade
05-04-2016, 12:44 AM
So where is Fletch at?

Definitely worth a shot. I'd prefer Hamling and Collins do the brunt of the defensive work at Footscray, which leaves us at risk of being unbalanced down back if Roberts is also playing there.

I still feel we need a mobile tall who can lead up, especially given Crameri's situation.

Fletch needs to reinvent himself and having a crack up forward may be the way forward.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Watched him closely at WO yesterday and given the competition for his role that has emerged, my belief in him is getting shaky. Not showing enough improvement in his strength, capacity to get to more contests and move the ball on well when he gets it. I wouldn't trust him over Adams, or even Collins in a key defensive post on form at the moment.

I want to see him do a few things:
Spoil more aggressively
Out mark his opponent more often
Get up the ground to defend that oppositions outlet kick up the boundary to their talls.

Not sure where it is all headed. Maybe a different role. Or we just sit tight, he has the tools and patches of form to warrant my previous belief and hopes for him as a player.

I'd like to him get more aggressive in his attack on the ball. Really impact contests and marking duels. Bring the ball to ground and out in the open in the hands of the running defenders.

Or i wouldn't mind him getting a run up forward if there are no spots down back. He's a long accurate kick. Wasn't it him who went back after the siren at Punt rd against Richmond in the last round of 2014 and thumped a goal from a fair way outside 50 to win a game for Footscray and a final at Whitten oval?

jeemak
05-04-2016, 01:32 AM
One of the reasons Adams is so good right now is our team defence makes him able to be free in marking the high ball without it being clean ball they can take advantage of. He does it really well.

Roberts is pretty much the same age as Adams, and I'd suggest that what he shows at the secondary level isn't assisted by the team defence Adams is benefiting from presently.

It says to me if Fletcher receives his chance at senior level he won't have to be a one on one lock down defender and will be able to use some creativity. He just has to bide his time.

It's round two, we have no injuries in the defencive area. That's going to change at some stage this year, it's inevitable.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 01:49 AM
One of the reasons Adams is so good right now is our team defence makes him able to be free in marking the high ball without it being clean ball they can take advantage of. He does it really well.

Roberts is pretty much the same age as Adams, and I'd suggest that what he shows at the secondary level isn't assisted by the team defence Adams is benefiting from presently.

It says to me if Fletcher receives his chance at senior level he won't have to be a one on one lock down defender and will be able to use some creativity. He just has to bide his time.

It's round two, we have no injuries in the defencive area. That's going to change at some stage this year, it's inevitable.

I don't really understand this bit. Can you explain a bit more JM?

IMV Bevo's great strength as a coach is showing faith in players and identifying their key strengths. If Fletch goes to another club he will find a similar situation in areas he needs to improve on so if he can't make it with us, I'm not sure he will make it period. If he has something, Bevo will find it.

jeemak
05-04-2016, 02:03 AM
GD, Adams - on top of his natural ability - is benefiting from improvement within our team defence. He's not facing the same crap a guy like Fletcher Roberts had to deal with in our final at the G last year. For now.

Two rounds in, Adams is performing better than can be expected under very favourable circumstances. I couldn't be happier with how he's going.

I don't want Fletcher to leave, in fact, I want Hamling and him to keep pushing for senior selection and pushing hard. Adams, Morris and other defencive players will have some down moments or times they'll need a rest throughout the season and I want Hamling and Roberts to be ready to stand up when it's required of them.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
GD, Adams - on top of his natural ability - is benefiting from improvement within our team defence. He's not facing the same crap a guy like Fletcher Roberts had to deal with in our final at the G last year. For now.

Two rounds in, Adams is performing better than can be expected under very favourable circumstances. I couldn't be happier with how he's going.

I don't want Fletcher to leave, in fact, I want Hamling and him to keep pushing for senior selection and pushing hard. Adams, Morris and other defencive players will have some down moments or times they'll need a rest throughout the season and I want Hamling and Roberts to be ready to stand up when it's required of them.

Yep I get it. I just realized we have Collins to come in yet! Happy Days. If SD isn't getting a pay-rise he certainly should now.

Ozza
05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I think it is premature to be writing off Roberts, or suggesting he needs to reinvent himself.

Its all rosy down back so far 2 rounds in - but it only takes a bad loss, or an injury or two - for us to suddenly look like there is a hole or two down there.

Adams is 2 games in to his career, Collins is still a baby in AFL terms - and the other defenders are all different types to Roberts.

Roberts hasn't had a great deal of continuity in his career thus far, due to injuries. It would be good to see him string a lot of games together (at either level) this season, and further develop his game. I expect he will be needed in the seniors at some point, and some good form and continuity will mean he is ready.

hujsh
05-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Remember how great we thought Talia was early last year?

comrade
05-04-2016, 01:12 PM
I think it is premature to be writing off Roberts, or suggesting he needs to reinvent himself.

Its all rosy down back so far 2 rounds in - but it only takes a bad loss, or an injury or two - for us to suddenly look like there is a hole or two down there.

Adams is 2 games in to his career, Collins is still a baby in AFL terms - and the other defenders are all different types to Roberts.

Roberts hasn't had a great deal of continuity in his career thus far, due to injuries. It would be good to see him string a lot of games together (at either level) this season, and further develop his game. I expect he will be needed in the seniors at some point, and some good form and continuity will mean he is ready.

Good point.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-04-2016, 02:28 PM
I asked him once where he prefers to play and he said forward. I think he needs to keep working on getting some form and he can get back into the team.

Given the fact that we have both Hamling and Collins as back up defenders, it might be time to play Roberts as a forward, which is how he was originally recruited. Without Crameri and Dickson at the moment, we do look a little lean in attack and to have Fletcher who is a good overhead mark playing with confidence, it could well be the tonic needed.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Given the fact that we have both Hamling and Collins as back up defenders, it might be time to play Roberts as a forward, which is how he was originally recruited. Without Crameri and Dickson at the moment, we do look a little lean in attack and to have Fletcher who is a good overhead mark playing with confidence, it could well be the tonic needed.

What's his speed like? He marks well, but I've not seen him sprint. I went and watched him train a few years ago.Funny how much taller players seem in real life.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 02:45 PM
What's his speed like? He marks well, but I've not seen him sprint. I went and watched him train a few years ago.Funny how much taller players seem in real life.

Slowish. I reckon he's in trouble. If Adams keeps up and Hamling is next of the rank then he may be surplus, especially if Collins makes any kind of impact next year. Don't mind trying him forward. He has more chance getting a game up forward.

Cyberdoggie
05-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Fletch is very slow, has the turning circle of a 777 and isn't a strong body player. Relies on his good vision and reading of the play/flight of the ball.

I think he still has value, may yet still develop further, maybe as a forward but I worry that he'll plateau and be a bit of an Everitt type that has the odd ok game but isn't quite good enough.

bornadog
09-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Quiet a few woofers were not impressed by Roberts on the weekend as well as last week against North.

A couple of issues I picked up were his positioning when playing one on one. He tried to play in front of Josh Jenkins, but Jenkins was just too tall for him. He also tried to outmark his opponents when he should have just gone for the spoil through fisting the ball away. He seems to also lack strength in the contest and has no leap.

Personally, he really doesn't look the answer in defence, but right now we don't have much choice.

How can Roberts improve himself next week?

bulldogtragic
09-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Quiet a few woofers were not impressed by Roberts on the weekend as well as last week against North.

A couple of issues I picked up were his positioning when playing one on one. He tried to play in front of Josh Jenkins, but Jenkins was just too tall for him. He also tried to outmark his opponents when he should have just gone for the spoil through fisting the ball away. He seems to also lack strength in the contest and has no leap.

Personally, he really doesn't look the answer in defence, but right now we don't have much choice.

Put in a good game in VFL.

Cordy, Hamling & Collins all offer more if Saturday night is anything to go by. Maybe even Minson could've done better.

soupman
10-05-2016, 12:29 AM

I thought this happened a few times. Roberts would actually be in best position for the marking contest (ie. in front), and went for the mark instead of spoiling. Fair enough considering Beveridge is big on defenders backing themselves in and Roberts has proven to be a capable intercept mark at AFL level, but in this case Jenkins could take advantage with his extra height and strong hands.

One issue Roberts has faced fairly frequently for mine has been his lack of intensity in marking contests. He is often shoved aside, beaten to the fall of the ball or just nudged out of it as if he isn't expecting contact. The Walker play on the wing in the EF is a good example of Roberts being easily removed from the contest (although I didn't actually think he played that one that badly Walker just did it perfectly). He doesn't have the immovability of someone like Morris, who is almost never out of a marking contest for any reason.

I think he's shown a fair bit in his career to date but his last two games have been underwhelming to say the least. With Adams out he might just hold onto his spot this week but he'd want to start impressing because there are alot of guys who look capable of going past him in Collins, Hamling and Cordy.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-05-2016, 09:31 AM
He doesn't get very far off the ground needs a bit of a leap

Axe Man
10-05-2016, 10:44 AM
He tried to play in front of Josh Jenkins, but Jenkins was just too tall for him.

There is only 3cm difference in their heights, I don't think it's a valid excuse.

Roberts is fortunate that Tex appeared to have swapped his hands with Will Minson's hands of stone on Saturday night, otherwise he would have taken many more marks on Fletcher.

Unfortunately I feel he is depth at best. Adams and Hamling are ahead of him and I think as soon as Collins gets a couple of games at senior level he will show himself to be a better option than Roberts down back as well.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
There is only 3cm difference in their heights, I don't think it's a valid excuse.

I think combined with a better leap than Roberts, he looked too big for him. Roberts can't get 3cm off the ground.

Axe Man
10-05-2016, 11:25 AM
I think combined with a better leap than Roberts, he looked too big for him. Roberts can't get 3cm off the ground.

Agreed, and that's one of his key shortcomings. His athleticism is poor, combined with a lack of strength and intensity in the contest. He has decent hands and disposal but it's not enough.

SlimPickens
10-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Some harsh critiques on Roberts IMO. For a guy who has played 20 odd games with a mix of good, serviceable and bad. I think it is to be expected that he will have the odd off week. Using Saturday as an example I thought when matched up against Tex he did ok in the one on ones squaring the majority and only being out marked once or twice. The one against Jenkins in the goal square, any big forward worth their salt would have marked that.

Fletch was our best performed defender at VFL for 2-3 weeks before he was selected and deserved his go. Also please don't forget the kid is yet to have a full preseason, had a hip operation and shoulder operation in October so is coming from a fair way back. You don get handed games in this team, he deserved games of Cordy, Dad and Hamling. Simple.

always right
10-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Saturday night was a turning point for me. Up until then I had hoped Roberts would improve as he gained more continuity but I was pretty much dismayed with his performance.

He's an honest toiler at best but can really only be matched up against tall forwards who are not quick and not big bodied. He simply can't hold in his position and make a strong enough contest against the genuine key forwards. His lack of intensity and awareness is also a concern, illustrated by the previous week when he was mowed down by Petrie as he dawdled out of defence.

I can see him doing a job on players like Daniher, Ben Brown, Josh Bruce.....but Walker, Jenkins, Hawkins and Cameron will monster him. Prefer others I'm afraid.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2016, 10:51 AM
I must admit, I was visiting relatives and only half watching the game. But I saw Fletch spoil a few contests and do some good work down back. What is your take on where he is at right now?
I feel he has improved and in a rotating back six, has done well under fire. I think he is pretty reliable in a tough position, but has lots of improvement to make. I would hate for him to become a whipping boy, as it's one of the toughest gigs in the game.

hujsh
23-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Does some good things and does some bad things. I think he gets judged harsher for the bad things than say Adams (helps that he's not on the field shanking short kicks or missing handballs right now)

Webby
23-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Roberts has only just turned 23 and is still on the young side for a defender. He is still 3 years away from reaching his peak years. He'll never be a star, but he'll be a solid second defender for us. Problem is that, with Adams and Morris down and Roughie going into the ruck this year, he's being asked (as a second defender who is not yet at his peak) to take the number 1 opposition forwards.

The fact that he's coping reasonably well is a tick for him. They can't all be stars and we need solid contributors. I'm seeing some growth there, so I think we should get off his back and let him continue to develop. He'll be okay. We just need to check our expectations a bit.

MrMahatma
23-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Imagine if we didn't have him?

1eyedog
23-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Roberts has only just turned 23 and is still on the young side for a defender. He is still 3 years away from reaching his peak years. He'll never be a star, but he'll be a solid second defender for us. Problem is that, with Adams and Morris down and Roughie going into the ruck this year, he's being asked (as a second defender who is not yet at his peak) to take the number 1 opposition forwards.

The fact that he's coping reasonably well is a tick for him. They can't all be stars and we need solid contributors. I'm seeing some growth there, so I think we should get off his back and let him continue to develop. He'll be okay. We just need to check our expectations a bit.

Problem is as a second defender he should be taking second forwards who would be way too mobile for him. He's caught in the middle with regards to pace and strength and thus gets out bodied against the big blokes and out run by the second forwards.

I'd rather bring Campbell in now and play Roughie as our key back and Hamling as our 2nd back. Roughie's no world beater but he is way ahead of Robrrts. And I don't think we lose anything in the ruck by pulling him out of there.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Problem is as a second defender he should be taking second forwards who would be way too mobile for him. He's caught in the middle with regards to pace and strength and thus gets out bodied against the big blokes and out run by the second forwards.

I'd rather bring Campbell in now and play Roughie as our key back and Hamling as our 2nd back. Roughie's no world beater but he is way ahead of Robrrts. And I don't think we lose anything in the ruck by pulling him out of there.

Roberts is slightly better at ground level I think.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Roberts seems to do ok when he is on the move and then spoils well, but he is a liability when caught under the ball in a one on one as he just doesn't have the strength (or technique) to hold his ground.

1eyedog
23-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Roberts is slightly better at ground level I think.

They're both very ordinary. The way Darcy Moore pushed Roberts out of the way while he was fumbling a ground ball was embarrassing.

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 02:41 PM
He's improved each year and if he continues to eliminate errors from his game I think he is earning his spot. He has to work on his over head game but even if he can just get the ball to ground he's a bit more agile than most forwards at ground level.

I'd like to see Fletch play forward a bit before I made a call on him. I can remember him playing some good footy in attack for Footscray. He kicked that big goal at Punt rd in 2014. Just about the clutch goal of all time.

Remi Moses
23-08-2016, 02:45 PM

I agree, he's been pretty solid . Probably a second key back to be honest .
Hasn't played a lot of footy also, and Darcy Moore is going to make plenty of defenders look silly .

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-08-2016, 03:39 PM

Roughy like Roberts also struggled against quicker forwards and has done better as a ruck man in spite of being disappointing in the past two games. I still prefer to go with the Campbell/ Roughead ruck combination. Roberts needs to get a bit quicker. His extra height is an advantage. Might still be better as a key forward having originally been recruited as a forward.

soupman
23-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I think he's acquitted himself quite well and despite the opinion of many here and elsewhere has deserved his spot.

He is still slightly undersized against the guys he plays against but for the most part manages to halve contests and effect a spoil. I do remember in previous years he took more marks in defence so I'd like to see him do that more, although maybe the emphasis has changed for him with so many other capable intercept marks in defence now (Wood, Boyd, Adams etc.).

He's certainly a handy player to have on the list who can provide cover and step up if needed, yet still be on a pretty small contract as essentially a depth player.

always right
23-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Saturday night was a turning point for me. Up until then I had hoped Roberts would improve as he gained more continuity but I was pretty much dismayed with his performance.

He's an honest toiler at best but can really only be matched up against tall forwards who are not quick and not big bodied. He simply can't hold in his position and make a strong enough contest against the genuine key forwards. His lack of intensity and awareness is also a concern, illustrated by the previous week when he was mowed down by Petrie as he dawdled out of defence.

I can see him doing a job on players like Daniher, Ben Brown, Josh Bruce.....but Walker, Jenkins, Hawkins and Cameron will monster him. Prefer others I'm afraid.
I posted this back in May and whilst my view hasn't changed significantly, I concede his form has been much better over the last couple of months. His second half against Daniher was much better than his first half but he's honest....nothing more. I've been more impressed with Hamling who has been pretty good the last couple of weeks after enduring an ordinary season thus far.

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Yeah Hamling has come from nowhere almost. He was playing mediocre footy at Footscray only a month ago.

Webby
23-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Just reflecting on it and Roberts reminds me quite a bit of Matthew Croft as a footballer. Croft was never a star, but played his best footy from 25-30.

Roberts is also two inches taller than Crofty, yet half a stone lighter. He'll naturally gain some bulk and some tricks. Like Croft, I think he'll develop into a very solid role player for us. Lower the bar and accept that and I think we'll grow to appreciate the guy.

boydogs
23-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Roughead is much better than Roberts in a marking contest, but Roughead gets really lost down there and gives away too many uncontested marks. Roberts plays the position well but is lacking in physical attributes

LostDoggy
23-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Just reflecting on it and Roberts reminds me quite a bit of Matthew Croft as a footballer. Croft was never a star, but played his best footy from 25-30.

Roberts is also two inches taller than Crofty, yet half a stone lighter. He'll naturally gain some bulk and some tricks. Like Croft, I think he'll develop into a very solid role player for us. Lower the bar and accept that and I think we'll grow to appreciate the guy.

That's underselling Crofty. He was a real talent who could go forward and kick goals and go toe to toe with great players.

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Croft was a bit quicker than Fletch but I can see him developing into a player like Crofty.

Hard to imagine Fletch winning a marking contest against Wayne Carey though.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Crofty was a gun player, just not flashy and I've repeatedly said he's one of my players I thought chronically underrated at our club. Croft got the hardest job each week and did it bloody well, I still recall numerous times he well and truly beat Wayne Carey at his absolute peak.

Roberts shouldn't be compared because I think it's a standard he will never rise to. He may or may not have a long career, but he won't be as good as Crofty ever was.

The Doctor
23-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Croft was a fantastic player.

He sacrificed his own game for the good of our club. I maintain he would have been a dynamic Centre Half Forward had he not been required at Full Back for most of his career

Ghost Dog
23-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Crofty was a gun player, just not flashy and I've repeatedly said he's one of my players I thought chronically underrated at our club. Croft got the hardest job each week and did it bloody well, I still recall numerous times he well and truly beat Wayne Carey at his absolute peak.

Roberts shouldn't be compared because I think it's a standard he will never rise to. He may or may not have a long career, but he won't be as good as Crofty ever was.

People said that about Dickson, Picken, Redpath, others. I don't want to put a ceiling on any of our blokes.

Webby
23-08-2016, 11:20 PM
I hear what I'm being told about Croft being a very good player for us. I agree. Although I feel it important to point out that, at Roberts' current age, Crofty wasn't yet an established senior player. This is the point. Crofty's best senior footy was played from 25-30 and he played a LOT of seconds footy up to that point.

I'd bet London to a brick that the 27 year old Fletcher Roberts would destroy the 23 year old Fletcher Roberts in a marking contest. He is not yet the finished article - nor was Croft at 23 years of age. Come to think of it, Peter Foster (who was a jet!) also didn't do much to raise any eyebrows prior to his mid 20's. He played a stack of seconds footy and was traded to us for nothing from Fitzroy. Yet his years from 25 to 31 years of age were absolutely outstanding.

Yet if you wound back the clock and spruiked a 23 year old Croft or Foster as anything other than reasonable battlers, you'd have been laughed at. Particularly if those laughing at you were comparing them to decent past players' complete careers.

Just like Croft and Foster, Roberts will need time. Key AFL forwards are either freak physical specimens, freakishly talented, or both! Minding them is no picnic! Particularly if you're not quite ready yet and are being asked to take a role you're not quite yet ready for.

Even more so if the heavy lifting early in your career has led you to suffering injuries and surgeries. Surgeries that limit your off-season ability to develop physically. Once Roberts' shoulders are okay and he can get some decent gym time over a pre season, he'll improve immensely. Something which reminds me of Peter Foster's transition from battler to gun. These guys need time.

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Fossie. What a player.

jeemak
23-08-2016, 11:44 PM
Croft was a fantastic player.

He sacrificed his own game for the good of our club. I maintain he would have been a dynamic Centre Half Forward had he not been required at Full Back for most of his career

I remember within the early stages of Croft's career seeing him in a preseason game playing CHF springing around the place like a genuine athlete. It seemed every year henceforth the wrapping around his thighs and hamstrings got thicker and thicker.

He was a sublimely skilled player in a way closer to Chris Grant than Fletcher Roberts.

Speaking of Roberts on his own merits, we judge him very harshly. His effort against Moore when he was weak over the ball was the obvious standout poor performance these past few rounds, but overall he's been solid at the least.

He is a skilled player, he is a growing player, and he's a relatively unsupported tall player playing THE key defensive role on the best forwards each week.

He's going to get goals kicked against him easily when our defence breaks down as it will from time to time under these circumstances. What he needs to stamp out are the instances in which his action or inaction contributes directly to those goals which it has from time to time, but I expect him to close the gap between his good and bad as time progresses.

1eyedog
24-08-2016, 11:16 AM
That's underselling Crofty. He was a real talent who could go forward and kick goals and go toe to toe with great players.

Agreed. He was good at ground level as well and he was smart. I just can't see Fletch getting anywhere near Croft on a number of levels. Anyway, I also agree that I am being impatient re. Fletch and that he does need more time.

Mofra
24-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Yet if you wound back the clock and spruiked a 23 year old Croft or Foster as anything other than reasonable battlers, you'd have been laughed at. Particularly if those laughing at you were comparing them to decent past players' complete careers.
Crofty was a pretty highly rated junior who had a lot of injury troubles though, it certainly wasn't talent or ability that held him back. Had 25 touches in his second game as a wingman.

bornadog
24-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Roberts ready to roll (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-02-23/roberts-ready-to-roll)

Fletcher Roberts is excited about 2017.

By his own admission, consistency and continuity have eluded him in the run-up to recent seasons, but having not missed a beat this pre-season and fresh off a solid opening JLT Series hitout, Roberts is optimistic about what the new year might bring.

“I found [Saturday] really good, he told westernbulldogs.com.au after training on Thursday.

“I’ve been able to get the full pre-season in this year, not like other years when I’ve had a few injuries, so that’s really positive and I was able to take that into the game.

“I was running around out there pretty well which is exciting to me on a personal level.”

Roberts and his fellow backs ‘weathered a storm’ during the Demons six-point win as coach Luke Beveridge put it, and Roberts was a shining light, winning his share of battles with Melbourne’s forwards and setting up regular drives off of half back, leading the team in rebound 50s.

“It’s a big growth area for me, being able to get the ball in my hands and use the ball, he said.

“I really need to grow that side of my game and I have been working on it this preseason. With a few kick out duties on the weekend, I was able to get the ball into my hand and rebound for us.”

As he often did last season, Roberts was again at the top of the stats sheet for one percenters, with only Marcus Adams ahead on the weekend, a player Roberts has high hopes for.

“Marcus is obviously a very good player and played a lot of very good games last year, he said.

“He’s back into the full swing of things now and is growing every week. He’s going to be a strong performing player this year.”

As for Roberts himself, he just wants to play football – whether that is in one or more of the remaining JLT Series games.

“[It’ll] depend on who’s available to be selected - we’re going to give everyone a fair crack if they’re ready to go.

“Hopefully it’s two, I can play and be ready for the start of the season and hopefully get a game in Round 1.”

The Bulldogs next take on Brisbane at Etihad Stadium on Thursday, March 2.