PDA

View Full Version : No early spell for Cooney

bornadog
14-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144552/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_TR100712LC142-1.jpg

ADAM COONEY is determined to make a late-season return for the Western Bulldogs to prove to himself that he can manage his ongoing knee problem.

On the surface, such haste appears illogical, given there are just three rounds left, the 15th-placed Bulldogs are well out of finals contention and Cooney is suffering a degenerative knee injury, which has sidelined him for the past six games.

But Cooney wants to make it back on to the field before season's end for his own "peace of mind", rather than be put out to pasture and look towards an uncertain 2013.

Dogs coach Brendan McCartney said last week that Cooney would possibly be ready for the clash with the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

It will be the Dogs' last home game of the season and an appearance by the Brownlow medallist would certainly inject more excitement into the occasion for Dogs fans, who have suffered through eight successive defeats by an average of 59 points.

Dogs assistant coach Steven King admitted the club had considered resting Cooney for the remaining games, but revealed that it had been the star himself who was pushing hardest for a return.

"I think Adam himself just wanted to get to the stage where he knew, going into next year, he's set himself up to even continue a solid leg-weight program and rehab program during the break," King said on Tuesday.

"I think it's just for his own peace of mind, just to get back to that level. Whether he plays or not, just to know, 'Yep, I'm back in full training, I'm ready to go, and this is where I've got to go to move forward'."

King was unsure if Cooney will play this week, but suggested he could come into calculations.

"I think he's going to train with us during the week - he did a little bit last week - and [we're] just going to see where he's at," he said.

"It'd be great to have him out there [to] play a couple of games before the season ends. He's just been going about his rehab as normal. It'd certainly give the playing group a huge boost to have 'Coons' out there."

King said Cooney had been largely restricted to doing "a little bit of cross-training" and the challenge would be to get him match-ready.

"His knee's feeling better, it's just a matter of the soft-tissue stuff, and he's such an explosive athlete, to make sure we're not just throwing him out there and he's got enough [fitness] under his belt to get through a game of footy," he said.

The Bulldogs have blooded four debutants in their past over past outings and King believes 191cm key forward Matthew Panos, 21, could be the next first-gamer.

Panos - an emergency for the game against Richmond on Sunday - and fellow 21-year-old forward Tom Hill are the only players on the Bulldogs' primary list yet to play an AFL game.

"Matty's very close [to selection] up forward," King said.

"I think we had probably six or seven key-position players play on the weekend, so it comes down to a bit of balance as well. But Matty's a quality player, he's a lethal shot at goal and hopefully he does get his shot as well by the end of the year."

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2012, 05:25 PM
It just seems strange that Panos has not been given a game. I know King mentions him in that article, but I think he'll be delisted. If he was in the club's future plans, he surely would have played already.

BulldogBelle
14-08-2012, 05:41 PM
So, just to put the issue to bed, HAVE we (the club) checked for any radical overseas solutions involving Cooneys knee?

Absolutely anything less than 100% certainty is negligent imo.

LostDoggy
14-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I no longer think Cooney would be in our plans after next year.

LostDoggy
14-08-2012, 11:57 PM
I think we are almost flogging a dead horse now with Adam. I'm very sad to say that but it seems so long ago when he actually influenced a game. It's so sad to see someone's career slow down huge way it has but I guess it shows that there are no guarantees in this game.

Desipura
15-08-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't get it. What is the benefit of coming back and playing this late in the year? Is he trying to prove to himself and the MC that his body will allow him to play games in succession?

Mantis
15-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't get it. What is the benefit of coming back and playing this late in the year? Is he trying to prove to himself and the MC that his body will allow him to play games in succession?

Yep, they should be looking at a long term solution rather than playing him when it's clear we are in experimental mode.

LostDoggy
15-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Hate to sound cinical but the last two years he has missed a lot of football. Now his contract will be in its last year next year I wonder how many games he will manage. Will be very interesting and give an insight into his commitment to the club.

AndrewP6
15-08-2012, 09:12 PM

The first line of the article says that's precisely what he's/they're doing.

The Pie Man
15-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Anyone read the story on Bartram putting on 9KG to go through liposuction to see if they can recreate cartilage? I thought of Coons

jeemak
16-08-2012, 12:46 AM
The first line of the article says that's precisely what he's/they're doing.

I thought it was pretty obvious too.

Cooney is going to have to play through injury if he's going to forge an AFL career post that injury, and a lot his battle is going to be psychological. He needs to learn how to rest, rehabilitate and play through pain if he's going to remain relevant.

Even though he's shown himself to be a lacs guy off the field and carries some similar traits on it, he's also been able to commit to a family that has faced serious challenges which have been beyond what many his age might have been able to deal with whilst playing competitive top level football.

I'm not convinced he'll remain a contributor for us going forward, though I believe he's the type of guy that if he concentrates on it he can be, body withstanding.

Comparing him to players that are undergoing radical treatments or processes to get themselves right isn't really worth it. I'll happily assume the club is doing all it can and seeking the best advice to get their best player back on the park.

chef
16-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Anyone read the story on Bartram putting on 9KG to go through liposuction to see if they can recreate cartilage? I thought of Coons

They have different types of injuries apparently

KT31
22-08-2012, 10:16 AM

Why wait, I am carrying enogh for a new one for him now, could even manage a spare.:D