PDA

View Full Version : Higgins signs new deal

Hotdog60
15-08-2012, 09:40 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/1_13WBBL12DT%20690.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Shaun Higgins has inked a two-year contract extension with the club that will take him through to the end of the 2014 season.

Higgins says a mid-season meeting with coach Brendan McCartney has helped to change his focus.

The 24-year-old and McCartney spoke about concentrating on contributing to the team and the club rather than focusing on kicking goals.

"Mid-year, I had a pretty good chat with Brendan moving forward and where my place in the team was and what I stood for and what he wanted from me," Higgins told The Age.

"It's been fantastic from the way nothing has been based for myself around possessions and goals or anything like that.

"It's about my role, being a good teammate and helping out the club and helping out the young kids, helping to teach them, and also playing the right way.

"That has been the biggest thing. It has also taken a bit of pressure off myself in terms of kicking those goals and possessions.

"I have been able to readjust to what was needed. Hopefully I am still building that."

Higgins has had a consistent season after returning to a role as a small forward. Under coach Rodney Eade last season, he played in the midfield and across half-back.

He played the opening 16 games this season before going down with a hamstring injury, and hopes to return against the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

In recent years he's battled knee, ankle, groin and elbow injuries.

"Obviously the last couple of years have been interrupted a bit. I am still getting full fitness back into me," Higgins said.

"With another pre-season, it will be a full pre-season this year, which I haven't had a for a while. I am really excited about that."

Higgins left the leadership group before this season to concentrate on getting his body right.

He hopes to return to the leadership group, which at this stage features players aged 29 and older: skipper Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy and Daniel Cross.
LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144628/default.aspx)

stefoid
15-08-2012, 09:42 AM
good

bornadog
15-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Now for Minson

whythelongface
15-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Excellent news. If he stays injury free think we will see the best of Higgins over the next 2 years.

Redemption97
15-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm really pleased with this news. I just hope he can get fit and string a full season together next year...

DragzLS1
15-08-2012, 01:46 PM
He was getting better every game he played and looked good. Think Dickson and Higgens will be very dangerous in the coming seasons if we can keep them on the park :)

Maddog37
15-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Hope he can get a little bit more explosiveness back into his game. Fingers crossed his body holds up!

BulldogBelle
15-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Ive got a feeling that Higgins might be the next captain of the club.

bornadog
15-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Ive got a feeling that Higgins might be the next captain of the club.

I would give it to him next year.

BulldogBelle
15-08-2012, 03:41 PM
If that's the way the club is going to go, then next year would be the right time as it means he can get one (maybe two) years of captaincy under his belt with the safety of having the old timers around him. By the time the last of those players depart in 2014, he would have full confidence (hopefully) in his abilities to lead the team without his performances being impacted.

BulldogBelle
15-08-2012, 03:43 PM
FWIW, I'm not sure if he's got captain material written all over him, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if this did eventuate. You can never quite predict the effect responsibility will have on an individual until they are given it.

bornadog
15-08-2012, 03:54 PM
If that's the way the club is going to go, then next year would be the right time as it means he can get one (maybe two) years of captaincy under his belt with the safety of having the old timers around him. By the time the last of those players depart in 2014, he would have full confidence (hopefully) in his abilities to lead the team without his performances being impacted.

FWIW, I'm not sure if he's got captain material written all over him, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if this did eventuate. You can never quite predict the effect responsibility will have on an individual until they are given it.

I have started a new thread on the next captain.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I would give it to him next year.

On what basis? Higgins apart from this year has been very up and down even allowing for his spate of injuries. Hasn't really earnt consideration as captain. I would be surprised if Boyd our most consistent performer isn't reappointed next year again.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Picken for Captain anyone?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I was watching a dvd of a game in 2009 and he was so good as were a lot of others whose skill levels have gone south.

chef
15-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Great news. Minson next please.

jeemak
16-08-2012, 02:04 AM
I was watching a dvd of a game in 2009 and he was so good as were a lot of others whose skill levels have gone south.

Hopefully there were no spoons around, otherwise you might have thought it a good idea to compare our kicking and ball movement ability from then to now and start to self harm.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Hopefully there were no spoons around, otherwise you might have thought it a good idea to compare our kicking and ball movement ability from then to now and start to self harm.

Wooden spoons?

KT31
16-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Great news he has started to live up to his potential, hopefully we can keep him on the padock.