PDA

View Full Version : Our Next Captain

bornadog
15-08-2012, 03:45 PM
The last few captains have been appointed when they were in their late 20's. With such a young team and with our senior players on their last legs, its time to appoint someone a little younger than can relate to the young guys, but has the ability to not on;y lead on the field but off the field as well. Someone that has good speaking skills.

I think Boyd should step down and concentrate on his football and give a new guy a go.

Who are the candidates?

Dancin' Douggy
15-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I can hear a light breeze, some crickets and some owls......................

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I can hear a light breeze, some crickets and some owls......................

Man, I laughed so hard at this..... :D
Pessimism has reached epidemic proportions amongst the supporter masses!

Dancin' Douggy
15-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Man, I laughed so hard at this..... :D
Pessimism has reached epidemic proportions amongst the supporter masses!

Actually I think Bob Murphy should be given the nod, despite his age, then Ryan Griffen who I don't think is quite ready yet.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Anyone for Liam Picken?

Maddog37
15-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Boyd for another year and then see who steps up.

bornadog
15-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Actually I think Bob Murphy should be given the nod, despite his age, then Ryan Griffen who I don't think is quite ready yet.

Trouble with Murphy, is his age. Can't see him playing beyond next year.

I put Griffen up, but he is very quiet and not really a person that speaks much in public. Having said that Boyd has rarely spoken to the media in the last two seasons. We really need someone that can help promote the club as well as the on field leadership.

Dancin' Douggy
15-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Even if Bob just has a year, I think he's earned it.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Trouble with Murphy, is his age. Can't see him playing beyond next year.

I put Griffen up, but he is very quiet and not really a person that speaks much in public. Having said that Boyd has rarely spoken to the media in the last two seasons. We really need someone that can help promote the club as well as the on field leadership.

Agree with this. Murph's great, but that tier of players, Gilbee, Shaggy and him, are in decline.

chef
15-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Toss up between Higgins, Picken & Minson, as I'm pretty sure Griffen doesn't want it.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Picken. Maybe the only player we have that the opposition fears. Sign of this is how they get stuck into him whenever something goes their way. They hate him.

LostDoggy
15-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Would love to see Dale Morris made captain, if he ever makes it back.If not wait until Wallis matures a couple more years.

BulldogBelle
15-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I voted 'make a decision in 2014' but I think Minson has the best skill set to perform the role best. From all accounts he prepares himself well physically and is a solid trainer. In addition to this, he has the gravitas to carry out media and marketing duties more successfully than anyone else on our list. Also, he wouldn't think twice of putting himself on the line to lift the team.

LostDoggy
15-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Dale Morris.
(provided injury is behind him)

Greystache
15-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't think anyone replaces Boyd in the next 2 years barring serious injury. After that Wallis its probably the only candidate, Higgins is might be the only other candidate if he can eventually find continuity with his body and form.

AndrewP6
15-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I voted for the 2014 option. If I were Boyd, I'd be mightily PO'd if I was bumped after just two years in the job. As critical as I sometimes am of his disposal errors, the guy worked his tail off to get through the rookie ranks, and from all accounts, still has the same work rate on the training track. To be honest, I'd have given it to Griff or Murph if I'd had that choice, but Boyd deserves to keep the captaincy at least another season.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't think anyone replaces Boyd in the next 2 years barring serious injury. After that Wallis its probably the only candidate, Higgins is might be the only other candidate if he can eventually find continuity with his body and form.

Why not Picken? He's one of our most consistent players week in, week out.

LongWait
15-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm a little surprised that you think replacing Boyd as Captain is even on the agenda at the club - the Coach has not only been supportive, but has singled Boyd out on a number of occasions for praise and has spoken strongly about his respect for Matthew as a leader. Not saying I agree with McCartney, but I don't get the idea of this thread (no disrespect BAD - just sayin'.)

Mofra
15-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Why not Picken? He's one of our most consistent players week in, week out.
By all accounts he rarely speaks - he seems a role player, not a leader.

Boyd to captain next year for mine

AndrewP6
15-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm a little surprised that you think replacing Boyd as Captain is even on the agenda at the club - the Coach has not only been supportive, but has singled Boyd out on a number of occasions for praise and has spoken strongly about his respect for Matthew as a leader. Not saying I agree with McCartney, but I don't get the idea of this thread (no disrespect BAD - just sayin'.)

Not wanting to speak for bornadog, but at Boyd's age, the change won't be all that far away.

azabob
15-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Not wanting to speak for bornadog, but at Boyd's age, the change won't be all that far away.

Another poster raised the question in a Shaun Higgins contract signing thread, so BAD posted this thread rather than take the other one off topic and as Andrew says Boyd is getting older.

LostDoggy
15-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Griff is the only real option to Boyd. Boyd is a good leader, keep him until there is a standout replacement.

Most other options are ludicrous eg. Higgins and Minson

bornadog
15-08-2012, 10:26 PM

The idea of the thread is a discussion to see what peoples thoughts are about the future of our club.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Swans had co-captains. I actually think young people relate better to younger leaders, and an overlapping Boyd / Picken or Boyd / higgins role wouldn't be bad. Try something different!

jeemak
16-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Agreed. Let's just wait until Wallis is a couple of years older, barring absence through injury he'll be a gun by then, and well groomed to take our team forward for many years.

I wouldn't mind Higgins for many reasons, apart from his inconsistency in fitness.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Nobody, anybody....going once, twice....Picken??

He would give his left nutsack to win a game, and his right one to beat his opponent.
If he played for Geelong, he would be a superstar.

jeemak
16-08-2012, 02:00 AM

He would give his left nutsack to win a game, and his right one to beat his opponent.

Did you ever consider Cameron Ling to be a superstar or just a very good player? For me, he played as well as Picken has in a similar role, probably better actually over the years but he managed to publicly put himself forward as a leader very clearly over the two or three years prior to him being nominated as captain. He was also more effective than Picken as a player as far as the media was concerned (though this probably had a bit to do with him winning three flags).

Considering that, do you really think Picken is the type to captain an AFL club?

Boyd is a captain that seems to be more of a behind the scenes person rather than a media person, though he's very high profile for his on-field performances (irrespective of whether I think he can use the ball). For mine, Picken would be behind the scenes on all fronts, and I'm not sure we need our next captain to be that way, particularly considering our clubs need to raise its public profile.

Hotdog60
16-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Although Picken may have the qualities as a footballer I can't see him as the type to promote the club. Behind the scenes he may well encourage the younger player and gee up the older ones but from my small square viewing box I see a person who is committed to doing his allotted task and all his focus is on that.

Boyd himself has said he is still learning the role. Remember his speech when he said "I'm not here to make friends but to win games of football". or something like that.

Would he still quote those words today, he has to encourage the young players and support the older ones. Picken seems to me as the type to go quietly about his business without a lot fuss.

Wallis or Higgins would be the most likely next candidates.

LostDoggy
16-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Like it was stated before. He doesn't seem to communicate well. Leading takes more than setting an example, of which i agree he does well.
Have you heard or seen him do an interview? I have only seen one and he couldn't look at the camera or interviewer. Also his responses were very closed and extremely nervous.
Great player, all heart. But probably not the head of the team.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Did you ever consider Cameron Ling to be a superstar or just a very good player? For me, he played as well as Picken has in a similar role, probably better actually over the years but he managed to publicly put himself forward as a leader very clearly over the two or three years prior to him being nominated as captain. He was also more effective than Picken as a player as far as the media was concerned (though this probably had a bit to do with him winning three flags).

Considering that, do you really think Picken is the type to captain an AFL club?

Boyd is a captain that seems to be more of a behind the scenes person rather than a media person, though he's very high profile for his on-field performances (irrespective of whether I think he can use the ball). For mine, Picken would be behind the scenes on all fronts, and I'm not sure we need our next captain to be that way, particularly considering our clubs need to raise its public profile.

Two things. First, I'm a bit biased as he's a local boy. Secondly, what does Boyd do for us in the media at the moment? Bugger all. Just repeats what the Coach says basically. Maca wants us to do this or that, etc etc. Then look like a growly bear and stand in front of the westgate with a shining halo. Captains don't have to do much in the media. If they perform well on field, the media comes looking for them.
He's a quality player being used as a tagger. Basically, nobody has the Ka-hoons big enough to do his job.
Would do better than a lot of our other forwards, given the chance.

Mofra
16-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Two things. First, I'm a bit biased as he's a local boy. Secondly, what does Boyd do for us in the media at the moment? Bugger all. Just repeats what the Coach says basically. Maca wants us to do this or that, etc etc. Then look like a growly bear and stand in front of the westgate with a shining halo. Captains don't have to do much in the media. If they perform well on field, the media comes looking for them.
He's a quality player being used as a tagger. Basically, nobody has the Ka-hoons big enough to do his job.
Have you heard Picken speak? Neither have most people at the club. We need someone who is, at least internally, vocal amongst the group.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Have you heard Picken speak? Neither have most people at the club. We need someone who is, at least internally, vocal amongst the group.

I have. Wears budgie smugglers, not board shorts. :D
If he can't communicate then why does he have the position in community engagement ?
I have been to games with Bulldog staff in the community programs dept ( K. Lai ) and they speak really highly of his public dealings. His ability to engage people from other walks of life. Would the club put him in that role if they didn't think he was a good communicator?
He has the bloodlines. His father was a champ and his cousin is Jonathan Brown.
Anyway, I cast my vote.

Mofra
16-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I have. Wears budgie smugglers, not board shorts. :D
Smugglers for life!

If he can't communicate then why does he have the position in community engagement ?
I have been to games with Bulldog staff in the community programs dept ( K. Lai ) and they speak really highly of his public dealings. His ability to engage people from other walks of life. Would the club put him in that role if they didn't think he was a good communicator?
He has the bloodlines. His father was a champ and his cousin is Jonathan Brown.
Anyway, I cast my vote.
I'm, not saying he can't communicate, but in a group environment I want a captain to be one of the more vocal members of the group and Picken is widely regarded as one of the quieter ones.

Some guys are just destined to be highly valued players but not have a leadership role, I get the feeling Picken is one of them.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Isn't Giansiracusa really the captain now?

bornadog
16-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Even the jumper presentation to Jong, It was Gia doing the handover.

ratsmac
16-08-2012, 05:49 PM
If Wallis is a candidate then why isn't Libba in that list?

Ghost Dog
16-08-2012, 05:54 PM
If Wallis is a candidate then why isn't Libba in that list?

He's in the queue...... of the spearmint rhino.:mad:

w3design
16-08-2012, 06:17 PM
For mine, Boydy captain for next season. With the significant list changes this off season, us just adjusting to the new coaching team/style, we will need stability rather than more change next year. Boyd's greatest weakness as a captain is he can't win tosses. I doubt that he will still be captain in 2014, and I would see Wal. taking the role by say 2015. That could see us with a one year [ for service] senior player standing in the role for 2014...something that has happened before in most clubs, so there is plenty of precedent.

Mantis
16-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Even the jumper presentation to Jong, It was Gia doing the handover.

Different players are commonly used in this presentation.

westdog54
16-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Of the members of the leadership group he strikes me as being the most articulate and vocal.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Clay Smith - future captain potential

Hit7PdVUSZc

azabob
17-08-2012, 09:37 PM

Hit7PdVUSZc

He spoke quite well considering it was his first week at the club regardless how much media training he recieved in the under 18's.

LostDoggy
17-08-2012, 10:39 PM

just re read this.
GD what is a left nutsack?

LostDoggy
17-08-2012, 10:53 PM
just re read this.

Kevin Rudd?

bornadog
17-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Kevin Rudd?

and a right nutsack = Abbott:D

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 11:39 PM
and a right nutsack = abbott:d

lol :D

jeemak
18-08-2012, 05:42 AM

Mate, I think that was the point of my post. Boyd doesn't do a lot of media work, though his profile on the basis of stats collected puts him in the media more than Picken. He's also an all Australian.

If I had to choose the diference between the two, it wouldn't necessarily be based on contribution to the team in terms of effort and output. Though, I don't think they're that far off eachother in that regard, irrespective of the roles they play.

jeemak
18-08-2012, 05:51 AM

Hit7PdVUSZc

How about we just get him to learn to gain the ball and how to use the ball, and worry about leadership potential after he's done that.

Ghost Dog
18-08-2012, 08:01 AM
How about we just get him to learn to gain the ball and how to use the ball, and worry about leadership potential after he's done that.

The thread is pretty speculative. It's only Wallis' second year.

LostDoggy
18-08-2012, 11:05 PM

just re read this.

Kevin Rudd?

and a right nutsack = Abbott:D

So it should read......

He would give his Kevin Rudd to win a game, and his Abbott to beat his opponent.

westdog54
18-08-2012, 11:11 PM
just re read this.

I wonder if its the same as a Rat's Tossbag?

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 01:10 AM
I wonder if its the same as a Rat's Tossbag?

LOL I just found my favourite moderator! :D

Reminds me of a song...( to the tune of "Colonel Bogey March".)

Abbott....has only got one ball...
Hockey....has two but very small....

Didn't Higgins put his hand up for captain last time around?

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Didn't Higgins put his hand up for captain last time around?

I want some people to speak up on this one.
I don't get to go to games, but it is common to read in gameday threads, how Higgings will tear into other players, order them around etc. all the while his form is non existent? From what I read and what I see, it isn't great captain material.

bornadog
19-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I want some people to speak up on this one.
I don't get to go to games, but it is common to read in gameday threads, how Higgings will tear into other players, order them around etc. all the while his form is non existent? From what I read and what I see, it isn't great captain material.

Higgins has been asked to play a mentoring role on the field for some of the younger players. His form has been very good this year.

Mofra
19-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I dont think getting the ball is gaing to be an issue for Clay - 20 touches last game for a kid in his first season is ahead of the curve IMO.

Using it? That's another thing, but hopefully the improvement in Wallis in under two years shows that we can improve the disposal skills of our kids.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Griffen and Minson have never been considered for the leadership group.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Higgins has been asked to play a mentoring role on the field for some of the younger players. His form has been very good this year.

I heard this, and I believe he is a part of the leadership team? I'm just going on some previous posts.
As for form I'm not sure I agree. He has been ok. But he is well under where I thought he'd be by now. I know injury has held him back but that excuse can only go so far.
Just not sure how many games he'd get at certain other clubs.

azabob
19-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I heard this, and I believe he is a part of the leadership team? I'm just going on some previous posts.
As for form I'm not sure I agree. He has been ok. But he is well under where I thought he'd be by now. I know injury has held him back but that excuse can only go so far.

What clubs wouldn't Higgins get games for? I'd suggest he'd get a game at all other clubs.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 02:34 PM
What clubs wouldn't Higgins get games for? I'd suggest he'd get a game at all other clubs.

Even if he did, how long before he would be out injured?

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 02:47 PM

He stepped down from the leadership group this year to focus on getting his own body right, was in the leadership group the 2 years previous.

SonofScray
19-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Minson has shown really strong leadership and clubman qualities. I'd throw him in the mix given the way he has performed this season and how he has handled himself in a number of adverse situations.

He takes feedback well, works hard to address deficiencies in his game and will do whatever he has to to get one over his opponent. That he is willing to risk his reputation in an effort to rile opponents and bring heat on himself is an admirable leadership quality.

Battled away at Willy a lot last year, had his best season this year.

GVGjr
19-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Minson has shown really strong leadership and clubman qualities. I'd throw him in the mix given the way he has performed this season and how he has handled himself in a number of adverse situations.

I think he is a leader but I wonder if some of his misdemeanors will work against him.

SonofScray
19-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I think he is a leader but I wonder if some of his misdemeanors will work against him.

Would imagine they would, however there is a solid spin you could put on them in terms of our Club valuing really ruthless and combative mind sets. Libba was no less a leader, or good person for his acts on the field. In itself it doesn't make a Captain but matched with other attributes (mentoring, public speaking, authenticity etc) it becomes a solid trait.

Maddog37
19-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Be hard to make Minno captain if he has vilified someone and stomped on another in the same year.

SonofScray
19-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Be hard to make Minno captain if he has vilified someone and stomped on another in the same year.

Why?

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to make Minson captain if he isn't playing for he club?
I'd be after a signature first, or has he resigned already?

Go_Dogs
24-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Thought this might be worth a bump.

I for one really hope Griff throws his hand up and says he'd like to lead the side next year. If you haven't seen it yet, his travel diaries from the GC game are well worth a look. One comment I loved (which I'm sure was said tongue in cheek) when Griff was asked his role for the match, "give it to me and I'll do the rest".

From the brief view we get from the outside he appears to have really developed his leadership skills and is also a well liked and respected member of the team and one of the few who can genuinely impact a game.

G-Mo77
24-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Thought this might be worth a bump.

I for one really hope Griff throws his hand up and says he'd like to lead the side next year. If you haven't seen it yet, his travel diaries from the GC game are well worth a look. One comment I loved (which I'm sure was said tongue in cheek) when Griff was asked his role for the match, "give it to me and I'll do the rest".

I really enjoyed the travel diaries. That response was after he asked Tom Williams "What's your role? What are you doing here?" :D

Scorlibo
24-05-2013, 05:24 PM
It comes down to four guys really - Cooney, Higgins, Griffen and Minson.

Outside of that you could say that Wallis and Roughead are chances as well respected young players, but it's unlikely.

Higgins is renowned as a good leader, which is more than can be said of Griffen and Cooney, yet each of Griff and Coons can turn a game - especially Coons.

LostDoggy
24-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Dale Thomas

AndrewP6
24-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Griff for mine. He's through and through.

EDIT: originally voted for the 2014 option.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I voted 'make a decision in 2014' but I think Minson has the best skill set to perform the role best. From all accounts he prepares himself well physically and is a solid trainer. In addition to this, he has the gravitas to carry out media and marketing duties more successfully than anyone else on our list. Also, he wouldn't think twice of putting himself on the line to lift the team.

*My thoughts also.

LostDoggy
24-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Murph if he goes around. Deserves it and would appreciate the honour of it even in a struggling side.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Griff doesn't want it. Lucas Marcovic!

chef
24-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Or Lukas Markovic?

:D

But seriously, no. Shouldn't be on our list in 2014

bulldogtragic
24-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Is Boyd retired voluntarily or against his will, or does he play on and hand it in voluntarily or against his will??

westdog54
27-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Having listened to Macca's press conference I get the impression that Griff is starting to step up with his leadership on and off the field and I can see him leading the club next year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2013, 09:26 PM

I fancy that Jordan Roughead may well be our next Captain. Roughead is very well regarded by the MC and with such a young team emerging has strong appeal. My hope is that Roughead could become another Brown or Carey type and surprise us all with his leadership qualities.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I fancy that Jordan Roughead may well be our next Captain. Roughead is very well regarded by the MC and with such a young team emerging has strong appeal. My hope is that Roughead could become another Brown or Carey type and surprise us all with his leadership qualities.

Terrific nomination NBP. In two years he would be good to go.

Greystache
28-05-2013, 12:49 AM

Really interesting suggestion NBP, probably not one many of us have considered. Pleasing to hear he's so well regarded.

The Underdog
28-05-2013, 09:07 AM

Having a captain who isn't on the list would be a revolutionary approach.

At this point I can't think of a reason Griff shouldn't be captain next year. There'd be no shame in Boyd stepping back to a leadership role in his last year or two. Cooney isn't and has never been captain material (plus needs to re- sign first), Higgins has way too many injury & form issues to deal with, without being captain. The kids are still 2 or 3 years from getting that kind of responsibility.
Griff is our best player, most reliable performer in pressure situations and has already signed for a couple more years. Plus I think he might be ready for the responsibility the role brings which may not have been the case previously.

Twodogs
28-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Having a captain who isn't on the list would be a revolutionary approach.

At this point I can't think of a reason Griff shouldn't be captain next year. There'd be no shame in Boyd stepping back to a leadership role in his last year or two. Cooney isn't and has never been captain material (plus needs to re- sign first), Higgins has way too many injury & form issues to deal with, without being captain. The kids are still 2 or 3 years from getting that kind of responsibility.
Griff is our best player, most reliable performer in pressure situations and has already signed for a couple more years. Plus I think he might be ready for the responsibility the role brings which may not have been the case previously.

Griff doesnt want to be captain It's part of the reason he didnt go to GWS. Or Gold Coast I cant remember exactly which one he knocked back now.

Go_Dogs
28-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Griff doesnt want to be captain It's part of the reason he didnt go to GWS. Or Gold Coast I cant remember exactly which one he knocked back now.

I get the impression that may be changing though.

Twodogs
28-05-2013, 02:03 PM

He could easily change his mind. My info is a couple of years old. I hope I'm wrong because Ryan would be an ideal captain.

always right
28-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Would love to see Big Will get the gig. He has improved out of sight over the last couple of years and the captaincy could take him to yet another level. Might completely eliminate the brain fades he used to have on a regular basis.

The Underdog
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
He could easily change his mind. My info is a couple of years old. I hope I'm wrong because Ryan would be an ideal captain.

Well he was captain in Darwin and seemed to cope ok:)

Listening to Macca it seems Griff might be more ready for it and as per my earlier post he is the standout candidate

F'scary
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Griffen. It will help to keep him at the club.

Dancin' Douggy
02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Griffen has really risen dramatically this year.
He is definite captain material now.
Has been absolutely inspirational.

boydogs
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM

He was acting captain last night.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Yep. Certainly looks like he's now ready and willing to take the mantle, which I'm very happy with.

Maddog37
02-06-2013, 07:35 PM

And put in an Oscar worthy performance!

bornadog
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I think Griffo will be the next captain

In form Western Bulldog Ryan Griffen is growing into an important leader both on and off the field, teammate Daniel Giansiracusa says.

Griffen was in scintillating form against Port Adelaide in Darwin, racking up 40 possessions — the first player in 2013 to do so.

But Giansiracusa was just as impressed with the South Australian’s growing leadership and touted him as a future captain of the Club.

“He’s come a long way with his leadership this year and really stepped up,” Giansiracusa told Triple M.

“People in the public don’t really see what he does around the footy club.

“He’s not one that does say too much, not overly vocal, but what he does on the field and the way he trains and takes his teammates with him – he’s very inspiring.

“I definitely think you could talk about him filling that role once Boydy wants to give it up.”

Giansiracusa also showed concern for fellow Bulldog Tom Williams’ shoulder injury, which saw him substituted out during the second quarter.

Williams injured his shoulder in a marking contest in just his second game since round 18, 2012.

“It’s shattering for not only him but for his teammates and the footy club,” he said

“He is a well-respected guy around the footy club, well liked - we just hope he can get a clear run at it.

“He will have scans early in the week and we will go from there but he has got the full support of the footy club and the playing list and we just hope he can come through it ok.”

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Maccas inside game has been just the thing for Griffen. He was already our best player the last couple years but he's gone up another couple notches this year which has been great to see. I've always worried that Griffen always takes the tagger and gets shut down. But this year, he's smashing through taggers. Watching Clint Jones and Ryan Crowley trying to stop him this year was like hitting him with a feather duster. Off field, his loyalty has been Grant-esque. If Griffen decides to take it on, its his.

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't think Wallis is a lock for the next generation either. Smith, Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat are all emerging guns who speak and train well. The Macca no dickhead policy is having an impact after not even two years.

1eyedog
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Macca woud have asked Griff if he wanted to be stand in captain on Saturday night and Griffen obviously said yes.

He's ready now and I think he is leading himself to the inevitable.

I think Griff wasn't interested in it becasue his game just wasn't at the consistent level he wanted it to be.

It sure is now.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Macca woud have asked Griff if he wanted to be stand in captain on Saturday night and Griffen obviously said yes.

He's ready now and I think he is leading himself to the inevitable.

I think Griff wasn't interested in it becasue his game just wasn't at the consistent level he wanted it to be.

It sure is now.

He seems to be a very quiet kind of guy.

1eyedog
05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
He seems to be a very quiet kind of guy.

Yes, as others have stated that seems to be changing.

Ablett, Swallow and Cotchin are also naturally quiet personality types, these guys would prefer to shun the camera if they could, but there are many other facets to being a captain as I'm sure you're aware. How you are seen internally is probably the most important and Gia has reinforced that. I couldn't imagine one kid coming into the club that didn't think Griff was a champ.

Externally, he is starting to get runs on the board. Opposition teams fear him and solid football people rate him very highly.

The question mark is his maturity and I'm not in a position to comment on that.

mighty_west
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Time for Ryan Griffen to step up.

Remi Moses
09-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Griffen for me.

bornadog
09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Time for Ryan Griffen to step up.

These travel Diaries show Griff coming out of his quiet shell and really stepping up:

F42e9O_51zY

uPIlsyZFMMU

jl0keHrKsEs

RBDeLU4H5wM

Part 5 to come

mighty_west
09-06-2013, 09:05 PM
These travel Diaries show Griff coming out of his quiet shell and really stepping up:

F42e9O_51zY

uPIlsyZFMMU

jl0keHrKsEs

RBDeLU4H5wM

Part 5 to come

Seemed quite composed and natural when being interviewed after the game in Darwin as well, hard to know living in Brissy whether he's been doing alot more media compared to other years, but seems to gone to that next level on field, and a good age to take that role.

LostDoggy
09-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Time for a new captaincy poll, I would expect very different results now.

always right
10-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Strange seeing Tom Williams on the video when you know how the game turned out for him. Loved his line about shaking babies and kissing hands. He obviously loved it too.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Strange seeing Tom Williams on the video when you know how the game turned out for him. Loved his line about shaking babies and kissing hands. He obviously loved it too.

Agreed, was a funny call. The Travel Diaries are a great initiative and it's something I hope we continue to see throughout the season.

azabob
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Who are they trying to throw in the pool in video 3?

Does anyone know Griffen's nick name around the club?

bornadog
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
VqCm61JzD20

Go_Dogs
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know Griffen's nick name around the club?

I think he's known as "Gaz".

AndrewP6
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I think he's known as "Gaz".

Yep he's referred to as Gaz a number of times throughout these vids.

AndrewP6
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Funny having them talking about the heat (it's "bloody hot")...

They say professional athletes are pampered. ;)

azabob
10-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Yep he's referred to as Gaz a number of times throughout these vids.

I only heard it twice, so I was just checking.

always right
14-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Who are they trying to throw in the pool in video 3?

It's the physio guy who does the injury updates isn't it?