PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Panos

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I thought that I would start a thread about Matty Panos. Do you guys think he will play this year or next year or will he be delisted. Be good to hear your thoughts on his future on our list.

bornadog
17-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I thought that I would start a thread about Matty Panos. Do you guys think he will play this year or next year or will he be delisted. Be good to hear your thoughts on his future on our list.

What are your thoughts?

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't think there is a spot in the AFL for someone who can't run

He's on my delist list

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 01:30 PM
What are your thoughts?

I think hopefully he will eventually debut but the signs aren't very good if we still have played him yet despite his elevation. We need to find out how he goes at senior level.

GVGjr
17-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think there is a spot in the AFL for someone who can't run

He's on my delist list

I think his contract will probably save him but it's only his mobility that holds him back.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I think his contract will probably save him but it's only his mobility that holds him back.

Do we know he got a 2 year deal? That would certainly save him.

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 02:31 PM
From reading reports from Willy he hasnt spent all his time up forward and played a bit everywhere. I think elevations can occur because a team has injuries.

LostDoggy
17-08-2012, 03:17 PM
From what I've read, he knows how to lead and is a good set shot so a little surprised he hasn't been played? Surely not being quick enough wouldn't be holding him back as we regularly play Marko and even some of our mids are slow.

The Pie Man
17-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Yet we're happy to play Cordy at FF for the majority of the games he's played in the seniors.......

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2012, 05:22 PM
From what I've read, he knows how to lead and is a good set shot so a little surprised he hasn't been played? Surely not being quick enough wouldn't be holding him back as we regularly play Marko and even some of our mids are slow.

I didn't say Panos was slow I said he couldn't run. Our mids that are slow all have elite endurance. Panos has neither. With regards to Markovic, pace is a relative thing. The bigger you are the less important it can be. Panos is much smaller and lighter than Markovic (but I'd still back in Markovic over any distance).

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Panos is much smaller and lighter than Markovic (but I'd still back in Markovic over any distance).

2cm and 4kg to be exact. :)

stefoid
17-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Yet we're happy to play Cordy at FF for the majority of the games he's played in the seniors.......

article in the paper today said Cords is struggling with the large amount of weight he has put on to regain his speed and it will take time to regain.

Plus he is 202cm.

The Pie Man
17-08-2012, 07:08 PM
article in the paper today said Cords is struggling with the large amount of weight he has put on to regain his speed and it will take time to regain.

Plus he is 202cm.

I can't recall too many big guys going that way with their mobility - Ottens for example, was a very mobile young tall at Richmond, and by the time he got to Geelong he was a complete monster.

Better player in the end, focusing on the ruck and part time forward (important distinction)

GVGjr
17-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Do we know he got a 2 year deal? That would certainly save him.

I think he got a 2 year deal because we most rookie upgrades do.

GVGjr
17-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I didn't say Panos was slow I said he couldn't run. Our mids that are slow all have elite endurance. Panos has neither. With regards to Markovic, pace is a relative thing. The bigger you are the less important it can be. Panos is much smaller and lighter than Markovic (but I'd still back in Markovic over any distance).

2cm and 4kg to be exact. :)

Yep the stats indicate they are a similar size but Markovic has proven he can play against bigger blokes and I haven't seen enough in Panos to suggest he could.

SS is correct in that Panos just doesn't have the required mobility.

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 08:57 PM
For anyone who has watched Panos closely at Williamstown what does he need to do to improve so he could be a full forward option at AFL level.

azabob
17-08-2012, 09:27 PM
For anyone who has watched Panos closely at Williamstown what does he need to do to improve so he could be a full forward option at AFL level.

I think the common theme is his lack of mobility and agility which he has improved greatly, but still not enough.

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I think the common theme is his lack of mobility and agility which he has improved greatly, but still not enough.

Could you see Panos debut in the NAB Cup next year.

azabob
17-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Could you see Panos debut in the NAB Cup next year.

I think he actually played in this years NAB cup.

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I think he actually played in this years NAB cup.

Probably right azabob.

w3design
17-08-2012, 11:22 PM

I have watched a lot of MP's games, and a lot of football over many decades, and to be honest, I am at a complete loss as to why he is not being played. There clearly is something we are not being told. He most definitely can play the game. He is the only real natural forward we have. Initially his problem [ first year or so] was a total lack of fitness... I watched him a number of times at training pre-season this year, and that had improved noticeably. He is not, and probably will never be seen as quick, but that is offset by the fact that he is undoubtedly the best set shot on our list.

As I say, I am mystified, so clearly there is something we are not being told. German has all but constantly been playing him out of position for much of the season. At first I assumed that was to improve his defensive pressure, but as time has passed, that holds less and less water as an explanation, after all he is not really tall enough for a key position forward, yet they have played him as a ruckman for God's sake at times.

If they choose to delist him, chances are we may never find out the truth. But for heaven's sake, given our recent performances, especially up forward, what the hell could we possibly lose by giving him a shot??? There is no way he could do worse than those tried ahead of him, even if he only had one leg.

wb_age
17-08-2012, 11:34 PM
IMO Marcovic won't make it at AFL level, gets slaughtered more often than not, has no pace and now has hamstring woes which won't assist his pace or mobility.

As for Panos, from the limited amount I have seen him, I see the issue not really being pace, but his ability to mark overhead or in a pack situation. If he was superior in either of the two pace wouldn't be an issue.

What were the arguments against taking on Pods when he was at our affiliate team?

MrMahatma
18-08-2012, 12:23 AM
IMO Marcovic won't make it at AFL level, gets slaughtered more often than not, has no pace and now has hamstring woes which won't assist his pace or mobility.

As for Panos, from the limited amount I have seen him, I see the issue not really being pace, but his ability to mark overhead or in a pack situation. If he was superior in either of the two pace wouldn't be an issue.

What were the arguments against taking on Pods when he was at our affiliate team?
Pace I think.

I'd say he's worth a crack. Ultimately we have nothing to lose. Give him the chance and see how he compares to Jones, Grant, Cordy, Hill...

Easy to say why someone wont make it and focus on that. There aren't many complete players in the AFL.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Pace I think.

I'd say he's worth a crack. Ultimately we have nothing to lose. Give him the chance and see how he compares to Jones, Grant, Cordy, Hill...

Easy to say why someone wont make it and focus on that. There aren't many complete players in the AFL.

Mobility. He was seen as being able to take a mark and was always a good kick but it was thought he brought nothing else to the table.

soupman
18-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Does anyone know if Panos is contracted next year? If not you would expect him to be delisted

jeemak
18-08-2012, 04:58 AM

I'm not sure there's been too many players that have tested better than Ayce in agility at the draft camp, let alone guys that have completed the test who are over 200cm tall. Ayce's mobility was elite at 18 years of age for a plus 200cm player, and as soon as he gets used to the weight he's put on he'll be elite for his size again. Whether he can convert that towards his overall game remains to be seen.

But, if you have expectations of him dominating games (after two to three years ruined by injury before this one) you're kidding yourself.

Personally, I think Ayce will be an absolute gun forward that can pinch hit in the ruck when he has to.

Panos never tested as well as Ayce did, and he was also overlooked in the draft by all clubs. We might think he has the attributes to be given a try, but at the end of the day AFL football isn't the same as the movie Rudy and players need to have the attributes to compete. If Panos proves himself to be as strong and dominant as Podsiadly was in the VFL, then I'll rue the day we delisted him (if eventually, he gets delisted).

The Pie Man
18-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure there's been too many players that have tested better than Ayce in agility at the draft camp, let alone guys that have completed the test who are over 200cm tall. Ayce's mobility was elite at 18 years of age for a plus 200cm player, and as soon as he gets used to the weight he's put on he'll be elite for his size again. Whether he can convert that towards his overall game remains to be seen.

But, if you have expectations of him dominating games (after two to three years ruined by injury before this one) you're kidding yourself.

Personally, I think Ayce will be an absolute gun forward that can pinch hit in the ruck when he has to.

Panos never tested as well as Ayce did, and he was also overlooked in the draft by all clubs. We might think he has the attributes to be given a try, but at the end of the day AFL football isn't the same as the movie Rudy and players need to have the attributes to compete. If Panos proves himself to be as strong and dominant as Podsiadly was in the VFL, then I'll rue the day we delisted him (if eventually, he gets delisted).

How likely/often is it that a big guy puts on weight and then regains agility?

I don't expect him to dominate - Cordy's under age highlight tapes reminded me of Corey McKernan, and if he can get some fluidity back into his movement while gaining even more size, he will likely make it. Whether that's 50/50 ruck/forward or more forward who knows (was encouraged to read he spent a fair bit if time rucking for Williamstown last weekend, I believe he needs more time honing that craft getting involved in the game)

I just have my doubts - he's got 3 years, I hope he can fire and show me up (wouldn't be the first time :o)

Ghost Dog
18-08-2012, 09:05 AM

I don't expect him to dominate - Cordy's under age highlight tapes reminded me of Corey McKernan, and if he can get some fluidity back into his movement while gaining even more size, he will likely make it. Whether that's 50/50 ruck/forward or more forward who knows (was encouraged to read he spent a fair bit if time rucking for Williamstown last weekend, I believe he needs more time honing that craft getting involved in the game)

I just have my doubts - he's got 3 years, I hope he can fire and show me up (wouldn't be the first time :o)

Re Cordy, Kruezer a good model for him?
I just don't get why we can't at least make Panos a sub. Roughead was made sub earlier and he's a similar type.

LongWait
18-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Re Cordy, Kruezer a good model for him?
I just don't get why we can't at least make Panos a sub. Roughead was made sub earlier and he's a similar type.

There might be a lot going on that we don't know about re Panos - and I don't mean this in a negative way, for example:

* he might be slotted in for the last two games;
* he might be a late change for this week;
* he might be physically not quite right in some way so, rather than debut him at less than 100%, he may be playing at Willi instead;
* he might be deliberately being held over to next year for some reason;
* he might have to have achieved certain targets before he gets the call-up;
* the club might have already decided to delist him.

Of the above, the last option is probably the least likely in my view. Just a guess though.

Desipura
18-08-2012, 08:05 PM
There might be a lot going on that we don't know about re Panos - and I don't mean this in a negative way, for example:

* he might be slotted in for the last two games;
* he might be a late change for this week;
* he might be physically not quite right in some way so, rather than debut him at less than 100%, he may be playing at Willi instead;
* he might be deliberately being held over to next year for some reason;
* he might have to have achieved certain targets before he gets the call-up;
* the club might have already decided to delist him.

Of the above, the last option is probably the least likely in my view. Just a guess though.

If it is none of the above, I would be disappointed if I were you.

Mofra
18-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Kreuzer was one I thought of as well, but Luenberger & Nicnat seem fairly agile for bigmen.
The Burger had Cordy's frame when he started too

jeemak
18-08-2012, 10:01 PM

He'll never be as agile as he was at the Draft Camp, though when his core strength catches up with the upper body weight/size he's built since arriving at the club he'll be able to move more easily.

Eastdog
07-07-2013, 01:17 AM
With our problems up forward did we make a mistake in delisting Matthew Panos. We never tried him in the team.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 01:23 AM
With our problems up forward did we make a mistake in delisting Matthew Panos. We never tried him in the team.
I seem to be pis.... In your pocket Eastdog, but agree again why recruit soneone abd let them go without ever playing them to see what hey have to offer

GVGjr
07-07-2013, 01:36 AM

You need to let this go Eastdog. He wasn't going to be a 30 game player in the senior level.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
You need to let this go Eastdog. He wasn't going to be a 30 game player in the senior level.

Agree. He has only kicked 20 goals this season in 11 games in the SA league. Less than 2 goals a game. Not sure of his exact position.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Agree. He has only kicked 20 goals this season in 11 games in the SA league. Less than 2 goals a game. Not sure of his exact position.
I'm not an authority, but I was a little surprised we picked him up to begin with.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm not an authority, but I was a little surprised we picked him up to begin with.

What I can remember BT he was rookie listed with us initially. He was the under 18 AA full forward I think so worth a rookie spot. Why he was upgraded and not played is a good question?

boydogs
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
He was the under 18 AA full forward I think so worth a rookie spot

Similar to Andrew Hooper - Larke medal for best player in the under 18 champs, overlooked in the draft and picked up by us a rookie but didn't come on. Two players which highlight the point that succeeding at junior level is a world away from succeeding at senior level.

Another would be Jaryd Cachia, who several years down the track has made a go of it with Carlton. So Panos is certainly one to keep an eye on still.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 09:04 PM

I haven't seen him play ED. Maybe one preseason game? In which he didn't do a lot. What did you see him do that impressed you so much? Genuine question because I have zero knowledge of the guy.

Eastdog
07-07-2013, 09:09 PM
I haven't seen him play ED. Maybe one preseason game? In which he didn't do a lot. What did you see him do that impressed you so much? Genuine question because I have zero knowledge of the guy.

Actually haven't seen him either HM but heard he was being talked up as a forward prospect for us with some of his performances for Willamstown. Lots of woofers thought he would eventually break in this season in the seniors.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Actually haven't seen him either HM but heard he was being talked up as a forward prospect for us with some of his performances for Willamstown. Lots of woofers thought he would eventually break in this season in the seniors.

You haven't seen him yet you keep posting that maybe he would be the one to be our FF, or you keep asking about him.

Just forget it he isnot up to AFL standard, the club made a massive mistake to up grade him, but a good decision to delist him.

Eastdog
07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
You haven't seen him yet you keep posting that maybe he would be the one to be our FF, or you keep asking about him.

Just forget it he isnot up to AFL standard, the club made a massive mistake to up grade him, but a good decision to delist him.

Have you seen him play BAD. If you did what did you make of him.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Have you seen him play BAD. If you did what did you make of him.

I already said, not up to AFL Standard.

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I can't believe this thread has even rated a mention. Matthew Panos seriously Eastdog move on, almost as good as the calls of Redpath at full forward from the Facebook page.

Eastdog
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
I can't believe this thread has even rated a mention. Matthew Panos seriously Eastdog move on, almost as good as the calls of Redpath at full forward from the Facebook page.

Fair enough SlimPickens. I think I'm like many Bulldog supporters desperate to a solution to our forward problems.

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Fair enough SlimPickens. I think I'm like many Bulldog supporters desperate to a solution to our forward problems.

Yes but bringing up a player who was not only delisted last year, basically did nothing to get a game at senior level bar a few performances is ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Yes but bringing up a player who was not only delisted last year, basically did nothing to get a game at senior level bar a few performances is ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Calm the farm a little Slim. To be fair to the EastDog he like me knows little about Panos and is just chasing info. He also is right, some posts last year were asking for Panos to get a run. I can't speak for EastDog, but I don't mind your and BAD blunt response Mat Panos = spud. Got it, let's move on.

bornadog
30-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Old Dog Panos hopes to be new pick

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-29/old-dog-new-pick

FORMER Western Bulldogs forward Matthew Panos is poised to re-enter the AFL system after transforming into a big-bodied midfielder and leading SANFL club Norwood to the 2014 premiership with a best-on-ground performance.

Panos, who spent 2010-2012 with the Bulldogs but played only six NAB Cup games, has attracted the interest of six clubs ahead of this year's draft and he will attend the South Australia state screening.

At 191cm and 90kg, the 23-year-old has modelled his game on Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury, Fremantle star Nat Fyfe and Sydney Swans onballer Josh Kennedy this year since changing his role.

The midfield move turned out to be a stroke of genius for Norwood, which won its third straight premiership on the back of Panos's game-high 28 possessions, 12 clearances and a goal.

It was a role change forced on the Redlegs after their midfield was gutted by retirements and delistings, with Matt Thomas (Richmond), James Aish (Brisbane Lions) and Mitch Grigg (Adelaide) among 12 premiership players to leave at the end of 2013.

"The coaches discussed putting Matt Panos into the midfield, which is something he had never done, but from game one it worked," Norwood football manager Mark Ross told AFL.com.au.

"There were aspects of it that made sense, because when your disposal is immaculate, you're six-foot-two, and you can catch it over your head you become a very big bonus in the midfield.

"Then there's his ability to win a clearance and get it off by hand or foot in the direction you want.

"He's got really clean hands, he's a beautiful kick and a good decision-maker, and they're three things that all recruiters look at."

Panos will attend the state screening on October 11, meaning at least two clubs have expressed interest in the former under-18 All Australian.

AFL.com.au understands premiers Hawthorn as well as the Sydney Swans, Collingwood, the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne have shown interest.

Port Adelaide is also believed to have inquired after watching Panos get the better of its own second-tier midfielders on multiple occasions this season, including the Grand Final.

The question marks on him are pace, troublesome hamstrings and his ability to cover the ground after running 11-12km in his better games this season.

"He'd want to get that up between 13 and 14km, but we were trying to protect him a little bit with him hamstrings," Ross said.

"He had a limited pre-season and some hamstring issues prevented him doing the full amount of training, but that's been fixed.

"At his sort of pace you need to be able to cover the ground pretty well, like Sam Mitchell, Josh Kennedy and these sorts of guys.

"But he's only had nine months as a midfielder so far, so he can certainly build on that."

A leader at Norwood and a popular player after two seasons, Panos's decision to try and launch his AFL return from the SANFL appears to have been a wise one given the League's strong record of producing mature-age recruits in recent seasons.

"We don't expect to have him here next year, but it's always hard to know what the AFL clubs are thinking," Ross said.

"They'll take an Irish bloke who can run 100 miles an hour but can't kick the ball, but they won't draft a bloke who can't run but can kick.

"We go by the method that ball movement is done by foot and hand, not by how quickly you run.

"You'd think he at least has a chance of being a rookie somewhere."

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Good luck to Matthew in the screening and draft. I really like players who dont give up.

Bulldog Revolution
30-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Im hoping he gets another shot also

Delightful kick of a footy, would be great to see him realise his dream

GVGjr
30-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Good guy and decent player. I hope he gets picked up

jeemak
30-09-2014, 01:53 PM
What was his running like off the mark and in bursts?

bornadog
30-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Good guy and decent player. I hope he gets picked up

Would you have him back?

westdog54
30-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Would you have him back?

If he didn't get drafted I'd have him as a rookie. Anyone who can go back to a state league and completely re-invent themselves as a footballer just to get another shot at the big time has got to be worth another chance.

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 02:36 PM
What was his running like off the mark and in bursts?

He's not very quick.

GVGjr
30-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Would you have him back?

Haven't seen him play but there might be a team or two willing to give him another go.

If he has improved his mobility he might offer a bit

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Toooo slooooow...............

KT31
30-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Im hoping he gets another shot also

Delightful kick of a footy, would be great to see him realise his dream

If he gets picked up by a top side like the Hawks or Swans and has remodeled his game at an SANFL side, is this indicative on our coaching staff and are we to single minded in what we perceive is in player positions ?

Rocket Science
30-09-2014, 07:08 PM
If he gets picked up by a top side like the Hawks or Swans and has remodeled his game at an SANFL side, is this indicative on our coaching staff and are we to single minded in what we perceive is in player positions ?

Supposedly his conversion from forward to mid was more happenstance than design, after Norwood's "midfield was gutted by retirements and delistings (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-29/old-dog-new-pick)".

He'd been a dedicated forward his entire career til that juncture and it's not hard to see why we'd be fanatical, maybe even blinkered, to harness a draftee's key forward credentials.

If he's so silky by foot, isn't that an element we're in dire need of? If so we'd be brave to ignore the growing pool of latter day lessons in blokes who eked their way to the top level via non traditional paths.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Anyone remember pick 42 last year!

Redleg with a good leg, doesn't guarantee success.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Panos on trade radio now