View Full Version : Match Preview Round 21 Dogs v Swans

Scraggers
17-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium 3.15pm

Head to Head: Bulldogs 77 Swans 73 drawn 1

Last clash:
Rd 10 2012 – Swans 20.12 (132) def Bulldogs 5.10 (40) at SCG

Sportsbet: Bulldogs $10.00 v Swans $1.05

Umpires C.Fleer (2), J.Mollison (32), J.Bannister (33), S.McBurney (3)

Western Bulldogs
Ins :- Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Shaun Higgins, Easton Wood, Ayce Cordy, Liam Jones, Lukas Markovic
Outs :- Ryan Hargrave (suspension), Jarrad Grant, Andrew Hooper, Justin Sherman.

Sydney
Ins :- Brett Meredith, Sam Reid, Matt Spangher, Mitch Morton
Outs :- Trent Dennis-Lane

Stats (from AFL website):-
Ave Points for :-
Western Bulldogs 69.6
Sydney Swans 102.6
Ave Points against :-
Western Bulldogs 99.9
Sydney Swans 70
Average Disposals :-
Western Bulldogs 366.8
Sydney Swans 368.2
Disposal Efficiency % :-
Western Bulldogs 72
Sydney Swans 72.68
Ave Tackles :-
Western Bulldogs 62.4
Sydney Swans 71.7

Match Ups:-
It’s no coincidence that all the match-ups I have chosen to discuss are of a defensive nature. The Dogs' have been deplorable after half-time in their past eight games (all losses), being outscored by 56 goals (81.48 to just 26.42). For us to stand even a glimmer of hope in this game, we must contain their forwards firstly, but also kick a score ourselves.

Jordan Roughead v Sam Reid
The Roughead experiment at fullback will be tested this week against the returning Sam Reid. As a lead up forward, Roughead will have to stick close to curtail Reid’s influence. This is a good match-up for us with Reid coming back off a knee injury likely to be lacking match fitness.

Easton Wood v Ryan O’Keefe
O’Keefe has been down in recent weeks with his goal kicking only kicking 14 for the season; but write him off at your peril. He is a very dangerous (and sometimes very damaging) footballer who is due for a big one. Easton Wood will do well to restrict his influence. This match-up could be a win for us, if Wood is able to play the attacking defender role.

Brian Lake v Lewis Roberts-Thompson
Roberts-Thompson is a ‘meat and two veg’ defensive footballer who has proved his versatility this season playing in ruck when Mumford went down earlier this year and the majority of the season up forward. His versatility will prove a handful for Lake especially with Shaggy out for a match suspended. I can see Murphy going to him at stages when Lake needs a rest.

Lukas Markovic v Adam Goodes
I chose Markovic for Goodes because I believe he is the only one of our defenders with the motor to go with him. Goodes had an average game last week against Collingwood … I expect him to put that game well behind him against us this week; its very rare for him to play two bad games in a row !! Markovic needs to stamp his influence early and limit Goodes touches … good luck with that.

Western Bulldogs
We keep blooding the youth of the team … positive !!
Virtually every player on the list has had a run … positive !!
We are getting flogged by 70+ points every game … negative !!

We continually hear about our contested possession, and the positive vibes and youthful influences; but getting flogged week-in week-out is having detrimental affects on our supporter base (just read WOOF for a sense the negativity) and despite what we are hearing from our leaders, it has to be having detrimental affects internally as well.
You would have to think that there are a few players, playing for their careers … with three games remaining, you would hope that they now realise this !! The 15th-placed Bulldogs have lost their past eight games by an average of 59 points but will continue to give opportunities to young players.

Sydney Swans
The Sydney Swans' nine-match winning streak was broken by Collingwood last Saturday night but the Swans still hold top spot by percentage from Adelaide and the Magpies. With stars like Adam Goodes and Lewis Jetta desperate to atone for sub-par performances, they will be hellbent on bouncing back in style. Another blowout looms, with the Swans eyeing their fourth consecutive victory over the Dogs in the first clash between the two clubs at Etihad Stadium.

Prediction
Again we will be very competitive for the first half (and most probably the last half of the fourth quarter). Sydney will run over us in the third … The Sydney Swans by 60 points

Greystache
17-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Great job Scraggers, thanks for making the effort.

SlimPickens
17-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks scraggers

The effort is certainly much appreciated. Looking forward to watching our young midfielders go up against in of the better midfield units in the AFL.

Agree with Marko on Goodes hopefully he can perform well. Goodesy hasn't been in the best form but it will still be a good test for Lukas.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium 3.15pm

Western Bulldogs
We keep blooding the youth of the team … positive !!
Virtually every player on the list has had a run … positive !!
We are getting flogged by 70+ points every game … negative !!

This made me laugh.:D

bornadog
17-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Scraggers for a great read. Can't disagree with anything you have said.

This will be my last game I attend this year as I won't be going to Geelong and Brissie, so hope they at least show something that I can hang my hat on for next year.