PDA

View Full Version : Round 21 Bankers and Anchors

westdog54
19-08-2012, 11:12 AM
This is the round 21 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Sydney is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

westdog54
19-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Bankers

Griffen: One man show in the midfield.
Addison: Kicked 4 goals and has absolutely pulled Shaw's pants down. Impressed.
JJ: Mentioned it in the game day thread, looks a very balanced footballer, very composed when he's taking the game on.

Smith and Jong get honourable mentions. Jong won 4 frees in the first quarter just by getting to the contest first and putting his head over the ball. Only O'Keefe has laid more tackles than Smith. O'Keefe has played 187 games. Smith has played 18.

Anchors

DJ: Dear God that was painful. Butchered most of the touches he got and terrible with his hands. Zero intensity. If he plays out the season I'll be furious.
Murphy: Of all the players on the list I think he's disappointed me the most this year. For a player of his quality I expect more from him. Kicking has been woeful the last couple of months.
Fitness. I'm sick of getting blown away late.

stefoid
19-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Who was JJ opposed to?

westdog54
19-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Who was JJ opposed to?

McGlynn, who had 14 touches and kicked 2 goals. JJ had 20 and kicked 1.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Bankers:
Addo - the new Matty Robbins?
JJ - pace and kicking
Griff - did shimmy

Anchors:
DJ - terrible disposal
Murph - terrible disposal

Mantis
19-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Bankers:

Griffen - best game he has played for a long time.
JJ - showed some poise, been impressive.
Jong - good 1st qtr.
Addison - did well on Shaw
Me - nice collect taking Sydney 60+ - I feel crap doing it, but that's what our season has become.

Anchors:

Murf & Boyd - poor ball use
DJ - exit stage right
Fitness - our usual 2nd half fadeout, except it started at the 10min of the 2nd qtr.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Bankers:

Griffen - fantastic game with 47 possessions a club record
Addison - 4 goals and looked really good up forward
Lin Jong - Really thought he showed a lot today and was courageous in that contest with those group of Swans players
Dickson - Really going to be a quality player for us

Anchors:

DJ
Skinner
Fitness levels - another 2nd half drop off which was very disappointing
Turnovers by some of our senior players really hurt us

giaco
19-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Bankers:

Leaving aside the obvious - Griff

Dickson - top game again
Smith - great attitude which makes me confident that he'll keep working and be a top player
Johannisen- really impressive, seems to have all the tools
Encouragement award to Wood. His first half on Goodes was terrific, had him covered in the one-on-one strength duels

Anchors:

Four guys stand out to me as being way off AFL standard at the moment. We're really playing the equivalent of a couple of players short with these guys in the side.

DJ
Markovic
Cordy
Skinner

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Bankers:
Griff
Smith
Addison

JJ unlucky

Anchors:

DJ
Skinner
Ability to run out games

GVGjr
19-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Bankers
Smith - Showed some signs today that he can play 4 solid quarters. I was impressed with his tackling ethic in what was an otherwise open game.

Minson - He was solid over the 4 quarters and provided some help for the defenders.

Addison - Keeps bobbing up with some strong efforts. Loved that chest mark when he worked him opponent under the ball.

Anchors
Djerrkura - Just can't get clean and quality possessions. He has the right blend of pace and toughness but it isn't clicking for him.

Skinner - He's been given a good run at it but he's not ready.

Cordy - Just isn't doing enough with the chances he has received.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Bankers
Smith - Showed some signs today that he can play 4 solid quarters. I was impressed with his tackling ethic in what was an otherwise open game.

Minson - He was solid over the 4 quarters and provided some help for the defenders.

Addison - Keeps bobbing up with some strong efforts. Loved that chest mark when he worked him opponent under the ball.

Anchors
Djerrkura - Just can't get clean and quality possessions. He has the right blend of pace and toughness but it isn't clicking for him.

Skinner - He's been given a good run at it but he's not ready.

Cordy - Just isn't doing enough with the chances he has received.

Bankers: First Half, Ryan Griffen outstanding. Tory Dickson, dangerous, Wood, nice job on Goodes for most of the game.

Anchors: Basic skill errors out of the back half killed us.

westbulldog
19-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Bankers
Griffin - all of the acclaimed sydney midfield runners could not stop him.
Addison - this guy puts his head down and perseveres and the results are paying off.
Dickson -lays tackles, kicks goals, has become a valuable player and will be even better next year.

Anchors
Cordy - what a pity, subbed off after minimal input.
Djerrkura - doesn't appear up to the task.
Skinner - has again failed to have any impact.

bornadog
19-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Bankers

Griffen, 47 disposals is no mean feat, tried to do it all on his own

Dickson and Addison - some very good goals

The teenagers - Smith, great 4 quarters, Jong 9 disposals in the first quarter - not bad for a second gamer, and JJ - he is fast, can kick and cool under pressure - upgrade him for 2013.

Anchors

Cordy - Just not ready

DJ - Why is he in the seniors? Runs into an open goal and can't kick it? Fumble fumble fumble.

Turnovers by senior players - Boyd, Murphy, Markovic - they kill you at crucial times.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Bankers

Griffen, 47 disposals is no mean feat, tried to do it all on his own

Dickson and Addison - some very good goals

The teenagers - Smith, great 4 quarters, Jong 9 disposals in the first quarter - not bad for a second gamer, and JJ - he is fast, can kick and cool under pressure - upgrade him for 2013.

Anchors

Cordy - Just not ready

DJ - Why is he in the seniors? Runs into an open goal and can't kick it? Fumble fumble fumble.

Turnovers by senior players - Boyd, Murphy, Markovic - they kill you at crucial times.

Not just that. They were quality disposals, pinpoint kicks and well placed hand passes.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Not just that. They were quality disposals, pinpoint kicks and well placed hand passes.

It was good seeing him really have a great game today because lately he hasn't been at his best. He is a star player and in my opinion up there with some of the top midfielders in the league.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 09:54 PM
It was good seeing him really have a great game today because lately he hasn't been at his best. He is a star player and in my opinion up there with some of the top midfielders in the league.

Yeah. Swans were sh** themselves for a while. Ryan walked all over their midfield today. Longmire must be livid.

AndrewP6
19-08-2012, 10:12 PM
B
Griffen - worth the price of admission today.
DFA - who'd have thought he'd be one of our leading forwards.!
Jong/Smith - both deserve credit, they've slotted in very well.

A
Skinner/DJ - Like them both, but just not up to it. DJ looks great, right up until the ball comes near. Skinner has a nice leap, but not much else.

Senior 'leaders' letting us down. Howlers from Murph and Boyd do nothing for our cause.

Greystache
19-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Anchors

Griffen- A standout

1st year players- Smith, Jong, and JJ all showed a bit in a pretty poor effort.

Dickson and Addison- Both applying strong defensive pressure and hitting the scoreboard, they're working well together.

Anchors

DJ- Just isn't an AFL footballer, stamp his papers

Cordy- Not ready, not really even close

Murphy and Boyd- 2 senior players and 2 of our poorer users of the ball this year.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Bankers
Griff - sensational effort
Minson - most consistent player of the year.

Plenty of good signs from the younger brigade.

Anchors
2nd half fadeouts just get monotonous.
Nathan Fumblekurra - why do we keep giving a game to someone who just cannot handle a football.

Ozza
20-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Bankers:

Johannisen - really impressed with his poise and decision making.
Griffen - obviously
Addison - made his opportunities count.
Dickson - smart footballer.
Jong - real hard footballer. Throws himself into everything.

Anchors:

Cordy and Djerkerra - could possibly be investigated for tanking.
Boyd and Murphy - not enough care with their disposal.
Markovic - his endeavour is good, but manages to put in 3 or 4 woeful efforts or complete blunders per game that cost goals. Is a battler.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Bankers:

Griffen: outstanding individual performance, especially given the margin. Never gave in.
Addison: did a very good job on Shaw (especially in the first half) and kicked 4 himself.
Picken: shutting out Jetta in such a lopsided game is no mean feat.

Anchors:

Djerrkura: the less said the better...
Skinner: 8 touches and 0 tackles, see above.
Cordy: hate to put him here but just didn't affect the game whatsoever.