PDA

View Full Version : Cooney

Maddog37
19-08-2012, 08:28 PM
What did today tell us?

I get the impression the last couple of weeks are all about testing if he should go on next year.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 08:35 PM
What did today tell us?

I get the impression the last couple of weeks are all about testing if he should go on next year.

If we do keep him on I reckon we should play him more in a forward role. With his knees the way they are I don't think playing him in the midfield would benefit him as there is a lot of running involved. I don't want to see him give it up yet.

Mantis
19-08-2012, 08:37 PM
If we do keep him on I reckon we should play him more in a forward role.

Do you not watch our games?

He has spent most of his playing time this year up forward.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Do you not watch our games?

He has spent most of his playing time this year up forward.

Of course I watch the games Mantis. Im just saying that this should be his role in the team and we shouldn't change that.

Hotdog60
19-08-2012, 08:41 PM
It's going to be a tough call on Cooney, I would almost put him as a permanent sub and hope we don't get an early injury.
With his knee gone west he is missing too much football to keep his fitness and skills up. Maybe playing half a game or just a quarter could be the best management other than saying goodbye.

PedroArvy
19-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Isn't it 100% obvious he has to go? He's a playing cripple whose injury only offers further debilitation. A great bloke but adios amigos from me.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 08:42 PM
No point in keeping him as its only getting worse and by the time list is rebuilt he will be totally gone. Like watching a boxer who has had one two many bouts. Needs to honest with himself.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 08:45 PM
It's going to be a tough call on Cooney, I would almost put him as a permanent sub and hope we don't get an early injury.
With his knee gone west he is missing too much football to keep his fitness and skills up. Maybe playing half a game or just a quarter could be the best management other than saying goodbye.

If he doesn't go this may well be the best option for him. It's a real shame for Cooney as a couple of years ago he was a great player in our team.

Maddog37
19-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Unless there is a medical remedy on the horizon I would suggest he is finished.

GVGjr
19-08-2012, 08:52 PM
No point in keeping him as its only getting worse and by the time list is rebuilt he will be totally gone. Like watching a boxer who has had one two many bouts. Needs to honest with himself.

I can see why people think that but I do believe he can get back to a reasonable standard.
As long as he has a contract I suspect he will be at the club.

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 08:52 PM
If we do keep him on I reckon we should play him more in a forward role. With his knees the way they are I don't think playing him in the midfield would benefit him as there is a lot of running involved. I don't want to see him give it up yet.

Does he have a problem with both!?
Bugger me, I thought it was only the one. This is getting worse every week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Cooney's value to the team is in the midfield where he has always done his best work. I see little value in playing him as a permanent forward. I personally felt we erred today in not bringing him on earlier to at least see if his injury is manageable for longer periods.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Does he have a problem with both!?
Bugger me, I thought it was only the one. This is getting worse every week.

Apparently Ive heard can't confirm that his had problems with both knees but if anyone knows more about that they can clarify.

Mantis
19-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Apparently Ive heard can't confirm that his had problems with both knees but if anyone knows more about that they can clarify.

It's only one knee that's rooted...

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Cooney with one leg is better than DJ, Skinner, sherman etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I can see why people think that but I do believe he can get back to a reasonable standard.
As long as he has a contract I suspect he will be at the club.

It's the only thing that will save him.

He won't be here in two years.

Sedat
20-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Permanent forward doesn't cut it for me. He needs to be part of the midfield rotations with short stints up forward. If his body cannot stand the rigours of that then unfortunately it is a great career cut short in its prime. Really not sure what the value is of playing him for the last couple of games this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2012, 01:09 AM
I have no idea if he has any ambitions to coach (or the ability), but it could be an option for us to push towards him. Develop him as a midfield/stoppage coach, working with the young mids.

Might take some time/resources to develop him as a coach, but his knowledge could be useful for mids -- particularly those of similar ilk who spread from the contest.

gohardorgohome
20-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm reasonably sure that Cooney is contracted for next year. We need to do,what we can to get a him right.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Permanent forward doesn't cut it for me. He needs to be part of the midfield rotations with short stints up forward. If his body cannot stand the rigours of that then unfortunately it is a great career cut short in its prime. Really not sure what the value is of playing him for the last couple of games this season.

Certain players in the AFL have been given instructions on how to run, to minimize the impact of their injuries. Rioli reported to have spent the preseason practicing running using shorter steps to minimize hamstring issues. Adam is great at standing up in tackles, and using his body strength. I'm fairly sure he can do as well as Boyd or Cross, with some modifications to his game. It's when he tries to do what he used to that he's going to run into trouble.

Mantis
20-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Certain players in the AFL have been given instructions on how to run, to minimize the impact of their injuries. Rioli reported to have spent the preseason practicing running using shorter steps to minimize hamstring issues. Adam is great at standing up in tackles, and using his body strength. I'm fairly sure he can do as well as Boyd or Cross, with some modifications to his game. It's when he tries to do what he used to that he's going to run into trouble.

Adam's biggest problem is that he can't train because he pulls up lame so can't improve his aerobic fitness... The 2 players mentioned set the standard on the track in terms of work ethic and the amount of ground they cover on game day so I'm not sure how what has been stated here is relevant.

And his problem is completely different to Rioli's.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I still can't believe we even played him this week. Seriously what was the point?

To try and get more supporters to the game?

LongWait
20-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I still can't believe we even played him this week. Seriously what was the point?

To try and get more supporters to the game?

The club suggested he put the cue in the rack for the season but he told the media he wanted to play the remaining games this season.

westdog54
20-08-2012, 01:05 PM
The club suggested he put the cue in the rack for the season but he told the media he wanted to play the remaining games this season.

Why is what he wants even a consideration. Surely the Match Committee have an overriding responsibility to a) Make selction decisions in Adam's best interest; and b) Make the right call for the club, both at the time and going forward? If they think that he should be put on ice for the rest of the year then that's what should bloody well happen. By all means seek his opinion but the final decision surely needs to be with the selectors.

LongWait
20-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Why is what he wants even a consideration. Surely the Match Committee have an overriding responsibility to a) Make selction decisions in Adam's best interest; and b) Make the right call for the club, both at the time and going forward? If they think that he should be put on ice for the rest of the year then that's what should bloody well happen. By all means seek his opinion but the final decision surely needs to be with the selectors.

I'm pretty sure that Cooney doesn't have veto rights over the MC's selections. He must have convinced the MC that he should play and when they agreed he then told the media that he wanted to play the season out.

stefoid
20-08-2012, 01:13 PM
You might play him for our last home game of the season if player and club were coming to some sort of decision.

LongWait
20-08-2012, 01:42 PM
You might play him for our last home game of the season if player and club were coming to some sort of decision.

Agree. I'm just reporting what the AFL website and a couple of journos have reported, so I have no idea whether he should have played on the weekend. I don't think any of us knows enough about Cooneys' knee to make the call. Perhaps Adam and the club got it wrong - I suspect they did.

Greystache
20-08-2012, 01:50 PM

I understand the thought behind putting him on ice, but the reality is Cooney plays a couple of games, his knee blows up, and then he needs to miss between 2-6 matches for it te settle down. Rinse and repeat. Putting him on ice for the last 3 games won't make any difference to his knee being any better at round 4 next year than it would be if he plays the last 3 games this year.

His issue isn't one that's going to get better with rest, managing it is our only option. He's a professional footballer and wants to play, if he's right to play at the moment I don't see the point in not playing him.

Ozza
20-08-2012, 03:56 PM
How long does Cooney have on his contract?

Its pretty sad to sit and watch him/his situation.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 04:04 PM
How long does Cooney have on his contract?

Its pretty sad to sit and watch him/his situation.

One year to run, I understand that the club is looking all over the world for solutions to his knee. There are some radical procedures but will they work and is it worth the try. I mean really if they can get his knee to even 50% and play him in the second half of games, become a super sub that would be awesome, fresh legs, Cooney's legs breaking packs in the second half would be great.

Sadly I dont think that will happen, I think they may just play out his contract and let him slip away. Such a great player to fade so early due to injury, not the first and wont be the last.

BulldogBelle
20-08-2012, 04:07 PM
... Such a damn shame that Cooney has to go out like this. Surely all medical options have been exhausted, as this injury has now been with him for 4 years (since the end of 08'). The club wouldn't be so unprofessional as to not have turned over every stone in trying to find a medical solution for his knee.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the smart business decision is to pay him out his last year on his contract and free up a spot for a draft pick in 2013.

I also suspect the insistence (on Cooney's part) to play out the season may have been accepted by the match committee conditionally. By this I mean, he may be playing out the last few games to see if he will go on next year all together.

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 04:46 PM
... Such a damn shame that Cooney has to go out like this. Surely all medical options have been exhausted, as this injury has now been with him for 4 years (since the end of 08'). The club wouldn't be so unprofessional as to not have turned over every stone in trying to find a medical solution for his knee.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the smart business decision is to pay him out his last year on his contract and free up a spot for a draft pick in 2013.

I also suspect the insistence (on Cooney's part) to play out the season may have been accepted by the match committee conditionally. By this I mean, he may be playing out the last few games to see if he will go on next year all together.

I hope that is the case barring some medical miracle.