PDA

View Full Version : Ayce Cordy

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 08:54 PM
A thread about Ayce Cordy. What role do we see him play in the side. Some posters say he is a bit like Cameron Wight was and he eventually got delisted. A back up to Minson who has had a great season.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2012, 09:04 PM
A thread about Ayce Cordy. What role do we see him play in the side. Some posters say he is a bit like Cameron Wight was and he eventually got delisted. A back up to Minson who has had a great season.

Cordy was terrible again today whether playing forward or in the ruck. Campbell looks a lot better as a second string ruckman to Minson.
I would seriously consider trading Cordy who hasn't really improved this year.

Eastdog
19-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Cordy was terrible again today whether playing forward or in the ruck. Campbell looks a lot better as a second string ruckman to Minson.
I would seriously consider trading Cordy who hasn't really improved this year.

Agree NBP. I really think his place in the side is in trouble. Who would we get for him though as I don't think his worth too much based on his performances at present.

SonofScray
19-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Don't think Cordy is going to make it, unfortunately. Not seeing much in terms of a bag of tricks, or any real ability to grit his teeth and give a bit extra to win the footy from an adverse situation.

The good is much too far a few between, the bad is really bad.

bornadog
19-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Lake had the ball about 60 metres out on the boundary and all Ayce was doing was standing in the goal square. I was on level 2 and yelled out for gods sake Cordy lead, but he just stood there. Lake was never going to kiik that ball 60 metres.

He doesn't know know how to play the forward role. I would prefer he be coached into a ruck role, resting forward. He will not be a KPF.

GVGjr
19-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Don't think Cordy is going to make it, unfortunately. Not seeing much in terms of a bag of tricks, or any real ability to grit his teeth and give a bit extra to win the footy from an adverse situation.

The good is much too far a few between, the bad is really bad.

He's made a huge step forward this year but still isn't near where we need him to be.
I have my doubts that he can improve enough.

Maddog37
19-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Too early to tell still.

No improvement next year and it is bye bye though.

MrMahatma
19-08-2012, 09:23 PM
He's how old?

And how tall?

Minson took 10 yrs to get to where he is today as a ruck. How many key forwards kill it in their first full season? How many are 200+ cm?

Bit harsh here I reckon. Loads of time left to prove himself.

dog town
19-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Reminds me a little bit of Andrew McDougall.

Rance Fan
19-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Seems a way off, but I thought Wallis wasnt going to be any good after last years effort.
Thankfully he has been great this year, and stepped up!

So theres still hope, happy to wait till he is 25 yrs old

Bulldog4life
19-08-2012, 09:26 PM
He's how old?

And how tall?

Minson took 10 yrs to get to where he is today as a ruck. How many key forwards kill it in their first full season? How many are 200+ cm?

Bit harsh here I reckon. Loads of time left to prove himself.

Ditto

LostDoggy
19-08-2012, 09:28 PM
He will play more in the ruck next year and we'll see what he's made of, most young ruckman struggle, especially in the current game, where most teams just let one ruckman ruck most of the game.

Mantis
19-08-2012, 09:31 PM
He will play more in the ruck next year and we'll see what he's made of, most young ruckman struggle, especially in the current game, where most teams just let one ruckman ruck most of the game.

We could say the same if we added in the names of Roughead & Campbell... we clearly can't keep them all if we re-sign Minson.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Too early to tell still.

The commentary team were all over Minson today. Re-wind a few years ago and he was the dumbest smart bloke in the AFL, a regular Anchor on the forums and so on.
Big blokes just take time.

bornadog
19-08-2012, 09:49 PM
The commentary team were all over Minson today. Re-wind a few years ago and he was the dumbest smart bloke in the AFL, a regular Anchor on the forums and so on.

Minson showed more potential than Cordy has in his first 14 games.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Minson showed more potential than Cordy has in his first 14 games.

But a Ruck just has one main objective. Being a KPP is far more complex.

Maddog37
19-08-2012, 09:57 PM

I only want to see improvement, not an instant evolution.

The Pie Man
19-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Too early to tell still.

Might be a bit to pay out if he was to go at the close of 2013...he was given 3 years

:(

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2012, 10:58 PM
He has improved, but like I said before he even got drafted, I never rated him.

It would be a surprise if he made it, but we just re-signed him for 3 years didn't we?

bornadog
19-08-2012, 11:51 PM
But a Ruck just has one main objective. Being a KPP is far more complex.

But Cordy has shown zero as a KPP.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2012, 12:38 AM
But Cordy has shown zero as a KPP.

Well, of course. He has L plates on for sure.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I think we need to be patient. Tom Hawkins is now close to 100 games and it is only really the last 20 or so that he has made an impact.

The Pie Man
20-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I think we need to be patient. Tom Hawkins is now close to 100 games and it is only really the last 20 or so that he has made an impact.

True, but I don't feel it applies to Cordy - apply that reasoning to Liam Jones.

Cordy just won't make it as a FF/part time ruck.

GVGjr
20-08-2012, 07:43 PM

I think we have been patient with him. Granted he needs another season but I'd want to see some improvement in him in another 12 months.

Is he a forward or a ruckman?

bornadog
20-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I think we have been patient with him. Granted he needs another season but I'd want to see some improvement in him in another 12 months.

Ruckman, can't see any forward attributes in him.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2012, 08:28 PM

I see a problem in the coaching. He is being played forward but refuses to lead. Surely someone in the coaching group should be at him to move and create an option.

This is clearly not happening as he would not (should not) get games if he was ignoring instructions.

LongWait
20-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I see a problem in the coaching. He is being played forward but refuses to lead. Surely someone in the coaching group should be at him to move and create an option.

This is clearly not happening as he would not (should not) get games if he was ignoring instructions.

He did get subbed off when he was far from the only contender for that ignomy. Didn't look happy on the pine either. I think Ayce might have got a kick in the arse.

MrMahatma
20-08-2012, 09:50 PM

He's only played 14 games...

w3design
20-08-2012, 10:42 PM
It's early days, agreed, but what troubles me is that he has such long periods of a game where he is completely uninvolved. I don't know where to find his average stats but I wonder how often Ayce has got in double figures. I guess he's missed so much footy that you've got to have hope but to be blunt, there is nothing that makes me think he can make it, apart from his height!

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 10:43 PM
The club spoke about Cordy alot, pumped him up to be a God....well very disapointed in what I see,every time he gets the ball...which is not very often... he muffs it. Liability I think.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2012, 11:24 PM
The club spoke about Cordy alot, pumped him up to be a God....well very disapointed in what I see,every time he gets the ball...which is not very often... he muffs it. Liability I think.

Really? Rough Diamond was the best description I ever heard.

jeemak
21-08-2012, 01:14 AM
For mine, he's another player who was clearly under-developed when coming to the club, and has had multiple injuries since arriving only putting him further back from where he started.

If we had any decent forwards to hold that area of the ground together he'd be learning his craft at Williamstown, but because of our list issues he's being exposed at the highest level, against mature bodies who know their craft.

Cordy isn't going to be our power forward, nor is he going to be our first ruck. Instead, he's going to be the pinch hit ruckman that can kick two or so goals a game consistently, and history shows that in sides that are well balanced these guys are worth their weight in gold.

I find it laughable how many people are willing to write such a raw player off after 14 senior games. Especially once again, considering how bloody difficult it must be for such a novice to have to play in a side that can't move the ball on quickly or kick the ball to advantage.

I agree that Ayce played an ordinary game on Sunday. But, the only goal he kicked came when he got in front of his opponent and the ball was delivered in quickly. Irrespective of whether he deserved a free kick on the basis of being nudeged under the ball, he'll more often than not under those circumstances have either a very good chance of marking the ball, or being awarded a free kick.

Is it any surprise, that the only players that have made a reasonable impact on our scoreboard this year have been Dickson, Giansiracusa and Higgins? These guys are natural and crafty forwards, that haven't had to play on two or three defenders in the air, and have been able to apply their high level of nouse to get by.

Give the guy time to acclimatise to the game, and the change in shape his body has taken over the last two years. Also understand, that if he keeps getting games whilst not leading towards the ball carrier week in week out, it might just be that he's acting under instruction and the coaching staff feel that he'll develop further at this point in time by holding his position and learning to contest body on body rather than leading at the ball carrier.

Mantis
21-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree that Ayce played an ordinary game on Sunday. But, the only goal he kicked came when he got in front of his opponent and the ball was delivered in quickly. Irrespective of whether he deserved a free kick on the basis of being nudeged under the ball, he'll more often than not under those circumstances have either a very good chance of marking the ball, or being awarded a free kick.

There was a 6 inch height difference in this contest. When matched up against a more 'like' player he was a non-factor.

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 10:10 AM
There was a 6 inch height difference in this contest. When matched up against a more 'like' player he was a non-factor.

Mantis do you remember the North Game? I think he was against Ferrito or someone of the same height. He monstered him off the ball, great core strength, then marked it.

jeemak
21-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Do you think he will remain the same after 75 games, when we're able to move the ball better or is he as good as he is going to get?

By the way, isn't that the point behind drafting people that are 200cm tall and have athletic ability?

stefoid
21-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Give the guy time to acclimatise to the game, and the change in shape his body has taken over the last two years. Also understand, that if he keeps getting games whilst not leading towards the ball carrier week in week out, it might just be that he's acting under instruction and the coaching staff feel that he'll develop further at this point in time by holding his position and learning to contest body on body rather than leading at the ball carrier.

This is an interesting observation. Leading into space to recieve the ball is footy 101 stuff. During this development year we are all about contested footy, maybe that includes contesting the long ball? In the gym every other day, but running out of puff in the second half.

Hopefully ball and player movement comes next year. And fitness.

Perhaps what we will see next preseason instead of endless contests for the loose ball in between bouts of wrestling, it will be endless hard running and end to end drills resulting in kicking to leading forwads?

Just a hunch.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2012, 11:16 AM
It is bordering on the insane to write off a tall player like Ayce after 14 games. Not sure if he'll turn out to be a key forward or ruckman but gee it is such early days yet.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2012, 11:36 AM
This is an interesting observation. Leading into space to recieve the ball is footy 101 stuff.

We move the ball so slowly that by the time he needs to lead he can't take 3 steps without running into someone else's arse.

Mofra
21-08-2012, 12:45 PM
This is an interesting observation. Leading into space to recieve the ball is footy 101 stuff. During this development year we are all about contested footy, maybe that includes contesting the long ball? In the gym every other day, but running out of puff in the second half.

Hopefully ball and player movement comes next year. And fitness.

Perhaps what we will see next preseason instead of endless contests for the loose ball in between bouts of wrestling, it will be endless hard running and end to end drills resulting in kicking to leading forwads?

Just a hunch.
In his first season, he played as a mobiel CHF/HFF a few times as Willy and I remember him leading hard - you could be onto something here.
B-Mac clearly seems to be coaching to instruction. IIRC Eade's one on one defence in his first season leaked goals but proved fruitful in later years, hopefully B-Mac is implementing something similar in certain aspects of player behaviour.

bornadog
21-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Mantis do you remember the North Game? I think he was against Ferrito or someone of the same height. He monstered him off the ball, great core strength, then marked it.

Firrito is 12 cm shorter than Cordy

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 01:56 PM

I can't remember who it was, but Cordy can contest and use his body. He can wrestle, and I'm confident he'll be a good forward option for us.

Mantis
21-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Do you think he will remain the same after 75 games, when we're able to move the ball better or is he as good as he is going to get?

I would like to think he will improve, as we improve, but it isn't a given that both will occur.

By the way, isn't that the point behind drafting people that are 200cm tall and have athletic ability?

As he has filled out he isn't as agile as he once was,... hopefully as he matures he will re-discover the athletic properties that made him a highly regarded player.

Remi Moses
21-08-2012, 02:27 PM
It is bordering on the insane to write off a tall player like Ayce after 14 games. Not sure if he'll turn out to be a key forward or ruckman but gee it is such early days yet.

Couldn't agree more! It's getting so Big Footy on here it's insane!
Far to early to call, and for every Mcdougall there's a bloke like Hansen at North( who every North fan wanted out ) . :rolleyes:

bornadog
21-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Couldn't agree more! It's getting so Big Footy on here it's insane!
Far to early to call, and for every Mcdougall there's a bloke like Hansen at North( who every North fan wanted out ) . :rolleyes:

If you saw him play on Sunday you would think he has gone backwards. 3 disposals in a half of footy is no progress.

LostDoggy
21-08-2012, 03:29 PM
All young players are inconsistent and that especially goes for tall players. Ayce has also showed some good signs early in the year so I'd be a little hesitant to write him off just yet because he's not playing like Dean Cox!

Mofra
21-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Hudson was still playing for Upper Combucta Wests 3rd Mixed team at the same age as Ayce currently is.

I don't know a key forward in the competition who would thrive with the way we bring the ball into our F50.

I happy to give Ayce a chance considering he has missed so much development time already through injury.

MrMahatma
21-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Most people are...

bornadog
21-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Most people are...

some of us almost 30cm:D

Remi Moses
21-08-2012, 11:57 PM
If you saw him play on Sunday you would think he has gone backwards. 3 disposals in a half of footy is no progress.

Obviously a dirty day.
I'm just saying it's an early call some are making on his career prospects.
Seeing him play at Williamstown I reckon he's a ruck who can play forward.
We're all pissed off how poorly they're playing, and nobody accepts the crap being dished up.
Some judgements on some players prospects are to premature for mine

Dazza
23-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Early days still but...

I've got concerns about his ability as a ruckman... and as a forward. I'd be less worried about him being ok as a forward if he didn't fluff his kicks at goal so often.