PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs pair to retire

bornadog
20-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145079/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_TR250112LC14copy.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/download-2.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs veterans Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee will announce their retirements on Tuesday.

The two 200-game defenders informed their teammates of their decision late last week.

The Bulldogs are still working through the best way to provide a fitting farewell for the popular pair, with Hargrave serving a one-match suspension on the weekend and Gilbee too sore to play either of the Dogs' remaining two games.

Earlier in the season both players had expressed a desire to play on, but this appeared increasingly unlikely as the season progressed.

Both are 31 years old (Gilbee is just 18 days older than Hargrave) and have battled injuries in the past two seasons, and the rebuilding Bulldogs are developing promising youngsters Easton Wood, Christian Howard and Fletcher Roberts to fill their void.

Both men have given terrific service to the Bulldogs after being part of the superb draft class of 1999, which supplied the Dogs with Robert Murphy (selection No.13), Daniel Giansiracusa (32), Mitch Hahn (37), Gilbee (43) and Hargrave (66).

Gilbee and Hargrave were constants in the Bulldogs' defence for the best part of a decade and were highly valued members of the sides that played off in three successive preliminary finals from 2008-10 - a period in which both averaged 21 disposals and missed just six games between them.

Gilbee - who played 206 games to Hargrave's 203 - was the more decorated player of the pair, finishing third in the Dogs' 2005 best and fairest, being named an All Australian the following year and playing in two International Rules Series.

A defensive playmaker, Gilbee was the Bulldogs' longtime designated kicker, penetrating and precise by foot - a skill that was enhanced by razor-sharp decision-making.

Hargrave made his debut as a skinny 20-year-old in 2002 but developed into a superb athlete at 190cmsand 87kgs. A genuine dasher from the back half, he was blessed with great courage and a sense of adventure to take the game on. He was a nominee for the All Australian team in 2009.

Keep an eye on AFL.com.au for an exclusive interview with both Hargrave and Gilbee.

Ozza
20-08-2012, 12:44 PM
I think this is probably a relief for Bulldogs supporters. These guys have been great clubman with outstanding careers (I think 13th and 14th in the all time games) - and it would have been a shame for them to push on and struggle as they have done this year and last.

Well done on great careers Shaggy and Gilbs.

bornadog
20-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Great servants of the club at full flight, wish them all the best in retirement.

choconmientay
20-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I wish both of them all the best. Hopefully the club can create a coaching position where Gilbee can stay with us and work with the young guys (and some of the older guys too) on our kicking skill.

azabob
20-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Congrats to both. Hargrave was hard at it and never took a backward step. Extremely underrated outside of the club.

Gilbee played some brilliant footy especially during Rockets period.

Both will of their different skill sets will be missed.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Great players for our club. 200+ games is no mean feat and I wish them both well in the future. How time flies ...

angelopetraglia
20-08-2012, 01:27 PM
End of an era with the 1999 boys all getting to the end of their careers. Both huge servants of the club.

Loved watching them both play for different reasons.

Gilbee's ability to hit a target and penetrate with his kicking when on song was a pleasure to watch.

Shaggy was often asked to play on bigger and stronger opponents over his career and always gave a contest. He was so important to our team in the prelim years.

GVGjr
20-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Great servants of the club at full flight, wish them all the best in retirement.

Fully agree. The class of 1999 thins by two quality guys.
This only leaves us with Murphy and Giansiracusa.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Loved Shaggy. Know it's for the best, but still very sad to see him hang up the boots.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Two terrific club-men and would love to see them remain involved with the Club in some capacity going forward.

Mantis
20-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Both have been great servants of the club.... Well done on some damn fine careers.

For as good a kick as Gilbs was, and he was bloody elite, the shank in the '09 PF still gives me nightmares.

Bulldog Revolution
20-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Well said

Absolutely loved Gilbee as a player, underrated spoiler, and a superb kick

Hargrave a very fine kick also

They've lived all of our dreams bar one

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Fantastic Bulldog players both of them. not sure if they were pushed or jumped but it is a tick for the list management. Love the way Shaggy never took a backward step and really admired Lindsay the way he handled his fathers passing.

I hope Gia follows suit.
I know I will cop it for that but if I have learned anything over the last few seasons it is that it is better to finish too early than too late.......

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Both have been great servants of the club.... Well done on some damn fine careers.

For as good a kick as Gilbs was, and he was bloody elite, the shank in the '09 PF still gives me nightmares.

Seconded.

I enjoyed watching both of their careers unfold. It doesn't feel like too long ago when they both started playing really good football around 05/06. I still remember the 06 EF when Gia handballed to Gilbee who goaled from 55m -- great roar from the crowd.

Always had a soft spot for Hargrave who overcame adversity to carve out a really good career. Underrated somewhat by those outside the club. His 2009 year was superb.

That miss by Gilbee in the 09 PF really does play over in my mind regularly. I think about it at least a couple times a week. Nevertheless, both great servants of the club.

Wish them all the best.

chef
20-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Sad news.

Thanks for the memories guys.

Greystache
20-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Great careers

Gilbee in particular from 2005-2009 was a star. His ability to defend against taller opponents and use the ball by foot to the team's advantage was elite. His decision making ability was a standout.

Remi Moses
20-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Well done on two great careers. Hargrave played out of his weight division on occassions, and Gilbee's kicking just sublime in that 05 to 09 period

EasternWest
20-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I think this is probably a relief for Bulldogs supporters. These guys have been great clubman with outstanding careers (I think 13th and 14th in the all time games) - and it would have been a shame for them to push on and struggle as they have done this year and last.

Well done on great careers Shaggy and Gilbs.

Nice one. My sentiments also.

Gee that 99 draft was bloody good to us.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Gilbee - an elite kick

Hargrave - an elite left hook

Both enjoyed terrific careers

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Love these two, sad to see them go, but obviously it's time.
Thanks guys, have loved watching you play over the years.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 05:55 PM
im going to miss both these guys. Especailly Gilbee :( i named my dog after him. Both great servents of the clubs. All the best guys!

bornadog
20-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Lindsay Gilbee goal kicking master class

UV6A2CzSKmA

and who can ever forget:

NRabQKD2ySo

WBFC4FFC
20-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Love the kiss by Eagleton at the end.

Great players who deserve all the accolades. Thanks for the memories and hope the next stage of life treats you just as well.

MrMahatma
20-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Well done boys. Massive achievements - 200+.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Congrats guys. 200 games is a great effort. Enjoyed watching both of you play.

AndrewP6
20-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Sad but inevitable. Thanks for the memories Gilbs and Shaggy. Two great clubmen, Bulldogs through and through, all the very best to both fellas.

Eastdog
20-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Linsday Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave have been great players for our club for many years. Well done to both of them on getting to over 200 games which is a great achievement.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Congratulations to both Ryan and Lindsay for their terrific careers, one club players who were key to our successes during the 2006-2010 period. Wish them all the best for the future.

Sedat
20-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Always had a soft spot for Hargrave who overcame adversity to carve out a really good career. Underrated somewhat by those outside the club. His 2009 year was superb.On every conceivable statistical measurement, Shaggy's 2009 season was vastly superior to Nick Maxwell. Alas the Collingwood media cheer squad made sure Maxwell got his AA.

Well done Gilbs and Shaggy on superb careers. They were both going nowhere until Rocket's arrival, and he certainly got maximum performance out of both.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for posting those Gilbee videos BAD. Brian Taylor would always bang on that he taught Gilbee how to kick - and it seems that it's true!

bornadog
20-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for posting those Gilbee videos BAD. Brian Taylor would always bang on that he taught Gilbee how to kick - and it seems that it's true!

Wasn't Brian our forward coach for awhile there in the early 2000's?

jeemak
21-08-2012, 01:32 AM
On every conceivable statistical measurement, Shaggy's 2009 season was vastly superior to Nick Maxwell. Alas the Collingwood media cheer squad made sure Maxwell got his AA.

Well done Gilbs and Shaggy on superb careers. They were both going nowhere until Rocket's arrival, and he certainly got maximum performance out of both.

He was exceptional in 2009, and I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Gilbee was just an amazing player, with his ability to balance defense with offense and severely damage the opposition with his superior skill level and decision making. He should be retained as a skills and development coach if that's what he wants to do.

Shaggy was an extremely versatile player that had a level of mongrel that could genuinely intimidate the opposition. He also was a fantastic reader of the ball and made roles played by Lake and Morris so much easier for them due to his ability to provide a chop out when required. If any of our mid-sized up and coming defenders can provide his level of support in coming years we'll have a solid leg up towards a very good back six.

Well done guys, 200 games for the red, white and blue is an outstanding effort, and we will always remember your contributions.

azabob
21-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Wasn't Brian our forward coach for awhile there in the early 2000's?

He was, not sure of the era though.

KT31
21-08-2012, 10:56 AM

I remember hearing Gilb's attributing his kicking to his Dad.

LostDoggy
21-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Sad news to see two of our great clubmen and veritable backbone of our team hang up their boots. So many great memories, Lindsay's superb kicking skills and Shaggy's ability to play small or tall week in and week out! The pleasure has been all mine, thanks lads!

comrade
21-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Gee that 99 draft was bloody good to us.

It was good to Scott Clayton, too.

KT31
21-08-2012, 12:43 PM

Shoot in the air enough, eventually a duck will drop.:)

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 01:15 PM

and yet, this is the same Draft that Terry Wallace had no faith in at all.

Watch this Video and go to 17:29

BN93ijhQfHo

"I just think, ( 2002 ) Plough probably looked at us as an ageing team, where's the next opportunity going to come from?"

" Behind the scenes he had said that the young players in the team were not going to develop, and we hadn't drafted well"

He mentions Hargrave and Gillbee at 19:06

Make sure you STOP this video before 19:27 when they review the 1997 prelim :(

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Can they stay on as kicking/punching coaches?

ratsmac
21-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Very sad to see these two retire, but we all knew it was coming. Loved watching these boys become men. Lots of great memories.
Thanks fellas.

1eyedog
21-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I just thought Shaggy would be there forever. Both probably deserved more than 200 games but a fine effort by both. Here's looking forward to the new breed...

KT31
22-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Great Gladiators of the club, both different types of players, but both with the same size ticker.
Could do a lot worse than recruiting two players that would reach their level.
All the best to the both of them and hopeful a Granny at a lower level.

westbulldog
24-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Congratulations to both men on fine careers. Hargrave could defend equally well on small or tall forwards whilst Gilbee was in the elite class with his kicking skills. Best wishes to both for their futures.

LostDoggy
25-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Loved the way Shaggy always gave the opposition something extra to remember him by! The amount of clips around the ears he gave opposition forwards was incredible. Surprized he didn,t get suspended more. And yes he made Maxwell look like a complete spud. How bad is that guy. One on one he would have to be one of the wost defenders in the AFL.