PDA

View Full Version : MRP - Minson gets a week

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Melbourne's Lynden Dunn copped the embarrassment of being charged with staging. As it is a first offence, the utility can escape with a warning.

West Coast's Daniel Kerr is free to face Collingwood on Saturday night after he escaped with a reprimand for striking Chad Wingard, while Will Minson was handed a one-match ban for stomping on Kieren Jack.

Micheal Doughty, Mitch Robinson, Jay Schulz, Clinton Young, Adam Schneider and Minson for a separate incident were all cleared.

chef
20-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Bound to happen. Didn't Hunt only get a fine for doing the same thing?

Mitcha
20-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Just saw it on the news, deliberate action, DUMB.

azabob
20-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Bound to happen. Didn't Hunt only get a fine for doing the same thing?

Just saw it on the news, deliberate action, DUMB.

Was it any worse than Hunts? Or was Minson just unlucky he was the second player to do it?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I think he was lucky to be only offered one week.
I'm a massive fan of Will, and was very disappointed with his treatment both in the media and by the club for his sledge directed at Pearce, but this was a low act.
He stood over Jack, looked down at him and deliberately brought his foot down on his leg.
He is better than that.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Just saw the footage on the news, really disappointed in Wil, not what footy is about at all.

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Spur of the moment bad decision. Nothing sinister and no serious damage to anyone.

Not sure how Will got a week and Mr Muscles Nancy Boy Hunt didn't though. Especially as Will had a good record.

SonofScray
20-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Probably, and rightfully assumed he'd cop a fine only. No different to Hunt's shit effort after all. Alas, the chimpanzees that need to justify their own existence as the MRP were true to form and made it up as they went along.

In all reality, it is the sort of thing that deserves a punishment but given the inconsistency and the hysterical responses to certain things I cannot support any decision they make on the back of their shambolic "process."

Finally, I have no issue with Will stepping over the mark from time to time. If he takes him out of the game and we have a stronger chance of winning, then do it. Just a shame he got caught, essentially.

Desipura
20-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Will this effect his chances of becoming a captain?

azabob
20-08-2012, 08:44 PM

I think the slur would hurt more, how many stupid things has Judd done onfield and he is still captain.

SonofScray
20-08-2012, 08:49 PM

I don't think it should at all. But I'm not convinced it wouldn't, given the highly cautious, homogenous and conservative leadership culture at our Club.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2012, 09:05 PM
One week is about right, wasn't a good look on replay yesterday and once the commentators picked up on it, it was the only possible outcome.

Will's got to learn to control his white line fever a bit better.

Mantis
20-08-2012, 09:48 PM
One week is about right, wasn't a good look on replay yesterday and once the commentators picked up on it, it was the only possible outcome.

Will's got to learn to control his white line fever a bit better.

Really?

Shocking act, he should have gotten 4.

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Really?

Shocking act, he should have gotten 4.

Bit grumpy tonight Mantis?

4 weeks is laughable and you know it. What did Brown get for elbowing Ward in the head?

G-Mo77
20-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Hunt did something very similar and got off. 4 weeks? Naaaah.

bornadog
20-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Hunt did something very similar and got off. 4 weeks? Naaaah.

Thats a joke Hunt getting off and Minson getting a week.

Mantis
20-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Bit grumpy tonight Mantis?

No grumpier than normal.

4 weeks is laughable and you know it. What did Brown get for elbowing Ward in the head?

Standing on a player is a shit act and deserves more than 1 week.

Brown should've gotten 8 for his dog act.

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 10:11 PM
There is what should happen and then there is the AFL.

Not enough force for a big suspension.

Mantis
20-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Not enough force for a big suspension.

A 110kg bloke standing on your leg wearing studded boots creates no force, ok then. :rolleyes:

bornadog
20-08-2012, 10:14 PM
A 110kg bloke standing on your leg wearing studded boots creates no force, ok then. :rolleyes:

They check the medical report and if he is ok, then they base it on that. I know you are correct in the force etc , but in the end its the medical report.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't think it should at all. But I'm not convinced it wouldn't, given the highly cautious, homogenous and conservative leadership culture at our Club.

Minson, Captain material??? You've got to be joking. What and Aker is coming back as his vice.... and Dougie as our next coach!

The stomp = Dumb

The slur = Dumb

Any truth in the rumour that Will wrote the lyrics for Paul Kelly's 'Dumb Things'?

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Minson tried to stop his foot but it was a long way from the brain to his foot........

The Underdog
20-08-2012, 10:48 PM
They check the medical report and if he is ok, then they base it on that. I know you are correct in the force etc , but in the end its the medical report.

Because the result should obviously matter more than the intent. What a back asswards system.

bornadog
20-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Because the result should obviously matter more than the intent. What a back asswards system.

I agree. Look at the bloke that hit Addison, only got two weeks and Addison was out for 4 with a cracked jaw, yet the week after a player got 4 weeks for hitting Kade Simpson. As someone said, cement head gets decked but because he is so tough, Brown gets a light sentence. If Ward was concussed, then he would have got more.

Its a bit like an assault vs Murder, the more some one is injured the bigger the sentence.

AndrewP6
20-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Just seeing that footage on AFL360... boy, Will was VERY lucky to get a week. Poor form really.

SonofScray
21-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Minson, Captain material??? You've got to be joking. What and Aker is coming back as his vice.... and Dougie as our next coach!

The stomp = Dumb

The slur = Dumb

Any truth in the rumour that Will wrote the lyrics for Paul Kelly's 'Dumb Things'?

Don't think his slur directed at Pearce was dumb at all. Would be happy for him to do it again if it meant that Pearce's head went out of the game and our chances of winning increased. He's picked his mark there, really rattled the bloke. Smart move in fact.

The stomp, took an opportunity to exploit a ridiculous precedent set by the MRP with the Hunt decision. Got found out, but that's the way it sometimes goes when you work the margins.

Similar to Libba in the Wallace era, he is working a side of the game that more talented players don't have to. I see a guy who is prepared to sacrifice individual reputation and pats on the back for a result. If opposition get hurt and media don't like it, who gives a hoot? I follow the Bulldogs, not them. I love that we have a guy willing to wear the heel tag.

He is a leader at the Club. Undeniable. All he needs to get better at is not getting caught.

SonofScray
21-08-2012, 12:19 AM

Amazing how it has become that way. Just doesn't make any sense, yet bit by bit their process has just been accepted and become the norm.

Greystache
21-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Just saw the replay, very ordinary effort from Will.

Things like that really annoy me about Will, he's always looking to physically impose himself yet goes about it in stupid ways like this. It didn't intimidate Jack, didn't affect the game's momentum, and he's lucky not to get 3 weeks.

jeemak
21-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Irrespective of how Eade's comments about Will were received by Will, or perceived by those on the outside he really hit the mark with his "dumbest smart bloke" comment.

Seriously, enough of the crap Will. You of all people should be smart enough to know what you can and can't get away with, and while our side is languising at the bottom of the ladder and in deep need of leadership you have let our club down with a stupid act, with the only consequence being you missing a game and not being able to support the club.

Manufactured toughness is the worst type. Will has plenty of opportunity to intimidate the opposition with his physical presence without having to resort to stomping, and as soon as he realises that, the better.

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes it was stupid act. But equally a stupid decision by the MRP. I'd like to defend Will on this one for the following reasons.

Was it as obvious as the Hunt / Betts incident? A hand is a delicate instrument. The wrist alone is made up of more than 14 bones and once broken, is never the same again. Stomping on a calf is not nearly as serious although it is a punishable offence as you can do some serious damage as well, granted. But a week? Hunt was let off with a fine. What's the difference?

In addition, look at this picture below from the melee incident last round. Mitch Robinson throws a punch in this image. He does not have a fist full of jumper at this point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cFhBArZeCAI/UDLJ9h_ZJ_I/AAAAAAAAB0Y/e29hD4uZbdM/s320/mitch%2Br.jpg

Any Boxing coach can tell you, you can knock someone out with much less space than this. Look at the intent / head high ( head is sacrosanct? HELLOOO ) and YET this incident was judged to have ' not enough force'. Robinson was let off with a fine. Compare this to the Minson incident. Let's take a member of the MRP out into the carpark and ask them which they would prefer. A stomp on the calf with a studded boot or a whack in the face by Mitch Robinson of this force. Who would you give a week to? MRP clearly got it wrong.

Finally, in response to some above posts, I love Will and damned if I will call him stupid. I'm kind of leaning toward SonofScray with this.
Ted Whitten, Idiot Brereton, Greg Williams. Every team has to have its hard edge. Why do we have to be so ....
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa4DDItBGrovqMssMVC8MILryQB4IvPvoH6HYrmyk 38m1zpQ5OwA

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree. Look at the bloke that hit Addison, only got two weeks and Addison was out for 4 with a cracked jaw, yet the week after a player got 4 weeks for hitting Kade Simpson. As someone said, cement head gets decked but because he is so tough, Brown gets a light sentence. If Ward was concussed, then he would have got more.

Its a bit like an assault vs Murder, the more some one is injured the bigger the sentence.

Is this an incentive to stay down on the deck? :confused:

EasternWest
21-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Was it as obvious as the Hunt / Betts incident? A hand is a delicate instrument. The wrist alone is made up of more than 14 bones and once broken, is never the same again.

I don't think this is true as a general thing. Maybe on a case by case basis.

I've broken bones in both my wrists on separate occasions, and they are both as good as they were beforehand. Though I'll admit one of them did take quite a while to fully recover.

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't think this is true as a general thing. Maybe on a case by case basis.

I've broken bones in both my wrists on separate occasions, and they are both as good as they were beforehand. Though I'll admit one of them did take quite a while to fully recover.

Wait until you get older.

EasternWest
21-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Wait until you get older.

I am older.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Understand what you are saying but the Addison hit doesn't fit the bill. He should have got at least 4 weeks too.

KT31
21-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Will cop the week, just a stupid thing to do and hope this has nothing to do with frustrations with the club.

azabob
21-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Will cop the week, just a stupid thing to do and hope this has nothing to do with frustrations with the club.

Minson is contesting the charge.

Doc26
21-08-2012, 12:52 PM

What on earth would his defense be ? That he didn't see him down there. Can only be arguing betwen Intentional and Reckless.
In my mind there is nothing more surer now than Will getting two weeks for this.

KT31
21-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Two it will be then.

Ghost Dog
21-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I am older.

Are you over 40?
You know what I mean.
Are you saying that the Minson incident is worse than the Hunt incident? At very least they are on par.

Hotdog60
21-08-2012, 01:14 PM
What on earth would his defense be ? That he didn't see him down there. Can only be arguing between Intentional and Reckless.
In my mind there is nothing more surer now than Will getting two weeks for this.

I just watched Hunt's hand stomp and it looks a lot worse than Will's. Hunt deliberately pinned Betts so he couldn't dispose of the ball.

I think Will was verbally having a go at Jack and wasn't watching where he was treading. From the video Will head was looking at Jack face. I would be contesting the penalty and the inconsistency between Will and Hunt. I'd be asking for a fine for recklessness.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2012, 01:52 PM
What on earth would his defense be ? That he didn't see him down there. Can only be arguing betwen Intentional and Reckless.

I wouldn't be unhappy for Will to get the two weeks. This will give Campbell who in the words of Club legend John Schultz is our best ruck prospect to have what he does best two weeks as number one ruckman. This was an undisciplined act by big Will possibly out of sheer frustration but given our lack of experience on field at the moment you would have expected better from him. I would hope that the MC doesn't fall for Cordy to assume the number one rucking spot this week as he looks a long way off it.

Maddog37
21-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I just watched Hunt's hand stomp and it looks a lot worse than Will's. Hunt deliberately pinned Betts so he couldn't dispose of the ball.

I think Will was verbally having a go at Jack and wasn't watching where he was treading. From the video Will head was looking at Jack face. I would be contesting the penalty and the inconsistency between Will and Hunt. I'd be asking for a fine for recklessness.

I agree with this. At least challenging will tell the world that we believe it was not intentional rather than putting our hand up and saying sorry.

LostDoggy
21-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be unhappy for Will to get the two weeks. This will give Campbell who in the words of Club legend John Schultz is our best ruck prospect to have what he does best two weeks as number one ruckman. This was an undisciplined act by big Will possibly out of sheer frustration but given our lack of experience on field at the moment you would have expected better from him. I would hope that the MC doesn't fall for Cordy to assume the number one rucking spot this week as he looks a long way off it.

Ayce might come of age...

bornadog
21-08-2012, 03:38 PM

That is exactly what he will be arguing.

EasternWest
21-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Are you over 40?
You know what I mean.
Are you saying that the Minson incident is worse than the Hunt incident? At very least they are on par.

No I'm not comparing the two because I only have vague memories of the Hunt one.

I'm near enough to forty, and I do know what you mean. But I think the ramifications of broken bones depend more on the nature and severity of the injury. I've broken both scaphoids, but the were clean breaks that healed well. Like you said, there are a number of bones in that area, and a more severe break or one that healed poorly could give one grief at a later stage.

I've broken quite a few bones. If your theory holds true then I'm in for a world of hurt in future! ;).

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-08-2012, 05:35 PM
There was nothing in the Age today - I sense a Caro column coming - she went over the top after the Pearce incident

Greystache
21-08-2012, 05:41 PM
There was nothing in the Age today - I sense a Caro column coming - she went over the top after the Pearce incident

A report for a physical incident during a game might be a bit close to something football related for Caroline Wilson the AFL's gossip columnist

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-08-2012, 05:46 PM
A report for a physical incident during a game might be a bit close to something football related for Caroline Wilson the AFL's gossip columnist

If there's misery involved she should be right

Doc26
21-08-2012, 06:12 PM

At the time I couldn't understand how Hunt was not charged by the MRP for intentionally standing on Betts hand. This mob really do create a rod for their own back.

If drawing on such a precedent could be reasonablly considered by the tribunal then Will might have a chance. The thing is the Hunt incident never got put before the tribunal for them to consider a verdict, it was left simply to the MRP where inconsistencies abound.

There appears a lot of grey in how intentional vs reckless is being assessed so nothing would surprise me. With that said I would still be very surprised in this case if the original decison was not upheld and would not have risked it.

If my memory serves me correct that will mean Will misses both games against his old mate Huddo. Maybe Will fears the bearded one :)

Hotdog60
21-08-2012, 06:39 PM
At the time I couldn't understand how Hunt was not charged by the MRP for intentionally standing on Betts hand. This mob really do create a rod for their own back.

If drawing on such a precedent could be reasonablly considered by the tribunal then Will might have a chance. The thing is the Hunt incident never got put before the tribunal for them to consider a verdict, it was left simply to the MRP where inconsistencies abound.

There appears a lot of grey in how intentional vs reckless is being assessed so nothing would surprise me. With that said I would still be very surprised in this case if the original decison was not upheld and would not have risked it.

If my memory serves me correct that will mean Will misses both games against his old mate Huddo. Maybe Will fears the bearded one :)

Maybe for the sake of getting some sort of consistency we/all clubs should throw previous convictions back at them.

bornadog
21-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Tribunal deliberating whether its intentional or accidental, but dismiss reckless.

Decision soon.

bornadog
21-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Will Minson is found guilty of stomping, but it has been downgraded to reckless. He gets off with 93.75 points and a reprimand.

Doc26
21-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Will Minson is found guilty of stomping, but it has been downgraded to reckless. He gets off with 93.75 points and a reprimand.

Thanks BD. Surprised i must say but nonetheless very pleased that Will's copped a break in a crap season.
Now to get him to sign on with us.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2012, 07:27 PM

That's a dreadful decision. The MRP is a mess.

AndrewP6
21-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Will needs to buy a Tatts ticket. The MRP is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Terrible, terrible decision.

Throughandthrough
21-08-2012, 07:43 PM
So now he plays when he should have missed, and missed when he should have played

all square

SlimPickens
21-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Agree the tribunal/MRP is a joke and needs a massive overhaul.

G-Mo77
21-08-2012, 07:59 PM
So now he plays when he should have missed, and missed when he should have played

all square

Even Steven. :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06355Hb6m1qdcfc3o1_500.gif

Hotdog60
21-08-2012, 08:14 PM
If you study the video Will is not looking at his feet, he is looking a Jack's face. I thought he was giving him a mouthful but their case was he was checking for signs of blood after contact.

It was reckless and in view of the Hunt's decision I think Will has done ok.

azabob
21-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Will needs to buy a Tatts ticket. The MRP is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Terrible, terrible decision.

Agree the tribunal/MRP is a joke and needs a massive overhaul.

Yes he should have gone, but at least they are consistent, albeit consistently wrong.

Hunt got off, so why not Minson?

bornadog
21-08-2012, 08:36 PM

You weren't there to listen to the evidence:)

AndrewP6
21-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Thank god for that! :)

Go_Dogs
21-08-2012, 08:47 PM

They backed themselves into a corner with the Hunt decision, the precedent lent towards Minson getting off. I thought one week would have been fair in the circumstances because in my view it was a slightly worse offence to Hunt's, but nonetheless it couldn't have been more than one week (IMO) based on the recent decision.

I'd expect the Tribunal will look at 'stomping/treading' incidents over the off-season.

Maddog37
21-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Good result for Will. He deserved a break after the Pearce fiasco.

I thought it was not intentional but lost all conviction after I read other posters views.

Topdog
21-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Was this one being broadcast on twitter?

SonofScray
21-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Well done Will for standing up for yourself and not just simply gobbling up the tripe shovelled out by the AFL's corrupt or nonsensical MRP system. Another big tick for the bloke in my book. A fighter, prepared to scrap when required.

bornadog
21-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Was this one being broadcast on twitter?

yes it was.

jeemak
22-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Just in case you haven't had your dose of Caro this morning:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/its-time-for-afl-to-stamp-out-the-stomp-20120821-24krp.html

azabob
22-08-2012, 12:21 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/its-time-for-afl-to-stamp-out-the-stomp-20120821-24krp.html

Jeemak, in fairness at least Caro brought up other incidents of similar vein where as Mark Robinson found it only necessary to have a go at Will rather than the ruling.

jeemak
22-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Jeemak, in fairness at least Caro brought up other incidents of similar vein where as Mark Robinson found it only necessary to have a go at Will rather than the ruling.

I tend not to read the HS unless an article is cut and pasted on to forums, so haven't read his article.

As for Caro, I wasn't really having a go at her. I expect her wowserisms and emotive language in everything she writes. Sometimes I can look past it as she can write good articles, this one is niether here nor there for me.

stefoid
22-08-2012, 02:32 PM
OK, just saw the footage, and you know what? It was an accident.

Look at this footage

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-coach-gives-minson-stamp-of-approval-20120822-24lox.html

First thing - Jack was flailing around on the ground in the first place because he was playing for a free kick, but regardless...

You can clearly see from that angle that minson is waiting for a clear spot to put down his raised foot and then sees it and commits to placing his weight on it, and at the last second , Jack, doing his best Zachary Smith impersonation "the pain, the pain", rolls sideways and slides his leg underneath minsons decending foot.

Minson goes, 'oh *!*!*!*!' and gets off his leg as quick as he can.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I tend not to read the HS unless an article is cut and pasted on to forums, so haven't read his article.

As for Caro, I wasn't really having a go at her. I expect her wowserisms and emotive language in everything she writes. Sometimes I can look past it as she can write good articles, this one is niether here nor there for me.

Emotive language too right! 'Attack', how is this an attack?
It's a man's game Caro, with bodies flying everywhere.

Chris Scott comes out and Defends minno!
Which is a fair argument. Firstly, As Will points out, his shoulders are raised as he steps, so he is clearly trying to lighten the load. If it was a 'stomp' as is being claimed, he would have his body weight over his foot.
Also, when a player claims it's an accident, and it's a grey area, surely they should be given the benefit of the doubt?
Thanks Chris!

bornadog
22-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Look at this footage

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-coach-gives-minson-stamp-of-approval-20120822-24lox.html

First thing - Jack was flailing around on the ground in the first place because he was playing for a free kick, but regardless...

You can clearly see from that angle that minson is waiting for a clear spot to put down his raised foot and then sees it and commits to placing his weight on it, and at the last second , Jack, doing his best Zachary Smith impersonation "the pain, the pain", rolls sideways and slides his leg underneath minsons decending foot.

Totally agree. I think alot of people owe Minson an apology, members of this forum included.

immortalmike
22-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I thought it was clumsy on first viewing and nothing has changed my mind. Wil could never be regarded as graceful, it was an accident pure and simple.
It seems in everyone's rush to condemn Wil and be perceived as unbiased they forgot to actually view the incident. I know we aren't going very well guys but there's no reason to throw a player not known for stepping over the line under the bus. Minson has been aggressive, and he's been clumsy but you could never accuse him of being malicious. I would have thought that those on this board would remember this first and foremost.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-08-2012, 05:37 PM

I knew it was coming

jazzadogs
22-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Mark Robinson and Damian Barrett are leading the attack (Barrett upset that Adrian Anderson didn't step in to increase the penalty :o ). I thought right from the start it was accidental, but didn't want to say anything in fear of being accused of bias.

I wasn't surprised that he got a week, and wasn't particularly upset by it. But I am glad that he contested it, and glad it got reduced, so that people can hear his side and (hopefully) come to realise that it was an accident. As others have said, he is clearly looking at Jack's face and his toes get caught in the crease of Jack's knee.

The other thing is that there are suggestions kids will think this is fine, to maliciously stomp on an opponent. That's not true. Reporting it as a malicious stomp will make it seem that way. If they report it as the accident it was, and show that he still received a reprimand, it would be clear that even accidentally stomping on an opponent is frowned upon.

AndrewP6
22-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Dunno, I still think he could've avoided it.

azabob
22-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Mark Robinson and Damian Barrett are leading the attack (Barrett upset that Adrian Anderson didn't step in to increase the penalty :o ). I thought right from the start it was accidental, but didn't want to say anything in fear of being accused of bias.

What frustrates me is that Mark Robinson isn't even raising that Hunt did something similar not so long ago. At least Caroline Wilson wrote about it but also commented on other similar incidents that have happened.

ReLoad
22-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Caroline Wilson has a head like a smashed crab, she has also been stealing oxygen for years.

Maybe we can send Minno around and stomp on her?

The issue I have is that she and Mark Robinson has basically called Minson a liar, which is a very long bow to draw. perhaps they should have the balls (Caro certainly has them) to say that to his face?

jeemak
22-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I still think he was able to avoid it, actually.

Doesn't mean he meant to get him of course, rather, he just didn't regard Jack when he moved on with the result being he stepped on his leg.

Overall the impact was soft, and it probably serves Jack right for collapsing in the end.

jeemak
22-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Caroline Wilson has a head like a smashed crab, she has also been stealing oxygen for years.

Maybe we can send Minno around and stomp on her?

The issue I have is that she and Mark Robinson has basically called Minson a liar, which is a very long bow to draw. perhaps they should have the balls (Caro certainly has them) to say that to his face?

Not sure what her looks have to do with it! :o

Don't let it get to you too much ReLoad.

Maddog37
22-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I am continually amazed that people like Robbo etc continually set the agenda on what is morally acceptable.

The problem is the more you ignore them, the more desperate and outlandish their claims become.

I have rarely learned anything from reading their articles and subsequently don't read them at all anymore.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2012, 08:42 PM
What surprises me, is after Will was pretty much hung out to dry by the club for the last incident, how hard people were on him here.

jeemak
22-08-2012, 08:45 PM
MD37 you're right.

These are people that used to be quite good at what they did (sometimes, they still are). I think part of the problem is that the same people that write in the major papers are the same people that are on TV, and also happen to be on the radio. They actually suffer from their overbearing presence, and in order to stay relevant they have to spew forth more and more vitriole and hardline opinions.

azabob
22-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I am continually amazed that people like Robbo etc continually set the agenda on what is morally acceptable.

The problem is the more you ignore them, the more desperate and outlandish their claims become.

I have rarely learned anything from reading their articles and subsequently don't read them at all anymore.

Was Robbo the one who had a few beers with a co-worker and then they punched on?

azabob
22-08-2012, 09:15 PM
MD37 you're right.

These are people that used to be quite good at what they did (sometimes, they still are). I think part of the problem is that the same people that write in the major papers are the same people that are on TV, and also happen to be on the radio. They actually suffer from their overbearing presence, and in order to stay relevant they have to spew forth more and more vitriole and hardline opinions.

What also is part of the problem is the 24/7 media coverage. SEN radio, online newspapers all trying to outdo each other with the next big headline and as you say they have "to spew forth more and more vitriole and hardline opinions"

I think there nearly the same amount accredited AFL jurnos as players.

Sedat
22-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Was Robbo the one who had a few beers with a co-worker and then they punched on?
Correct weight. He got smashed with Mick Warner and they threw a few haymakers. One of his Herald Sun colleagues is also none other than Jon '0.139' Anderson, the bloke who clearly has a problem with pizza parlours so he smashes his car into them when he's off his Chevy Chase. A fine, upstanding, morally sound group of individuals at the HS :o

azabob
22-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Correct weight. He got smashed with Mick Warner and they threw a few haymakers. One of his Herald Sun colleagues is also none other than Jon '0.139' Anderson, the bloke who clearly has a problem with pizza parlours so he smashes his car into them when he's off his Chevy Chase. A fine, upstanding, morally sound group of individuals at the HS :o

It really is laughable.

jeemak
23-08-2012, 12:36 AM
What also is part of the problem is the 24/7 media coverage. SEN radio, online newspapers all trying to outdo each other with the next big headline and as you say they have "to spew forth more and more vitriole and hardline opinions"

Unfortunately we get the media we deserve. The only reason things are the way they are is because of commercial reasons. As a society we need to be more discerning about where we place our attention.

We're really lucky to have a forum like this one. Not blowing sunshine up the backsides of the people that run it however, the information and opinion I gain from WOOF is balanced, and grounded, as well as being self moderated to a large extent (though the moderators could probably educate me on how it isn't, some of the time).

I don't think I've completely shut myself out from the general media, of course, though for the most part I can't gain perspective that I value more than I read here anywhere else.

LostDoggy
23-08-2012, 03:25 AM

Come on man. I'm as one eyed as the next guy, but seriously?
Minson isn't a midget, he could have easily steped over Jacks leg even if it were streatched out. If you watch your video, he deliberatly steps short on his stride and times it to get the leg.

What surprises me, is after Will was pretty much hung out to dry by the club for the last incident, how hard people were on him here.

Why does this surprise you?
Being hung out to dry by the club for trash talking is a joke. Stomping on someone while they are down is pretty low.

SonofScray
23-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Come on man. I'm as one eyed as the next guy, but seriously?
Minson isn't a midget, he could have easily steped over Jacks leg even if it were streatched out. If you watch your video, he deliberatly steps short on his stride and times it to get the leg.

Why does this surprise you?
Being hung out to dry by the club for trash talking is a joke. Stomping on someone while they are down is pretty low.

Except for the fact he didn't stomp. To say otherwise is just joining in on the witch hunt and moral outrage.

He trod on him, a stomp is a much more forceful, deliberate and malicious act.

Maddog37
23-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Minno said he didn't mean it. He seems honest to me so I choose to believe him.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Except for the fact he didn't stomp. To say otherwise is just joining in on the witch hunt and moral outrage.

I believe there is no doubt he deliberately stomped on him. If it had been the Mumford who did that to Picken and got off this board would be in meltdown.

100% with HM on this one

bornadog
23-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Minno said he didn't mean it. He seems honest to me so I choose to believe him.

This^^^^

Murphy'sLore
23-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Apparently there are actually more journos than players now.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I believe there is no doubt he deliberately stomped on him. If it had been the Mumford who did that to Picken and got off this board would be in meltdown.

100% with HM on this one

yes or no, you are calling Will a liar? One word answer.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2012, 10:58 AM
yes or no, you are calling Will a liar? One word answer.

Yes.

LostDoggy
23-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Ah, there is a different argument. Force of the step or stomp is questionable. However he timed it to step short and get Jacks leg. As I have said, with Minson's stride he could have stepped right over any flailing limb Jack has.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes.

That's pretty disappointing. You would not take a man at his word. A man who wears the colours of our own club.
Would you call him a liar to his face if you met him? I doubt it.

Mofra
23-08-2012, 12:04 PM
That's pretty disappointing. You would not take a man at his word. A man who wears the colours of our own club.
Almost every player who has been to the tribunal in the past 100 years of VFL/AFL football has lied in some way shape or form.

Do we brand them all liars too?

Ozza
23-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm just glad Will got cleared.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Almost every player who has been to the tribunal in the past 100 years of VFL/AFL football has lied in some way shape or form.

Do we brand them all liars too?

We are not talking about other players. This is about Will. He says it wasn't intentional, pointed to the fact he tried to lighten the load as he stepped ( which is a good point and when you slow it down, you see it clearly ). Dons a suit and goes in front of a panel to support his case. And his own supporters watch a bit of video, call themseleves experts, and call him a liar! Give me a break.

Maddog37
23-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Ghost Dog, People are entitled to their opinion and it does not make them bad supporters or anything.

Some think he did it on purpose, some don't. Simple as that.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Ghost Dog, People are entitled to their opinion and it does not make them bad supporters or anything.

Some think he did it on purpose, some don't. Simple as that.

That's a side point. I'll come back to that.
Anyway you look at it, it's not a convincing act. It's awkward, but not 100% clear. What you might call a line ball. So there are going to be those who think Will was careless. Those that think the act was intentionally careless . And those who think he set out to deliberately hurt the other player ( Caro 'attack')

If you were to call him a liar, you might add the caveat 'maybe' because nobody is really sure. He was careless, he could have hopped on one leg, or bent down to check if the other player was ok.
To say people are entitled to their opinions and this does not make them bad supporters: Well it depends on how they express themselves. What about the blokes who abuse Gia and call him washed up, or hurl abuse at our own players? are they not bad supporters because they are entitled to their opinions?

For supporters ( our own ) to come out and accuse Will of a 100% deliberate act to attack another player, that on tape, is anything but 100% deliberate is poor supportsmanship.

jeemak
23-08-2012, 12:35 PM
We are not talking about other players. This is about Will. He says it wasn't intentional, pointed to the fact he tried to lighten the load as he stepped ( which is a good point and when you slow it down, you see it clearly ). Dons a suit and goes in front of a panel to support his case. And his own supporters watch a bit of video, call themseleves experts, and call him a liar! Give me a break.

Yeah, I wish everyone would stop calling themselves experts. This thread is littered with such claims, and I for one am sick of it! :D

I support the Dogs, and I think Will was being economical with the truth to save his skin. He may not have deliberately trodden on Jack, but he certainly did nothing to avoid doing so.

LostDoggy
23-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Depends on the man and the situation.
At the end would you have taken Akermanis at his word?

I support the Dogs, and I think Will was being economical with the truth to save his skin. He may not have deliberately trodden on Jack, but he certainly did nothing to avoid doing so.

This is probably the best (P.C) way to approach the situation.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Depends on the man and the situation.
At the end would you have taken Akermanis at his word?

This is probably the best (P.C) way to approach the situation.

This man, and this situation.

bornadog
23-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Ah, there is a different argument. Force of the step or stomp is questionable. However he timed it to step short and get Jacks leg. As I have said, with Minson's stride he could have stepped right over any flailing limb Jack has.

So you didn't notice as Will was putting his foot down, Jack rolled at the same time and put his leg where Will was about to step. Don't forget this all happens in a matter of seconds.

Mofra
23-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Bingo - not sure how merely having this opinion constitutes calling Will a liar or slandering his character

Don't recall SS branding himself as an expert.

Scenario: If your partner says "does my bum look big in this", personally I wouldn't brand you as a liar on a public forum for doing what the majority of sensible men would do. (Assuming you don't have a death wish of course ;))

Are the vast majority of men liars then?

LostDoggy
23-08-2012, 01:28 PM
So you didn't notice as Will was putting his foot down, Jack rolled at the same time and put his leg where Will was about to step. Don't forget this all happens in a matter of seconds.

Which is why it annoys me that these incidents are always shown in slow motion. Of course if we all moved at that pace we would be able to avoid things. When I got home last night my husband was watching AFL 360. Within 2 minutes I was ready to throw something at the tv. Mark Robinson did not mention once that Josh Hunt had stomped on Betts' hand earlier this year (or any other incidents). Is it just me or do the media think it's ok to pick on the 'weaker' clubs? I don't remember there being this much uproar with the Hunt/Betts incident. :mad:

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Bingo - not sure how merely having this opinion constitutes calling Will a liar or slandering his character

Don't recall SS branding himself as an expert.

Of course I am

Throughandthrough
23-08-2012, 06:24 PM

How do you lighten the load? #physicslessonneeded

You weigh the same whether you gently step on somone or jump on them.

chef
23-08-2012, 06:30 PM
This man, and this situation.

Do you know Will personally?

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Won't answer that. Makes no difference.

A guy on our team does something and claims it was not intentional, hard to prove either way, we give him the benefit of the doubt, and take his word for it. Or people call him a liar on a public forum. Or just throw hands up and say ' No idea'. What about you Chef?
Are the Swans coming out in the media against the outcome? No. All I know is, Will gives his best for the club and damn happy to have him V Geelong.
Does Will have support? Chris Scott, others yes.

JohnGentStand
23-08-2012, 06:45 PM
To call it a stomp is a quick way to let everyone reading your post that you dont own a dictionary. Quite simply, it clearly was not a stomp in any way, shape or form.

LostDoggy
23-08-2012, 07:22 PM
How do you lighten the load? #physicslessonneeded

Incorrect. I'll have a crack at year 8 physics.

If I remember weight is a force. You are thinking of mass, mass stays the same.
Weight (force) = mass x acceleration.
Since mass is a constant your variable is acceleration. If someone pushes down, eg stomp, then the weight (force) will increase. To lighten a load in this case Will could or did, throw some momentum up with his hands or opposite leg to remove the acceleration (in this case gravity) from his step. Thus reducing his weight.

I personally am not arguing the forced used, I just think he could have stepped right over Jack. The force used is a grey area.

Throughandthrough
23-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Incorrect. I'll have a crack at year 8 physics.

If I remember weight is a force. You are thinking of mass, mass stays the same.
Weight (force) = mass x acceleration.
Since mass is a constant your variable is acceleration. If someone pushes down, eg stomp, then the weight (force) will increase. To lighten a load in this case Will could or did, throw some momentum up with his hands or opposite leg to remove the acceleration (in this case gravity) from his step. Thus reducing his weight.

I personally am not arguing the forced used, I just think he could have stepped right over Jack. The force used is a grey area.

Dunno if thats correct but i wont be arguing at all :)

SonofScray
23-08-2012, 08:13 PM
For supporters ( our own ) to come out and accuse Will of a 100% deliberate act to attack another player, that on tape, is anything but 100% deliberate is poor supportsmanship.

Tend to agree. By all means I am happy to hear supporters express disappointment in Will getting caught, or behaving in a manner that sees him hurt the team by missing games but not once he has been cleared to play and where there is enough grey to simply take his side or refrain from shooting him down.

Just stinks of trying to be perceived as objective and full of footy smarts. As if being a fan is mutually exclusive from that possibility.

If Will stomped a bloke in a GF, they went a man down and we won in a game where the opposition tired early. What would you think of Will?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-08-2012, 08:32 PM

I do know Will personally and believe he has been found guilty under trial by media. There isn't a better ambassador for the club off field working for Red Dust Role Models in both the Northern Territory and India where he has been outstanding.Having watched the video clip of the incident on a number of occasions before the appeal hearing,I was personally convinced that there was a strong element in Will's favor. Good luck to him. The season he has enjoyed has been a vast turnaround in what has been a fine year.

G-Mo77
23-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm just glad Will got cleared.

That's it in a nutshell. Will fought the charge got cleared and is playing this week, good times! Who the hell cares what his intentions were or weren't.

SonofScray
23-08-2012, 08:41 PM
That's it in a nutshell. Will fought the charge got cleared and is playing this week, good times! Who the hell cares what his intentions were or weren't.

Bingo. Looking forward to seeing Wilbur in the tricolours down @ Sleepy Hollow this weekend.

stefoid
24-08-2012, 02:56 PM
How do you lighten the load? #physicslessonneededbyme

edited for accuracy

Throughandthrough
24-08-2012, 07:12 PM
edited for accuracy

What weighs more?

A Tonne of feathers or a tonne of lead?

LostDoggy
24-08-2012, 07:39 PM
What weighs more?

A Tonne of feathers or a tonne of lead?

Not that simple sorry.

That's different to what we were talking about in regards to lighting load and weight on Jacks leg compared to Will's overall weight.