PDA

View Full Version : I am worried about our disappearing fans - What can we do?

bornadog
20-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I mentioned in another thread that this years attendances are the lowest since 1996 when we averaged around 20,000 (currently 24,000). The fans have voted with their feet, they are sick of watching weekly thrashings and very few goals kicked in the second half of matches with little or no spirit on the ground. This is a club that was averaging over 40,000 at Eithad in 2009.

Whatever you think about the direction we are heading on the field, I fear for 2013 in membership, attendance and relevance to the game. We have a coach who doesn't promote the club publicly, the CEO is a quiet man and Smorgon has had enough ( he has kept quiet and seemingly biding his time).

Unless we turn things around pretty quickly, or maybe recruit a big name in the off season, it will be hard to get members back.

The implications are huge for our balance sheet and long term viability.

So what can we do to win the fans back in the meantime, and get them oin board for the futiure? (other than win games of course)

AndrewP6
20-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I mentioned in another thread that this years attendances are the lowest since 1996 when we averaged around 20,000 (currently 24,000). The fans have voted with their feet, they are sick of watching weekly thrashings and very few goals kicked in the second half of matches with little or no spirit on the ground. This is a club that was averaging over 40,000 at Eithad in 2009.

Whatever you think about the direction we are heading on the field, I fear for 2013 in membership, attendance and relevance to the game. We have a coach who doesn't promote the club publicly, the CEO is a quiet man and Smorgon has had enough ( he has kept quiet and seemingly biding his time).

Unless we turn things around pretty quickly, or maybe recruit a big name in the off season, it will be hard to get members back.

So what can we do to win the fans back in the meantime, and get them oin board for the futiure? (other than win games of course)

I think they're inextricably linked. People aren't going because we're horrible to watch. As for what we can do...:confused::confused:

Ghost Dog
20-08-2012, 08:12 PM
supporters, grab a cement milkshake and harden up!

azabob
20-08-2012, 08:14 PM
supporters, grab a cement milkshake and harden up!

It isn't as simple as that though, is it? Even you have said yourself you are not going due to personal reasons. When the club starts losing, and losing by big margins excuses will be found quite easily. (Not directed to you GD as sick family members come first)

Ghost Dog
20-08-2012, 08:18 PM
It isn't as simple as that though, is it? Even you have said yourself you are not going due to personal reasons. When the club starts losing, and losing by big margins excuses will be found quite easily. (Not directed to you GD as sick family members come first)

I bought a membership last year despite being overseas.
This year, I had to move back to Hamilton 3.5 hours away ) . No TAFE work here so cleaning supermarkets.
Point is, can't get to games now, not exactly cashed up but still bought a membership.
somebody give me a Bulldog pat on the back! :D
Cement smoothie. Harden....up!:D

Maddog37
20-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I go to footy in my leisure time for enjoyment. Watching my team roll over to have it's tummy scratched was the opposite of enjoyment so found better things to do. I still pay for my reserve gold seats for our family and they just go to waste.

Eastdog
20-08-2012, 08:28 PM
In a previous thread about getting supporters to our club. We could put billboard signs somewhere on the major freeways in Melbourne to spread the world or do it through TV or Radio to advertise our upcoming match. I'm not sure how much this would cost though but it would be a fair bit I would imagine.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 09:01 PM
There has to be a major rethink in a lot of area to get members and supporters back. I think the under dog tag is getting a little lame and supporters have had enough. Bottom line is if you want supporters money you have to give something in return. The next few years will be meek in terms of return so people in the west, who are already tightening belts, will simply put money elsewhere.

Looks like a few years of handouts from the AFL coming up.

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Until we play football that is actually watchable, you will find me at the local junior footy

azabob
20-08-2012, 09:12 PM
There has to be a major rethink in a lot of area to get members and supporters back. I think the under dog tag is getting a little lame and supporters have had enough. Bottom line is if you want supporters money you have to give something in return. The next few years will be meek in terms of return so people in the west, who are already tightening belts, will simply put money elsewhere.

Looks like a few years of handouts from the AFL coming up.

3 prelim's in a row isn't enough return?

Eastdog
20-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I really believe I said this also on that previous thread about supporters is do work in the real growth areas of Melbourne (Outer North, Outer West, Outer South East) to drum up new support for the club. It may not be successful but I reckon it's worth a shot because we have always had a small supporter base. There is no reason why the Dogs can't venture out of the west to promote the club just like in sure Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong probably do in the West.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 09:25 PM

No one remembers 2nd 3rd or 4th, silver cups last forever, I dont understand how or why we call that a successful period, what did we win, never finished on top of the ladder and did not win a cup (pre season...big deal).....so no that was not a period to remember that was just good play. Tough I know.

azabob
20-08-2012, 10:06 PM
No one remembers 2nd 3rd or 4th, silver cups last forever, I dont understand how or why we call that a successful period, what did we win, never finished on top of the ladder and did not win a cup (pre season...big deal).....so no that was not a period to remember that was just good play. Tough I know.

Isn't it all relative though? It was successful for us, as a footy club... If you can't enjoy and remember those moments (late 90's and 2008-09-10) Im not sure of the point of going to the footy each week with your family or mates.

Success doesn't equal members or crowd numbers in the long term, just ask North Melbourne.

Greystache
20-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Isn't it all relative though? It was successful for us, as a footy club... If you can't enjoy and remember those moments (late 90's and 2008-09-10) Im not sure of the point of going to the footy each week with your family or mates.

Success doesn't equal members or crowd numbers in the long term, just ask North Melbourne.

Of the traditional Victorian clubs North Melbourne has won the 3rd least premierships in history behind only St Kilda and us. That seems to be pretty much reflected their respective supporter bases.

Eastdog
20-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Of the traditional Victorian clubs North Melbourne has won the 3rd least premierships in history behind only St Kilda and us. That seems to be pretty much reflected their respective supporter bases.

Definitely success really reflects on there supporter bases. Do you like my idea of going to the growth areas to try our best to increase support.

Sedat
20-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Of the traditional Victorian clubs North Melbourne has won the 3rd least premierships in history behind only St Kilda and us.True, but they did win 4 flags in 24 years, were perennial prelim finalists in both the 70's and 90's (and were competitive for most of the 80's), and always had watchable stars on their team like the Krakouer's. They've had much more 'modern era' success than the Dogs and Saints.

Greystache
20-08-2012, 11:00 PM
True, but they did win 4 flags in 24 years, were perennial prelim finalists in both the 70's and 90's (and were competitive for most of the 80's), and always had watchable stars on their team like the Krakouer's. They've had much more 'modern era' success than the Dogs and Saints.

Totally, but other than two strong periods they've been also rans most of their history. Given their geographic location it's probably only those 2 brief successful periods that have kept them in existence.

jeemak
20-08-2012, 11:27 PM

One thing I don't want to see happen is the same old shit that has driven this club to "almost there" status since I can remember (which for some of you, is a smidgeon of the time you can remember).

I think the club through the coach and the CEO should be a little more vocal next year, and do as much as they can to raise the profile of the club and sell their message. Let's face it, their message can't be competitive performances and winning, supporters and members will see through that easily, and anyway, the results won't reflect it.

The only ace we have up our sleeve is the exuberence of youth, and the club needs to promote the excitement players like Dahlhaus, Wallis, Liberatore et al will bring us all over the coming years. It's all we have and it's now time to capitalise on it. Wallis winning a Rising Star award would help a lot.

If the club goes down the same path of recruiting recycled players just to be competitive over the next year or so it won't work for us long term, and I'll throw my effing guts up.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2012, 10:18 PM
One thing I don't want to see happen is the same old shit that has driven this club to "almost there" status since I can remember (which for some of you, is a smidgeon of the time you can remember).

I think the club through the coach and the CEO should be a little more vocal next year, and do as much as they can to raise the profile of the club and sell their message. Let's face it, their message can't be competitive performances and winning, supporters and members will see through that easily, and anyway, the results won't reflect it.

The only ace we have up our sleeve is the exuberence of youth, and the club needs to promote the excitement players like Dahlhaus, Wallis, Liberatore et al will bring us all over the coming years. It's all we have and it's now time to capitalise on it. Wallis winning a Rising Star award would help a lot.

If the club goes down the same path of recruiting recycled players just to be competitive over the next year or so it won't work for us long term, and I'll throw my effing guts up.
To the three young players you have highlighted I believe we can add Smith Pearce Jong Johanniesen and Campbell who all give us hope for the future. We still lack talented key positional players apart from an aging Lake and that remains our biggest challenge going forward. I would be very surprised if BMcC would once again go down the path of recruiting recycled players which has proved fruitless.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I bought a membership last year despite being overseas.
This year, I had to move back to Hamilton 3.5 hours away ) . No TAFE work here so cleaning supermarkets.
Point is, can't get to games now, not exactly cashed up but still bought a membership.
somebody give me a Bulldog pat on the back! :D
Cement smoothie. Harden....up!:D

I'm with you. I live in London and my last live game of footy was our 2010 Prelim loss. I still buy a membership. I appreciate that everyone's financial situation is different but I think that if you can afford it you should buy a membership.

Going to games is different. I too would probably be finding excuses not to go....heck I'd sooner stay at home and paint the living room than watch the tripe we are dishing up at the moment. \Still. it will turn around and there is a lot to be encouraged about from the last couple of weeks.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Well said - you support through ups and downs....I really hope (though I doubt) that the club looks at this and tries to build this into their GF ticket allocation when it eventually happens.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Bullsh*t. Yes a premiership is the ultimate prize, but what was successful about that period was the brand of footy we played - it was exciting. You had neutrals for the first time ever wanting to come to bulldogs home and away games because it was good to watch. Our period of strength just so happened to coincide with Geelong's rise to power and the coming together of a Collingwood side that was pretty handy.Take the 3 prelims away and ask did you enjoy going to the footy?

chef
22-08-2012, 08:54 AM

I can clearly remember every time we have finished top 4. I'm also proud of of players being able to take us that far.

Eastdog
22-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Bullsh*t. Yes a premiership is the ultimate prize, but what was successful about that period was the brand of footy we played - it was exciting. You had neutrals for the first time ever wanting to come to bulldogs home and away games because it was good to watch. Our period of strength just so happened to coincide with Geelong's rise to power and the coming together of a Collingwood side that was pretty handy.Take the 3 prelims away and ask did you enjoy going to the footy?

It definitely was a great period for us and like you said we played an exciting brand of footy and were great to watch. The only problem was that Geelong, Collingwood etc were slightly better than us. I'm sure will get back to playing a good brand of footy again in a few years time.

LostDoggy
22-08-2012, 10:30 AM
The answer is simple - start winning games.

Until that happens, people will offer any excuse as can be sen in the posts above.

it doesn't matter whether the footy is good to look at, all is forgiven when the siren sounds and our team is in front.

All is forgiven when you bank the four points.

westdog54
22-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The answer is simple - start winning games.

Until that happens, people will offer any excuse as can be sen in the posts above.

it doesn't matter whether the footy is good to look at, all is forgiven when the siren sounds and our team is in front.

All is forgiven when you bank the four points.

And that's at least 2 years away from happening on a consistent basis, if you evaluate where we are at the moment.

Ozza
22-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Each to their own I guess. You can't make people go to the footy if they don't want to.

If the Bulldogs are playing in Melbourne, unless something important gets in the way. I go to the footy. Its just what we've always done in winter - support the footy club. I'm not really into making excuses.
The core of 12,000-15,000 bulldogs supporters will always be there - and the 10,000 or so barrackers will be there when things are going well.

LostDoggy
22-08-2012, 02:01 PM

The scary part? That fact pretty much suggests that you need to be successful not once, not twice, but consistently over a period of 20 to 30 years before you start to see tangible benefits. Our problem is that we're coming from a fair way back.

Remi Moses
22-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Each to their own I guess. You can't make people go to the footy if they don't want to.

If the Bulldogs are playing in Melbourne, unless something important gets in the way. I go to the footy. Its just what we've always done in winter - support the footy club. I'm not really into making excuses.
The core of 12,000-15,000 bulldogs supporters will always be there - and the 10,000 or so barrackers will be there when things are going well.

Good points. It all boils down to win loss scenario.
Take Stkilda for example, plain godly awful to watch but the membership grew.
Now playing a different brand and not as successful and dwindling membership will ensure.
As someone always said "We're in the win loss industry"

Dazza
23-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Must admit I missed a fair few more games than I would have if we were a chance of winning.

Being too hungover wasn't really an excuse during the prelim years.

DragzLS1
23-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I've been to more games this year then last year tbh..

azabob
23-08-2012, 08:55 PM
I've been to more games this year then last year tbh..

Last year wasn't exactly a bed of roses!

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Last year wasn't exactly a bed of roses!

Azabob, by the way, are you still a member of the Pat Vezpremi fan club? ^_^

azabob
23-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Azabob, by the way, are you still a member of the Pat Vezpremi fan club? ^_^

I certainly am, I think he can offer us more than he currently is, which is a problem in itself.

He has negatives but when he gets the footy he runs (albeit not fast) and kicks the ball a distance and isn't a bad kick - something we lack.

He dropped a lot of weight and got fitter over last summer, if he is still around I hope he continues to work his butt off as he has a smart footy brain.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I certainly am, I think he can offer us more than he currently is, which is a problem in itself.

He has negatives but when he gets the footy he runs (albeit not fast) and kicks the ball a distance and isn't a bad kick - something we lack.

He dropped a lot of weight and got fitter over last summer, if he is still around I hope he continues to work his butt off as he has a smart footy brain.

All good. Maybe a surprise packet in 2013? A bit maligned, but then again, people were writing off Easton Wood for a while. Funny the difference a few good games can make. I would dearly love to get the better of that trade.

Mantis
23-08-2012, 10:57 PM
All good. Maybe a surprise packet in 2013? A bit maligned, but then again, people were writing off Easton Wood for a while. Funny the difference a few good games can make. I would dearly love to get the better of that trade.

When were these few good games you mention?

Wood has been a massive disappointment this year.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2012, 11:05 PM
When were these few good games you mention?

Wood has been a massive disappointment this year.

Usually the ones in which or the one before he gets injured. :D

Come on Mantis. Didn't you think he held up well against Goodes?

Mantis
23-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Come on Mantis. Didn't you think he held up well against Goodes?

Goodes only had 22 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals.. Great job Easton. :rolleyes:

Topdog
24-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Until we play football that is actually watchable, you will find me at the local junior footy

A LOT of people will have similar sentiments. I haven't gone to the footy for the last 2 years (now 3 games a season as opposed to 13) for various reasons but I find I'm not even interested in the Dogs matches. Had no idea we were playing Geelong this week cos we are boring to watch.

My membership is and will remain on auto renewal though.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Goodes only had 22 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals.. Great job Easton. :rolleyes:

Like to see you do better with the amount of ball coming into the 50 in the third, fourth quarter. A dual Brownlow medalist. One on One, Easton did a great job.

LostDoggy
24-08-2012, 02:19 PM
If I was asked by the club for my thoughts, I'd tell them to forget about the fans that have gone. They're gone. They've made the decision and will cost a lot more to bring back.

I'd start focusing on the fans that are left. Start really taking care of the members, not in a gimmicky, run-by-the-marketing-team fashion but in a real sense of the word, from the top down. Let them know how much they're valued and appreciated for sticking fat.

Then, of course, the ones who've left, and those who are in the wings thinking of joining up, can see for themselves how valued the members are, and just might come back, and the value from the money spent is two- or three-fold.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2012, 03:01 PM
This is good BAS. I'd like to see a bit of the old school club mentality back in the place. I just got an email about a raffle - great idea! Hell I would pay $50 bucks for a ticket to win a place at a sausage sizzle with the players. What people hanker for is a bit of a personal touch. Get Barry Hall or someone to mingle with the fans before the game. Just a hello and a few handshakes does wonders.
The personal touch, or a feeling of community. Is that not what everyone really hankers for?
Actually as Sockeye suggested, many people are probably turning back to local footy. Hell, if I had a ground close to me, I might just consider it myself. I used to go to the Oakleigh Chargers ground and had a fine time.

Topdog
24-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Like to see you do better with the amount of ball coming into the 50 in the third, fourth quarter. A dual Brownlow medalist. One on One, Easton did a great job.

Pretty sure if Mantis was confident he could do a better job he'd be trying out for the AFL. As it stands though Eastern Wood is getting paid by the Bulldogs to perform better than what he did on the weekend.

Mantis
24-08-2012, 03:51 PM

What sort of comment is that?

Easton Wood has has another poor year... End of story.

This is good BAS. I'd like to see a bit of the old school club mentality back in the place. I just got an email about a raffle - great idea! Hell I would pay $50 bucks for a ticket to win a place at a sausage sizzle with the players. What people hanker for is a bit of a personal touch. Get Barry Hall or someone to mingle with the fans before the game. Just a hello and a few handshakes does wonders.
The personal touch, or a feeling of community. Is that not what everyone really hankers for?

I got a phone call from some flog trying to sell me raffle tickets:

Him: Hi, just ringing up on behalf of the Western Bulldogs.

Me: Ok.

Him: Yeah we are selling tickets for the major fund-raiser, a raffle with 'X' amount of prizes, tickets are $50, how many can I put you down for?

Me: None... Bye.

---

I know the club have to out-source from time to time, but getting flogs who are only interested in picking up their commission representing the club does nothing to engage me.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2012, 04:16 PM
What sort of comment is that?

Easton Wood has has another poor year... End of story.

I got a phone call from some flog trying to sell me raffle tickets:

Him: Hi, just ringing up on behalf of the Western Bulldogs.

Me: Ok.

Him: Yeah we are selling tickets for the major fund-raiser, a raffle with 'X' amount of prizes, tickets are $50, how many can I put you down for?

Me: None... Bye.

I know the club have to out-source from time to time, but getting flogs who are only interested in picking up their commission representing the club does nothing to engage me.

I didn't get a call. I got an email. tickets were 5 bucks. If I got a call like that, would react the same as you. Hate cold calling.

Re Easton, The ball was raining in the forward 50 last week, was it not? Mathew Scarlett wouldn't have been able to prevent all that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-08-2012, 04:58 PM
As an aside to this, what is happening on the Bulldoze the Debt initiative?
Been a while since I've heard the club actively engage with fans on this topic?
I mean I've given my support, but I don't really see/hear the club reporting on the progress.
Yet the Dee's are regularly reporting the progress they are making with their debt demolition.
Has the initiative run out of steam? Is the club out of ideas?

bornadog
24-08-2012, 05:31 PM
As an aside to this, what is happening on the Bulldoze the Debt initiative?
Been a while since I've heard the club actively engage with fans on this topic?
I mean I've given my support, but I don't really see/hear the club reporting on the progress.
Yet the Dee's are regularly reporting the progress they are making with their debt demolition.
Has the initiative run out of steam? Is the club out of ideas?

The buy a seat campaign in the old John Gent stand goes towards the debt.

Topdog
25-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Re Easton, The ball was raining in the forward 50 last week, was it not? Mathew Scarlett wouldn't have been able to prevent all that.

Inside 50's was 60-44 Sydneys way.

bornadog
25-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Update from my mate. Garlicks PA rang and said he would give my mate a call. My mate is in Brisbane next week and his son has been offered to run out with the players as well as be a mascot.

azabob
25-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Update from my Kate. Garlicks PA rang and said he would give my mate a call. My mate is in Brisbsnd next week and his don has been offered to run out with the players as well

Predictive text can be a killer hey BAD?

Will be interesting to see what Garlick has to say.

Apart from the players acting like they did, the worst part of this whole mess is that rather than concentrating on adding real value to our club he has to spend his time cleaning up other peoples muck ups. Wonder how many times a week he or others have to do something similar?

bornadog
25-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Predictive text can be a killer hey BAD?

Will be interesting to see what Garlick has to say.

Apart from the players acting like they did, the worst part of this whole mess is that rather than concentrating on adding real value to our club he has to spend his time cleaning up other peoples muck ups. Wonder how many times a week he or others have to do something similar?

Yeah sorry should have checked before I posted.

Yes makes you wonder. Little kids at that age are very vulnerable and can easily change their mind.. My mate was trying to give feedback to the club, he is not trying to get any advantage for his son. He is going to let me know what Simon says about the whole saga.

azabob
25-08-2012, 06:01 PM
My mate was trying to give feedback to the club, he is not trying to get any advantage for his son. He is going to let me know what Simon says about the whole saga.

Let me know what Simon Says to do ;)

Agree the club needs to be told of the feedback.

LostDoggy
25-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Update from my mate. Garlicks PA rang and said he would give my mate a call. My mate is in Brisbane next week and his son has been offered to run out with the players as well as be a mascot.

Nice bit of make-good compensation for the little bloke (even though that is not the motive behind your friend contacting the Club). However, I'd love to know Garlick's opinion on the players' attitude that day and how players generally are "instructed" to deal with enthusiastic fans. Beggars belief that they used those words (about being paid) to a small child.

bornadog
25-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice bit of make-good compensation for the little bloke (even though that is not the motive behind your friend contacting the Club). However, I'd love to know Garlick's opinion on the players' attitude that day and how players generally are "instructed" to deal with enthusiastic fans. Beggars belief that they used those words (about being paid) to a small child.

You can imagine Auskick at Willi, most of the kids are bulldogs fans, its not like Auskick down near where I live at Toorak Park. It wasn't only what they said, but it was their attitude in being there. They stayed away from the kids and just walked the boundary texting on their phones.