PDA

View Full Version : Players who have played for the Bulldogs, Fitzroy and Brisbane.

Twodogs
27-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Each monday I play a game with The Coon Dog. We try and come up with as many players who have played for both of the clubs we are playing the next week.

This week we came up with exactly 22 bulldogs who have also played with Fitzroy and Brisbane (Bears and Lions) and there were so many good players we decided to make a team out of them;

Backs: Mark Athorn, Chris Hansen, Brad Hardie

Half Backs: Matthew Dent, Peter Foster, Marcus Picken

Centreline: Michael McLean, Simon Atkins, Doug Hawkins

Half Forwards: Jim Edmond, Glenn Coleman, Richard Osborne

Forwards: Trent Bartlett, Bernie Quinlan, Justin Sherman

Rucks: Ben Hudson, Rod McPherson, Jason Akermanis

Interchange: Darren Collins, Travis Baird, Michael Martin, Shannon Corcoran

I make it 3 Brownlow medalists, 1 Coleman medalist, 7 All Australians, 10 state of origin reps and at least 7 players who won club B&Fs in that line up. The centreline and half forward lines are particularly good, as is the goal to goal line.

That side would give most teams currently playing a run for their money. Can anyone else think of any other players who played for both clubs?

Doc26
27-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Marty Pask went close but not quite.

Greg Parke did.

Bulldog4life
27-08-2012, 07:34 PM
John Barrett. Played in the early 50's for Footscray & Fitzroy. Helps having The Bulldogs Encyclopedia Book.:)

bulldogsfight
27-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Brian Okeefe in early 80's , father of Ryan
Alan Mcconell

Terry Walalce was zoned to Fitzroy and got traded to Hawthorn

Desipura
27-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Sorry, I thought Matthew Mansfield played games for Fitzroy when he was drafted by them after playing for us, he did not.
Also Craig Somerville is one of the players we shipped over to the bears with Rod Macpherson.

Sedat
27-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Andrew Taylor played for both Footscray and the Bears in the late 80's

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Greg Parke did.

Parke came from Melbourne (we traded him for Garry Baker), did he go to Fitzroy when he left us?

Grantysghost
28-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Matthew "Brad" Boyd plays for both according to Gerard Healy...

I recall a guy called Shannon Rusca drafted around the same time as Marcus Picken but don't think he played for us.

Doc26
28-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Parke came from Melbourne (we traded him for Garry Baker), did he go to Fitzroy when he left us?

Yes Sockeye, finished with us at the end of 75 then played the one season, 1977, for Fitzroy although I wasn't aware he was involved in the Gary Baker trade at the time which must have been at the end of the 73 season. I still have a Scanlens card of Gary Baker in the tri colours from their 74 release.

Twodogs
28-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Brian Okeefe in early 80's , father of Ryan
Alan Mcconell

O' Keefe and McConnell were both on Fitzroy's list but didnt play a senior game for them. I also worked ith a bloe called ken marks who won a Morrish medal for Fitzroy in the early '70s and played 3 ganes for us before playing almost 200 games in the VFA.

Also Craig Somerville is one of the players we shipped over to the bears with Rod Macpherson.

Somma didnt play a senior game for Brisbane though.

He went out with Leisel Jones didnt he? IIRC Aker reccomended him to us.

Andrew Taylor played for both Footscray and the Bears in the late 80's

Correct. He had a brother called John who played a few games for us too.

Terry Walalce was zoned to Fitzroy and got traded to Hawthorn

And Geoff Raines was zoned to us before going on to finish his career with Brisbane after a stellar career at Richmond.

Greg Parke did.

I didnt know he finished at Fitzroy but Doc26 is right.

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Pretty sure Darren Collins came from Collingwood.
Kicked 5 in the wet against Stkilda at Waverley I think.
1989 ish, if that's the same Collins?

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 03:01 AM

I recall a guy called Shannon Rusca drafted around the same time as Marcus Picken but don't think he played for us.

Basil Zemphlis, the unfunny WA commentator called him Brad the other week to:eek:

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 03:02 AM

Think he got traded to us but didn't play a game.

The Coon Dog
28-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Pretty sure Darren Collins came from Collingwood.
Kicked 5 in the wet against Stkilda at Waverley I think.
1989 ish, if that's the same Collins?
First thing I thought of too when chatting with Twodogs.Quite a few were kicked off the ground too.

Sedat
28-08-2012, 10:46 AM
First thing I thought of too when chatting with Twodogs.Quite a few were kicked off the ground too.
If I remember correctly, John Georgiades also tried to kick a goal off the carpet in the goal square that day but only proceeded to kick Trevor Barker's face instead - TB got a broken jaw for his troubles.

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Lockett broke his ankle in that game. Led to the famous "crutch throwing" at a young EddieMcguire.

Desipura
28-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Had the blonde tips and remember him kicking a nice torp through the big sticks, number 34.
John Mumbles Taylor ahh the memories!

Twodogs
28-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Had the blonde tips and remember him kicking a nice torp through the big sticks, number 34.
John Mumbles Taylor ahh the memories!

I have a very vivid memory of his debut against Collingwood at Whitten Oval. Collingwood had pretty much controlled the game but we were kicking toward the Geelong Rd end in the last quarter and coming home with a wet sail. Late in the game Collingwood were less than a goal in front and the ball was in dispute about 20 metres out from our goal. Someone flicked a handball out to Taylor 15 metres out dead in front, miles in the clear and he just froze! He stood there looking at the ball in his hand until a Collingwood player tackled him and it spilled free.

He must have had the ball in his hand for nearly 5 seconds (it felt like 10 minutes) just standing there. I can still remember the crowd yelling "Kick the bloody thing, just kick it!"

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Mumbles and his brother and those great u/19 hopes Royce get blabbering on about.
I think Super was the only decent player from that group.