PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Brendan McCartney - 28th August, 2012

bornadog
28-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/member%20message%20from%20brendan%20mccartney/tabid/18836/default.aspx)

Dear Member,

Apart from two, ten minute patches, we liked a lot about what we did on Sunday.

We would have liked to be more competitive at the start of the game and towards the end of the game and not let Geelong play the way they wanted but we saw some players, not start well and work their way back into the game — and that’s a positive.

We got the game into a contest and scored off the back of that and we were much more productive defensively. We thought we hung in there and got ourselves back in the game when Geelong threatened to break the game open — that was another pleasing aspect.

It was just good to see guys that haven’t played a lot of footy prepared to take the game on and back themselves against more experienced opponents. Sometimes when you’re out there, you’re playing on an opponent that you’ve seen play exceptionally well for a long time, it can have an impact on the way you play. Not all, but quite a few of our younger guys came out the other side which is a good result.

Having said that, we still got beaten by 34 points. We’ve got plenty to work on, including how we move the ball away from contest areas and how we maximise our hard work.

We will continue to build a football program that gives our players the best opportunity to learn to play the right way.

We spoke after the Geelong game about finishing off the season in the right fashion and that’s getting off to a good start against the Lions and sustaining it for the length of the game — playing all areas of the game well for four quarters

Sincerely,

Brendan

Remi Moses
28-08-2012, 10:59 PM
As a mate of mine put it do succinctly
The last 10 weeks have been a kick in the gonads,and this week was a kick in the arse that's not meant to hurt as much:(

Ghost Dog
29-08-2012, 01:22 PM
As a mate of mine put it do succinctly
The last 10 weeks have been a kick in the gonads,and this week was a kick in the arse that's not meant to hurt as much:(

So this week, crossing our fingers for a kick in the shins :D

Desipura
29-08-2012, 01:43 PM
This site is starting to get a BF feel about it.

Ozza
29-08-2012, 03:29 PM
We all knew that coming into this year - it would be tough to watch and not many wins.

The last couple of weeks have given me some optimism about where we are headed. As hard as it has been to watch at certain stages this season - I think Macca is going to be good for the group and turn the young group into a good side in a couple of years time.

Remi Moses
29-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Personally reckon the coach is going to be good.
Yeah we've got issues, and really need a few good drafts

ledge
29-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I believe he is changing the whole culture as in not being good for just 3 or 4 years but lasting for decades, it's why we have to be patient.

LongWait
29-08-2012, 04:19 PM

The BF Bulldogs board is a bit more civil and tolerant than here imho.

Maddog37
29-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I believe he is changing the whole culture as in not being good for just 3 or 4 years but lasting for decades, it's why we have to be patient.

This is my hope too. Macca certainly never deviates from what he is trying to do it seems.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Since day 1 i have had full confidence in Macca, believing he is exactly what we need to turn this club around culturally which will ultimately impact on our success. Understanding a culture change takes several years i knew patience was important BUT i didn't think this season would be as bad as it has been. Its tested my patience on multiple occasions thinking there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but im still sticking with my original belief!

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Nope, nope and nope........can't see forward in this current structure...Hope I am wrong.

jeemak
29-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Nope, nope and nope........can't see forward in this current structure...Hope I am wrong.

Excellent argument. I'm almost coming around to your way of thinking!

SlimPickens
29-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Excellent argument. I'm almost coming around to your way of thinking!

I agree Jermak...he had me at the third nope.

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 07:52 PM
The BF Bulldogs board is a bit more civil and tolerant than here imho.

Maybe you should stay there then.

ledge
29-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Civil and tolerant sounds like a contradiction

FrediKanoute
29-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Maybe you should stay there then.

He's made a comment and the response is most bf like. We don't always see eye to eye or keyboard stroke to keyboard stroke, but your response has almost proven the point made by Long Wait.

If you don't agree, then maybe in the spirit of discussion and argument query why LW feels that way? That would add more to the conversation that suggesting LW bugger off.

This has been a trying year. The team has been horrible to watch. There are question marks on the coach. Players we had hopes for have gone backwards. That though is no reason to contribute to the degeneration of the conversation on the board. All you end up doing is driving people with differing views away and that doesn't make for a good conversation.

Have a think about it. Have a think about why you log in and post on the WOOF forum.

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I like McCartney's level headed approach in these emails (which are essentially taken from his press conferences). I do not understand the technicalities of footy but know I have not enjoyed the beltings this season. However, listening to coach after each game, he seems to understand what's going on, what needs to be done etc. I also like him having a different player in the hot seat next to him each week (was really impressed with young Wallis last week). I've always felt comfortable knowing that Chris Grant had a hand in selecting this coach.

Ghost Dog
29-08-2012, 11:00 PM
He's made a comment and the response is most bf like. We don't always see eye to eye or keyboard stroke to keyboard stroke, but your response has almost proven the point made by Long Wait.

If you don't agree, then maybe in the spirit of discussion and argument query why LW feels that way? That would add more to the conversation that suggesting LW bugger off.

This has been a trying year. The team has been horrible to watch. There are question marks on the coach. Players we had hopes for have gone backwards. That though is no reason to contribute to the degeneration of the conversation on the board. All you end up doing is driving people with differing views away and that doesn't make for a good conversation.

Have a think about it. Have a think about why you log in and post on the WOOF forum.

Woof.net makes it tolerable!

Ghost Dog
29-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Good point. I just hope the members can hang in there. Having a VFL club of our own would be a good way to move forward and maintain interest, during a rebuilding phase. As much you want to Poo Poo it, the NAB win was a great moment, for me me anyway, and I really have enjoyed the Williamstown connection. Being able to follow blokes as they come up through the ranks. If they are wearing the tri-colors, all the better for the brand. ( If we can afford it! )
And if this does happen, that molding process Ledge mentioned should be a bit easier.

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I like McCartney's level headed approach in these emails (which are essentially taken from his press conferences). I do not understand the technicalities of footy but know I have not enjoyed the beltings this season. However, listening to coach after each game, he seems to understand what's going on, what needs to be done etc. I also like him having a different player in the hot seat next to him each week (was really impressed with young Wallis last week). I've always felt comfortable knowing that Chris Grant had a hand in selecting this coach.

I'm pretty sure this is an AFL directive, not a McCartney-ism.

westdog54
30-08-2012, 01:08 AM

Correct. Requirement of the broadcasting agreement.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 01:08 AM

How disappointing. I don't like approving of anything that comes from the fat cats.

Desipura
30-08-2012, 07:29 AM

This is a great post, thanks for going to the effort.

Desipura
30-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Minsons average stats from his first 5 games in 2004 where

2 kicks per game, 3.4 disposals per game, 0.8 marks per game and 7.4 hit outs per game.

Campbells avg stats in his first 6 games in comparison

3.7 kicks, 7.3 disposals, 2.7 marks and 12.2 hit outs.
Minson was 19yo when he debut, Campbell 20yo.

Perhaps this that are harsh on Campbell should look at the above and realize his stats are quiet good if you compare them to Minson's.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Aren't I even allowed to say my post was deleted? LW is right.

bornadog
30-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Why do you say that?

Desipura
30-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Why do you say that?
Agood example is the post above yours, no more on the topic from me.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Already thought about this.
I used to be able to write things that weren't offensive to anyone nor trolling without it being deleted or blasted by a moderator for 'exaggeration'.
I've lost a lot of interest which is sad as Ive been here since day dot just about.

What's wrong with asking why people continue to post here if they think it's a less a forum than BF or has a feel like BF?

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I used to be able to write things that weren't offensive to anyone nor trolling without it being deleted or blasted by a moderator for 'exaggeration'.
I've lost a lot of interest which is sad as Ive been here since day dot just about.

What's wrong with asking why people continue to post here if they think it's a less a forum than BF or has a feel like BF?

Good luck chops....

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Sometimes, it's not what you say, but the way you say it?

jeemak
31-08-2012, 12:26 AM

So have you changed your posting style or has everybody become a lot more sensitive towards your posts?

You're a passionate Bulldogs person and that is reflected in your posts, though at the moment a lot of negativity is coming through in what you write and it can be hard to determine whether you're having a crack at other posters, the club, the coach or the players just for the sake of it.

I'm an infant at WOOF compared to you, and your contributions that I've witnessed around here since I've joined have been bloody good reading a lot of the time.

Chicago1
31-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Since day 1 i have had full confidence in Macca, believing he is exactly what we need to turn this club around culturally which will ultimately impact on our success. Understanding a culture change takes several years i knew patience was important BUT i didn't think this season would be as bad as it has been. Its tested my patience on multiple occasions thinking there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but im still sticking with my original belief!

After seeing your avatar, you've(we've) had twice as many reasons to wish this year was over! ;)