PDA

View Full Version : Wallis re-signs with Dogs

G-Mo77
29-08-2012, 08:11 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/nabwallis246.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Mitch Wallis dreams about following in the footsteps of his father Steve by captaining the club.

The 19-year-old - who has re-signed with his beloved Bulldogs until the end of 2015 - says leadership is part of his make-up as a player and a person.

Watch Mitch Wallis speak to BulldogsTV on the media player above about re-signing with the Club and his aspirations for the future.

"It is a dream," Wallis told westernbulldogs.com.au when asked about the prospect of captaincy.

"But you don't think about that. You think of small steps first … Just bringing the group closer together so we play as mates is the direction I'm trying to take the club.

"I think leadership's a part of my game and how I play and how I prepare. But I've got to learn a lot before I start demanding of others. But it is part and parcel of who I am, so hopefully it'll be ingrained in me for years to come."

Steve Wallis, who played 261 games for the Bulldogs from 1983-96, captained the club in 1989, Mick Malthouse's last season as coach.

His son is a highly impressive midfielder who hasn’t suffered any second-year blues.

After playing six games in his debut 2011 season, Wallis junior has managed 18 games this year and averaged 22.5 disposals and four tackles.

He was the round-four nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star award.

Wallis also spoke about his excitement about the Bulldogs' future, his breakout season, and the influences of his father and coach Brendan McCartney.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/146030/default.aspx

bornadog
29-08-2012, 10:15 AM
If he doesn't win the rising star this year, then I am convinced the AFL treats us like a non-entity.

Has improved immensely this year and still more room left. I think he will become a real damaging player in years to come.

comrade
29-08-2012, 10:55 AM
If he doesn't win the rising star this year, then I am convinced the AFL treats us like a non-entity.

Has improved immensely this year and still more room left. I think he will become a real damaging player in years to come.

It's just a popularity contest, driven by media exposure. He won't win it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Really? I would've thought Adelaide's Talia would have a significant claim to favouritism for this award. Arguably is close to All Australian selection.

bornadog
29-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Really? I would've thought Adelaide's Talia would have a significant claim to favouritism for this award. Arguably is close to All Australian selection.

from the HUN today:

Expect Wallis to push Adelaide's Daniel Talia for the Rising Star award next month after a standout second season in which he has averaged 22.5 possessions in 18 games.

The Dog ranks first among Rising Star nominees for total clearances and contested possessions.

SlimPickens
29-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Agree, he has been outstanding this year. Both are deserved winners, to suggest we are a non-entity in the eyes if the AFL because a group of selectors made up of media, past players and league officials dont vote for Wallis is a bit of a stretch.

bornadog
29-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Agree, he has been outstanding this year. Both are deserved winners, to suggest we are a non-entity in the eyes if the AFL because a group of selectors made up of media, past players and league officials dont vote for Wallis is a bit of a stretch.

They are the biggest culprits. and yes I do suggest that, I have followed our club for too long to think otherwise.

DragzLS1
29-08-2012, 12:05 PM
They are the biggest culprits. and yes I do suggest that, I have followed our club for too long to think otherwise.

This is why we need to step up and show them up over teh coming years

Cyberdoggie
30-08-2012, 12:31 PM
You can't compare the two with stats, as one is a defender and the other a midfielder.

I would say Talia is a fair way in front as he is an A grade quality defender who has rarely been beaten all year.

Wallis is an emerging midfielder who is particularly damaging as yet, and certainly wouldn't be called an A grade midfielder.

Talia is a dead cert.