PDA

View Full Version : Ratten sacked

OLD SCRAGGer
29-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Just heard on SEN that Carlton have told Brett Ratten he will be sacked after final game at weekend!!!!

BulldogBelle
29-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Imagine if Rocket got the job?

But it's going to be so interesting seeing the Malthouse take-over evolve.

Feel bad for Ratten tbh.

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Just heard on SEN that Carlton have told Brett Ratten he will be sacked after final game at weekend!!!!

It's a filthy game. It is an absolute disgrace the way the press, notably Herald sun and Age have speculated on this.

And Malthouse has been anything but profesional with his comments as well.

jeemak
29-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Club denies it:

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Carlton-say-no-truth-to-Ratten-rumours/48432

Greystache
29-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Fox Sports reporting he has been sacked and that Malthouse is going to be announced as new coach soon.

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Nothing on the Age Website

KT31
29-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Club denies it:

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Carlton-say-no-truth-to-Ratten-rumours/48432

He is stuffed then.

bornadog
29-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Press conference tomorrow to reveal all. Judd is also stepping down as captain.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Cut throat business much?

Ratten has really only had the one underperforming season, and there's a list of reasons out of his control because of that.

At the same time, I don't blame Carlton if they could potentially secure Malthouse (and maybe Cloke?).

ratsmac
29-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Feel for Ratten but his time is definitely up. I liked him as Carlton's coach because he was keeping them crap. Malthouse could really turn them into a powerhouse :(

Greystache
29-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Feel for Ratten but his time is definitely up. I liked him as Carlton's coach because he was keeping them crap. Malthouse could really turn them into a powerhouse :(

Yep mixed emotions- I like to see Carlton struggling and sacking coaches, but on the other hand Ratten could have kept them down for years.

Greystache
29-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Fox Sports now reporting they'll be no announcement until 9.30am tomorrow but Ratten has told family members he's been sacked.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Why the hold off?

comrade
29-08-2012, 06:55 PM
You have to hand it to Carlton. When they want to get shit done, they'll move heaven and earth to do it.

jeemak
29-08-2012, 07:27 PM
You have to hand it to Carlton. When they want to get shit done, they'll move heaven and earth to do it.

Yeah but it doesn't mean they'll get success because of it. I'm not confident they have the personnel to win a flag.

GVGjr
29-08-2012, 07:40 PM
It's a filthy game. It is an absolute disgrace the way the press, notably Herald sun and Age have speculated on this.

And Malthouse has been anything but profesional with his comments as well.

If true, Malthouse has done exactly what Hird did to Knights.

Ratten to Port will gain momentum. I think he is a good coach.

comrade
29-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah but it doesn't mean they'll get success because of it. I'm not confident they have the personnel to win a flag.

I agree.

AndrewP6
29-08-2012, 09:30 PM
If true, then that is disgraceful (and probably typical, in the case of that filthy mob Carrrrlton). To come out and say they won't be doing anything until season's end, and then before season's end, give a guy the flick, absolutely stinks. IF it's true.

Sedat
29-08-2012, 09:58 PM
The Herald-Sun subbies will be licking their lips at being able to use the headline..."Ratt-sack" one last time

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 10:06 PM
The Herald-Sun subbies will be licking their lips at being able to use the headline..."Ratt-sack" one last time

:) I've been using it all week.

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 10:10 PM
They say he is going to coach the last game! Why would he want to?

Ghost Dog
29-08-2012, 10:57 PM
If true, Malthouse has done exactly what Hird did to Knights.

Ratten to Port will gain momentum. I think he is a good coach.

He's well liked isn't he? Gold Coast have caused headaches this season. Hunt arguably booted Richmond out of the top 8. Then after falling away, Ratten rallied his blokes, only to have all the good of a string of good games unravel. The GC game definitely cost him his job. Stupid really.

Just goes to show though, upsets happen. Take heart Dogs.

Remi Moses
30-08-2012, 02:16 AM
How in hell are they beneath the salary cap ?
Cloke and Judd in the one side!:eek:
I am Cheating should be the motto.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 09:51 AM
How in hell are they beneath the salary cap ?
Cloke and Judd in the one side!:eek:
I am Cheating should be the motto.

If you look at the portion of Judd's wage that doesn't count (i.e. paid by Visy) it's probably possible.

bornadog
30-08-2012, 09:57 AM
If you look at the portion of Judd's wage that doesn't count (i.e. paid by Visy) it's probably possible.

Judd has one year to go on his 5 year deal which is reported at another $600,000. Simpson and Waite can go on the Vet list, so apparently they have room.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Press conference: Sacked, but will coach this week. Feel bad for him.

Mofra
30-08-2012, 10:47 AM
50.8% winning record, and just signed an extention at the end of last year.

It's a cut-throat business, especially considering Carlton had injury issues mid-year.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 03:59 PM
It really does highlight why some coaches would play injured players though doesn't it? It's their career or his, basically…

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 04:32 PM
50.8% winning record, and just signed an extention at the end of last year.

It's a cut-throat business, especially considering Carlton had injury issues mid-year.

Walls ( who I dislike ) makes a good point, Worsfold and Clarke all had lengthy periods where their Win / Loss was around 50%.
Sacking their coach and getting Malthouse hopefully sets them up for a massive fail.

GVGjr
30-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Walls ( who I dislike ) makes a good point, Worsfold and Clarke all had lengthy periods where their Win / Loss was around 50%.
Sacking their coach and getting Malthouse hopefully sets them up for a massive fail.

There has to be more to this than what they are saying. He has another 12 months to go on his contract so unless it's a board member or two insisting that he go or a sponsor who will come on board if someone else is appointed it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Has Malthouse already got the job?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2012, 08:05 PM
There has to be more to this than what they are saying. He has another 12 months to go on his contract so unless it's a board member or two insisting that he go or a sponsor who will come on board if someone else is appointed it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Has Malthouse already got the job?

I thought Kernahan's response when asked whether Ratten would've still been sacked if Malthouse wasn't available was important. He had a long pause and then said something along the lines of 'it would've been line ball'
This to me infers that Malthouse loomed large in their thoughts when making the call.

If this is the case, then Walls (though I'm loathe to admit) might just be right, that Carlton is rolling the dice, again, hastily much like they did when they booted Brittain once they thought they could get a name coach in Pagan to come on board.

Remi Moses
30-08-2012, 09:06 PM
They thought Pagan would be the savior.
I find it odd that Kernahan says he's got "blood on his hands " Yet stays as president:eek:
If the Dogs, or Roos sacked a coach and had to payout 600 large we'd never hear the end of it!
Yet the club carrying the highest debt does it and nothing is said.

Sockeye Salmon
30-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Judd has one year to go on his 5 year deal which is reported at another $600,000. Simpson and Waite can go on the Vet list, so apparently they have room.

The vets list rules have changed. Now anyone with 10 years service has $112K taken off the cap. Simpson and Waite would only save them $224K. Scotland might have 10 years up as well.

jeemak
30-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Are the Blues still claiming special assistance? If so, they really should have 500K subtracted from it for this year.