PDA

View Full Version : Smorgon and Lin Jong on Eddie Tonight - 8.30 Foxfooty

bornadog
29-08-2012, 06:04 PM
On tonight

LostDoggy
29-08-2012, 07:10 PM
On tonight

Smorgon is he still around, hardly seen him all year where has he been hiding?;)

Eastdog
29-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Smorgon is he still around, hardly seen him all year where has he been hiding?;)

Apparently a while back on radio he said he really didn't have too much to say and that we will be alright despite this bad patch and he was still committed to the club until his time was up.

ledge
29-08-2012, 08:42 PM

He agreed to take a more behind the scenes president this year

ledge
29-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Looking forward to hearing Jong speak heard him on radio very impressed.

Doc26
29-08-2012, 08:58 PM
On tonight

Thanks BD, would've missed this otherwise.

Greystache
30-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I IQ'd the show and watched the Smorgon and Jong segment, not a huge amount said. Smorgon was on first on his own, mostly talked about growing the brand across the western suburbs focusing on the kids who are following soccer. He likened the west of Melbourne to Western Sydney, a fast growing area where AFL isn't the primary sport currently. He also talked about how the club has a committee currently conducting a search for the next president with a view to doing a handover with Smorgon. David himself won't be part of that committee as he doesn't feel it's his place to be involved in the search for his replacement.

Lin Jong came on later to join Smorgon. He's quite a shy kid, didn't say huge amounts, but did show a letter he received directly from the Prime Minister of Taiwan to congratulate him on his AFL debut which was interesting.

For no particular reason, but having watched the interview tonight I think he'll be elevated to the senior list next season.

Hotdog60
30-08-2012, 06:21 AM
I IQ'd the show and watched the Smorgon and Jong segment, not a huge amount said. Smorgon was on first on his own, mostly talked about growing the brand across the western suburbs focusing on the kids who are following soccer. He likened the west of Melbourne to Western Sydney, a fast growing area where AFL isn't the primary sport currently. He also talked about how the club has a committee currently conducting a search for the next president with a view to doing a handover with Smorgon. David himself won't be part of that committee as he doesn't feel it's his place to be involved in the search for his replacement.

Lin Jong came on later to join Smorgon. He's quite a shy kid, didn't say huge amounts, but did show a letter he received directly from the Prime Minister of Taiwan to congratulate him on his AFL debut which was interesting.

For no particular reason, but having watched the interview tonight I think he'll be elevated to the senior list next season.

Thanks Greystache, I have fox but I can't stand Eddie so thanks for the report.

always right
30-08-2012, 09:35 AM

It was actually the Prime Minister of East Timor. He's a likeable young man Lin and I heard he was incredibly nervous going on Eddie's show. He handled himself well.

I loved his use of the term 'crack in". Seems that our players have been brain washed to repeat this mantra at every opportunity.:)

Maddog37
30-08-2012, 09:39 AM
They must hear it a thousand times a week!!!

Lin Jong is as brave a kid as I can remember seeing.

Edit. Cal Ward was pretty rugged too but........gees that still burns in my guts losing him.

bornadog
30-08-2012, 09:42 AM
They must hear it a thousand times a week!!!

Lin Jong is as brave a kid as I can remember seeing.

Edit. Cal Ward was pretty rugged too but........gees that still burns in my guts losing him.

and Harbrow.

stefoid
30-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Hope they upgrade him.

always right
30-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Hope they upgrade him.

They'd be mad not to. He drags 40 of his friends along to see him play every week:)

The beauty of Lin is he can be the face of our club to attract newcomers to the Western Suburbs...and it appears at this early stage that the boy can play a bit. Win/Win.

always right
30-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Whilst we're on this topic.....couldn't help but be impressed by Smorgon last night. Sure he's a salesman but he is always right on message and talks the club up at every opportunity. Whether you agree with everything he's done in his time as president, no-one can fault his passion for the bulldogs and the positive image he constantly portrays for the club. He's been a class act and supporters owe him big time.

turtle
30-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Whilst we're on this topic.....couldn't help but be impressed by Smorgon last night. Sure he's a salesman but he is always right on message and talks the club up at every opportunity. Whether you agree with everything he's done in his time as president, no-one can fault his passion for the bulldogs and the positive image he constantly portrays for the club. He's been a class act and supporters owe him big time.

Could not agree more.

Smorgon, along with Brayshaw, has the toughest job in the competition. I know who I would rather have. I think he has done an outstanding job given what he has at his disposal. I don't agree with everything he's done, but I cannot question that he's always done what he believes has been in the best interests of the club.

I will be eternally grateful for what he has done for the club that I love

LongWait
30-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Could not agree more.

Smorgon, along with Brayshaw, has the toughest job in the competition. I know who I would rather have. I think he has done an outstanding job given what he has at his disposal. I don't agree with everything he's done, but I cannot question that he's always done what he believes has been in the best interests of the club.

I will be eternally grateful for what he has done for the club that I love

You have both captured my sentiments exactly. We should be grateful to Smorgon and also respect that he has known when it is time for another to take the helm. David has handled the whole process with his usual dignity and willingness to do what is right for the club.

Throughandthrough
30-08-2012, 05:05 PM

hear hear

Best post on this board for months and months

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Love Smorgo's Bulldog passion. But the glasses and colour in his hair - ridiculous. :)

bornadog
30-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Love Smorgo's Bulldog passion. But the glasses and colour in his hair - ridiculous. :)

I thought he looked great, not bad for someone in their 60's.

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 11:39 PM

He's had a rinse put through his hair that wasn't there 12 months ago. At his age, ridiculous.

always right
31-08-2012, 09:11 AM
He's had a rinse put through his hair that wasn't there 12 months ago. At his age, ridiculous.

Wish I had hair to put a rinse through.

LostDoggy
31-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Wish I had hair to put a rinse through.

I put grey through mine - nobody notices:confused:

Maddog37
31-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Who made you the judge of what people should look like Andrew? A bit shallow isn't it?

If it makes him happy then good luck to him..........

always right
31-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Who made you the judge of what people should look like Andrew? A bit shallow isn't it?

I'm still getting over that god awful peroxide job James Cook put through his hair. (James Cook the footy player, not the British explorer).

Chicago1
31-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey, watch it! I join El Presidente in that age group on Monday! :mad:

:p

AndrewP6
31-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Ummm... This is a forum, for opinions. I had one, I expressed it, you don't have to agree. Sheesh, lighten up already.

Maddog37
31-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise it was a joke.

AndrewP6
31-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise it was a joke.

Well, it was a half-joke. I do think he looks ridiculous with dyed hair, but it wasn't of earth-shattering importance.

Eastdog
01-09-2012, 12:29 AM
We have to tolerate people we don't agree with in order for us to be free to have an opinion.

JohnGentStand
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
i agree with all of this. Smorgo is a class act. Lin Jong should be elevated. He has a massive upside. Kicking will improve, he is as fearless as any going around, good size, strong through the hips, not slow...., good hands...I think doggy supporters are going to love him. We may have another Dahl !

Eastdog
01-09-2012, 12:53 AM
i agree with all of this. Smorgo is a class act. Lin Jong should be elevated. He has a massive upside. Kicking will improve, he is as fearless as any going around, good size, strong through the hips, not slow...., good hands...I think doggy supporters are going to love him. We may have another Dahl !

Really looking forward seeing more of Lin Jong in 2013.

Sedat
01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
My Collingwood mates reckon that Derek Hine (Collingwood recruiter) was a big fan of Jong as well and wanted to rookie him last season.

Hotdog60
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Many happy returns, I think.
I'm 8 years behind and I think I can sympathize with the players and having niggles.:)
There's always a new one each day.

bornadog
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chicago:)

Remi Moses
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Very difficult job he has.Good move not on the succession plan committe.
Lin Jong was impressive as well

Remi Moses
01-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks Greystache, I have fox but I can't stand Eddie so thanks for the report.

For all Mcguire's faults( there are plenty) at least he doesn't advocate teams like us and Norf should be kicked out of the comp. Frank Costa and Brian Cook and the ex Hawthorn bloke ( the one who was going to be seen and not heard):rolleyes:

azabob
02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
For all Mcguire's faults( there are plenty) at least he doesn't advocate teams like us and Norf should be kicked out of the comp. Frank Costa and Brian Cook and the ex Hawthorn bloke ( the one who was going to be seen and not heard):rolleyes:

Can you elaborate further on Costa and Cook?

Remi Moses
02-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Can you elaborate further on Costa and Cook?

Cook's banged on about "to many Melb clubs" and the AFL can't keep subsidizing Melb clubs.
Costa's said the same thing as well.
The irony is in the late 90's The Geelong council wrote of a debt in the millions owed from the Geelong F.C.!

Hotdog60
02-09-2012, 09:12 AM

I not knocking the mans deeds, He has done as big a job for the wobbles as David has for the dogs and if you could drain the B & W out of his veins he would be a perfect replacement for David because you know he's going to go in swinging.

But as a TV personality he is cringe worthy.:)

Remi Moses
02-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I not knocking the mans deeds, He has done as big a job for the wobbles as David has for the dogs and if you could drain the B & W out of his veins he would be a perfect replacement for David because you know he's going to go in swinging.

But as a TV personality he is cringe worthy.:)

Think he's a good host, but that show on Fox is horrible