PDA

View Full Version : Should we talk to Ratten?

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I've seen many posts from various posters questioning our current coach's match day expertise and tactical nouse and although i don't entirely agree i thought i would throw up the question.

Should we have a look at Ratten as a senior assistant to Macca, to help with match day tactics and so forth?

BulldogBelle
30-08-2012, 01:45 PM
We definitely should before the pies claim him.

bornadog
30-08-2012, 02:20 PM
We definitely should before the pies claim him.

Yes we need some experience.

Murphy'sLore
30-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm sure I heard that one of the strikes against Ratten was that he was a static, unresponsive game-day coach, which suggests he wouldn't be ideal for us at the moment.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I think he is damaged goods and will be so for a while.
Described as a 'great Carlton man' why wouldnt you be angry with the way it's panned out for him after say the club was ruthless!
Coaching out the season when there is nothing to gain?
Stinks a bit too much for me.

Ozza
30-08-2012, 03:03 PM
An interesting proposition as a midfield coach.

always right
30-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I think he is damaged goods and will be so for a while.
Described as a 'great Carlton man' why wouldnt you be angry with the way it's panned out for him after say the club was ruthless!
Coaching out the season when there is nothing to gain?
Stinks a bit too much for me.

Not sure what you are saying.

Do you mean he wouldn't be interested or we wouldn't be interested in him?

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 03:13 PM
He may be a "Carlton Man" but i'm sure he is also a career-minded individual. His days at Carlton in any capacity are well and truly over i would think.

I wouldn't be against it. He is very Experienced at the top level as both a coach and player and i rekon he would be a valuable asset. I hope the dogs hierarchy have a look at him.
He can take Monty's spot.

LongWait
30-08-2012, 03:23 PM
He may be a "Carlton Man" but i'm sure he is also a career-minded individual. His days at Carlton in any capacity are well and truly over i would think.

I wouldn't be against it. He is very Experienced at the top level as both a coach and player and i rekon he would be a valuable asset. I hope the dogs hierarchy have a look at him.
He can take Monty's spot.

Rumor around that Cameron Mooney is earmarked for that spot.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Cameron Mooney? I just don't get it. He was a good player, but how much coaching experience does he have? I'd have a Gary Ayers or a really solid and proven tactician any day. This is what we lack.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes we need some experience.

Ratten is a quality person and would be great as a 2IC to McCartney,who does lack IMO the experience of someone like Ratten around him. Ratten has been savagely dealt with by Carlton and a new lease of life at the Bulldogs would suit both parties.

mighty_west
30-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Rumor around that Cameron Mooney is earmarked for that spot.

I have heard that one as well, I wouldn't be against someone like Ratten at our club, would certainly bring in alot of experience, and going by the way he's handled himself today, quality person as well.

Topdog
30-08-2012, 04:00 PM
No harm talking to him. He might know of some good places to go out for a meal. Wouldn't bother talking to him about coaching though.

bornadog
30-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Wouldn't bother talking to him about coaching though.

Any reason?

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I think Ratten will enjoy being at a club where he can get a bit more perspective. Maybe he's a bit too passionate about Carlton.

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Why would we get a bloke who could not get a team over the line to September more then once, take him as an assistant, old saying to many cooks.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah but a coach's role is different to an assistant. The thread asks if he would make a good assistant.
A coach has to delegate, something Ratten was not good at ( ref Jake Niall, today's age )
by all accounts. An assistant doesn't have to worry about that, and has a limited focus.

ledge
30-08-2012, 06:23 PM
He has said he wants to be a career coach he will apply for the port job

LostDoggy
30-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Not sure what you are saying.

Do you mean he wouldn't be interested or we wouldn't be interested in him?

Not interested ATM.
He can't see or say he is being screwed by Carlton. If he can't analyze what's in front of him, so he is no good til he can.

Bulldog Joe
30-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I would be against Ratten as I believe he is not a quality coach. He was regularly out coached, despite having a very good list.

He would have been gone earlier but for our inability to win over the Blues in July.

Ratten has always appeared to me that he would be more at home in the cheer squad and seemed to mostly be barracking rather than coaching.

jeemak
30-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Not interested ATM.
He can't see or say he is being screwed by Carlton. If he can't analyze what's in front of him, so he is no good til he can.

Don't agree with you much recently it seems, though I think you are on the money with this.

Carlton don't see him as the man for the job, and they have shafted him and placed him in the position where he has to pad out the last game of the year because they know he loves the club too much to tell them to piss off.

Surely they could have waited until the end of the year, and surely Ratten should have enough pride to immediately move on and turn his back on them after being treated so poorly. He's given much of his life to that club and they couldn't allow him the dignity of finishing off the season as the senior coach.

All that aside, I've been told he's not regarded as someone assistant coaches want to be associated with or do an apprenticeship under if they can avoid it (that information is not from numerous sources, just one, so I'm not going to take it as gospel). The intimation was he wasn't a very technical or strategic coach.

Take that for what it's worth. From what I've seen he's been able to get a mid table list to mid table positions, though with injuries had a very tough year which has brought him unstuck. I also think it's often forgotten by people like Kernahan, Smorgon etc just how bloody hard it is to make top four in an eighteen team competition.

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't know a great deal about him, but we definitely need something.

jeemak
30-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I don't know a great deal about him, but we definitely need something.

Well it might be a good idea for us to determine what we need prior to throwing mentoring or assistant positions around the place.

Before we do that though, we all need to agree on the motivation behind the coaching decisions we saw throughout 2012, whether they be related to selection, positioning, tactics or whatever and we all need to agree on what's gone wrong (which should be easy enough considering how well we've all been getting along with eachother recently).

As soon as we agree on that, the rest will fall in to place. Trouble is though, none of us know the real motivation behind the moves made by the coaching staff this year, so it's easiest for us to point to incompetence and say we need to employ mentors or bolster our assistant ranks.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I actually think we lack a bit of fire and belief. Watching patches of the Geelong game, the body language was ok, but a bit meek, reserved. I really respect Brendan as a cool, calm operator. But I'd like someone to play bad cop a bit to the good cop. Someone with a bit of fire. Ratten is not it.

jeemak
30-08-2012, 11:39 PM
I actually think we lack a bit of fire and belief. Watching patches of the Geelong game, the body language was ok, but a bit meek, reserved. I really respect Brendan as a cool, calm operator. But I'd like someone to play bad cop a bit to the good cop. Someone with a bit of fire. Ratten is not it.

But doesn't steely resolve, a hard edge, confidence and belief come from putting the required work in to your body and game over a long period of time? Surely with time the players will develop confidence in their ability and physical stature and all of these things will take care of themselves.

I don't see how employing an assistant to play the role of bad cop to manufacture this within the playing group would help, Ratten or otherwise.

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 11:40 PM

I would've said that's him in a nutshell :confused: Granted, I don't know the guy much.

AndrewP6
30-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Well it might be a good idea for us to determine what we need prior to throwing mentoring or assistant positions around the place.

Before we do that though, we all need to agree on the motivation behind the coaching decisions we saw throughout 2012, whether they be related to selection, positioning, tactics or whatever and we all need to agree on what's gone wrong (which should be easy enough considering how well we've all been getting along with eachother recently).

As soon as we agree on that, the rest will fall in to place. Trouble is though, none of us know the real motivation behind the moves made by the coaching staff this year, so it's easiest for us to point to incompetence and say we need to employ mentors or bolster our assistant ranks.

I've determined it already ;) We need some support in the coaches' box. Having Grant and Fantasia up there a number of times tells me they think this is the case.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2012, 11:49 PM
But doesn't steely resolve, a hard edge, confidence and belief come from putting the required work in to your body and game over a long period of time? Surely with time the players will develop confidence in their ability and physical stature and all of these things will take care of themselves.

I don't see how employing an assistant to play the role of bad cop to manufacture this within the playing group would help, Ratten or otherwise.

Exactly. We just seem a bit 'nice' at times. Liam Picken notwithstanding. Don't you think we could use a bit of white line fever?

jeemak
30-08-2012, 11:55 PM
I've determined it already ;) We need some support in the coaches' box. Having Grant and Fantasia up there a number of times tells me they think this is the case.

It might also mean they're gathering information to provide the coach with feedback for the post season planning.

Don't read too much in to it, just yet.

AndrewP6
31-08-2012, 12:00 AM
It might also mean they're gathering information to provide the coach with feedback for the post season planning.

Don't read too much in to it, just yet.

Too late! :)

jeemak
31-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Too late! :)

Hahaha, the horse has bolted, jockey still has one foot in the saddle and his body is being dragged across the turf.

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Would be an option but I think the way the coaching merry go round is going he'll either get the Port job or if Eade gets Port then he may get Eade's vacant spot at Collingwood (wouldn't they love to get a Carlton man!).

GVGjr
02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Would be an option but I think the way the coaching merry go round is going he'll either get the Port job or if Eade gets Port then he may get Eade's vacant spot at Collingwood (wouldn't they love to get a Carlton man!).

I can't see Ratten to Collingwood but if I was Port I would want to have a chat to him.

Hotdog60
02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

German knows how to give a bake and he is already on staff.

ledge
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
German knows how to give a bake and he is already on staff.

Friend of mine who does some spotting of opposition teams for willy says German has mellowed a bit when I mentioned I saw a bake he did a couple of years ago

Ghost Dog
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Ratten to GWS, Choco to Richmond.

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Ratten to GWS, Choco to Richmond.

And who goes to Port?
Malthouse a given a Carlton I suppose.

ledge
02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
And who goes to Port?

I am hearing it's either Ratten or Eade

AndrewP6
02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
And who goes to Port?

Rocket.

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Do Port have the money to match Collingwood and will Rocket want to go to Adelaide and club that's a bit of basket case?

mighty_west
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Do Port have the money to match Collingwood and will Rocket want to go to Adelaide and club that's a bit of basket case?

Maybe sometimes money isn't everything for a career coach to grab an opportunity, that said would many other teams looking for a head coach in the future be serious in appointing an experienced coach who failed to bring home a Premiership at two other clubs?

ledge
02-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe sometimes money isn't everything for a career coach to grab an opportunity, that said would many other teams looking for a head coach in the future be serious in appointing an experienced coach who failed to bring home a Premiership at two other clubs?

I personally would rather coach a bottom side you can only go up and look good unlike buckley if no flag it's a fail

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM
I personally would rather coach a bottom side you can only go up and look good unlike buckley if no flag it's a fail

Yes on less money than he is on now, in town like Adelaide and destined to fail at a club like Port.
Very attractive offer.

Ghost Dog
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I'll be glad to see Rocket in a senior coaching role again. Actually, I'm happy to see him anywhere but the pies.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
No I wouldn't as I would not think he would be any good under BMAC or no better then BMAC now

LostDoggy
03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
A ready-made replacement for Fantasia

ledge
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes on less money than he is on now, in town like Adelaide and destined to fail at a club like Port.
Very attractive offer.

After yesterday's game ports upside is a lot better than ours. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he puts in for it and apparently he has

Murphy'sLore
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think Rocket will want to leave Melbourne for the next couple of years, his daughter is finishing school.

LostDoggy
03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
After yesterday's game ports upside is a lot better than ours. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he puts in for it and apparently he has

Fair enough on the playing list but how about the board, finances etc?

AndrewP6
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't think Rocket will want to leave Melbourne for the next couple of years, his daughter is finishing school.

Wasn't she finishing primary school last year? No biggie, leaving during high school.

Murphy'sLore
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Just going into Year 11 next year I think, not ideal timing for upheaval. Not saying it will necessarily stop him taking the job, just another factor to take into consideration.

bornadog
04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Gold Coast Suns to make approach to sacked coaches Brett Ratten and Matthew Primus

story here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/gold-coast-suns-to-make-approach-to-sacked-coaches-brett-ratten-and-matthew-primus/story-fn6pe9hv-1226464189771)

AndrewP6
04-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Just going into Year 11 next year I think, not ideal timing for upheaval. Not saying it will necessarily stop him taking the job, just another factor to take into consideration.

Oh, she's that old. Dunno what I was thinking! :o

BulldogBelle
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Ratten....no, no and then more no. By all reports a micro-manager who doesn't take advice to easily. When a club doesn't play near its potential on a regular basis, then the coach has lost his ability to motivate them. Easy to do when you don't engage all your stakeholders, or share the burden. I really don't understand why he has this reputation as a good coach? I thought the credit for Carltons rise over the past few years would go to their recruiting staff. They delivered Murphy, Gibbs, Cruiser and Judd.

Remi Moses
11-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Maybe Alan Richardson again?

bornadog
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Maybe Alan Richardson again?

As soon as he got a better offer he walked. No thanks.

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 08:07 PM
As I suspected rocket has rejected the Port power job. Who will it be now ? Ratten, Daniher, Ayres?

azabob
19-09-2012, 08:20 PM
As I suspected rocket has rejected the Port power job. Who will it be now ? Ratten, Daniher, Ayres?

Where did you hear that? I am actually surprised.

ledge
19-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Where did you hear that ? I was listening to SEN earlier they said he interviewed for it yesterday

ledge
19-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Apparently it was either Ratten or Eade

AndrewP6
19-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I've heard Eade hadn't even spoken to Port, let alone interviewed.

GVGjr
19-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I've heard Eade hadn't even spoken to Port, let alone interviewed.

He talked to them all right. He didn't present to them though.