PDA

View Full Version : Lin's letter

bornadog
31-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/146212/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_20RiWB12MW2813.jpg

LIN JONG is making a habit of creating firsts, and his latest one is unlikely to be matched.

The Western Bulldogs youngster - the first AFL player of East Timorese and Taiwanese descent - is surely the first debutant to receive a congratulatory letter from a Prime Minister.

The special story of Jong has taken another stunning twist with the revelation his efforts have been officially recognised by East Timorese Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao.

East Timor is the homeland of Jong's father.

As the 19-year-old walked into the visitors' changerooms at the MCG before his round 20 debut against Richmond, he was shocked to be handed a letter bearing the insignia of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste.

Addressed simply to "Mr Lin Jong, C/o Western Bulldogs Football Club, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia", the letter had been sent two days earlier via email and had been personally signed by Mr Gusmao.

"It was really humbling," Jong told Fox Footy's EMT on Wednesday night.

Mr Gusmao, on behalf of the East Timor government and its people, congratulated Jong on his selection, wished him all the best for his debut and expressed pride in his efforts.

"Your achievement is an impressive one that I am sure is the result of many years of focus, determination and commitment," he wrote.

"The Timorese are a resilient and courageous people and I am confident that you will take this spirit with you on to the football field …

"I hope you play well for yourself, your club and the Timorese people."

Bulldogs president David Smorgon told EMT: "It's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful young man. He might be in line for the ambassadorship one day."

Jong might be well placed for such a role, given the Bulldogs' No. 1 female ticketholder is Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

A group of about 50 of Jong's family and friends watched his first game at the MCG.

His parents missed the game because they were in Tasmania, but they attended the next week as guests of the Bulldogs at the President's Club function before the clash with the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium.

"You couldn’t meet two prouder parents," Smorgon said.

The Bulldogs president hopes Jong's rise will help the club make inroads into Asian communities in Melbourne's west.

"We've been trying for years with the Vietnamese community and they’re still taking time to adjust to the game, but if Lin's got 50 people to his first game it's a bloody good start," he said.

Although Jong appreciates the interest in his background - his Taiwanese mother and Timorese father met in Taiwan and came to Australia 26 years ago to start a family - his immediate focus is to distinguish himself on the field.

And he is making a good fist of a football journey he describes as "surreal".

He started playing competitive football just four years ago, just scraped onto the list of TAC Cup team Oakleigh Chargers last year, and just a handful of weeks ago was playing in Williamstown's reserves team.

The adaptable, hard-at-it midfielder has played three games, gathering 16, 17 and 24 touches against Richmond, Sydney and Geelong respectively.

"I try to be pretty courageous, but I've still got to improve a lot of things like my kicking and fitness," he said.

bornadog
31-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I think he will be upgraded to the senior list from 2013.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I think that provided he continues on a similar arc of improvement that he has shown in his short time with us, he has a bright future. If this occurs, I could foresee a time in 2-3 years where he could evolve into a Picken type player capable of performing the tough shutdown jobs.

bornadog
31-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I think that provided he continues on a similar arc of improvement that he has shown in his short time with us, he has a bright future. If this occurs, I could foresee a time in 2-3 years where he could evolve into a Picken type player capable of performing the tough shutdown jobs.

What a great goal he scored last week running all the way down the ground and accepting the handpass from DJ. I think he is very athletic and could find himself as a midfielder at some stage.

LostDoggy
31-08-2012, 11:17 AM
He may have received a letter, but he hasn't got a kiss yet. Long way to go…

Maddog37
31-08-2012, 11:41 AM

I hope he becomes better than just a tagger. He has great athletic ability.

DragzLS1
31-08-2012, 12:37 PM

Agreed!

He is a very good size and very athletic! Strong, quick and good height. I think he could be very dangrous in the coming years and could play nearly an inside, outside role. Another Griffen type that can do it all well :) heres hoping

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2012, 12:59 PM

I think Picken is better than just a tagger. Jong's skills are his love of the contest, speed and from viewing him so far, his tenacity. His weaknesses at this point would be his disposal and decision making. I would expect that he has the ability to dramatically improve his decision making, and I could foresee him improving his disposal skills to a point where it would not be a liability. However I don't see him being able to improve it to a level where he would become an offensive weapon like a Griffen.
I think he has great potential to become a real warrior for us in the mold of a Picken.