PDA

View Full Version : Take nothing for granted - 50 Games this week.

bornadog
31-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/146256/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/grantroos246.jpg

BsXe2MxQVj8

The candle burns bright and fast in the AFL ranks and if the recent retirements of Dogs veterans Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave have taught Jarrad Grant anything, it's that you must maximize your time in the big leagues when it's presented.

Set to play his 50th game for the Western Bulldogs this Sunday against the Brisbane Lions, Grant now more than ever realizes the precious opportunity he has and his deep desire to replicate the career longevity of his retiring teammates.

“At the end of the day it does go quite quick, I know that is a cliché from some of the older players as their career passes, but it does go quite quick,” Grant said.

“You don’t want to take any game for granted and you want to get the most out of any game that you play.”

As he goes through his pre-game routine on Sunday at the Gabba he will prepare like any other week, but in the back of his mind the significance of the milestone won't be lost on him.

“It is an honour to play 50 games for the Western Bulldogs and I am thankful to all the fans for cheering me on for the 50 so far,” he said.

“It is obviously a milestone but at the end of the day it is just another game.”

Season 2012 has been tumultuous at times for the 23 year old utility, floating between the senior ranks and spending time in the gym to add bulk to his wiry frame.

Chris Grant signed Hall of Fame Guernsey’s now available. Get Dad a piece of Western Bulldogs history! Order by 29/08 to guarantee delivery for Father’s Day

While frustrating, Grant is first to admit that he has benefitted from the new regime and feels more than ever that he is better equipped physically and mentally to deal with the rigours of AFL footy.

Drafted with the Bulldogs first round selection in 2007 as a forward, Grant found himself in unfamiliar territory when Senior Coach Brendan McCartney challenged him to reinvent himself as a versatile utility.

Prompted to become more accountable and defensive in his play, the Frankston recruit has willingly accepted the challenge to add new dimensions to his game.

“I have played a fair few different roles this year whether it be tall back, small back, little bit of wing and obviously forward where I have played before,” Grant said.

“Macca has put it on me to obviously learn a few different positions to add some strings to my bow, which some I have done successfully and some I need to improve in - that is something I have been adapting to in the last couple of weeks.”

Spending a month in the gym mid-season is not normal protocol for an AFL player but ultimately the move has proven valuable for Grant who in previous seasons has found it a constant battle to add kilos and build his strength.

“It is a tough process in the middle of the year where you would prefer to obviously be playing,” he said.

“Personally I felt benefit out of what I did during the year and it was also a program that works for me.

"Coming into this offseason it is something that we know works - this program is one that we have figured out my body adapts to.”

His return to footy since his mid-season gym block has seen a lift in form and an increase in confidence, culminating in a three goal haul last weekend against Geelong after being substituted on late in the third term.

“I’m just happy to have an impact in the team - obviously as a sub you have limited opportunities, so to have an impact in the game, you come out happy with that,” he said.

“It will be a good stepping stone towards next week and I took a lot of confidence out of the minutes I played.”

Looking to replicate his performance and finish the season on a high, Grant is confident his young and emerging team is capable of the upset.

“To look around and see all the fresh faces and young and exciting guys running around, I am quite excited myself to go up there this week,” he said.

“Unfortunately it is the last game but hopefully we can get a good result for us and go out on a good note.”

On the eve of his 50th career game Grant may have played alongside both Gilbee and Hargrave for the final time, but the lessons he learned from their careers will stay with him for many years yet.

Cyberdoggie
31-08-2012, 02:26 PM
He's certainly a confidence player, let's hope it continues with him.

At least we can add 1 extra player into the 50-100 games category in the match up stats.
:p

Mofra
31-08-2012, 03:20 PM
So - can we all at least agree he's a forward? :)

bornadog
31-08-2012, 04:41 PM
So - can we all at least agree he's a forward? :)

I think he should stay forward. He will never be a KPP, but more a small forward type with some height - great asset.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Barring maybe Cooney, about the only forward player who looked dangerous for us last week. Sub on and score three goals. That's a good effort. All the best lad.

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I think he should stay forward. He will never be a KPP, but more a small forward type with some height - great asset.

Wasn't the article saying that Macca is trying to round his game and develop him to be able to be used as a utility when required?

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
If they wish to use him in a utility role, better bulk him up some more. He has a good footy brain but disappears to easy. His position in the team is not fixed he is a hard player to position somewhere. I like to see him on the wing pushing forward, he has done it in the past and looked ok.