PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs and big man Will Minson grapple with brave new world of free agency

bornadog
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Mark Stevens (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/bulldogs-and-big-man-will-minson-grapple-with-brave-new-world-of-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1226464257918)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/258945-will-minson.jpg

THE management of Bulldog Will Minson has spoken of the delicate state of negotiations as free agency looms.
"Will's preference is to stay at the Bulldogs. He's very happy there,'' Dan Richardson of Elite Sports Properties said.

"I guess to some extent, it's a matter of that commitment being both ways.

"Hopefully that will be the case and we'll work that out over the coming weeks.''

Minson, who led the league for hitouts this season, has the option of walking away from Whitten Oval as an unrestricted free agent.

He remains unsigned beyond this year, with the length of any deal more than the financial component the key to talks.

Minson may get three years elsewhere, but there has been no offer of that length from the Dogs for the 27-year-old.

Western Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney declined to discuss the length of the offer on the table for Minson.

But McCartney said discussions were on-going and positive.

"The season's over now and that is something that will continue ... it (free agency) is something that is new for everyone,'' McCartney said.

"The one thing we know about Will is he's Bulldogs through and through and we'll keep discussions going.

"He (Minson) is still important to us.''

The Pie Man
04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
While it won't be a shock that clubs will look at Minson (in form, free agent) this really is a nothing article from Stevo.

Would've been better to perhaps speculate on what the Dogs could expect in the way of compensation should he end up walking.

bornadog
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
I would give Will 3 years.

Bulldog Revolution
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM

So would I

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Absolutely And if this is the only sticking point as the article suggests then it should be done and done now.

EasternWest
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM

In a heartbeat.

I think it's not unreasonable to expect that he'll be able to perform at this years level for the next two at least, and with a lesser load in the third. That should see him close to the end of his career, and it'll be a win win for both parties.

I'm still a bit disappointed over our lack of support during mothergate, but I hope Will has moved past it and wants to be a Bulldog for life.

For all the criticisms that can be leveled at Will, lack of heart and effort has never been one.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
[URL="http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/bulldogs-and-big-man-will-minson-grapple-with-brave-new-world-of-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1226464257918"] McCartney said.
"He (Minson) is still important to us.''

Shame this is said and not shown.

BulldogBelle
04-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Give him 3 years, heavily front loaded contract. (we should have great salary cap depth for now) Pay him out in the 3rd year if he requests a trade for whatever reason, or slows down dramatically for whatever reason.

Since those two things that are completely unlikely to happen anyway, and if we are unable to seal this 3 year deal after giving Gia/Crossy 2 and Addison 2, then major personnel changes are needed immediately.

jeemak
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
We definitely need to keep Will, and as far as I'm concerned three years isn't too much for a Ruckman who's entering his career prime.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
WTF are we waiting for? A rival club to poach him?

In all seriousness, it is ridiculous that we are so relaxed about this. Minson is coming off his best season yet, we've lost two very good footballers in recent years due to sloppy contract negociations, and with free agency looming there's no doubt opposition clubs will be in his ear -- particularly Hawthorn/Collingwood, who would be desperate to a) release Roughead or b) replace Jolly.

Do we think because he's "bulldog through and through" he's just going to sign the first contract we put in front of him without paying attention to rival (and beefier) offers?

Unless there's more to it and Minson's asking for a contract he's not worth, sign him up for three years before it's too bloody late ... again.

Cyberdoggie
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
We definitely need to keep Will, and as far as I'm concerned three years isn't too much for a Ruckman who's entering his career prime.

Exactly, and he has shown this year that he can be the number one ruck and has stamped out a lot of his errors in his game (in particular the free kicks).

Remember this time last year we were debating on whether to keep Hudson for another year, because of the doubts over Will. He's definately proven us wrong and 3 years certainly isn't too much to ask for.

Bulldog Joe
04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Exactly, and he has shown this year that he can be the number one ruck and has stamped out a lot of his errors in his game (in particular the free kicks).

Remember this time last year we were debating on whether to keep Hudson for another year, because of the doubts over Will. He's definately proven us wrong and 3 years certainly isn't too much to ask for.

Some may have been debating, but I was in favour of trading Hudson out at the end of 2010 when it looked like we were going to ship Will to the Gold Coast.

Thankfully Guy Mckenna was more interested in looking after Collingwood than getting the best ruckman

Maddog37
04-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Personally I want more around the ground from a ruckman than Will currently offers. Like him alot but if we got decent compensation I would not be overly broken hearted.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Personally I want more around the ground from a ruckman than Will currently offers. Like him alot but if we got decent compensation I would not be overly broken hearted.

I agree to a point but it does rob us of another experienced player which we do not have a lot of in terms of quality at the moment. Minson has had a good season but struggles to have any marking impact when going forward. We are back to potential ruckmen in Campbell or Cordy who you wouldn't see at this stage matching it with some of the better more experienced ruckmen going around.

LongWait
04-09-2012, 06:03 PM
If we'd collapsed and given in to Will's manager immediately there would have been uproar on this board. Let's leave McCartney to do his job and assess the outcome when he's completed and not before.

Ghost Dog
04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree to a point but it does rob us of another experienced player which we do not have a lot of in terms of quality at the moment. Minson has had a good season but struggles to have any marking impact when going forward. We are back to potential ruckmen in Campbell or Cordy who you wouldn't see at this stage matching it with some of the better more experienced ruckmen going around.

Is there any hope for Skinner as a ruckman?
If a leap is his best attribute, why not use it?
There are some good points in this thread. I have been pretty pro - Will this season, but the knock on his marking ability and mobility is fair enough I guess. If a club is willing to pay overs for him, good in some ways, but the hit to our morale would be pretty bad. He is reportedly wanting to stay.

Remi Moses
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Me neither. Prefer him to stay, but if he goes he goes.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
If we'd collapsed and given in to Will's manager immediately there would have been uproar on this board. Let's leave McCartney to do his job and assess the outcome when he's completed and not before.

Don't worry we'll continue to collapse on field if Campbell or Cordy are our no. 1 rick next year.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM

0 hope.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
There are some good points in this thread. I have been pretty pro - Will this season, but the knock on his marking ability and mobility is fair enough I guess. If a club is willing to pay overs for him, good in some ways, but the hit to our morale would be pretty bad. He is reportedly wanting to stay.

Skinner is a long way off being a League player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him delisted. He can leap but it doesn't make a ruckman.

G-Mo77
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Give him 3 years, heavily front loaded contract. (we should have great salary cap depth for now) Pay him out in the 3rd year if he requests a trade for whatever reason, or slows down dramatically for whatever reason.

In theory that would be a perfect scenario. The player has to sign off on it though and not all players agree to payments in that format. Regardless of all that financially, he shouldn't hurt our cap to much anyway considering he qualifies for the veterans list.

soupman
04-09-2012, 08:34 PM

And who are these readily available quality Dean Cox like players that are of Wills standard or higher going to come from? Certainly not our list.

Maddog37
04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Ruffy and Campbell could be as adequate as Will. Obviously not straight away but in a year or two. I was simply saying that if he was more of a Cox type I would move heaven and earth to keep him but he isn't so I wouldn't.

Desipura
04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I think Ruffy and Campbell could be as adequate as Will. Obviously not straight away but in a year or two. I was simply saying that if he was more of a Cox type I would move heaven and earth to keep him but he isn't so I wouldn't.

Well said, it's not as if he has the ability to win games for us. We are not talking about Poly Farmer here, if we come up on top, I would consider it. The problem is he is out of contract so the AFL will determine what compensation we get. Does supply and demand come into their calculations when considering our compensation? If so, there would be a number of clubs who could be interested. I would not be disappointed if we kept him.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
0 hope.

Those two words sum up your entire outlook on life so wonderfully. :P

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Those two words sum up your entire outlook on life so wonderfully. :P
Any need to get personal? You seem to be more miserable than me to worried about that post.
You think Skinner can make it as an afl ruckman?

Mofra
04-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Worth noting that Woof had his as our 3rd best this year on the voting thread.
Should give us some indication of his worth to us as a team.

I'd much rather we keep him.

LostDoggy
05-09-2012, 02:50 AM
You think Skinner can make it as an afl ruckman?

Not as a ruckman but maybe a 2IC?

Not sure where Ghost Dog was going with Skinner in the ruck comment. But the way the game is evolving, 3 man interchange, sub etc. You might have to look at single ruckmen with athletic multi purpose back ups.

Skinner looks like someone who could fill that back up role.........If only he could play though.:confused:

Mantis
05-09-2012, 08:23 AM
How is it that we can give an injury prone player in Tom Williams a new 3 year deal at the end of 2011, but we cannot (atleast at present) give Will who is coming off a career best season the same?

I know staff have changed, but it just doesn't seem right.

LostDoggy
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
If we don't sign Will for three years (provided that is the only sticking point) we will officially be the worst list/contract negotiators in the AFL! Even if he only maintains this level for two years, his experience will be invaluable in the third year. GET THE DEAL DONE

Ghost Dog
05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
How is it that we can give an injury prone player in Tom Williams a new 3 year deal at the end of 2011, but we cannot (atleast at present) give Will who is coming off a career best season the same?

Doubt it's the number of years, but the price tag. I also found the Williams deal a bit hard to fathom.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Not as a ruckman but maybe a 2IC?

Not sure where Ghost Dog was going with Skinner in the ruck comment. But the way the game is evolving, 3 man interchange, sub etc. You might have to look at single ruckmen with athletic multi purpose back ups.

Skinner looks like someone who could fill that back up role.........If only he could play though.:confused:

They keep playing him though don't they? Cut off that F#$@#$ rat tail.

azabob
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM

GD, you have confused me. I swear not 3 weeks ago you were arguing with every man and his dog as to why Skinner should not only play but why he should be retained.

Do you think Skinner should be given another contract?

Bulldog4life
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Well said, it's not as if he has the ability to win games for us. We are not talking about Poly Farmer here, if we come up on top, I would consider it. The problem is he is out of contract so the AFL will determine what compensation we get. Does supply and demand come into their calculations when considering our compensation? If so, there would be a number of clubs who could be interested. I would not be disappointed if we kept him.

And that is the big problem if he leaves. No one has a clue what draft pick we would get.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
GD, you have confused me. I swear not 3 weeks ago you were arguing with every man and his dog as to why Skinner should not only play but why he should be retained.

Do you think Skinner should be given another contract?

I said they keep playing him ( as in, he must be doing something right).
Is he happy? Does he have the hunger? Will he continue to improve? Does he respond to the coaching directives?
If yes to above, play on says I, barring the rat tail that's just begging to be trodden under a defender's boot.

LongWait
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM

How much per season are we talking about? What has Will asked for and what have we offered?

immortalmike
05-09-2012, 11:12 PM

His pony tail is apparently there for cultural reasons, probably not a good idea to tell him that to his face.

bornadog
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
His pony tail is apparently there for cultural reasons, probably not a good idea to tell him that to his face.

Harbrow use to have one to.

westdog54
06-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Harbrow use to have one to.

The only people I've seen wear a rats tail for cultural reasons are Jedi Apprentices. I've never known it to be anything to do with indigenous culture.

Maddog37
06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
If he cuts it off he may lose all of his mediclorians!!

soupman
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
The only people I've seen wear a rats tail for cultural reasons are Jedi Apprentices. I've never known it to be anything to do with indigenous culture.

Pretty sure I've also heard that it isnt a fashion choice.

westdog54
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
If he cuts it off he may lose all of his mediclorians!!

He does have a fair leap on him. pity he doesn't have Jedi stamina, reflexes or dexterity.

LostDoggy
06-09-2012, 02:44 PM

There are over 500 indigenous dilects and similarly, lots of different cultural traditions specific to different groups from different areas.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll have to research that one.

w3design
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Would't say I am huge fan of the rat's tail. But it is a hell of a lot more interesting than the stupid do's that Boyd, Cross, Dickson etc, etc, etc ad nausium have sported lately. Look like a complete set of snooker balls, just all the same colour. If you can't see their number it is very hard to tell one from the other.
Hey guys, how about showing a little individualism rather than being sheep [ shorn ones at that]. Has the AFL's cloning program gone completely to everyone's head?
More power to Dal, Zephi, and anyone else willing to buck the fashion trends I say.

w3design
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
As for Will's contract: For God's sake, stop farting around , and JUST DO IT !!!

Bulldog Joe
06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
As for Will's contract: For God's sake, stop farting around , and JUST DO IT !!!

Absolutely.

Where is the problem with a 3 year contract. Will is pretty resilient and gives his all.

We would also open up an option to trade him in a year or so if Campbell/Cordy came on more quickly.

We do need him until one of them is ready to take over his role.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2012, 06:51 PM

G'day PaulV - ( by the way, quite enjoy your posts )
It's not an open cheque book though is it? What would be the limit ( the actual amount ) , after which we would say ' sorry Will, but that's the best we can offer you'?
Utimately, Will likes being with us, so fingers crossed we can do this without stuffing it up.

Remi Moses
06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
And that is the big problem if he leaves. No one has a clue what draft pick we would get.

Going by Ward calculations it will be pick 250.

westdog54
07-09-2012, 12:10 AM
G'day PaulV - ( by the way, quite enjoy your posts )
It's not an open cheque book though is it? What would be the limit ( the actual amount ) , after which we would say ' sorry Will, but that's the best we can offer you'?
Utimately, Will likes being with us, so fingers crossed we can do this without stuffing it up.

I'm not sure that money is the issue here but the length of contract.

LongWait
07-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure that money is the issue here but the length of contract.

Time and money are always linked in a contract negotiation.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
In July, GWS were said to be happy to offer him 2 years.

But maybe even then, nobody would have picked he would lead the league in hit outs.
Let's throw in an unlimited supply of Soy Milk.:D
And a guidebook to sledging....

JohnGentStand
12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I seem to remember the long apprenticeship Darcy had under Wynd.......Minson under Hudson....
We would be crazy not to give 3 years if he wants it. Roughhead, Cordy and Campbell will probably all still be his understudies at the end of the contract and hopefully then one or more will be physically and mentally ready to cope with the #1 mantle. ATM they are all miles off it.

immortalmike
16-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Will signing for two years apparently.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/we...kman-will-minson/story-fnelctok-1226474866121

GVGjr
16-09-2012, 07:50 AM

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/we...kman-will-minson/story-fnelctok-1226474866121

Good news. It's also good to hear that speculation of the club offering a one year deal was off the mark.

Ghost Dog
16-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Wants to stay to finish his degree in Melbourne. ! Saved by his studies.

ledge
16-09-2012, 09:44 AM

It says at least another 2 years could be 3 or 4 year contract.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Fantastic news, and is great to hear that the 1 yr contract talk either wasn't true, or that the negotiating team moved from that position to a more reasonable one.
I would've hated seeing Will in any guernsey other than a Red, White and Blue one.

gohardorgohome
16-09-2012, 10:03 AM
This is great news. Ruckmen take longer to develop. Will was one of the few highlights of the year.

I have been to a couple of functions in the past 12 months where Will has been a guest speaker. He came across as holding great affection for our club. I'm very happy he has stayed.

The Underdog
16-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Wants to stay to finish his degree in Melbourne. ! Saved by his studies.

Lucky there's no other teams based in Melbourne.

Throughandthrough
16-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Hooray! We are gonna win the flag! *

* This is not meant to imply we will win the flag

Maddog37
16-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Does this mean we can now trade him rather than lose him for a compo pick?

The Underdog
16-09-2012, 10:33 AM

That would be a mistake on many levels unless that is his request.

GVGjr
16-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Not likely. I'm sure Will won't be signing a contract with us with the view to be traded away. Why would he?

Maddog37
16-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Not suggesting we should, just curious as to how it works?

GVGjr
16-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Hooray! We are gonna win the flag! *

* This is not meant to imply we will win the flag

Do you think we should have let him go?

comrade
16-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Probably proves it's not worth going the early crow in regards to list management whispers. Things are never as good or as bad as it seems.

GVGjr
16-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Probably proves it's not worth going the early crow in regards to list management whispers. Things are never as good or as bad as it seems.

Spot on. The player managers are masters of letting things leak to the public to suit whatever they are trying to achieve.

Throughandthrough
16-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Do you think we should have let him go?

Hell no! This is great news.

LongWait
16-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Hell no! This is great news.

I'm pretty sure there will be something horribly wrong with the Minson deal and that Fantasia will be at fault.

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Yes had a win here, now all must be great at the club.

LongWait
16-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes had a win here, now all must be great at the club.

Now you are being too optimistic Chops - but I'm glad that you are starting to see things in a more balanced way.

ratsmac
16-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Going by Ward calculations it will be pick 250.

Haha. I laugh but cry when I think that Melbourne get 2 compensation picks for scully. Ward wins their b&f just shows his worth.

AndrewP6
16-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Great to hear Will is staying! Makes up for the Pies winning last night.

Bulldog4life
16-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Ditto comrade.

bornadog
16-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Great News, love big Will.

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Good. Will be happier when it's official.

Sedat
17-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be something horribly wrong with the Minson deal and that Fantasia will be at fault.
Awesome work James, identifying that one of the best performed ruckman in the competition who in the prime of his career is worth offering a multi-year contract to while our babe-in-the-woods young rucks still can't run out of sight in a dark night. I'll quietly fist-pump once the deal is inked.

LongWait
17-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Awesome work James, identifying that one of the best performed ruckman in the competition who in the prime of his career is worth offering a multi-year contract to while our babe-in-the-woods young rucks still can't run out of sight in a dark night. I'll quietly fist-pump once the deal is inked.

I know you do a lot of that....

Go_Dogs
17-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Very glad to see this looks like it's all stitched up, Will is an important player and it would have been a disaster if he didn't sign.

Murphy'sLore
17-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Woo-hoo. Would have been shattered if we'd lost big Will. Very happy to hear this news.

Greystache
17-09-2012, 04:19 PM

So re-signing one of the most important players on our list by your assessment to a multi-year contract is a good thing or a bad thing? I can't tell from this post.

immortalmike
17-09-2012, 06:05 PM

I thought J-Mac was in charge of player contracts now...?

SlimPickens
17-09-2012, 07:20 PM

That's my understanding.

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Great signing, would have been dreadful to lose him in his prime when we've been through a lengthy maturation process with the big guy

LongWait
17-09-2012, 11:10 PM

He is.

Sedat
18-09-2012, 12:36 AM
So re-signing one of the most important players on our list by your assessment to a multi-year contract is a good thing or a bad thing? I can't tell from this post.
It's very good news. His form and age profile would suggest that he should have been one of the first players signed up. But anyway it appears as though he has eventually committed to the club so the end result is positive.

JohnGentStand
26-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Has Will actually put pen to paper yet?

Doc26
05-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Has Will actually put pen to paper yet?

Bump.

What's going on down there ? How hard can it be to finalise a deal for our only current viable ruckman now in his prime ? Get it done Dogs or have we simply become that irrelevant in media circles that his signing doesn't warrant copy ? Hopefully an announcement Saturday night at the B&F.

LongWait
05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Fair go - Will got back from South America yesterday sometime. His Manager has said that Will is going to sign and there has not been any speculation at all in the media about his free agency status.

Doc26
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Fair go - Will got back from South America yesterday sometime. His Manager has said that Will is going to sign and there has not been any speculation at all in the media about his free agency status.

I disagree, deals such as this should've been closed off before we entered the October trade window. I think it looks poorly on the Club and just helps to perpetuate the 'battler' badge we need to work hard to throw off if we are to look an attractive suitor for player prospects, supporters and sponsors. The little things do add up.

LongWait
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I disagree, deals such as this should've been closed off before we entered the October trade window. I think it looks poorly on the Club and just helps to perpetuate the 'battler' badge we need to work hard to throw off if we are to look an attractive suitor for player prospects, supporters and sponsors. The little things do add up.

An agreement was reached and announced weeks ago - Will just happened to be in South America at the time. He couldn't sign until he returned and nobody in the media is speculating that there is a problem.

Fair dinkum, the negativity on this site is endless and totally depressing.

Doc26
05-10-2012, 09:14 PM
An agreement was reached and announced weeks ago - Will just happened to be in South America at the time. He couldn't sign until he returned and nobody in the media is speculating that there is a problem.

Fair dinkum, the negativity on this site is endless and totally depressing.

One thing I'm not LW is generally negative towards the Club or Brendan but on this occasion I'm not supportive. Yours is a broad brush statement to all posters who may not agree with your point of view. What is depressing is extremists at either end of the spectrum who criticize a point of view because its not to their thinking or liking.

LongWait
05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
One thing I'm not LW is generally negative towards the Club or Brendan but on this occasion I'm not supportive. Yours is a broad brush statement to all posters who may not agree with your point of view. What is depressing is extremists at either end of the spectrum who criticize a point of view because its not to their thinking or liking.

Well it seems to me that the negativity on this site is endless and totally depressing.

How we can turn the club and Minson's Manager both saying that Will will sign a new contract into a negative is typical of what I mean with the above statement.

Bulldog4life
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Well it seems to me that the negativity on this site is endless and totally depressing.

How we can turn the club and Minson's Manager both saying that Will will sign a new contract into a negative is typical of what I mean with the above statement.

I have to agree with you LongWait. I just log off. Done it a few times lately.:)

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Friend of mine arrived back in Aus Thursday morning and said he saw Minson at LAX about to board as well.

jeemak
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Friend of mine arrived back in Aus Thursday morning and said he saw Minson at LAX about to board as well.

Did he say whether Minson had his dongle out trying to hook up with the club to re-sign with us, so as to avoid any last minute bids for his services, or was he just chilling out? :o

Seriously, the club and Minson have handled the situation as well as can be expected considering the geographical inconvenience, and the fact that Minson has been on holidays.

It should probably be enoug that Minson has had his manager agree to negotiate positively on his behalf, and that he will take care of it when he gets back. Both parties have exercised trust, and that's all we can ask for.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Agreed. LW brother, you have perhaps unwittingly, and certainly unfairly, painted Doc as on the banwagon of negativity. He is not of little faith. He is one of big faith.
However he is making a point that we are in an environment of ultra competitiveness, image making, professionalism and servicing of one's clients. He is calling for maintaining high standards. The club must make every post a winner and re-signing Will Minson is a big deal and could have been promoted as such better rather than leaving an unsigned contract during a period of speculation.
I agree LW that faint hearted pessimism is ugly and the last thing the mighty Bulldogs need.

bornadog
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Did he say whether Minson had his dongle out trying to hook up with the club to re-sign with us, so as to avoid any last minute bids for his services, or was he just chilling out? :o

Seriously, the club and Minson have handled the situation as well as can be expected considering the geographical inconvenience, and the fact that Minson has been on holidays.

It should probably be enoug that Minson has had his manager agree to negotiate positively on his behalf, and that he will take care of it when he gets back. Both parties have exercised trust, and that's all we can ask for.

At the risk of this post being labelled negative, a I am going to say it anyway, personally I think the club should have stitched up Minson months ago, considering he has the right to walk out of the club and sign with anyone. We should not have allowed such a situation to happen.

JohnGentStand
08-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I am looking forward to the feel good story of Will putting ink to paper on a deal that rewards his loyalty and his fierce on field efforts. I am a big fan

KT31
09-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I am looking forward to the feel good story of Will putting ink to paper on a deal that rewards his loyalty and his fierce on field efforts. I am a big fan

Would be nice after the day we have all had, not holding my breath though.

jeemak
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
At the risk of this post being labelled negative, a I am going to say it anyway, personally I think the club should have stitched up Minson months ago, considering he has the right to walk out of the club and sign with anyone. We should not have allowed such a situation to happen.

I tend to agree, actually. Signing him up three months ago would have been a much better outcome.

Though considering he agreed to stay on a month ago, though has been overseas it is what it is, and I expect things to be taken care of in due course.

We'll not know for sure what's caused the delay, whether it was Minson himself or the club.

azabob
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
We'll not know for sure what's caused the delay, whether it was Minson himself or the club.

I think more likely the club are delaying things.

I really think we are letting the whole free agency thing playout before we make a call.

bornadog
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I think more likely the club are delaying things.

I really think we are letting the whole free agency thing playout before we make a call.

So if a good deal comes along Minson will be gone as well. Wouldn't surprise me now.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
So if a good deal comes along Minson will be gone as well. Wouldn't surprise me now.

Calm down BAD. Minson returned from South America on Friday. With the Lake situation and the trading/drafting events of yesterday, I suspect that Will and the club haven't met yet but will do so soon.

bornadog
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Calm down BAD. Minson returned from South America on Friday. With the Lake situation and the trading/drafting events of yesterday, I suspect that Will and the club haven't met yet but will do so soon.

I am calm:D

LongWait
09-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I am calm:D

We will have plenty of headroom in the cap for Will as well. Majorly front-loading Will's contract might be under consideration as well.

azabob
09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Great news, He has signed.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/149425/default.aspx

Bulldog4life
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Wrong!!!!!!!!!

bornadog
09-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Wrong!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why you would post something like that, when I was responding to another post?

Bulldog4life
09-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Not sure why you would post something like that, when I was responding to another post?

Trying to cheer you up BAD. Seem so grumpy of late.:)

bornadog
09-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Trying to cheer you up BAD. Seem so grumpy of late.:)

No just pissed off that a champion player is treated like this.

Anyway, we move on.

Desipura
09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Minson signed for 2 years, one less thing to whinge about for some.

Maddog37
09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Wonder if they had to free up some cash to meet Will's contract by moving on Brian.

Cheer up BAD, one door closes and another opens. Footy is a different beast now.......for better or worse I am not sure.

bornadog
09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Wonder if they had to free up some cash to meet Will's contract by moving on Brian.

Cheer up BAD, one door closes and another opens. Footy is a different beast now.......for better or worse I am not sure.

Hey, I vented my spleen yesterday and as I said I have now moved on. I will be pissed off next year if Lake has a great year:D

Daughter of the West
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Great news, He has signed.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/149425/default.aspx

YAY! Something to smile about, well done Will :)

Sedat
09-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Excellent news. Minson will be an invaluable physical presence in our team for the next couple of years at least while our young list develops physically.

bulldogsman
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Finally some good news. A very important member of our team, thanks for staying loyal big Will.

Mantis
09-10-2012, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure why.

One would hope that Will would be on a stock standard contract seeing as though he wasn't in our best 10 players this year... well atleast that was the thoughts of the MC going by the B&F votes.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Minson signed for 2 years, one less thing to whinge about for some.

Oh, I'm sure the more enterprising amongst us could find a way... :)

Desipura
09-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Interesting to read what Will spoke about his enthusiasm for the club under Brendan McCartney.
Also was quoted as saying "I love it here and support the direction Brendan is taking this group wholeheartedly," Minson said."

Just thought I would post a positive due to all the crap that has been thrown at the coach lately.

Topdog
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Good to see him re-sign. Also good to see those comments.

AndrewP6
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Good to hear Willllbur is sticking around. I had a quick peek at woof earlier, and discovered that there were 308 unread posts waiting for me! If Will hadn't signed, that number might have doubled! :)

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Very happy to read that Will has re-signed on dotted line. Needed that after yesterday's news.

Desipura
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Good to hear Willllbur is sticking around. I had a quick peek at woof earlier, and discovered that there were 308 unread posts waiting for me! If Will hadn't signed, that number might have doubled! :)

Yes you are probably right. Good to see him get behind the coach isn't it? ;)

AndrewP6
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Yes you are probably right. Good to see him get behind the coach isn't it? ;)

That bit I'm not fussed about;)

Go_Dogs
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure why.

One would hope that Will would be on a stock standard contract seeing as though he wasn't in our best 10 players this year... well atleast that was the thoughts of the MC going by the B&F votes.

Wouldn't be surprised if Will wanted to wait till season's end to see if he could get a better contract based on his impressive season, and once it was confirmed he wasn't in the top 10 the deal was quickly reached.

BulldogBelle
09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Does anyone else think we were playing a risky game trying to get him to take a 2 year deal instead of 3? Being an unrestricted free agent. He clearly really wanted the 3. I just don't see the disadvantage with another year at this point, particularly as far as front loading goes and our enormous salary cap space.

I feel he's had a rough trot with us at various stages and it could have been a good showing of faith.

azabob
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Does anyone else think we were playing a risky game trying to get him to take a 2 year deal instead of 3? Being an unrestricted free agent. He clearly really wanted the 3. I just don't see the disadvantage with another year at this point, particularly as far as front loading goes and our enormous salary cap space.

I feel he's had a rough trot with us at various stages and it could have been a good showing of faith.

Honestly I think it is poor form. They have taken a calculated risk in that they believe he won't be our number one ruckman in 2 years time.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Honestly I think it is poor form. They have taken a calculated risk in that they believe he won't be our number one ruckman in 2 years time.

Will is 28 at the begining of next season - he'll be 30 when he comes out of contract. Not many players of his age are offered 3 years unless they are dead set guns. I suspect that the club would reassess Will's place on the list annually and offer him an extension before the final year if his form and health warrant it.

azabob
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Will is 28 at the begining of next season - he'll be 30 when he comes out of contract. Not many players of his age are offered 3 years unless they are dead set guns. I suspect that the club would reassess Will's place on the list annually and offer him an extension before the final year if his form and health warrant it.

All fair points LW, I'm no clairvoyant but I think Will has a few good years left.

Doc26
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Interesting to read what Will spoke about his enthusiasm for the club under Brendan McCartney.
Also was quoted as saying "I love it here and support the direction Brendan is taking this group wholeheartedly," Minson said."

Just thought I would post a positive due to all the crap that has been thrown at the coach lately.

Actually I see this as a big positive Desi. If anyone, at face value at least, could feel a tad down on the Club given Pearcegate and Stomparama, and I'm not at all suggesting justifiably so, it's Big Will. He could easily have said nothing of Brendan's direction and left it simply at loving the Club and his mates. I see this as a big tick for Will and his maturity and leadership qualities and yet another endorsement from a senior member of our list for what Brendan's endeavouring to deliver.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Actually I see this as a big positive Desi. If anyone, at face value at least, could feel a tad down on the Club given Pearcegate and Stomparama, and I'm not at all suggesting justifiably so, it's Big Will. He could easily have said nothing of Brendan's direction and left it simply at loving the Club and his mates. I see this as a big tick for Will and his maturity and leadership qualities and yet another endorsement from a senior member of our list for what Brendan's endeavouring to deliver.

Nicely put Doc.

Pychologically for the club and supporters, Will's re-signing is important and his endorsement of the coach and coaching direction are welcomed (by me at least.)

Ghost Dog
11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I was dead sure he was goneski. I wasn't the only one on here.
Unfortunately Doc26, not as confident as you. I reckon he stayed just so he could complete his engineering degree.