PDA

View Full Version : Clay Smith

ledge
05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Just signed until the end of 2014

Go_Dogs
05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Great news to get him extended now, thanks ledge.

ledge
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Be in his prime when it finishes bit of a worry

bornadog
05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Clay looks a beauty. I think as the season has gone on his kicking has improved. Hopefully he can improve more over the pre-season and make it a weapon:D

Mofra
05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Excellent news

Maddog37
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Love the way his kid goes about things. Would be fantastic to have him and Ward in the same team. Sigh....

Greystache
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
It says a bit about what the club thinks of him that they give him a contact extension with a year left in his current contract. Really looking forward to seeing the young bull develop over the years, I'm hoping he can become a Lenny Hayes type of player for us.

Desipura
05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Clubs are all about getting competitive beasts on their lists, we have well and truly got one here!

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
The kid is a winner. Some talk about wanting to be AFL players and others do the work to make it happen.

I feel he will leave no proverbial stone unturned.

Eastdog
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Great News.

Sedat
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm hoping he can become a Lenny Hayes type of player for us.It would be nice to return the favour to St Kilda for all the repeated reamings we've copped from Lenny over the years.

Apart from Toby Greene, I can't think of another 18yo who has such a strong appetite for the contest as Smith does - it's a great attribute to have and one that will only get better as he adjusts to the rigours of AFL year-in-year-out. Now to get to work on his kicking - Jobe improved his to the point of adequacy and I hope Clay can do the same.

Greystache
05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
It would be nice to return the favour to St Kilda for all the repeated reamings we've copped from Lenny over the years.

Apart from Toby Greene, I can't think of another 18yo who has such a strong appetite for the contest as Smith does - it's a great attribute to have and one that will only get better as he adjusts to the rigours of AFL year-in-year-out. Now to get to work on his kicking - Jobe improved his to the point of adequacy and I hope Clay can do the same.

Let's hope so, Hayes used to sleep in the change rooms in anticipation of tearing us apart yet again.

Smith certainly makes a nice change from our previous first round draft picks of nice athletes who are skinny, lacking intensity, with no real defined role. Much easier to teach a competitor to become an adequate kick, than to teach an athlete to become an adequate competitor.

ledge
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I heard somewhere Clays training is full on even took out King in one session , Macca would love him and who wouldn't? I remember him being picked and the doubt that was shed over taking him I think Maccas got this one right.

Eastdog
05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I heard somewhere Clays training is full on even took out King in one session , Macca would love him and who wouldn't? I remember him being picked and the doubt that was shed over taking him I think Maccas got this one right.

From what you have said ledge from training he is focused and committed which is great. He is going to be a very good player.

Greystache
05-09-2012, 04:55 PM

I saw him man handling Boyd in a wrestling drill during the preseason and thought the kid had something special. Nothing I've seen since has changed that view.

It's early days, but I haven't seen anyone so far I wished we picked up instead of Clay.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I saw him man handling Boyd in a wrestling drill during the preseason and thought the kid had something special. Nothing I've seen since has changed that view.

It's early days, but I haven't seen anyone so far I wished we picked up instead of Clay.

I was skeptical early because of his disposal, but his overall game improved dramatically in the second half of the season.

His kicking remains a real worry -- if he finds a way to improve it, then he will be a great footballer.

His repeatitive attack on the ball and man is unbelievable. Can only imagine what he'll be like in 3 years time; he'll literally break someone in half.

ledge
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I was skeptical early because of his disposal, but his overall game improved dramatically in the second half of the season.

His kicking remains a real worry -- if he finds a way to improve it, then he will be a great footballer.

His repeatitive attack on the ball and man is unbelievable. Can only imagine what he'll be like in 3 years time; he'll literally break someone in half.

By then they will bring in the Clay rule no one named Clay can go in hard

ReLoad
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Joel Selwood Mk II.

LostDoggy
05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Love the way his kid goes about things. Would be fantastic to have him and Ward in the same team. Sigh....

Now imagine them two, Griffen and a fit Cooney :eek:

Ghost Dog
05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Now imagine them two, Griffen and a fit Cooney :eek:

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/672153.jpg

LongWait
08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Was pleased to hear Clay talk about how much he appreciates the club, his team-mates and the coach and states he would like to be a one team player for his career. It seems we have a few of our young pups with the same attitude - we might just benefit from their loyalty and mateship now that free agency is a part of our game.

Topdog
08-09-2012, 10:59 AM
One thing I like about Clay is that he seems to accept his limitations a bit RE: his disposal.

Ray used to annoy the living heck out of me with his complete disregard of the fact that he is a terrible kick with his left foot esp. when he is 60m out from goal.

GVGjr
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Was pleased to hear Clay talk about how much he appreciates the club, his team-mates and the coach and states he would like to be a one team player for his career. It seems we have a few of our young pups with the same attitude - we might just benefit from their loyalty and mateship now that free agency is a part of our game.

Agreed. I was initially skeptical on what he could become as a footballer but I think he has performed far better than most people expected.
He seems to have the right attitude and hopefully will be come a big part of the future for the Dogs.

Redemption97
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Kid is a ripper. Anyone who hasn't. Do yourself a favor and watch the two video interviews he did after signing on the bulldogs website. Well spoken, focused and hard working, comes through loud and clear. Seems like a really determined young man. If he can fix that kick we'll have a fantastic midfielder on our hands. I'm looking forward to seeing how he backs up in 2013.

EasternWest
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't think his kicking is that bad.

I think in the fullness of time, Clay's selection will be looked back at one we got right.

ledge
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

I think in the fullness of time, Clay's selection will be looked back at one we got right.

Leadership group no doubt with wallis and maybe libber if he learns his lesson

Mofra
08-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Compared to the other first rounders we've picked in the past decade he's already well ahead of most.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I will admit to being quite critical of him during the season. I am still not convinced that in most seasons he would qualify as a mid 1st round pick due to his kicking deficiencies. However in the diluted draft he was a part of ,with GWS having taken many kids who would've been in this draft the year prior and also the number of picks GWS and other compensation picks that meant our 1st pick was further down than usual, I can see why he was chosen.

Looking through the list of draftees from his draft class there really aren't that many that were chosen after him who at this stage have shown they are markedly better than him overall. Perhaps Crozier could've been considered, but again given the type of player the coach wanted, he is the only one who fits the bill.

Providing we address in the next few drafts our need for outside mids with running and disposal skills, then I have little doubt he can be a major contributor for us for many years to come.

I still belive his kicking is always going to remain a significant deficiency, however providing his role is that of an extractor and hard bodied inside midfielder who will give the ball to better users then it should not hinder him being a good player for us.

ledge
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I will admit to being quite critical of him during the season. I am still not convinced that in most seasons he would qualify as a mid 1st round pick due to his kicking deficiencies. However in the diluted draft he was a part of ,with GWS having taken many kids who would've been in this draft the year prior and also the number of picks GWS and other compensation picks that meant our 1st pick was further down than usual, I can see why he was chosen.

Looking through the list of draftees from his draft class there really aren't that many that were chosen after him who at this stage have shown they are markedly better than him overall. Perhaps Crozier could've been considered, but again given the type of player the coach wanted, he is the only one who fits the bill.

Providing we address in the next few drafts our need for outside mids with running and disposal skills, then I have little doubt he can be a major contributor for us for many years to come.

I still belive his kicking is always going to remain a significant deficiency, however providing his role is that of an extractor and hard bodied inside midfielder who will give the ball to better users then it should not hinder him being a good player for us.

Didn't the recruiters want Crozier but Macca over ruled them?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Really? I would have though his kicking bio mechanics are as bad as has been seen at AFL level since James Manson. It not only affects the accuracy of his disposal, but also leads to a high proportion of high floaters that take forever to hit their target and give the opposition alot of time to get to the next contest and pressure the receiver.

Also the time he takes to get ball to foot, because of his action, gives the opposition that extra bit of time to either tackle, bump or smother his kick.

Again, as I said in my post above, providing we surround him in the coming drafts with some quality outside mids to whom he can hand the ball off to, this shouldn't be as much of a problem as it was this year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Didn't the recruiters want Crozier but Macca over ruled them?

I think I may've heard something like this. Not sure the Dalrymple was specifically told to pick Smith, or whether Macca gave him the instruction to pick the best inside, contested ball winning player that was available. If this was the extent of the brief, then Dalrymple hit the mark well as well as he could, as at this stage I can't see anyone else in Smith's draft class that was a better fit for that role.

ledge
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Really? I would have though his kicking bio mechanics are as bad as has been seen at AFL level since James Manson. It not only affects the accuracy of his disposal, but also leads to a high proportion of high floaters that take forever to hit their target and give the opposition alot of time to get to the next contest and pressure the receiver.

Also the time he takes to get ball to foot, because of his action gives the opposition that extra bit of time to either tackle, bump or smother his kick.

Again, as I said in my post above, providing we surround him in the coming drafts with some quality outside mids to whom he can hand the ball off to, this shouldn't be as much of a problem as it was this year.

Clay looks like he is kicking on the wrong foot but I dont give a hoot about the bio mechanics if it works.
Jarryd Grants action is strange too, we at the bulldogs don't discriminate on strange licking actions that's for sure.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Clay looks like he is kicking on the wrong foot but I dont give a hoot about the bio mechanics if it works.
Jarryd Grants action is strange too, we at the bulldogs don't discriminate on strange licking actions that's for sure.

To some degree I don't care, everyone can have their own style, however it has to be effective, that is repeatable with a great deal of consistency in the outcome. Smith's action creates too many opportunities for variances in the way the ball gets to and comes off the boot, which effects the outcome too often.
Don't get me started on Grant's action.... his kicking reminds me of the lairy types of actions as kid's we'd muck around with in the park not that of a professional.

ledge
08-09-2012, 01:29 PM
To some degree I don't care, everyone can have their own style, however it has to be effective, that is repeatable with a great deal of consistency in the outcome. Smith's action creates too many opportunities for variances in the way the ball gets to and comes off the boot, which effects the outcome too often.
Don't get me started on Grant's action.... his kicking reminds me of the lairy types of actions as kid's we'd muck around with in the park not that of a professional.

I grew up with a kid who played at the dogs when,he was little he used to throw the ball on his foot to get power it was a funny action but then one day it was gone and he had a very good fluent action, I have seen a rare few with this throw on the boot action over the years but it's only when they are very young tends to disappear around under 13s

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I grew up with a kid who played at the dogs when,he was little he used to throw the ball on his foot to get power it was a funny action but then one day it was gone and he had a very good fluent action, I have seen a rare few with this throw on the boot action over the years but it's only when they are very young tends to disappear around under 13s

Yep as a kid there were always a couple of kids who did this, and yes it usually disappeared once they were 13 or so.
Clay's action is different again though, he shifts the ball to his side and then seems to double handed drop the ball onto his foot. Don't know if you ever remember seeing James Manson back in the 80's and early 90's. He is the only player I can recall who has this similar action to Clay. And Manson was an absolute horror to watch when kicking.

craigsahibee
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Agree. I still reckon Clay is a right footer trapped in a lefty footer's body.

EasternWest
08-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Also the time he takes to get ball to foot, because of his action, gives the opposition that extra bit of time to either tackle, bump or smother his kick.

Yeah really. It definitely needs work, but it's not as bad as many think IMO. Perhaps my opinion of it is taking into consideration that I think his decision making is pretty good, and as a result he doesn't try to do things by foot that he probably can't.

I don't disagree with what you said BTW, only that I don't think he's THAT bad (which implies not that GOOD either ;) ).

Topdog
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
about 10 seconds in Manson takes a mark

BwDKwa9goOU

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2012, 02:22 PM
about 10 seconds in Manson takes a mark

BwDKwa9goOU

Ahh good ole Charlie....and that was one of his better kicks. I recall some shockers where in front of goal 15 out he'd skew them off the boot with a banana like helicopter.
He was a bit of a cult hero for a while.. Seemed like an affable bloke too, one of the few Filth players of that era who I didn't despise.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Ahh good ole Charlie....and that was one of his better kicks. I recall some shockers where in front of goal 15 out he'd skew them off the boot with a banana like helicopter.
He was a bit of a cult hero for a while.. Seemed like an affable bloke too, one of the few Filth players of that era who I didn't despise.

Clay is a pretty good shot at goal, its his field kicking letting him down, especially the short chip passing.

chef
08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I think I may've heard something like this. Not sure the Dalrymple was specifically told to pick Smith, or whether Macca gave him the instruction to pick the best inside, contested ball winning player that was available. If this was the extent of the brief, then Dalrymple hit the mark well as well as he could, as at this stage I can't see anyone else in Smith's draft class that was a better fit for that role.

It was apparently a toss up between him and Kerridge who went to Adelaide.

Topdog
08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Yeah was a thing of beauty. I just grabbed the first one that came up for those that are too young to have seen him play.

stefoid
09-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Yep as a kid there were always a couple of kids who did this, and yes it usually disappeared once they were 13 or so.
Clay's action is different again though, he shifts the ball to his side and then seems to double handed drop the ball onto his foot. Don't know if you ever remember seeing James Manson back in the 80's and early 90's. He is the only player I can recall who has this similar action to Clay. And Manson was an absolute horror to watch when kicking.

Talia's action is similar.

Neither of these guys is going to be able to hit a target while running or under pressure. Best they can hope is to get the ball a teammate when they are in space.

Doesnt mean they wont be decent players, but a decent team cant have too many players who cant kick and we are about our limit already.

GVGjr
09-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Talia's action is similar.

Neither of these guys is going to be able to hit a target while running or under pressure. Best they can hope is to get the ball a teammate when they are in space.

Doesnt mean they wont be decent players, but a decent team cant have too many players who cant kick and we are about our limit already.

Talia is more comfortable kicking the ball across the ground to an open team mate more than driving the ball forward but I think he can get better at this.

You're right, we can't have too many players with limited kicking ability and our focus going forward should be to identify players with above average kicking skills.

Sedat
09-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Clay is a pretty good shot at goal, its his field kicking letting him down, especially the short chip passing.
As a mid he will get much more ball under pressure around the ground than he will set shots at goal. His kicking needs a lot of work, but he looks the type to roll the sleeves up and work hard on all aspects of his game.

Let's not sugarcoat his weakness but lets back him in to keep working hard to make it better, while he continues to become an inside clearance winning monster of the competition. I'm not expecting him to suddenly become Mark Browning but would be stoked if he became adequate and dependable by foot. I love his attitude and his competitive instincts.

DragzLS1
11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
In and under star of in teh coming years! His attitude and work rate is great and think he will be a favourite in the coming years :)

Dazza
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
He's had a very good first year.

His actual kicking is not too bad provided he's in space. It's his action that gets him in trouble when under a bit of pressure.

Either way. I'm glad we picked him up.

KT31
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
IMO supporters have been a bit harsh on him, he has had a great first year and has shown a lot of promise.
Glad he has shown a bit of faith in the club and extended his time at the Dogs.

Twodogs
12-09-2012, 01:39 PM

I think David Cloke had a similiar sort of double handed kicking action.

giaco
12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I think David Cloke had a similiar sort of double handed kicking action.

I'd be willing to bet that he's right-handed but a left foot kick. I've seen similar problems in kids when they kick left foot but the right hand is dominant in guiding the ball down. He probably just didn't have the strength or coordination in his left hand when he was younger, and has now developed the habit of dropping it that way.

Twodogs
13-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd be willing to bet that he's right-handed but a left foot kick. I've seen similar problems in kids when they kick left foot but the right hand is dominant in guiding the ball down. He probably just didn't have the strength or coordination in his left hand when he was younger, and has now developed the habit of dropping it that way.

I'm exactly the same. Right hand dominant, left foot kick. Pretty much do everything with my right hand except drop the ball when I kick and throw underhand.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm exactly the same. Right hand dominant, left foot kick. Pretty much do everything with my right hand except drop the ball when I kick and throw underhand.

Does Clay Smith's kicking action look similar to yours?

Twodogs
13-09-2012, 02:33 PM

I've never seen my kicking action from a third person perspective.

westdog54
13-09-2012, 03:02 PM

I've never seen my kicking action from a third person perspective.

Actually its slightly better. Slightly...

WBFC4FFC
13-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm the opposite in that I kick on the right naturally but handball on the left!

Smith's action looks like a more compact version of the old Swans Full-Back Andrew Dunckley (if that makes sense).

F'scary
13-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I think his first season was as good as Libba jnr's first. He ticks the boxes with me as an excellent inside middy. Good use of the first round pick as we had just lost Ward and the year before Harbrow. I think from memory a number of the picks taken by GWS were keys so I don't think he is in any way a bit of a left over after every other middy had been snarred by the compromised draft. At any rate, there's always a bit of a lottery in picks. Grant, C was a very late pick. Been passed over by every other club when we took him.

westdog54
13-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I think his first season was as good as Libba jnr's first. He ticks the boxes with me as an excellent inside middy. Good use of the first round pick as we had just lost Ward and the year before Harbrow. I think from memory a number of the picks taken by GWS were keys so I don't think he is in any way a bit of a left over after every other middy had been snarred by the compromised draft. At any rate, there's always a bit of a lottery in picks. Grant, C was a very late pick. Been passed over by every other club when we took him.

Was also a 16 year old when he was drafted and wouldn't be eligible to be drafted nowadays.

jeemak
13-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm the opposite in that I kick on the right naturally but handball on the left!

Smith's action looks like a more compact version of the old Swans Full-Back Andrew Dunckley (if that makes sense).

I think it's a massive exageration to say his kicking style looks the same as Dunkley's, irrespective of it being more compact.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm the opposite in that I kick on the right naturally but handball on the left!Smith's action looks like a more compact version of the old Swans Full-Back Andrew Dunckley (if that makes sense).

So does Mattie Boyd; maybe this is the cause of his disposal issues.

F'scary
18-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Was also a 16 year old when he was drafted and wouldn't be eligible to be drafted nowadays.

An excellent observation that demonstrates what a great he was. Western Bulldogs should clone him before there is any degredation of his DNA.

Mofra
19-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I think, if anything, Clay Smith shows that the majority of attention will be on a player's flaws rather than their attibutes.
If he has any doubts about this, he should ask Crossy. That bloke that regularly features at the top end of our B&F count.

Doc26
15-07-2013, 06:36 PM
SEN just reported that the Bulldogs have confirmed the worst that Clay has torn his anterior cruciate and will undergo a traditional knee reconstruction. Wretched luck.

Wishing Clay a speedy and sound recovery.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Terrible news.

He has had a good season, hopefully he makes a quick recovery. Players seem to be coming back from ACL's a little better than the past - Luke Ball would be a good reference point for Smith.

Sedat
15-07-2013, 06:56 PM
He has had a good season, hopefully he makes a quick recovery. Players seem to be coming back from ACL's a little better than the past - Luke Ball would be a good reference point for Smith.
Reckon he's been even better than that. I was nervous when we drafted him but his level of improvement in his deficiencies from last year to this year has been particularly encouraging, and a reflection of his hard work ethic and sheer will to be the best he can possibly be. I can't think of too many 2nd year mids in the competition who are impacting matches at senior level as much as Clay has been this year.

Wishing for a speedy recovery so that he can terrorise more opposition mids in the next 10-12 years.

wimberga
15-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Feel for the bloke.

The only positive (if there is one) is he has 12 solid months in the gym to stack on the muscle and become a complete wrecking ball.

chef
15-07-2013, 07:10 PM
This sucks.

Redemption97
15-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Poor kid! We're going to miss his tenacity at the contest and reasonable goal sense. We've seen enough of him now to know we've got a player in Smith. Wish him a speedy recovery... I guess this means Wallis will get some more game time... Hope he takes the opportunity... Certainly need him to lift

DOG GOD
15-07-2013, 07:35 PM
All the best to Clay...love the way he goes about it...will be a major player for us in the coming years.

Eastdog
15-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Poor Clay. It is such a disappointment for him. Good luck for his recovery.

comrade
15-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Damn it.

Trying to find a positive, Clay's game isn't exactly built on speed, finesse and mobility. He is a physical beast that works hard and out muscles his opposition.

Fingers crossed but I would hope that an ACL injury won't significantly impact his unique skill set. He now has 6-12 months to get even stronger and given the ACL is his right knee, perhaps even work on smoothing out his kicking action.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Damn it.

Trying to find a positive, Clay's game isn't exactly built on speed, finesse and mobility. He is a physical beast that works hard and out muscles his opposition.

Fingers crossed but I would hope that an ACL injury won't significantly impact his unique skill set. He now has 6-12 months to get even stronger and given the ACL is his right knee, perhaps even work on smoothing out his kicking action.

Clay is actually quite quick, surprised a few people haven't noticed

Greystache
15-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Terrible news.

He's a great young kid who is improving all the time. Let's hope he makes a speedy recovery and tears it up next year.

comrade
15-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Clay is actually quite quick, surprised a few people haven't noticed

He's not going to win the GF sprint though, is he?

He gets caught and corralled quite often when he tries to take on an opponent in a foot race - see the lead up to Stringer's wonder goal against West Coast.

I don't think a severe knee injury will curtail him as much as it has for Adam Cooney. I also think he will work as hard as possible to get himself right, given what we know of his work ethic.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Terrible news for the young man. Wishing him all the best for his surgery and rehab. He's going to be a great long term player for our club so oping he makes a full recovery and can get back on the park sometime next season.

westdog54
15-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Terrible news. Hope Murph takes him out for a coffee this week and uses his own rehab experience to keep him in a good head space.

I keep bringing myself back to Libba's recovery and hope that with the hard work and professionalism that we all know Clay will throw into his rehab, that he will be back and knocking blokes over sooner rather than later.

F'scary
15-07-2013, 09:02 PM
6-12 months, eh? If it is 9 months, he is back for round 1 next year. Here's hoping.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Have that same empty feeling from when Dale broke his leg against the same mugs.

G-Mo77
15-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Thought it would be the worst news just hoping for good. Gutted for him.

bornadog
15-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Worse thing that can happen to a young player, hopefully he gets back to start the new season.

Remi Moses
16-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Crap News . Good luck Clay
He'll be back, he'll work his arse off .

SonofScray
16-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Gutted. He gave us plenty this season, really thought he was finding his feet as an AFL player. Developing into a real weapon. Hard, aggressive bullocking play not unlike Mitch Hahn with a dash of that traitor Callan Ward's good traits for good measure.

His best performances were across the HFF as well which for a kid is a tough gig IMO. Hope he has a full recovery.

bulldogsman
16-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Ouch. Poor Clay.

I really enjoy watching him play. I think crunched about two players on the weekend just through his aggression and his kicking on goal has been quite impressive. Will be missed.

always right
16-07-2013, 02:31 PM
A lot of oposition players will breath a little easier knowing they don't have to try and get past this bloke. One of the best tacklers seen at this club even after just two seasons. Hope to see you round 1 next year Clay.

Daughter of the West
16-07-2013, 05:21 PM
All the best for a speedy recovery Clay, the side will certainly miss you!

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Can't wait to see the damage this guy will do when he gets back after 12 months in the gym

ledge
17-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Broke my heart, this bloke bleeds for the club already, might not be pretty but how good could he be as a future captain?

Mantis
17-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Good luck with your rehab.

He is growing on me due to his 'bully' like traits around the ball, but his kicking ( except for goal) is still an area of concern... Seems the type of character who will do all he can to improve so hopefully it rings true.

Ozza
17-07-2013, 12:59 PM
One of the things I like most about Clay is when he is in one-on-one with an opponent going for a ground ball, you can be very confident that he will with the contest. Similarly, if he needs to apply a tackle, they just don't get past him without being held up.

Competitive beast. Can't wait to see him back playing after the rehab.

Seems to be 'made of pretty good stuff' as the coach likes to say.

The Underdog
17-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Good luck with your rehab.

He is growing on me due to his 'bully' luke traits around the ball, but his kicking ( except for goal) is still an area of concern... Seems the type of character who will do all he can to improve so hopefully it rings true.

His improvement as a tagging type recently plus his ability around goals has certainly added some strings to his bow, plus he is good fun to watch around the ball. Definitely a guy who'll leave no stone unturned to improve. His kicking will never be elite but he certainly is beginning to win me over. Hope he gets back for round one next year.