PDA

View Full Version : Robert Murphy-OUR spiritual leader

Mitcha
05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Anyone catch AFL 360 last night? For those that didn't, Murph was asked about the rumour of him moving to another club to chase a premiership before he finishes AFL football. He replied that he wasn't going anywhere and that he wanted to stay and help the BULLDOGS win a flag rather than win one for himself elsewhere. In my mind Bobby is the heart and soul of our club. Great, great man.

azabob
05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Anyone catch AFL 360 last night? For those that didn't, Murph was asked about the rumour of him moving to another club to chase a premiership before he finishes AFL football. He replied that he wasn't going anywhere and that he wanted to stay and help the BULLDOGS win a flag rather than win one for himself elsewhere. In my mind Bobby is the heart and soul of our club. Great, great man.

This is no surprise.

This is the man, who made sure some of our old, run down training facility was brought across to the new state of the art facility to make sure we never forget were we came from.

Hopefully players such as Wallis, Liberatore, Smith and Dahl continue the same passion for the club.

Eastdog
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Didn't watch 360 but it is great to hear players talk like this. Good on him. Robert Murphy for a long time has been a great servant of our club. Grant and Johnson are others that stayed loyal and were great servants and never took the easy route and find success for themselves unlike some players in the AFL.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Bought tears to my eyes. As someone said on this forum once (no disrespect intended) he bleeds red white and blue

choconmientay
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks for reporting. Didn't watch it either. Yes, we love him. Favorite player of my little boy. Now, we love him even more.

westdog54
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Had he sought a trade after his HOF speech in the old long sleeve tricolour it would have boiled my blood, so glad to hear he's staying.

Maddog37
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
It's funny because he has never been my favorite player but when I got a new jumper I put his number on it. It just seemed right.

bornadog
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Love Murphy, great guy and true Bulldog. Played golf with him once and he was just fantastic.

Max469
05-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Would not expect anything less from Bob.

Fantastic guy. Love him

chef
06-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Yep, I watch this and it made me smile. You could just tell that Bobby is going to involved at the Dogs in some capacity for the rest of his life.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Once Bob goes, will there ever be another player that has a sense of the old school concept of fidelity to a club and our working class roots? ( he's not a baby boomer, but understands their ethic in work and culture )?
Never a bloke to be caught out at King street...that's for sure. Old / new school. Really took the torch from Chris Grant one feels.

Murphy'sLore
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Couldn't love him more :)

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but he really should be captain

angelopetraglia
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I have a man crush on Bob. Just love him.

Watched that 360 segment. You could just tell how much the club means to him. Winning a premiership for him at another club would have zero meaning.

No wonder Aker hates him so much .... their values on football and life are polar opposites. Bob represents everything Aker isn't.

LostDoggy
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Once Bob goes, will there ever be another player that has a sense of the old school concept of fidelity to a club and our working class roots? ( he's not a baby boomer, but understands their ethic in work and culture )?
Never a bloke to be caught out at King street...that's for sure. Old / new school. Really took the torch from Chris Grant one feels.

Suspect you may get some long term fidelity from his mate Wallis :)

always right
06-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Post retirement the club must find a role for him. I'd imagine a player development role would be an ideal fit......development of people on and off field.

LostDoggy
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks for that Mitcha. I didn't see AFL 360. Great to hear he wants to stay a Bulldog forever. :)

Murphy'sLore
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm sure he's expressed an interest in the recruitment/development side of things.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Suspect you may get some long term fidelity from his mate Wallis :)

I thought as much with Ward, being a local lad. It's a different world now.

craigsahibee
06-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Post retirement the club must find a role for him. I'd imagine a player development role would be an ideal fit......development of people on and off field.

Nah, he'll buy a record shop and sit around reminiscing about lost loves and making top 5 lists.

westdog54
07-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Nah, he'll buy a record shop and sit around reminiscing about lost loves and making top 5 lists.

I must admit I chuckled when I read this.

azabob
07-09-2012, 06:35 AM

I must admit I chuckled when I read this.

It is funny because it is true...

bornadog
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM

I remember years ago at a family day my daughter was getting an autograph from him and there was a band up on stage. I said to Murph, I thought you would be up there belting out a tune and he said, nah, I know my limitations.:D

Murphy'sLore
07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Our very own Nick Hornby!

EasternWest
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Is that Peter f@;(/&g Frampton?

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Yeah, there will. Thats what's different about our club, and why I love the Bulldogs so much after 30 years of heartbreak and no flags.