PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Djerrkura

The Coon Dog
14-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Has decided to retire.

bornadog
14-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Has decided to retire.

Good luck to him whatever he does in the future. Didn't make a big impact at the doggies, but still played for the tri-colour and will always respect him for that.

Murphy'sLore
14-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Wish him well and sorry it didn't work out better. He always so close to doing something special but it never quite clicked.

chef
14-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Good luck to him whatever he does in the future. Didn't make a big impact at the doggies, but still played for the tri-colour and will always respect him for that.

Same here. Thanks Nathan and good luck in the future.

SlimPickens
14-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Is this a mcqualter/eddy type of retirement?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Attitude was great, just didn't have the ability to impact AFL footy.

Ghost Dog
14-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Finally started to look the goods V Geelong!!! Gah.

The Pie Man
14-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Best of luck to him - gave it a crack, had some moments...more than plenty.

Eastdog
14-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Nathan. Good luck for whatever you want to do after footy.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Has decided to retire.

how did you find this out Coon Dog?

im not doubting it but i cant find any news on it. Its all on Moles being delisted

G-Mo77
14-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Best of luck to DJ.

Greystache
14-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Good summation. He gave it his best but not everyone is destined to have a long and successful AFL career.

Ozza
14-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Same sentiments here - no problems at all with attitude and work rate. Seemed like a really good kid - but was just a step or two off making the grade long term.

Best of luck to him.

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks to nathan for having a crack in the red, white & blue! There is a spot up here with St Marys if he's keen!

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Good summation. He gave it his best but not everyone is destined to have a long and successful AFL career.

Always a risk to recruit players who have failed at other clubs. Moles and Veszpremi being other examples. Compare this type of recruiting with the Sydney Swans eg Kennedy McGlynn Mumford Mattner Shaw and Richards. We have wasted a lot of time with little to show for it.

Remi Moses
14-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Important lesson
No more Geelong cast offs.
Good luck to DJ in his future endeavors.

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Always a risk to recruit players who have failed at other clubs. Moles and Veszpremi being other examples. Compare this type of recruiting with the Sydney Swans eg Kennedy McGlynn Mumford Mattner Shaw and Richards. We have wasted a lot of time with little to show for it.

Why are people starstruck about Sydney's recycling efforts but never mention the extra 800K they get in the cap. I think it makes it a lot easier. Eg The Mumford offer was ridiculous.

SlimPickens
14-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Why are people starstruck about Sydney's recycling efforts but never mention the extra 800K they get in the cap. I think it makes it a lot easier. Eg The Mumford offer was ridiculous.

Or the fact that this recycled group hasn't taken them to a grand final...yet

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Some of them arent really rejects. Original clubs wanted to keep them but they got better offers in Sydney.

Bulldog Revolution
14-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I have often felt Nathan needed 2 bits of luck and a bit of self belief and could have really established himself.

If this is the decision he has made then I really respect him for it.

I think he is a smart guy who plans to make a success of the rest of his life.

w3design
14-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Are you suggesting that extra funds would have made DJ, Sherman or Moles any better, or that we just took them because they were cheap options?

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Are you suggesting that extra funds would have made DJ, Sherman or Moles any better, or that we just took them because they were cheap options?
Not suggesting anything about them.
Someone compared our recycled to Sydney's. You get a bit more quality with more money.

GVGjr
14-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Someone compared our recycled to Sydney's. You get a bit more quality with more money.

Sherman is being paid a damn good salary so it's not an exact science.

LongWait
14-09-2012, 09:26 PM

I'm glad you raised this point Chops - I've got to admit I'd forgotten about Sydney's extra cap allowance. Puts the Sydney recruiting of players from other clubs into context.

AndrewP6
14-09-2012, 10:25 PM
If it's true, a real shame. I like DJ, he gives his all to the cause. Never quite took the extra step, but certainly put his best effort into it. I wish him well with the next chapter of his life.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I recall the lead up to the draft that he was in Foxt did a bit of a feature on him. I was quite impressed with both his footy skills and his attitude, and I subsequently followed him a bit during the Under 18 Carnival. From what I saw of him in the carnival I was hoping he'd fall to us in the draft as he looked a talent.

Goes to show that being a success at Under 18's is by no means an indicator of success in the big league.
He never seemed to have the composure in the big league that he displayed at the junior level.
Nonetheless, no doubt he gave it his best shot, and I wish him every success in his life.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Djitti was never going to make it unless they put a handle on the ball. I've never seen an AFL player fumble as much as him.

Anyway, I wish him well with whatever it is he does.

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm glad you raised this point Chops - I've got to admit I'd forgotten about Sydney's extra cap allowance. Puts the Sydney recruiting of players from other clubs into context.
No worries Longwait.
I thought people like you need things like that to be pointed out. :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-09-2012, 11:20 PM

You are missing the point. Good sides attract better players. Burgoyne Gibson and Hale to Hawthorn is another case in point. As was Jolly and Ball to Collingwood being a big factor in their 2010 premiership. If we had been able to lure Barry Hall, a year earlier the WB just might have been a premiership contender.

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 11:26 PM
You are missing the point. Good sides attract better players. Burgoyne Gibson and Hale to Hawthorn is another case in point. As was Jolly and Ball to Collingwood being a big factor in their 2010 premiership. If we had been able to lure Barry Hall, a year earlier the WB just might have been a premiership contender.

The point was made with Sydney and is often made with Sydney.
I agree we recruited poorly just believe a club with 800K extra is like comparing apples and oranges.
Is Sydney a good side cos they have a bigger cap?

Remi Moses
14-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Good point. We were pretty keen on Ted Richards, but he decided on Sydney.

Topdog
14-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Glad that he retired as he wasn't great but you can never really fault someone who tries his hardest

LongWait
14-09-2012, 11:43 PM
No worries Longwait.

Did I deserve that? :p

Last time I'll give credit where it's due.

jeemak
15-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Sherman is being paid a damn good salary so it's not an exact science.

I recall the lead up to the draft that he was in Foxt did a bit of a feature on him. I was quite impressed with both his footy skills and his attitude, and I subsequently followed him a bit during the Under 18 Carnival. From what I saw of him in the carnival I was hoping he'd fall to us in the draft as he looked a talent.

Goes to show that being a success at Under 18's is by no means an indicator of success in the big league.
He never seemed to have the composure in the big league that he displayed at the junior level.
Nonetheless, no doubt he gave it his best shot, and I wish him every success in his life.

Djitti was never going to make it unless they put a handle on the ball. I've never seen an AFL player fumble as much as him.

The point was made with Sydney and is often made with Sydney.
I agree we recruited poorly just believe a club with 800K extra is like comparing apples and oranges.
Is Sydney a good side cos they have a bigger cap?

All good points, and everyone in this instance is pretty much bang on the mark, depending on which side you stand.

DJ was an exceptionally talented footballer, who clearly couldn't keep his head in the game sufficiently to make the most of his talent. None of his handling issues were due to technique or talent, unfortunately each time the football came near him you could see smoke coming out of his ears. He just cooked his brain upon the thought of having to get the footy, and think about doing something with it. He tried his guts out though, and I respect him for that.

With Sydney attracting good players I think it's a mixture of culture, psychological and physical distance from the football Mecca that is Melbourne, and the fact they have more cash to throw around on second tier players with talent.

They are capitalising very well on their reputation as a club with very good cultural footings, but they also benefit from being in an environment where not too many people give a shit about Australian Rules Footballers. The only way I could imagine living in Sydney is if I was earning multiple six figure salaries, and able to go about my business without bother. It would be a great place to play football, the weather is nicer, there's beaches close to the city and the cash is great. What's not to like?

Desipura
15-09-2012, 07:37 AM
One bit of minor detail has not been mentioned and that is the cost of living in Sydney is far greater than any state in Australia.
Try buying a house within 20kms of the city.
If Sydney had the same salary cap as other teams and offered a player to move there, surely the player has to weigh up the cost of buying a new house in Sydney vs what he may be living in another state.
If the player has a family, the cost of living will be even greater. This is would be one of the reasons the AFL has allocated them extra $$$$.
And yes, the AFL want to ensure that the Sydney market prospers under any circumstances due to the potential $$$$ they could attract.

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2012, 09:24 AM
One bit of minor detail has not been mentioned and that is the cost of living in Sydney is far greater than any state in Australia.
Try buying a house within 20kms of the city.
If Sydney had the same salary cap as other teams and offered a player to move there, surely the player has to weigh up the cost of buying a new house in Sydney vs what he may be living in another state.
If the player has a family, the cost of living will be even greater. This is would be one of the reasons the AFL has allocated them extra $$$$.
And yes, the AFL want to ensure that the Sydney market prospers under any circumstances due to the potential $$$$ they could attract.

Then Adelaide and Geelong should have a reduced salary cap then

jeemak
15-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Last time I checked it was pretty bloody expensive to live and rent in Melbourne, and it's getting closer to Sydney every day.

bornadog
15-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Djerrkura to head home (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/djerrkura-to-head-home-20120914-25xy5.html)

NATHAN Djerrkura has retired from the Western Bulldogs, deciding to head home to the Northern Territory rather than play out the final year of his contract, and with the blessing of the club.
Djerrkura told teammates this week that, after 10 years in Victoria - at Scotch College, Geelong and the Whitten Oval - he planned to move back to the Gove Peninsula in Arnhem Land, feeling a sense of responsibility to the community he left as a schoolboy.
After struggling to break into the Geelong line-up following his drafting in 2006, Djerrkura has played 21 games for the Bulldogs over the past two seasons. He played 13 games this year - his most productive.
The 23-year-old, whose late father, Gatjil, was a former chairman of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission and a prominent Aboriginal activist, already runs youth leadership workshops in Gove.

''My decision to retire from AFL football and return home after 10 years away was a difficult one but one I feel comfortable with,'' he said.
''I have given the best part of my life, wholeheartedly, to playing AFL football and have had some terrific experiences, but being away from my family, community and the cultural responsibilities I hold, are reasons enough to head home.
''The Western Bulldogs have been terrific to me throughout my time here. I know the club is heading in the right direction under Brendan [McCartney] and I want to thank the club, my teammates and especially Brett Goodes [player wellbeing manager] for his counsel and friendship.''
James Fantasia, the Bulldogs' football manager, said Djerrkura had made a strong impression in his two years at the club and they had mutually agreed to part ways.
''You could never have questioned his commitment, but he's obviously come to a point in his own mind where he thinks it's time for him to move home, and we respect that and wish him all the best,'' he said.
''I think it's played on his mind a bit. He always knew there would be a time when he would want to go back to his family and to give a little more back from a community and cultural point of view. He's not someone who makes rushed decisions, he's given this a fair bit of consideration and he was certainly very well regarded around the footy club and very popular amongst the guys.''
The Dogs yesterday delisted another three players - former rookies Brodie Moles, James Mulligan and Andrew Hooper - and will wait until after the trade period before making any further changes.
Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee have retired, meaning the Bulldogs, who are likely to upgrade at least two rookies, have six open spots on their list. The club, which holds picks five and six in the national draft, is well positioned to secure talented young West Australian midfielder Jack Martin by dealing with Greater Western Sydney for a choice in the final 17-year-old mini-draft.

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2012, 02:28 PM
NATHAN Djerrkura has retired from the Western Bulldogs, deciding to head home to the Northern Territory rather than play out the final year of his contract, and with the blessing of the club.

Told you all he was given a 3 year contract

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Only 1 person didn't believe you.

Greystache
15-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Yep, spot on as usual

He will be out of contract at the end of the season, and is under no illusions about the difficulty of the challenge before him to remain on the Bulldogs list for 2013 and beyond.

Now in his sixth AFL season, the 23-year-old has played a total of 15 AFL games at two clubs.

In a rare interview, the quietly-spoken Djerrkura conceded he was under pressure to perform, but was positive about his prospects.

Asked if it was accurate to suggest he was facing a make-or-break season, Djerrkura was emphatic.

"That's exactly what it is," he told AFL.com.au.

"I've just got to put my head down and keep trying to improve every aspect of my game.

"I have to do what I can to cement my spot in the side, and do what I can to make the team better.

"And I think I can do that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/134004/default.aspx

westdog54
15-09-2012, 03:25 PM

No worries Longwait.

Did I deserve that? :p

Last time I'll give credit where it's due.

I don't like to take threads off topic, but I had a bit of a quiet chuckle when I read this friendly little exchange. Good to see you two kiss and make up.:D

ledge
15-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't like to take threads off topic, but I had a bit of a quiet chuckle when I read this friendly little exchange. Good to see you two kiss and make up.:D
Wouldn't be surprised if they are a married couple.

Desipura
15-09-2012, 04:23 PM

I dont like these I told you so posts.

F'scary
15-09-2012, 07:01 PM

This is a correct assessment. His hands were not magnets, unless they were magnets with the polarity reversed.

LongWait
15-09-2012, 07:01 PM

One of us blew a kiss - the other slapped a wet fish across the face. :D

ledge
15-09-2012, 07:05 PM
One of us blew a kiss - the other slapped a wet fish across the face. :D

Yep confirmed married couple

LongWait
15-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Yep confirmed married couple

Chops is the girl then! :eek:

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Djerrkura to head home (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/djerrkura-to-head-home-20120914-25xy5.html)

Djerrkura told teammates this week that, after 10 years in Victoria - at Scotch College, Geelong and the Whitten Oval - he planned to move back to the Gove Peninsula in Arnhem Land, feeling a sense of responsibility to the community he left as a schoolboy.
After struggling to break into the Geelong line-up following his drafting in 2006, Djerrkura has played 21 games for the Bulldogs over the past two seasons. He played 13 games this year - his most productive.
The 23-year-old, whose late father, Gatjil, was a former chairman of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission and a prominent Aboriginal activist, already runs youth leadership workshops in Gove.

''My decision to retire from AFL football and return home after 10 years away was a difficult one but one I feel comfortable with,'' he said.
''I have given the best part of my life, wholeheartedly, to playing AFL football and have had some terrific experiences, but being away from my family, community and the cultural responsibilities I hold, are reasons enough to head home.
''The Western Bulldogs have been terrific to me throughout my time here. I know the club is heading in the right direction under Brendan [McCartney] and I want to thank the club, my teammates and especially Brett Goodes [player wellbeing manager] for his counsel and friendship.''
James Fantasia, the Bulldogs' football manager, said Djerrkura had made a strong impression in his two years at the club and they had mutually agreed to part ways.
''You could never have questioned his commitment, but he's obviously come to a point in his own mind where he thinks it's time for him to move home, and we respect that and wish him all the best,'' he said.
''I think it's played on his mind a bit. He always knew there would be a time when he would want to go back to his family and to give a little more back from a community and cultural point of view. He's not someone who makes rushed decisions, he's given this a fair bit of consideration and he was certainly very well regarded around the footy club and very popular amongst the guys.''
The Dogs yesterday delisted another three players - former rookies Brodie Moles, James Mulligan and Andrew Hooper - and will wait until after the trade period before making any further changes.
Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee have retired, meaning the Bulldogs, who are likely to upgrade at least two rookies, have six open spots on their list. The club, which holds picks five and six in the national draft, is well positioned to secure talented young West Australian midfielder Jack Martin by dealing with Greater Western Sydney for a choice in the final 17-year-old mini-draft.

Did our recruiters really do our proper due diligence on the guy? Was he always expected to return home (in his early 20s) like Fantasia is quoted as saying in the article. I just see the role that Puopolo (hard nut, forward tagger) is playing at Hawthorn and think that one will definitely come back to bite us - I understand we effectively bypassed him by trading a pick to Geelong for Djerrkura

AndrewP6
15-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Did our recruiters really do our proper due diligence on the guy? Was he always expected to return home (in his early 20s) like Fantasia is quoted as saying in the article. I just see the role that Puopolo (hard nut, forward tagger) is playing at Hawthorn and think that one will definitely come back to bite us - I understand we effectively bypassed him by trading a pick to Geelong for Djerrkura

I don't think anyone could've predicted he'd go home at 23. The pull of 'family and community' for indigenous people is very strong, something non-indigenous people don't fully understand.

mjp
15-09-2012, 08:46 PM

If he was going well and going to be at the club next year then he stays...he is surely retiring and going home because he has taken a settlement to retire rather than be delisted - and after failing to make a go of it at two clubs he knows he just isn't quite good enough. No shame in that.

I wouldn't read much (anything) into the 'I want to go home' stuff.

Puopolo? Completely sepately discussion surely and one that is about two years too late.

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 09:59 PM
If he was going well and going to be at the club next year then he stays...he is surely retiring and going home because he has taken a settlement to retire rather than be delisted - and after failing to make a go of it at two clubs he knows he just isn't quite good enough. No shame in that.

I wouldn't read much (anything) into the 'I want to go home' stuff.

Puopolo? Completely sepately discussion surely and one that is about two years too late.

True - there was debate two years ago, but the final outcome from drafting / trading decisions isn't fully known for some years. This is as clear a fail as can be judged for the current recruiting team

The Coon Dog
15-09-2012, 10:05 PM

I thought everyone knew he got a 3 year deal. Sedat has mentioned more than once when discussing Fantasia.

Remi Moses
16-09-2012, 12:06 AM
How in hell does a player who wasn't even a fringe player get a 3 yr contract?
Time to go back to that "Give me Fantasia's head " thread!:mad:
Gumbleton should try his luck, he'd get a five yr deal!

bornadog
16-09-2012, 12:29 AM
How in hell does a player who wasn't even a fringe player get a 3 yr contract?
Time to go back to that "Give me Fantasia's head " thread!:mad:
Gumbleton should try his luck, he'd get a five yr deal!

Minson says hello (or is that goodbye)

Greystache
16-09-2012, 02:18 AM
I thought everyone knew he got a 3 year deal. Sedat has mentioned more than once when discussing Fantasia.

It seems that everyone but the player himself thinks he got a 3 year deal. I wonder why he was under the impression he was out of contact this year.

The Pie Man
16-09-2012, 08:54 AM
It seems that everyone but the player himself thinks he got a 3 year deal. I wonder why he was under the impression he was out of contact this year.

Reading the AFL article you posted, it doesn't quote DJ conceding this point, only that 2012 was make or break for him - the author added the 2 year bit.

Not pointing this out to be difficult; the whole thing is a tad confusing with other media outlets running with 3 years as well - but at this stage it's not important as he has decided to walk. One less list management headache I suppose

GVGjr
16-09-2012, 09:26 AM
FWIW, I was of the impression that Djerrkura had a two year deal with an option of a 3rd. I'm not sure how that 3rd year was structured.

The Underdog
16-09-2012, 10:16 AM
As others have said, a player who gave full effort but was just a touch below the level required to be a solid AFL footballer. Certainly won't leave the game wondering if he could have done more. Thanks DJ.

Hopefully him leaving doesn't mean we can't continue discussing the length of his contract. That is a discussion that still has plenty of legs and I'll likely never get bored with.

ledge
16-09-2012, 10:22 AM
To me he was super quick, hard at it but left the ball behind and all
His skill once he did pick it up.

always right
16-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Poor hands yet a surprisingly strong mark. Go figure.

DJ was also the master of the U Turn when it wasn't necessary. Good luck to him.

LongWait
16-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Minson says hello (or is that goodbye)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-set-to-keep-their-big-ruckman-will-minson/story-fnelctok-1226474866121

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2012, 12:43 PM
FWIW, I was of the impression that Djerrkura had a two year deal with an option of a 3rd. I'm not sure how that 3rd year was structured.

Typically those kind of things are based on number of games played. That would explain a lot.

He would have been feeling the pressure to hit his games trigger so his interview would make sense.

Our sources inside the club that told us he signed a 3 year deal at the time would be correct.

The article saying he sacrificed the third year of his deal would also be correct.

bornadog
16-09-2012, 03:09 PM
0gUPU1kod30

If only he played consistently like this.

bornadog
16-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Bit of an insight into DJ

PL03fkqVHZg

azabob
16-09-2012, 03:30 PM
0gUPU1kod30

If only he played consistently like this.

When he was clean, he was very clean, I wonder if he thought too much or put too much pressure on himself which led to him fumbling and missing easy goals?

gohardorgohome
16-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Bit of an insight into DJ

PL03fkqVHZg

What a fantastic insight to Nathan..... I get the feeling his time in the AFL will be just a stepping stone in a much more important story.

I'm sure he will be a fantastic role model to both his family and community...

Good luck!!!

Desipura
17-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Some players have that highlights package of 1 game not over an entire career.

immortalmike
17-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Some players have that highlights package of 1 game not over an entire career.

To be fair it was mostly taken from two games against Melbourne and Geelong.

Desipura
17-09-2012, 07:50 PM
To be fair it was mostly taken from two games against Melbourne and Geelong.

Ok so over 2 games not one.

LostDoggy
05-06-2015, 12:51 PM
I saw an AFLPA email about Nathan's painting and artworks on show in Geelong at the Court House Youth Arts centre. I was in Geelong today so I've popped in for a look. If any WOOFers are Geelong-based or in the area today or this weekend I highly recommend you come in and check out Nathan's beautiful artworks. His exhibition, Buymarr, is a showcase of works inspired by his homeland, Arnhem Land. I met him in the gallery today and had a quick chat. He is back in Geelong, looking for work in the trades and doing his paintings. One in particular, a snake weaving between two stingrays, is positively beautiful guys. It's probably a bit of an unusual post-footy career but by the look of his paintings, hopefully for Nathan it's a positive one.

Twodogs
05-06-2015, 01:58 PM
I saw an AFLPA email about Nathan's painting and artworks on show in Geelong at the Court House Youth Arts centre. I was in Geelong today so I've popped in for a look. If any WOOFers are Geelong-based or in the area today or this weekend I highly recommend you come in and check out Nathan's beautiful artworks. His exhibition, Buymarr, is a showcase of works inspired by his homeland, Arnhem Land. I met him in the gallery today and had a quick chat. He is back in Geelong, looking for work in the trades and doing his paintings. One in particular, a snake weaving between two stingrays, is positively beautiful guys. It's probably a bit of an unusual post-footy career but by the look of his paintings, hopefully for Nathan it's a positive one.

Cheers for pointing this out BAS. I googled Nathan and the exhibition name and found a few examples of his work. Some good stuff, I like how he has used colours.

bornadog
05-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Did you buy a couple :D

Templeton31
05-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I went for a run with Nathan a few years ago (long story). Very humble man. Very passionate about Arnhem Land. Lovely bloke.

EasternWest
05-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Nice one BAS.

He wasn't a great player, but by all reports he's a great guy.