PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Final Streak - Opposite of the Bulldogs

angelopetraglia
19-09-2012, 03:40 PM
As many Western Bulldog fans, I have had the pain of attending seven losing preliminary finals (85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09 & 10). Just typing this is creating some real stress issues. Seven in a row, seriously, that's one really bad losing streak. :(

I was in Sydney today and read in the paper that Manly has the opposite record. They never ever lose preliminary finals! They have now won 11 in a row in a record that goes back to 1975. Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manly-sea-eagles-undefeated-in-grand-final-qualifiers-since-losing-to-eastern-suburbs-in-1975/story-fn2mcuj6-1226477002239

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Slightly incorrect. It's 11 straight grand final qualifiers not prelims.
I would say they won 2nd semis to go straight into the gf and miss the prelim altogether.

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I was at most of those too. Still not over 1997. :(

As a Storm supporter I have seen us win 5 out of 6 preliminary finals (1999, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) 3 of those in person (the first 2 were played in Sydney) and it is very exciting. Hopefully it will be 6 out of 7 after Friday night and we can put an end to Manly's winning streak! :)

bornadog
19-09-2012, 04:40 PM
I was at most of those too. Still not over 1997. :(

As a Storm supporter I have seen us win 5 out of 6 preliminary finals (1999, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) 3 of those in person (the first 2 were played in Sydney) and it is very exciting. Hopefully it will be 6 out of 7 after Friday night and we can put an end to Manly's winning streak! :)

Go storm, destroy that manly record

DragzLS1
19-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I am backing the storm and backing Sydney to beat the pies! Thats 2 loosing streaks with 1 stone if you will.. haha

Eastdog
19-09-2012, 05:51 PM
As many Western Bulldog fans, I have had the pain of attending seven losing preliminary finals (85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09 & 10). Just typing this is creating some real stress issues. Seven in a row, seriously, that's one really bad losing streak. :(

I was in Sydney today and read in the paper that Manly has the opposite record. They never ever lose preliminary finals! They have now won 11 in a row in a record that goes back to 1975. Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manly-sea-eagles-undefeated-in-grand-final-qualifiers-since-losing-to-eastern-suburbs-in-1975/story-fn2mcuj6-1226477002239

Hopefully next time we make a prelim we break that drought.

Remi Moses
19-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Manly got armchair ridden into this one.
Hopefully the storm end their season.

LostDoggy
20-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Manly got armchair ridden into this one.
Hopefully the storm end their season.

So true. I really hope the referees have no bearing at all on tomorrows game.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Streak finished. Hopefully we break our own some time this century ......

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 11:43 PM

We really next time we make the prelim break the drought and make a GF. That week would be great for all of us in the lead to the GF. A lot of us haven't experienced that before.

Remi Moses
21-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Everyone in Sydney bar probably Phil Gould would be stoked they're goneski.

Remi Moses
21-09-2012, 11:52 PM
We really next time we make the prelim break the drought and make a GF. That week would be great for all of us in the lead to the GF. A lot of us haven't experienced that before.

Fox Footy tortured us a bit more today showing the 97 and 09 prelim's:(

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Fox Footy tortured us a bit more today showing the 97 and 09 prelim's:(

That's really rubbing it in to us.

bornadog
22-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Melbourne Storm into NRL grand final after 40-12 thrashing of Manly in elimination semi-final.

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Fantastic game. So sweet to smash Manly. Have never been in such a great atmosphere. Over 25,000 vocal Storm supporters. It was amazing. Now for the grand final....

bornadog
24-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Fantastic game. So sweet to smash Manly. Have never been in such a great atmosphere. Over 25,000 vocal Storm supporters. It was amazing. Now for the grand final....

Are you going

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Are you going

Yes, got our tickets this morning. This will be the 5th NRL grand final we've been to. When you're also a Western Bulldogs supporter you realise how hard it is just to make a grand final, so I go if I can. :)

azabob
24-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, got our tickets this morning. This will be the 5th NRL grand final we've been to. When you're also a Western Bulldogs supporter you realise how hard it is just to make a grand final, so I go if I can. :)

Good luck Suz!

How much were the tickets and are they good seats? I have no idea of the stadium layout but perhaps you can compare it to etihad?

Remi Moses
24-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Craig Bellamy's a complete genius.With all the salary cup stuff going on, and when they won games not playing for points was amazing.
Manly were lucky not to be 40 down at half time.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Nicely done. Thankfully for me, Norwood won on the weekend in the SANFL so we don't have to play a prelim now, just the GF. :D

LostDoggy
25-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Good luck Suz!

How much were the tickets and are they good seats? I have no idea of the stadium layout but perhaps you can compare it to etihad?

Thanks azabob! Very much looking forward to Sunday, hopefully we come away with a premiership!!

We went for the cheapest seats, category 4. An adult ticket is $65. We're just to the side of the goals (approx next to the Bulldogs players race toward the goals in Etihad terms), 22 rows back on the ground level. NRL finals prices are very reasonable. Of course if you want sideline tickets they are more expensive but nowhere near the AFL prices. Category 1 tickets are $200 for an adult.

azabob
25-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks azabob! Very much looking forward to Sunday, hopefully we come away with a premiership!!

We went for the cheapest seats, category 4. An adult ticket is $65. We're just to the side of the goals (approx next to the Bulldogs players race toward the goals in Etihad terms), 22 rows back on the ground level. NRL finals prices are very reasonable. Of course if you want sideline tickets they are more expensive but nowhere near the AFL prices. Category 1 tickets are $200 for an adult.

Wow, they are extremely well priced and your seat sounds like a good spot.
It certainly will be a brilliant effort if the Storm can get up.

Do you think the result (win or lose) will decide what Bellamy does coaching wise? From an absolute outsider looking in I wonder if the storm win does he thinks he needs a new challenge especially considering the whole salary cap saga and how he managed to get the club to the ultimate again?

LostDoggy
26-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Wow, they are extremely well priced and your seat sounds like a good spot.
It certainly will be a brilliant effort if the Storm can get up.

Do you think the result (win or lose) will decide what Bellamy does coaching wise? From an absolute outsider looking in I wonder if the storm win does he thinks he needs a new challenge especially considering the whole salary cap saga and how he managed to get the club to the ultimate again?

Yes, very well priced. The preliminary final last week cost us $35 each.

Bellyache has come out this week saying he wants to stay in Melbourne. I don't think he'd leave if we won the premiership, maybe multiple (legal) premierships would be challenge enough for him!! He still has next year at Storm, hopefully he'll sign another contract & stay even longer. :)

whythelongface
26-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes, very well priced. The preliminary final last week cost us $35 each.

Bellyache has come out this week saying he wants to stay in Melbourne. I don't think he'd leave if we won the premiership, maybe multiple (legal) premierships would be challenge enough for him!! He still has next year at Storm, hopefully he'll sign another contract & stay even longer. :)

He will stay with the Storm as Sheens will head to the Warriors now that he has quit/ been sacked from the Tigers. Don't think there are any more vacancies.

DragzLS1
26-09-2012, 01:02 PM
GO STORM!! Got them 1-12 and think they will take out the Bulldogs tight defence!

LostDoggy
26-09-2012, 03:36 PM
GO STORM!! Got them 1-12 and think they will take out the Bulldogs tight defence!

I hope you're right! Even though a bigger scoreline would be better for my heart. ;)