PDA

View Full Version : Dogs extend Boyd

bornadog
20-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148081/default.aspx)

WESTERN Bulldogs skipper Matthew Boyd has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the Western Bulldogs until at least the end of 2014.

"It was a great show of faith from them really - they didn't have to extend my contract but they have," Boyd told the Herald Sun.

"It gives me a great opportunity to keep playing for the football club that I love, but also to help bring the next group of young leaders up and try and teach them a little bit and help them on the journey through AFL."

The 30-year-old, skipper of the Bulldogs for the last two years, says a new generation of leaders is on the horizon at the Whitten Oval, nominating Easton Wood and Mitch Wallis as future captains of the Bulldogs.

"I'd have no hesitation in handing over the captaincy and trying to help out somebody new in the role, especially if the club thought that was the right move," he said.

"I think that would be a really good thing for me to be able to do and I'd be really happy to do that when the time is right. If that time is when I'm still playing, then I'd definitely be keen to look at that."

Boyd has played 207 games in 10 seasons at the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
20-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Very happy with this news. :)

Murphy'sLore
20-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Easton Wood for future captain? Don't think I've heard that one before, that's interesting. Boyd obviously rates him.

WB4Life
20-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Words can not discribe how much respect i have for this guy, he's everything the afl should be about, a true leader and warrior on the field!

one of my favorite bulldogs of all time!

and cops far to much from far too many on here!

DragzLS1
20-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Easton Wood for future captain? Don't think I've heard that one before, that's interesting. Boyd obviously rates him.

Possibly captaincy material as in attitude wise ectt.. But I would say Wallis is a near definite if he continues the way he has over the next 2 years! Great news and I like the way he said he would have no issue stepping down as caption and helping somebody else through the role. Loves the club!

bulldogsman
20-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Wood needs to cement himself in the side first, that is encouraging to hear though.

Well done to Boyd, well deserved after another great year.

LongWait
20-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Great news - pleased for Matthew and for the club. The more stability we have amongst our older group the better, because they are pretty thin on the ground as we all know.

BulldogBelle
20-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I hope he's fighting for his spot in the midfield in 2014 and that he relinquishes the captaincy at the end of 2013.