PDA

View Full Version : How Do you Support the Club Financially?

bornadog
21-09-2012, 02:05 PM
There are lots of different ways to support our mighty club, of course starting with annual membership and the different levels, such as reserved seating, social club , backyard bulldog, player sponsorship, the many different coterie group membership etc.

Then there are raffles, bulldoze the debt etc etc.

One reason why I started this thread was the club rang me today and asked me to buy a ticket in the raffle where you win a trip to London with the players. Tickets are $100 each and they have only sold 100, but were expecting to sell 2000. They think they will sell about 300 - pretty poor, but then again $100 is alot for some families.

Personally, I have Gold membership with reserved seating, plus I buy raffle tickets wherever possible as well as have helped out on bulldoze the debt. In the past I have helped with the Fitzroy Merger funds to eradicate the debt as well as funds into the Elite training Centre and have bought a seat in the Whitten Stand.

If I had more funds I would do more.

This thread is not to show off but to get an idea how posters help the club, we all have our own financial position and can only put in funds according to our circumstances.

LostDoggy
21-09-2012, 03:04 PM
I pay for an interstae membership with added social club membership, my little nephew's kids membership (He's back in Tassie) and I also donated $100 to the bulldoze the debt campaign earlier this year. Oh and I also buy training singlets and playing shorts direct from the club website.

Desipura
21-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I buy my membership each year and have so since 1983. I contributed a fair bit of my hard earned in 1989 to ensure we did not fold/merge.
Not only am I not in a position to contribute more, I will not be contributing more. I am sick of tired trying to prop up the club. It should not have to rely on diehards to contribute more than the membership $$$.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I am sick of tired trying to prop up the club. It should not have to rely on diehards to contribute more than the membership $$$.

I don't believe you:)

mjp
21-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I keep paying for my 5 home game seats + 2 social club tickets from over in WA. If a raffle comes up I am usually a buyer...Bulldog for Life makes the membership thing easy but it is hard to justify when you can never actually attend a game.

Desipura
21-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't believe you:)
Which bit? Sorry, I miised the joke.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Which bit? Sorry, I miised the joke.

That you won't be supporting the club financially anymore. I had a smiley not a joke icon.

Desipura
21-09-2012, 04:33 PM
That you won't be supporting the club financially anymore. I had a smiley not a joke icon.

I mean I won't be contributing more than my membership.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I have Social Club membership, pay monthly to Bulldoze the Debt, am one of the 100 who have bought a London trip raffle ticket, have bought a book of the $5 raffle tickets - I need a picture of an all day sucker to complete the post

Greystache
21-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I have an AFL membership as I watch a lot of games inc non-Bulldogs games with a group of people that all have them.

As a donation to the club I also buy a Gold Membership that I haven't used in years.

LostDoggy
21-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Didn't realise they'd only sold 100 tickets. I can't afford it, really, but bugger it. I'm ringing them now…

bornadog
21-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Didn't realise they'd only sold 100 tickets. I can't afford it, really, but bugger it. I'm ringing them now…

Well done. Good odds for winning.

Maddog37
21-09-2012, 05:46 PM
They are on sale until October tenth I think.

chef
21-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Membership, which is more a donation as I rarely get the chance to go to games.

Hotdog60
21-09-2012, 06:38 PM
If a raffle comes up I am usually a buyer...Bulldog for Life makes the membership thing easy but it is hard to justify when you can never actually attend a game.

This is me plus I helped with the bulldozer at the start of the year.

AndrewP6
21-09-2012, 06:42 PM
GA member, including social club. That's all, and I'm not afraid to say it. I hate those mailed out raffle tickets, they should ask before sending them out.

bulldogsman
21-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Just membership for me, I try to make it down for at least 10 games a year which I think is a fair effort in it self.

Ghost Dog
21-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Membership. Donation really as I seldom go to games as well. Buy a bit of gear. Yearly bulldoze the debt. Fundraiser at school.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 06:47 PM
GA member, including social club. That's all, and I'm not afraid to say it. I hate those mailed out raffle tickets, they should ask before sending them out.

Bit hard to ask 30,000 people?

AndrewP6
21-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Bit hard to ask 30,000 people?

An e-mail wouldn't be hard at all.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 07:44 PM
An e-mail wouldn't be hard at all.

Andrew I don't know if you have ever sold raffle tickets but its bloody hard work. What would you like in the email, permission for them to send themn to you? I guarantee more than half the suporters will not answer the emails anyway. This way they send them out and if you don't want to buy them you don't have to. I do because I know how fragile the club has been in the past.

Daughter of the West
21-09-2012, 09:23 PM
My contribution is a GA home and away membership plus social club, and I think I tipped in a minor donation toward Bulldozing the Debt. Raffle tickets go in the bin, I hate those sort of things. :mad:

I also always bought my dad a membership + social club as a birthday/ Christmas present, but he passed away in June, so that will be one less member next year.

AndrewP6
21-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Andrew I don't know if you have ever sold raffle tickets but its bloody hard work. What would you like in the email, permission for them to send themn to you? I guarantee more than half the suporters will not answer the emails anyway. This way they send them out and if you don't want to buy them you don't have to. I do because I know how fragile the club has been in the past.

Perhaps not"permission" as such, but maybe an idea of who actually is willing to sell/buy them. They'd save a lot on printing costs if they only sent them to those who actually want them.

jeemak
22-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Firstly, I waive my appearance fee. I won't divulge, but it's significant.

Other than that, I buy a home game membership and tip in a couple hundred in raffle tickets and Bulldoze the debt contributions.

bornadog
22-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Firstly, I waive my appearance fee. I won't divulge, but it's significant.

Other than that, I buy a home game membership and tip in a couple hundred in raffle tickets and Bulldoze the debt contributions.

Ok, Jeemak who are you:p

jeemak
22-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Ok, Jeemak who are you:p

Haha mate, I'm just a wanker with access to red wine and a keyboard. Take those two things away from me, and I'm nothing! :cool:

strebla
22-09-2012, 04:33 AM
I have 4 bronze seats and 3 x social club plus I get 2 pet memberships each year and that is my lot have been a member since 83. I have no idea what i have tipped into the coffers over the years but I do what I can I will get a ticket for London on Monday sounds like a great raffle!!

Scraggers
22-09-2012, 11:42 AM
My contribution is a GA home and away membership plus social club, and I think I tipped in a minor donation toward Bulldozing the Debt. Raffle tickets go in the bin, I hate those sort of things. :mad:

I also always bought my dad a membership + social club as a birthday/ Christmas present, but he passed away in June, so that will be one less member next year.

My condolences :(

Scraggers
22-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I buy an interstate membership for myself (have done for 8 years ... Bought full memberships before that). I have been a member since 1989. Like others here, this is more of a donation as I get to go to one (maybe two) games a year.

I also buy my kids memberships even though one declares to me that she is a Docker (don't worry, she's out of the will)

I sell the raffle tickets to my work colleagues ... In fact I make them buy them ... I'm the boss, you want to work here, you'll buy a raffle ticket from me.

I purchase Bulldog gear through the website ... I wish I was in a better financial position to do more.

Daughter of the West
22-09-2012, 07:20 PM
My condolences :(

Thanks Scraggers. He was in hospital a couple of weeks before the Hall of Fame, but was adamant that he would be out in time for that function. I think the doctors would have had to chain him to the bed to keep him away! Luckily, we've got lovely memories of him really enjoying that night.

Bulldog4life
23-09-2012, 12:25 PM
My wife and I have a Social Club membership each and we both buy a second membership each year. We contribute monthly to the Bulldoze The Debt and buy the usual raffle books etc. There are numerous other donations we have made over many years but after reading what I have already written it is starting to sound a bit wankerish.

LostDoggy
23-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Social Club Silver Membership. Make pre and post visits to Bulldogs Central, I have spent a lot converting my little brother into a Bulldog supporter (who now keeps telling me he's a Geelong supporter, eek!)

Eastdog
23-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm think of buying a Bulldogs membership for 2013. I was wondering how much a regular membership cost.

AndrewP6
23-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm think of buying a Bulldogs membership for 2013. I was wondering how much a regular membership cost.

http://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/

Eastdog
23-09-2012, 08:43 PM
http://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/

Thanks for that Andrew. I checked the website. Can you pay to the membership altogether in one go.

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Yes, you can pay up front or by the month. :)

I contributed last year to Bulldoze the Debt. I also have bronze reserved seat + social club membership. I figure the social club part is an annual donation as I rarely make use of it & can't see us making a grand final anytime soon. ;)

Mantis
24-09-2012, 12:32 PM
2 x Social club memberships.

I used mine 3 times, and other half went once... Not a lot of value for money this year.

KT31
24-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Previous to this season I had a Family membership with social club.
I downgraded half way through this season to an interstate family membership with a standard membership for my 16 year old.
Find it quite confounding that a 16 year old cannot be on a family membership.
Not sure how long the family mebership will last with my youngest turning 16 next year and the Lioness keeps reminding me its not much return for only attending two Canberra games in three seasons.
I still will purchase my membership when this happens.
Like most hate the raffle tickets.

mighty_west
24-09-2012, 06:05 PM
A Premiership Gold membership and usually spend a few hundred in merch at the Doggies shop each season.

Eastdog
24-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, you can pay up front or by the month. :)

I contributed last year to Bulldoze the Debt. I also have bronze reserved seat + social club membership. I figure the social club part is an annual donation as I rarely make use of it & can't see us making a grand final anytime soon. ;)

Thanks for that information.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I always have in the back of my mind that we are going to be merged or re-located if we don't make enough money so I just keep buying things

LostDoggy
25-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I buy Premiership Gold memberships for myself and my kids, but really, that's generally one of the cheapest things I buy each year. Add the merchandise, badges for the kids, new guernseys at $80-100 a pop — I only ever buy from Bulldogs Central — and all the money I spend at the football every week. I try to throw in whatever extra cash I can. I don't want to see us struggle forever. Every dollar I spend is a dollar closer to being able to cry and carry on when we win the flag.

I agree with you BAD, I do email marketing as part of my job, so I can give some good stats to back up your argument (sorry to everybody else for being slightly off-topic):

The standard average industry rate of promotional emails being read is about 20-30%. So based on that, out of approx 30,000 members, only 6,000-9,000 people would even open and read the email. The average rate of engagement (i.e. somebody clicks on something or otherwise engages with the email) is 1-3%. So 300-900 people. It's not a great base to start a raffle ticket campaign from.

Email marketing is a numbers game — it's very cheap and therefore attractive as a marketing option, but you need the volume to see real tangible results. We don't have that volume in our membership base. Couple that with the success rate of a raffle ticket campaign and you've reduced your results by an order of magnitude.

AndrewP6
25-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I buy Premiership Gold memberships for myself and my kids, but really, that's generally one of the cheapest things I buy each year. Add the merchandise, badges for the kids, new guernseys at $80-100 a pop — I only ever buy from Bulldogs Central — and all the money I spend at the football every week. I try to throw in whatever extra cash I can. I don't want to see us struggle forever. Every dollar I spend is a dollar closer to being able to cry and carry on when we win the flag.

I agree with you BAD, I do email marketing as part of my job, so I can give some good stats to back up your argument (sorry to everybody else for being slightly off-topic):

The standard average industry rate of promotional emails being read is about 20-30%. So based on that, out of approx 30,000 members, only 6,000-9,000 people would even open and read the email. The average rate of engagement (i.e. somebody clicks on something or otherwise engages with the email) is 1-3%. So 300-900 people. It's not a great base to start a raffle ticket campaign from.

Email marketing is a numbers game — it's very cheap and therefore attractive as a marketing option, but you need the volume to see real tangible results. We don't have that volume in our membership base. Couple that with the success rate of a raffle ticket campaign and you've reduced your results by an order of magnitude.
What are the stats on the number of tickets tossed in the recycling? With our clubs debt, cheap marketing should be all the rage.

firstdogonthemoon
25-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a reserved seat on level 3 and a general admin for the kid who hasn't been to a game for a few years now. Also social club for both. I didn't use it much this year at all. sad face

LostDoggy
26-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Not been a member for 3 years now. (was from 84 - 2009, social club for a chunk of that time). Got too stressful at home, started to ruin my whole weekend with the family (I get the supporter equivalent of white line fever aka turnstyle fever)

Will be joining up again next year with my son. Will suck and see how I get through the games. Will be a lot easier with limited expectations next year.

If you see St Johns Ambulance running around at Etihad during our home games, just say to yourself.."lallys here"

Ozza
27-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The old man and I get Reserved Seat memberships for Level 2 - and sit with 2 other family members. Have done since 1989. Also, a Bulldog pup membership for my 2 year old.

We buy a handful of raffle tickets and go to some functions.

Made it to 13 games this year...which is about average.

MrMahatma
27-09-2012, 11:06 PM
True. But send the email 3 or 4 times during the campaign (same message wrapped differently) and you improve your hit rate.

And does it actually need to be a physical ticket? Why can't the whole campaign be digital? Pay via PayPal. Very low cost.

Of course, the demographic of our member base may be a bit older than most (?). So perhaps we'd get a lower hit rate.

LostDoggy
28-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I have silver social club membership, sit with 10 other family members who all have the same type of membership. We have payed for social club for ever, the main reason being the guarantee of a grand final ticket if we ever get there. I also contribute to the Bulldoze The Debt, buy the whole $50 of raffle tickets (because I hate selling raffle tickets), and do not feel right sending them back. I also brought the $100 London raffle ticket, go to most club functions, these do not come cheap nowadays, spend a lot at the shop
I do all this becase I love MY club, and want it to be around for ever.

Scraggers
29-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I have silver social club membership, sit with 10 other family members who all have the same type of membership. We have payed for social club for ever, the main reason being the guarantee of a grand final ticket if we ever get there. I also contribute to the Bulldoze The Debt, buy the whole $50 of raffle tickets (because I hate selling raffle tickets), and do not feel right sending them back. I also brought the $100 London raffle ticket, go to most club functions, these do not come cheap nowadays, spend a lot at the shop
I do all this becase I love MY club, and want it to be around for ever.

:D :D :D :D

Good onya OldBulldog !!

Eastdog
23-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I just have a question about memberships. I mentioned previously I'm thinking of signing up in 2013 and was wondering with the general admission home games membership is that just access to Level 3 at Etihad or is it also Level 1 access as well.

F'scary
23-11-2012, 06:43 PM
The Silver Gumby has been a Kennel Club member for about 5 years and had home game membership for a couple of years before that. Signed on again a couple of weeks ago but this year it is not called the Kennel Club - it's something else, memory banks are failing. Bought the odd mug or baby socks from the shop at the oval.

One day, within a few seasons, you will see the Silver Gumby in the members and the social club at every home game.

AndrewP6
23-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I just have a question about memberships. I mentioned previously I'm thinking of signing up in 2013 and was wondering with the general admission home games membership is that just access to Level 3 at Etihad or is it also Level 1 access as well.

Just level 3

Eastdog
23-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Just level 3

Are you sitting with just our supporters or is it a mix of both clubs on game day.

AndrewP6
23-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Are you sitting with just our supporters or is it a mix of both clubs on game day.

Anyone, it's general admission.

Eastdog
23-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Anyone, it's general admission.

Thanks for that Andrew.

azabob
24-11-2012, 01:32 AM

You should join up Eastdog. Become part of the brotherhood! Every member counts.

Eastdog
24-11-2012, 12:27 PM
You should join up Eastdog. Become part of the brotherhood! Every member counts.

Definitely azabob. When you become a member you are putting something back into the club. For a club like us we need as many people to sign up as possible.

Eastdog
27-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Ive signed up for 2013 a couple of days getting a Home Games Only Silver Reserved Seat on Level 1. Do you reckon will get over 30,000 next season. If we were really doing well then yes I reckon we could but the way we are going probably not.

Eastdog
23-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Just a question: As a first year member who has a reserved seat on Level 1 when the time comes to renew to keep that same reserved seat how do I go about that.

bornadog
23-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Just a question: As a first year member who has a reserved seat on Level 1 when the time comes to renew to keep that same reserved seat how do I go about that.

The club will send you paperwork, but basically you keep the seat unless you ask them to move you or cancel the seat.

LostDoggy
09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Just bought a seat in the Whitten Stand, Charlie Sutton section. Five payments of $99, Fremantle and Port both winning mean it's half paid for ;-)

LostDoggy
09-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Just bought a seat in the Whitten Stand, Charlie Sutton section. Five payments of $99, Fremantle and Port both winning mean it's half paid for ;-)

Great stuff BAS.

strebla
10-09-2013, 01:01 AM

Didn't know that was an option I know what I am getting myself for x-mas
:D

Eastdog
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Good on you BAS.

LostDoggy
11-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm not a fan of this thread. It feels exclusive although I know it's not mean't to be but I just think it seperates out haves and have nots and glorifies the haves. No comment on what I contribute..

Eastdog
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm not a fan of this thread. It feels exclusive although I know it's not mean't to be but I just think it seperates out haves and have nots and glorifies the haves. No comment on what I contribute..

Yes you do make a good point Superdog. Everyone contributes something in their own way to our club the best way they can and we shouldn't judge how much people contribute because we don't know their financial situation.

LostDoggy
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't think this thread was set up for people to gloat. From my perspective, it's good to get an idea of how people contribute to the club financially outside of their everyday membership.

I have an interest in the Bulldoze the Debt campaign. I'd like to see that gone asap, and as far as I’m aware much of the non-membership financial contributions people make to the club go towards that.

e.g. I've recently bought some raffle tickets (which I don't think I’ve done before). This season my family contributed to the Bulldogs Backyard for underprivileged kids and we've also made sporadic small donations to the B.T. Debt fund when able to.

FWIW my best mate is a Bulldogs supporter. I know he can contribute by being a member as he can afford it. He chooses not to because he cracked it in the mid 00's with our lack of success. During the last 9 years that I first got a membership (and have continued to hold it) I’ve joined up my wife for the last six continuous years, we’ve also had two children and bought a home on one income for three of those years. IMO, there's plenty of Bulldogs 'supporters' out there who could help to make our club stronger - and can afford it - but choose not to because they don't see the bigger picture of strategic future success for current sacrifices.

So imo not everyone does support the club as best they can. Just like winning Premierships it takes continued sacrifice and support to achieve that goal. Anyone who can afford a membership (at the least) and chooses not to, knocks the club or players, and calls themselves a supporter is the exact opposite.

(yes there are many who can't afford to support the club financially. This is in no way knocking them, it's the band wagoners who pop up every finals campaign or so)

Letting like-minded supporters know how you support the club financially isn’t grandstanding imo.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2013, 03:32 PM
This season my family contributed to the Bulldogs Backyard for underprivileged kids and we've also made sporadic small donations to the B.T. Debt fund when able to.

Are you sure about this, I haven't seen a cent. :)

Eastdog
12-09-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't think this thread was set up for people to gloat. From my perspective, it's good to get an idea of how people contribute to the club financially outside of their everyday membership.

I have an interest in the Bulldoze the Debt campaign. I'd like to see that gone asap, and as far as I’m aware much of the non-membership financial contributions people make to the club go towards that.

e.g. I've recently bought some raffle tickets (which I don't think I’ve done before). This season my family contributed to the Bulldogs Backyard for underprivileged kids and we've also made sporadic small donations to the B.T. Debt fund when able to.

FWIW my best mate is a Bulldogs supporter. I know he can contribute by being a member as he can afford it. He chooses not to because he cracked it in the mid 00's with our lack of success. During the last 9 years that I first got a membership (and have continued to hold it) I’ve joined up my wife for the last six continuous years, we’ve also had two children and bought a home on one income for three of those years. IMO, there's plenty of Bulldogs 'supporters' out there who could help to make our club stronger - and can afford it - but choose not to because they don't see the bigger picture of strategic future success for current sacrifices.

So imo not everyone does support the club as best they can. Just like winning Premierships it takes continued sacrifice and support to achieve that goal. Anyone who can afford a membership (at the least) and chooses not to, knocks the club or players, and calls themselves a supporter is the exact opposite.

(yes there are many who can't afford to support the club financially. This is in no way knocking them, it's the band wagoners who pop up every finals campaign or so)

Letting like-minded supporters know how you support the club financially isn’t grandstanding imo.

Good response M.R.M. Interested on how much debt has been paid off. Do we still have a bit of a way to go. Hopefully will eventually be debt free which will help us massively for our football department.

strebla
18-09-2013, 05:54 PM

I see where your comming from Superdog but I think it's a good way of sharing ways of financially helping our club where we can that we didn't know about. I am able to give $99 a month for 5 month and get a seat in the stand but $500 up front is out of my reach for instance.

LostDoggy
26-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Just sent my ticket stubs back today, sold 5 tickets & bought the other 5 myself. Winning business class flights to LA would be awesome! Or second prize - the ulltimate Bulldogs experience, I'm not fussy. ;)

I also noticed that on the payment slip there is a box you can cross to opt out of future raffle tickets being sent to you.