PDA

View Full Version : Josh Toy to decide future next week after meeting with Western Bulldogs

ratsmac
23-09-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/josh-toy-to-decide-future-next-week-after-meeting-with-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226479319109
Sounds good at the right price!

boydogs
24-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Quality kid, would be a good get

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Obviously there are some question marks over the kid

But, at the right price, its worth a go

Desipura
24-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Whilst he has not reached his potential, there must be a reason Carlton, St Kilda and Hawthorn (who have a good recent record of drafting players in) are looking at him.
Buckley obviously respects the kid.

Mofra
24-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I remain unconvinced but this may be seen by the club as a lower risk-high reward type move

jeemak
24-09-2012, 11:27 AM
I suppose it fits with bringing in players when their currency is low.

At only 20-21 years of age he's still got plenty of time to develop into a player. If the club thinks he has the capacity to improve his fitness and change the way he plays then going for him without giving much away is fine with me.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I remain unconvinced but this may be seen by the club as a lower risk-high reward type move

Exactly, clearly not wanted by GC, they've offered him a 1 year deal

They've played him sparingly,

He probably knows Libba and Wallis through their Calder Cannons connections

Our team should provide opportunities

I would think his management would recognise we were a good opportunity for him

KT31
24-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Alright if it comes off, but egg on our faces (again ) if it fails.
Hope the club haven't offered to much.

bornadog
24-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Alright if it comes off, but egg on our faces (again ) if it fails.
Hope the club haven't to much.

He was one of the 17 year olds that GC picked up, so he must be highly rated. We don't know if he had much opportunity or there were things going on with him personally that effected his football.

As you say, hopefully he works out.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not thrilled about it unless he comes with our last pick or through the PSD.

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not thrilled about it unless he comes with our last pick or through the PSD.

Surely a former elite junior talent with a newfound chip on his shoulder, and two years worth of limited ground time, is worth a go?

With a slightly higher pick than that? I get the feeling we are thinking a downgraded selection

The Underdog
24-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I can see the point of bringing in a guy with talent if you feel he is potentially undervalued. However we'd need to make sure we aren't paying over the market price for him based on potential that hasn't shown up in AFL football. I think the theory of trading a super low pick or waiting for PSD is the soundest if we can get him to agree to take the chance. I'd rather take the risk of missing out on him than paying overs to make sure we get him.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Surely a former elite junior talent with a newfound chip on his shoulder, and two years worth of limited ground time, is worth a go?

With a slightly higher pick than that? I get the feeling we are thinking a downgraded selection

He was physically bigger than his junior counterparts, he doesn't have that advantage at senior level and he isn't afforded metres of space like he was in his junior days either.

Averaging 3 disposals is hardly inspiring stuff, even if he was the sub. The concerns over his endurance might be due to some rumoured heart problem, and aside from his long kicking (often to nobody) I really don't see the great appeal.

If he wasn't an 'early touted pick' a few years ago, he'd be delisted and wouldn't be given another chance. I wouldn't be impressed if we gave up a third round pick for him.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2012, 07:39 PM
He was physically bigger than his junior counterparts, he doesn't have that advantage at senior level and he isn't afforded metres of space like he was in his junior days either.

Averaging 3 disposals is hardly inspiring stuff, even if he was the sub. The concerns over his endurance might be due to some rumoured heart problem, and aside from his long kicking (often to nobody) I really don't see the great appeal.

If he wasn't an 'early touted pick' a few years ago, he'd be delisted and wouldn't be given another chance. I wouldn't be impressed if we gave up a third round pick for him.

Spot on.

I wonder what the real story is with the heart condition. If it's been something that has prevented him from training at the required level and is something that can be rectified by way of an operation or otherwise, that makes me more interested.

Remi Moses
24-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Gee, three touches a game.
Wouldn't be banging the door down personally.

G-Mo77
24-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Spot on.

I wonder what the real story is with the heart condition. If it's been something that has prevented him from training at the required level and is something that can be rectified by way of an operation or otherwise, that makes me more interested.

How did the Eagle get through it?

I'm surprised so many are just dismissing the notion of acquiring him.

MrMahatma
24-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Clayton used a valuable pick on him so must be good... (can I add :rolleyes: on iPhone?)

Mofra
24-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Spot on.

Hayes had post season surgery on a heart condition as well.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2012, 11:07 PM
How did the Eagle get through it?

I'm surprised so many are just dismissing the notion of acquiring him.

I may be wrong, but I believe he had an operation to correct the issue. Without actually knowing anything about Toy and if he may have a condition, and if so what the implications are, it's hard to speculate.

Rumours at this time of year are dangerous to read into.

westdog54
25-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe he had an operation to correct the issue. Without actually knowing anything about Toy and if he may have a condition, and if so what the implications are, it's hard to speculate.

Rumours at this time of year are dangerous to read into.

You are correct. He had surgery to correct the defect after he had an episode during a match and passed out on the field.

bornadog
25-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Gee, three touches a game.
Wouldn't be banging the door down personally.

He averaged 12 disposals a game last year. He may have been the sub a few times this year so his stats are way way way down. He only played 5 games this year, and 8 last year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-09-2012, 03:40 PM
He averaged 12 disposals a game last year. He may have been the sub a few times this year so his stats are way way way down. He only played 5 games this year, and 8 last year.
A big risk when we desperately need a more experienced mature body in the midfield.
Wallis, Liberatore and Smith are our future but we need to look at somehow attracting a seasoned player like the Swans managed to do with Josh Kennedy or Hawthorn with Shaun Burgoyne. These recruiting moves become the icing on the cake.

Topdog
25-09-2012, 04:19 PM
We need a young defender too though!

Mofra
25-09-2012, 04:23 PM
A big risk when we desperately need a more experienced mature body in the midfield.
Regaining Cross from injury will help

bornadog
25-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Wallis, Liberatore and Smith are our future but we need to look at somehow attracting a seasoned player like the Swans managed to do with Josh Kennedy or Hawthorn with Shaun Burgoyne. These recruiting moves become the icing on the cake.

Considering the coach said we will only look at a young player who has competed 18 to 20 months at another club, you can forget a Josh Kennedy type.

The Underdog
25-09-2012, 05:39 PM

The Swans were able to recruit Kennedy because Hawthorn wanted Burgoyne. If Burgoyne had of gone somewhere else then they would have been able financially to retain Kennedy.
Admittedly the Swans targetted Kennedy and he was looking for opportunities but sometimes other things have to happen for a player to be available to make you look like a recruiting genius.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Considering the coach said we will only look at a young player who has competed 18 to 20 months at another club, you can forget a Josh Kennedy type.

Another year like 2012 and BMcC may well be forced to change his mind. Our current list is probably our weakest in the past 50 years.Our best players apart from Dahlhaus probably only have one or two seasons left, which is going to leave us light on for experienced hardened bodies.

boydogs
25-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Considering the coach said we will only look at a young player who has competed 18 to 20 months at another club

Very specific!

Toy fits the mould though.

AndrewP6
25-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Another year like 2012 and BMcC may well be forced to change his mind. Our current list is probably our weakest in the past 50 years.Our best players apart from Dahlhaus probably only have one or two seasons left, which is going to leave us light on for experienced hardened bodies.

Another year??? Oh the horror...

Topdog
26-09-2012, 03:24 AM

Josh Kennedy had played 2 seasons with the Hawks when the Swans got him. I know he looks 30 but he is actually a young player