PDA

View Full Version : 2012 AFL Grand Final Thread

Eastdog
26-09-2012, 10:39 AM
We are coming up to the last Saturday in September Grand Final day. We will be here one day.

Hawthorn v Sydney MCG 2:30pm AEST

DragzLS1
26-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Grand final.. BRING ON 2016!! Im convinced we will make it by then haha

Think the Hawks will be over rated and Sydney are in with a sneaky chance if the game is low scoring

Eastdog
26-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Grand final.. BRING ON 2016!! Im convinced we will make it by then haha

Think the Hawks will be over rated and Sydney are in with a sneaky chance if the game is low scoring

Agree DragzLS1. The Swans are a real chance this weekend and will not make it easy for the Hawks. Adelaide nearly got them last week and if Hawthorn are inaccurate again that might cost them this time round. Geelong in the 08 GF were very inaccurate in front of goal and it cost them.

DragzLS1
27-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Agree DragzLS1. The Swans are a real chance this weekend and will not make it easy for the Hawks. Adelaide nearly got them last week and if Hawthorn are inaccurate again that might cost them this time round. Geelong in the 08 GF were very inaccurate in front of goal and it cost them.

Definately. Sydney will take there chances and if hawks arnt careful it will be another replay of both Geelong games they had this year :p on the siren, 50 our slotted by lets say Kennedy just to burn them more.. 1 point win to teh swans lol it would be soo cruel but enjoyable at the same time..

On another note, Liam Picken to win the Grand Final 100m sprint! Go Picken! Just dont do your hammy like last time :s

Remi Moses
27-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Just like Sydney's midfield spread better than Hawthorn.
If Sydney had another big forward you'd be worried from a Hawk perspective.

bornadog
27-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Just like Sydney's midfield spread better than Hawthorn.
If Sydney had another big forward you'd be worried from a Hawk perspective.

Hawks will find it hard to match up on Goodes, plus they have LRT and Reid.

Hawks biggest issue is the backline. Cloke kicked six in the qualifying final and Tippet and Tex had 4 each last week.

I think the Swans will win this one by less than 20 points.

The Pie Man
27-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Thinking this will be close - wondering what impact the weather will have...if it does rain, I've got no doubt Sydney will handle it ok. Can't remember Hawthorn playing in the wet this year (I'm sure it has happened, just can't recall) while Sydney killed us up there earlier this year on such a day (maybe not the best guage I'll concede :o)

Still think Hawthorn, but not by much - and won't be surprised at all is Sydney can pull this off.

immortalmike
27-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I think this year's Grand Final mirrors 2007 quite nicely. Hawks are so far ahead of the pack (much like 07 Geelong) and just got a nice old scare in the prelim (just like 07 Geelong). Could get ugly...Although for the game's and entertainment's sake I hope not.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2012, 06:44 PM
The Peoples Beard will be representing Brisbane in the 100 metre sprint!

Liam Picken for us.

Remi Moses
27-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Hawks will find it hard to match up on Goodes, plus they have LRT and Reid.

Hawks biggest issue is the backline. Cloke kicked six in the qualifying final and Tippet and Tex had 4 each last week.

I think the Swans will win this one by less than 20 points.

Schoenmakers plays well on the more light bodied forwards.
Reid's struggled this season , but LRT gets off the leash on occasions.

Sedat
27-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I think this year's Grand Final mirrors 2007 quite nicely. Hawks are so far ahead of the pack (much like 07 Geelong) and just got a nice old scare in the prelim (just like 07 Geelong). Could get ugly...
Everybody has been referencing the 2007 formline to justify Hawthorn's favouritism for the GF. But since then (except for the drawn GF in 2010), there has been a tough struggle PF and an easier PF, with the winner of the easier PF going on to win the following week.

Geelong in '08, St Kilda in '09, Collingwood in '11 - all of them hot favourites for the season, all of them had a torrid PF and all of them lost the week after despite being hot favourites in the big one. I really like Sydney this week - they are playing the better footy and they have the midfield depth to blunt Hawthorn's attacking drive.

azabob
27-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Everybody has been referencing the 2007 formline to justify Hawthorn's favouritism for the GF. But since then (except for the drawn GF in 2010), there has been a tough struggle PF and an easier PF, with the winner of the easier PF going on to win the following week.

Geelong in '08, St Kilda in '09, Collingwood in '11 - all of them hot favourites for the season, all of them had a torrid PF and all of them lost the week after despite being hot favourites in the big one. I really like Sydney this week - they are playing the better footy and they have the midfield depth to blunt Hawthorn's attacking drive.

Great points Sedat.

How much will the weather impact the game, especially if it does hail and rain during the game, I tend to think this will help Sydney more.

(Or that could just be me hoping and preying Swans get across the line)

Go_Dogs
29-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Looking forward to the game today.

Having a look at the weather online, looks like a strong chance of rain today which should play into Sydney's favour somewhat. Expecting a close game, tipping Hawks by 13 points with Burgoyne first goal.

Greystache
29-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Looking forward to the game today.

Having a look at the weather online, looks like a strong chance of rain today which should play into Sydney's favour somewhat. Expecting a close game, tipping Hawks by 13 points with Burgoyne first goal.

I hope it does, but the bad weather would want to hurry up, it's a beautiful morning in Melbourne without a cloud in the sky. If it weren't for the weather reports people would be talking about what a perfect day it is for a grand final.

LongWait
29-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I hope it does, but the bad weather would want to hurry up, it's a beautiful morning in Melbourne without a cloud in the sky. If it weren't for the weather reports people would be talking about what a perfect day it is for a grand final.

Do you think that good or bad weather suits favours either side 'Stache?

I think that these are the two sides in the competition best equiped for a wet day and so rain will not favour either side, but a fine and windless day will suit Hawthorn because of their superior foot skills. That being said, I have a suspicion that Sydney will win regardless because they play for each other better than any side in the competition and have a game plan which should stand up to the pressure of a Grand Final better than Hawthorns'.

Greystache
29-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Do you think that good or bad weather suits favours either side 'Stache?

I think that these are the two sides in the competition best equiped for a wet day and so rain will not favour either side, but a fine and windless day will suit Hawthorn because of their superior foot skills. That being said, I have a suspicion that Sydney will win regardless because they play for each other better than any side in the competition and have a game plan which should stand up to the pressure of a Grand Final better than Hawthorns'.

I think wet weather helps Sydney.

Pretty much as you've said LW, the wet reduces Hawthorn's ability to cut Sydney up with foot skills, and despite being renouned for a hard edged approach and having some tough ball winners, Hawthorn have actually been beaten a few times around the contest recently. That's one area Sydney have the edge, and wet weather generally means more contests which adds to Sydney's likely advantage.

bulldogsman
29-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Hoping for a Sydney win and agree wet weather footy should suit Sydney more. Mumford is a gun in wet weather footy, my tip for the Norm Smith.

First goal, Goodes.

westdog54
29-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Hoping for a Sydney win and agree wet weather footy should suit Sydney more. Mumford is a gun in wet weather footy, my tip for the Norm Smith.

First goal, Goodes.

I can remember in the lead up to our semi against Brisbane a couple of years ago, my brother and I were listening to the radio on the way in and it was debated whether or not the weather would be to Brisbane's advantage by reducing the skill level.

Then dermie goes on with a diatribe about how 'the more skilled team will still be more skilled in bad conditions'. We still laugh about it to this day.

I suppose you just had to be there but I'm tipping Sydney by 2 goals and I've got a tenner on Lewis Jetta to kick the first goal.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 12:38 PM
My 2nd cousin is having is wedding today - of all days in Preston (Church) and Thomastown (Reception). The wet weather will certainly help the smaller players more than the tall. Buddy Franklin may struggle in the GF if its wet. The game I reckon will be a very good contest. I going for the Hawks to win but would not be surprised if the Swans win it. The rain is really coming down now and it is icy cold only 10 degrees.

azabob
29-09-2012, 12:48 PM
My 2nd cousin is having is wedding today - of all days. The wet weather will certainly help the smaller players more than the tall. Buddy Franklin may struggle in the GF if its wet. The game I reckon will be a very good contest. I going for the Hawks to win but would not be surprised if the Swans win it. The rain is really coming down now and it is icy cold only 10 degrees.

2nd cousin? I don't even know my 2nd cousin!

Where is it raining? Im in the inner north of Melbourne and no rain yet.

LongWait
29-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I hope no-one minds my quoting a grand final joke told by Butane on that other (less good!) footy website:

A bloke was at a packed MCG watching the GF and really enjoying the game. At half time the bloke behind him leans over and says " 'scuse me mate but I couldn't help notice the seat beside you is empty. Why is that? People are paying thousands for a seat."

"Oh", says the first bloke "it was for my wife of 40 years ... she passed away not so long ago"

"I'm terribly sorry to hear that", says the 2nd bloke, "but couldn't you just give it to a mate?"

"Naah, not really, they're all at the funeral."

Greystache
29-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Still clear here in the city, but the clouds are rolling in.

westdog54
29-09-2012, 12:56 PM

The radar has a bloody big rain band coming over Geelong on its way to the city according to 7's coverage.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 01:10 PM

I know him but I wouldn't say we are that close. It was raining at the MCG and then started raining a bit my way in the East of Melbourne. It's stopped now.

Greystache
29-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Grand Final sprint about to start, with Huddo running it's disapointing Daniel Cross is injured. Those two side by side would be an epic event.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Liam Picken is there for us.

Greystache
29-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Channel 7 reporting Mumford hurt a hamstring at training on Thursday and will have a fitness test just before the bounce but is in serious doubt to play.

azabob
29-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Channel 7 reporting Mumford hurt a hamstring at training on Thursday and will have a fitness test just before the bounce but is in serious doubt to play.

If true, that is a massive blow. Hopefully 7 are full of it like normal.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 01:35 PM
If true, that is a massive blow. Hopefully 7 are full of it like normal.

Will Bruce be commentating.

G-Mo77
29-09-2012, 01:36 PM
After the last 5 or 6 years I discovered that I'm no longer an AFL fan I'm just a Western Bulldogs fan. I really don't care about the game today and haven't done for a while now. Having a few beers with mates is the best thing about GF day.

Greystache
29-09-2012, 01:46 PM
7 also reporting Jude Bolton's knee is a lot worse than initially reported, he has more than a 50% tear in his ACL and damage also to the PCL. It has the potential to give way at any stage and will require a reconstruction.

You have to admire Jude Bolton- Plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Grand Final Sprit Final about to start.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Grand final underway. It has been a good start. a goal apiece.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 04:03 PM
All over ;)
I missed the last 3 goals.
Is it just me or was Hale giving Mumford a bath?

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 04:06 PM
All over ;)

They look a bit better Hawthorn. Still another 3 quarters to go but if Hawthorn kick away a bit now Sydney will be gone. Great passage of play from Jetta in that qtr in taking on those Hawks players.

MrMahatma
29-09-2012, 04:06 PM
All over ;)
Hale has been good. Hawks mids immense. They've got some very good smalls.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Swans have responded and are a point behind.

BulldogBelle
29-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Sewell reminds me of Mitch Hahn so much sometimes!

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Half Time and the Swans have a handy 16 point lead. If the rain starts up that will hurt Hawthorn's kicking game and goals will become much more valuable.

Sedat
29-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Alex Johnson playing a massive game down back for Sydney. They killed Hawthorn on the spread in that qtr.

bornadog
29-09-2012, 04:45 PM
How was the stupid deliberate out of bounds, fair dinkum, the AFL needs to get serious about these Mickey mouse interpretations of the rules.

Loved the run by Jetta in the first, Rioli had no hope of catching up.

Hawthorn looked second rate in the second quarter.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Hawthorn looked second rate in the second quarter.

That was truly brilliant to watch. Jetta is close to the most exciting player in the AFL, if he isn't already.

Morton snagged two nice goals - nice to see a 'lower ranked' player step up on the big stage. It would have been an easy decision not to play him, let alone start him, but credit to the Swans and him.

I really enjoyed the first half of footy. Swans up by 16 but they're going to need every bit of that with Richards/Goodes/Mumford struggling a little.

Goodes' injury could be a huge blow - he was BOG in terms of effectiveness for mine.

chef
29-09-2012, 04:53 PM
That was a hell of a lot better than meatloaf or the usual crap they serve up at half time.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 04:54 PM
That was a hell of a lot better than meatloaf.

I could have done better than Meatloaf.

Mantis
29-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Half Time and the Swans have a handy 16 point lead. If the rain starts up that will hurt Hawthorn's kicking game and goals will become much more valuable.

Are goals kicked on the rain worth more than 6 points?

Only kidding...

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Only kidding...

Obviously still worth 6 points but they are a lot harder to come by.

Mantis
29-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Every time Jetta touches the ball something good happens.

His field kicking and vision are elite.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:10 PM
The Swans are really putting heaps of pressure on the Hawks. They have a very organised defence and they are starting to open them up.

chef
29-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Mitch Morton must be pinching himself.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Now 2 points. Good game so far.
Some amazing goals by Franklin

Edit now hawks by 4

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Hawks are back now because at one stage it looked like the Swans were going to run away with it. If the Hawks win you won't hear the end of it.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Only kidding...

The last Franklin was worth a super goal. From 70.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Swans by a point at the last change of the season. Everything to play for now. Hawthorn came at them in that qtr. Swans steadied a little but both teams will have to put in a big effort to win. Who wants it more.

bornadog
29-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Why the hell is this game not broadcast in HD? Channel 7 you are a disgrace.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Why the hell is this game not broadcast in HD? Channel 7 you are a disgrace.

That is not very good at all. Channel 7's coverage will cop a lot of criticism.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Sydney's tackling has been good but the Hawks now are really getting on top. Bruce is so pro-Hawthorn its not funny.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Scores level. We could be back next week.

Mantis
29-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Hawthorn are getting a dream run with the umps, 20-9 at present.

Shocker by Young...

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Move of the day subbing Mumford.

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I can't believe I am preparing to go to a wedding tonight. What a game.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Teliban win

Eastdog
29-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Well done to the Sydney Swans. Bulldogs 2013 fingers crossed.

DOG GOD
29-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Great win by Sydney....hard, tough, accountable and workman like.

We can only dream to be at that level.

Sedat
29-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Sydney are a sensational team

Mantis
29-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Yep just a great team.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Is the coach part of the team? If he had left Mumford on, they would of lost.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Looking at it closer. The Mumford sub was probably a no brainer. Take off your slowest and probably worst for the day with only 6 possessions for over 3 qtr.
While Hale was excellent, Pike was very good too.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Arguably the best grand final ever.

I respected Sydney before this as everyone else did, but that has just gone up ten fold. What an incredible team.

LostDoggy
29-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Who was The Mark Athorn medallist? Puopulo, Mumford, Stratton or other?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Roughead.

azabob
29-09-2012, 08:14 PM

I respected Sydney before this as everyone else did, but that has just gone up ten fold. What an incredible team.

Well summarized and said.

Chris Grant said something along the lines Sydney is the team you'd love to play for other than your own team, and as a supporter I'd say the same thing.

Sedat
29-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Clinton Young gets it for mine - that howler in the defensive goal square sealed it for him. Also for such a revered impact player, Rioli had bugger-all impact from his 14 possessions. Nick Smith absolutely took him to the cleaners - best small defender in the competition, and he could walk Bourke St unnoticed.

Sedat
29-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Is the coach part of the team? If he had left Mumford on, they would of lost.
My word he is. Some of his positional moves on the Hawk rebound defenders were first rate. Birchall and Suckling were ineffective save for that 10 minute patch in the 3rd qtr. and Longmire's decision to take Mumford off was ballsy to say the least. Hale was having a big influence and to put his faith in a 100% fit Pyke to ruck out the final 25 minutes was a very brave call. And it delivered in spades because Sydney ran out the game stronger and Pyke was able to nullify Hale and Roughy at the stoppages in the last qtr.

comrade
29-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Mike Pyke has a premiership medal, Chris Grant doesn't.

Life is cruel. :(

NoParkingOnMatchDays
29-09-2012, 09:07 PM
How disgraceful was that coverage. Not only was it not in HD but they continually cut away to shots of the crowd as soon as a goal was kicked. I want to see what is on the ground not some peanut who got a ticket jumping around.

When Malceski sealed a grand final did we see the players celebrate - no we saw a couple of people on a pier jumping around. When the siren went did we see the players In their finest moment - no why would we want to see that. Show the people on the pier again or some bloke in the crowd holding a sign up.

Absolutley loved when At 6 pm the moment the players finished singing the song we were told to switch to 7 mate only to find the coverage had jumped forward 5 minutes and the players had left the room.

It would never happen in the Nfl or Nba or epl for that matter. The Afl always claimed that the grand final is watched by an audience of 25000 billion people. I reckon 99% of them would have thought they were watching a YouTube clip put together by a work experience kid
who got a new computer and some freeware video editing software for their birthday.

comrade
29-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I find it hard to sympathise with the Hawks fans shown blubbering after the game and think to myself:

"STOP CRYING, YOU WON A FLAG 4 YEARS AGO! SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE BULLDOGS FAN BORN IN 1955! SCHADENFREUDE ROCKS!"

Sedat
29-09-2012, 09:46 PM

I appreciate your sentiment but I reckon Pyke deserves his premiership medal far more than Greg Madigan, Ben Marsh, Aaron Keating, Nathan Ablett, Aaron Shattock, Shannon Motlop, Shane Clayton, Paul Hills, etc..

Remi Moses
29-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Well Hawthorn have a history of merging after only 5 years without a flag
Sydney's tackling 11th highest ever recorded!
Hawks kicking couldn't stand up under intense pressure.
Ryan O'keefe looked spent 12 months ago, I thought Hanneberry was sensational.
Credit to Sydney with guys like Morton and Pike terrific.( great coaching making Pike a credible player)Apparently Bolton had an ACL injury, so one brave effort.
Tackling and pressure won Sydney this flag.Hawks have to few do the heavy lifting.
Clinton Young the Athorn for mine, and that effort in the goal square resembled a 60 y/0 trying to pick the ball up.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Longmire's decision to take Mumford off was ballsy to say the least. Hale was having a big influence and to put his faith in a 100% fit Pyke to ruck out the final 25 minutes was a very brave call. And it delivered in spades because Sydney ran out the game stronger and Pyke was able to nullify Hale and Roughy at the stoppages in the last qtr.

To be honest, I thought this was an easy call.

Mumford was struggling whilst Pyke was playing and competing really well. Swans were desperate for some run, so replacing an injured lumbering tall was very clear cut.

Ballsy was to play Morton - and that definitely paid off!

KT31
30-09-2012, 12:09 AM

Better than 54 ?:eek:

Dry Rot
30-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Goodes played on with a torn PCL - gutsy effort.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148845/default.aspx

Remi Moses
30-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I liked 89 personally.
But had to have had the most momentum swings in GF history this one.

LostDoggy
30-09-2012, 08:52 AM

The Swans since moving to Sydney have twice as many grand final appearances and twice as many premierships than the dogs.
Life is cruel.

WC 5 GFs 3 flags, Brisbane 4 & 3, Adelaide 2 & 2, even Port snuck one in the last 10yrs.
Life is cruel.

.......maybe it's not 'life' but being associated with the Western Bulldogs is cruel?

Desipura
30-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Clay Smith is the type of player who would thrive playing in a grand final, nice and hard style footy. I hope he gets to play in at least one with us.

LostDoggy
30-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Have to disagree on few views here.
A team of Clay Smith types who have great endeavor but can't kick will get us no where.
A balance of highly pace, skilled and hard at it types will go further.
Even Sydney has a few outside types.
Lewis Jetta and Mitch Morton do their roles well but I wouldn't call them courageous types.
Mummy was weak as pee yesterday.
Martin Pike before yesterday would jave struggled to get a game in many sides.

One other thing about the frees, I never at one stage thought the Swans were being hard done by.
It was the Swans that benefitted from an obvious non holding the ball against LRT in the second and goaled.
In the Jack goal, Young was weak and should never have gone to ground but Jack hands helped him a little. Sometimes given sometimes not.

Mantis
30-09-2012, 01:22 PM

How was he as weak as piss? He was quite obviously playing injured and his performance suffered.

LostDoggy
30-09-2012, 01:56 PM
How was he as weak as piss? He was quite obviously playing injured and his performance suffered.

His ruck efforts were poor, his man who I wouldnt class as that good beat him in the air,ran off him and kicked goals. Only 6 possessions and beaten in the taps. Who knew he has injured at the time? Obvious afterwards. I bet there were others carrying injuries but played way better.

AndrewP6
30-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Mike Pyke?

AndrewP6
30-09-2012, 02:09 PM
His ruck efforts were poor, his man who I wouldnt class as that good beat him in the air,ran off him and kicked goals. Only 6 possessions and beaten in the taps. Who knew he has injured at the time? Obvious afterwards. I bet there were others carrying injuries but played way better.

Mumford had a sore hammy going in.

Remi Moses
30-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Mumford was clearly hampered by a hammy.
Pike's been well coached and has improved markedly.

Sockeye Salmon
30-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Jude Bolton had a leg amputated during the week and Adam Goodes had the vet come out with a screen at one point

Mantis
30-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Not sure what you were doing, but all the talk pre-game was that he was doubtful to even play.

Any way terrible choice of words on your behalf - played poorly, but he wasn't as weak as piss.

Desipura
30-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Have to disagree on few views here.
A team of Clay Smith types who have great endeavor but can't kick will get us no where.
A balance of highly pace, skilled and hard at it types will go further.
Even Sydney has a few outside types.
Lewis Jetta and Mitch Morton do their roles well but I wouldn't call them courageous types.

One other thing about the frees, I never at one stage thought the Swans were being hard done by.
It was the Swans that benefitted from an obvious non holding the ball against LRT in the second and goaled.
In the Jack goal, Young was weak and should never have gone to ground but Jack hands helped him a little. Sometimes given sometimes not.

If you are going to continue to respond to my posts ( I have been told to ignore yours and rightfully so).

However on this occasion, I have to respond. Don't misquote me to suit your argument. I said ClayvSmith would thrive in a grand final as the game is generally hard, I did not say anything about a team full of Clay Smiths would win us a grand final. A team full of Robert Murphys would not get us anywhere either, it's a ridiculous comment to make, it's blatantly obvious you need all sorts of players inside/outside types.

Sockeye Salmon
30-09-2012, 10:38 PM
it's blatantly obvious you need all sorts of players inside/outside types.

Not to Brendon McCartney

GVGjr
30-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Not to Brendon McCartney

Are you are basing this assumption on one season and possibly one player despite our interest in acquiring Martin this year?

LostDoggy
01-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Sorry desipura you seem to be a bit confused. I didn't respond to your post alone and not sure how i can misquote you without quoting you at all.
As SS mentioned it seems be the way McCartney wants to go.

Go_Dogs
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Let's move on.

jeemak
02-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Not to Brendon McCartney

Will be interesting to see how we work our way through this post season trade and draft period, won't it?

I'm not sure I've seen evidence of McCartney stacking the list with Clay Smith types, orther than bringing Clay Smith on to the list but it's clear he has some non-negotiables he believes players should exhibit to get a game. Whilst we have inside midfielders like Wallis and Liberatore coming through, it's only logical we need to bolster our inside stocks in lieu of Boyd and Cross reaching the end of their careers at the same time those previously mentioned will be in a position to take leading midfield roles, assuming they don't suffer injuries along the way or find themselves out of form or out of favour due to off-field issues.

So far I've seen Sherman, Jones, Grant and Veszpremi struggle for a game as a result of those non-negotiables amongst other issues, though I've seen players like Pearce, Johannisen, Jong and Skinner get games under him as well.

If you want to tell me there's a pattern emerging in McCartney at this early stage then you're much more insightful than I, and I'd be grateful if you could throw me a bone and explain how he's shown himself to be one dimensional in his selection and drafting policy after just one year.

Desipura
02-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Sorry desipura you seem to be a bit confused. I didn't respond to your post alone and not sure how i can misquote you without quoting you at all.
As SS mentioned it seems be the way McCartney wants to go.

So you did not respond to my post ALONE. So you only responded to my Clay Smith comment.
This means you can misquote me, which you did. I am not the one confused.
SS has again made a comment without any facts to prove his argument, this is no surprise. I thought you would agree with him.

comrade
02-10-2012, 08:18 AM
So you did not respond to my post ALONE. So you only responded to my Clay Smith comment.
This means you can misquote me, which you did. I am not the one confused.
SS has again made a comment without any facts to prove his argument, this is no surprise. I thought you would agree with him.

Another thread derailed.

Eastdog
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM

South Melbourne/Sydney have historically been not that successful a bit like us and we should try and strive to be like them. They have a very good culture down there and are a very well run club and they somehow seem to do well with the recycled players where other clubs have failed.

AndrewP6
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
South Melbourne/Sydney have historically been not that successful a bit like us and we should try and strive to be like them. They have a very good culture down there and are a very well run club and they somehow seem to do well with the recycled players where other clubs have failed.

Up there?

azabob
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Up there?

Depends, he could mean South Melbourne? ;)

Eastdog
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Up there?

Your right Andrew. From our point of view up there. From there point of view down there. I believe Sydney have the longest serving President a bit longer that David Smorgon.

bornadog
02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Amazed to read the Hawks had 11 first round picks in their team. Now that's recruiting, even though they lost they were still playing in a Granny.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Amazed to read the Hawks had 11 first round picks in their team. Now that's recruiting, even though they lost they were still playing in a Granny.

The Swans were worthy winners but Hawthorn with 62 times in the fwd 50 to only 41 by Sydney would indicate they blew it. The Hawks ability like Sydney to pick up proven players from other AFL Clubs has also been excellent.

LongWait
03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
The Swans were worthy winners but Hawthorn with 62 times in the fwd 50 to only 41 by Sydney would indicate they blew it. The Hawks ability like Sydney to pick up proven players from other AFL Clubs has also been excellent.

When the much vaunted Hawthorn kicking efficiency went to shit, Hawthorn struggled to score.