PDA

View Full Version : Knee Ligaments Vs Broken Legs

LostDoggy
28-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Is it worse these days to break a leg than it is to do an ACL?
Talking about getting back to how you were?
Is there any difference between sports as well?

The Coon Dog
28-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I reckon it would depend on the nature of the break & just exactly where in the leg the break occurred.

Nathan Brown still hasn't recovered, yet Michael Voss did.

Wouldn't help if the player had brittle bones either.

Go_Dogs
28-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Didn't Minson break his leg in 2006 too?

I think a broken leg would be the 'better' option, as it seems that the recovery rate is much better for standard breaks. Obviously there are freak cases in both columns, Brown's leg break, Hentschel's knee, which are flat out horrible and extremely difficult to ever recover from.

macca028
28-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I have broken my leg playing football and ruptured my acl in seperate incidents. Both happened as i was tackled and both were caused by my leg going the other direction to the weight of my body.

Its been about 6 years since i broke my leg but i think when i broke my leg,i was on crutches for 6 weeks and then went into physio. I think my recovery time was quicker and i played football the following year. One difference being that my leg was just pushed into its correct alignment and plastered whereas i had an operation on my knee to fix it.

I did my acl a year and a half ago and was only on crutches for 3 weeks but the recovery was longer as i did not play football the following season. It takes a lot longer to get confidence back into your knee after a reco than it does in your leg after a break.

I would say that i would have rathered my broken leg to my torn acl.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Really depends on the seriousness of the broken leg

I had a very minor break in my leg in 2001, and it only set me back 10 weeks - whereas an acl would have been a year on part time rehab

macca028
28-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Thats correct, because i would rather tear an acl then break a leg like maguire or brown did.

LostDoggy
28-09-2007, 05:12 PM
As anyone ever heard of a player breaking their thigh bone? (dont know the technical term)

That would be pretty servre, i doubt they would come back from that.

macca028
28-09-2007, 05:21 PM
the thigh bone is the femur i think

dog town
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
As anyone ever heard of a player breaking their thigh bone? (dont know the technical term)

That would be pretty servre, i doubt they would come back from that. Its called a femur. Saw it happen to someone about 3 years ago and the screams from the guy still haunt me. Couldn't think of anything worse.

LostDoggy
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Playing soccer game our centre forward went in with a tackle on the keeper and broke his leg. I was at the other end of the ground but still heard a loud crack sound. Sickening.

Twodogs
02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Playing soccer game our centre forward went in with a tackle on the keeper and broke his leg. I was at the other end of the ground but still heard a loud crack sound. Sickening.

I heard Modra's knee pop in the '97 PM. I was about three rows back behind the goal square.

westdog54
02-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I heard Modra's knee pop in the '97 PM. I was about three rows back behind the goal square.

Opposition player or not, that would make me sick to my stomach.

The Coon Dog
02-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Not as sick as the rest of us when Jarman went to full forward!

MrMahatma
05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
And like the rest of us, I bet you thought 'ahhh, how are they going to kick goals now??'

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Not as sick as the rest of us when Jarman went to full forward!

A friend was telling me the final six minutes of that game are on youtube - I personally could not bring myself to watch it

Twodogs
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM

Yeah it was awful.

katemeehan
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I know one thing for sure, dislocated knees are terrible.
I thought I was going to vomit when I saw Griffs dislocation this year. Not many people saw the badness of it, but I dislocated my knee last year and I feel so sick every time I think about it.
Griff handled it pretty well, cause when I did mine... I know a few young onlookers learnt plenty of new words.