PDA

View Full Version : Our Salary Cap

gohardorgohome
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know how we stand with our Salary Cap for next year? Now that Gilbee and Shaggy have retired. I would think that Lake and Boyd would qualify for veterans list.

That makes me think that the following guys would be on reasonable coin.

Cooney - probably on overs based on last year's injury.
Griffen
Cross
Gia - probably on overs based on last year's form.
Morris - probably on overs based on last year's injury
Higgins - probably on overs based on last year's form.
Minson
Murphy
Sherman - probably on overs based on last year's form.

One would think there must be enough room for our club to target a decent free agent over the next few weeks.

Eastdog
03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know how we stand with our Salary Cap for next year? Now that Gilbee and Shaggy have retired. I would think that Lake and Boyd would qualify for veterans list.

That makes me think that the following guys would be on reasonable coin.

Cooney - probably on overs based on last year's injury.
Griffen
Cross
Gia - probably on overs based on last year's form.
Morris - probably on overs based on last year's injury
Higgins - probably on overs based on last year's form.
Minson
Murphy
Sherman - probably on overs based on last year's form.

One would think there must be enough room for our club to target a decent free agent over the next few weeks.

I'd say we definitely would have more room in which we could secure a player in this free agency period. Some people say that it will hurt smaller clubs like us but I think it won't as we have the salary cap. The EPL is different in that you now need a businessman with a lot of money to lure the best players and the EPL doesn't have a salary cap.

Sockeye Salmon
04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
The veterans list rules have changed.

You no longer have to be 30, just be at the club for 10 years. Will Minson qualifies.

Murphy, Gia, Boyd, Lake, Minson & Cross all qualify.

It's not half their salary anymore though. It's about $112K per player that's not counted.

LostDoggy
04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I think we should concerntrate on this year on getting a few more young guns if possible. Save the cash for season 2014 where we hopefully should be looking to make a charge into the top 8 again, and go for some mid aged guns who are available

ReLoad
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
You cant "save cash" you must pay a minimum percentage of the salary cap, what you can do however, and what I believe the club is doing in some instances, is banking some of thank by front loading contracts.

A good example is Luke Dahlhouse, whose contract extension is for a boat load of cash which makes his next contracts cheaper, it allows you retain your stars without paying overs for it later on.

Given the upcoming end of some careers we are going to be well placed salary cap wise to either pick up players when we need them or hang onto any up and coming superstars we may unearth.

Right now, in 2013 and 2014 we do not need to be spending money on getting in recycled players, developing our own, or bringing in 20-22 year olds is a much better long term strategy.

LostDoggy
04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I wasn't meaning literally "save cash" , but not put money into an established 'gun' so to speak next year where imo won't really do much for us next season or possibly even the season after

Eastdog
04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Recycled players is a tough one because it could be either good or bad. Sydney is a prime example of recycled players working well and they got the premiership. These players had roles in the Sydney team and they play for each other.

LostDoggy
08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
With Lake leaving, this obviously frees up 500-600k a season..

Also with Sherman all but gone next year, there's another 400k.

So what's the plan? Do we front end a heap of contracts this year and next. Then 2/3 years down the track when we are building towards finals make a big play for a proven superstar?

Or do we go after a Dawes this year?

I'm struggling to see how we are going to pay 90% of the salary cap next year.. Surely we were already close to that mark before losing Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee ect

G-Mo77
08-10-2012, 09:33 PM
With Lake leaving, this obviously frees up 500-600k a season..

Also with Sherman all but gone next year, there's another 400k.

So what's the plan? Do we front end a heap of contracts this year and next. Then 2/3 years down the track when we are building towards finals make a big play for a proven superstar?

Or do we go after a Dawes this year?

I'm struggling to see how we are going to pay 90% of the salary cap next year.. Surely we were already close to that mark before losing Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee ect

If trading Lake out means we have to have Sherman another year to get to the 90% I'll throw up anything I had left after today. :)

bornadog
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
If trading Lake out means we have to have Sherman another year to get to the 90% I'll throw up anything I had left after today. :)

Prepare yourself:D

My gut feel is we are using him as trade bait.

Eastdog
08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I heard Sydney today have a larger salary cap than other clubs. Why do you think this is?

GVGjr
08-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I heard Sydney today have a larger salary cap than other clubs. Why do you think this is?

It's supposed to be for the cost of living in Sydney compared to other cities.
The AFL needs to look at this again and make sure it's distributed primarily to those under the league average salary not to acquire players.

Eastdog
08-10-2012, 09:57 PM
It's supposed to be for the cost of living in Sydney compared to other cities.
The AFL needs to look at this again and make sure it's distributed primarily to those under the league average salary not to acquire players.

They are going for Tippett and you wonder how much they have in their salary cap.

Drunken Bum
09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Gilbee and Shaggy were our 2 veterans this year were they not? If we are struggling to reach 90 or 95% of the cap(whichever it is) rather than overpaying players that may not deserve(yet) it should we not move anyone on to the veterans list? Who is available for it? Boyd, Cross, Gia, Smurf?

gohardorgohome
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I think the Western Bulldogs will have a lot of space in next seasons salary cap. 2013 is a development year. I think we should front load all of the gun players salarys next year. Therefore paying the full 100%. This will free up a lot more space for 2014-15 where we can aggressively recruit star out of contract GWS and Gold Coast players, or the best key forward in the AFL.

Ozza
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
It's supposed to be for the cost of living in Sydney compared to other cities.The AFL needs to look at this again and make sure it's distributed primarily to those under the league average salary not to acquire players.

Its a pretty outdated concept now.

I've just spent a couple of weeks in Western Australia,....and the cost of living in Perth would have to be right up there, if not higher than Sydney right now.