bulldogsfight
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
just listening to Trade Radio

the doggs have told Hunter not to speak to the radio,

Walalce and Hutchy bemused , I agree

we need all the publicity we can get

Maddog37
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Glad to have him. Looks a one touch type of player.

KT31
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
just listening to Trade Radio

the doggs have told Hunter not to speak to the radio,

Walalce and Hutchy bemused , I agree

we need all the publicity we can get

The Dogs will want to intoduce hime as a father son with all the bells and whistles, thus creating a bit more publicity.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Im excited to see him develop with us

He's self-reported himself as an outside player, and has the advantage of being a left footer.

Others here have seen him play but Im excited with his acquisition

Ghost Dog
08-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Excuse my ignorance, if North offer 35 and we offer 46, doesn't that mean North are giving the better offer?

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Excuse my ignorance, if North offer 35 and we offer 46, doesn't that mean North are giving the better offer?

In the father son bidding, we just have to match with our next selection

So North offer 35 and our next selection then becomes the pick we use(46). We get the inside track because he is the son of our clubs former player.

Melbourne obviously do very nicely getting Viney for 26 when Port nominated pick 7

Ozza
08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
By bidding pick 35 - we have to confirm we will use our next available pick on Hunter - or North get him. So we have confirmed we will use our next pick - and get him with pick 46.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-10-2012, 12:47 PM
In the father son bidding, we just have to match with our next selection

So North offer 35 and our next selection then becomes the pick we use(46). We get the inside track because he is the son of our clubs former player.

Melbourne obviously do very nicely getting Viney for 26 when Port nominated pick 7
Welcome Lachie Hunter, best regards for your career with the mighty Bulldogs and its quest for glory.

Why didn't we use a pick for Viney? Were we afraid we might get him?

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Welcome Lachie Hunter, best regards for your career with the mighty Bulldogs and its quest for glory.

We needed someone before us in the draft - GC or GWS to nominate for Viney, otherwise Melbourne were going to get him with Pick 26

Mofra
08-10-2012, 12:53 PM

What difference would it make? Any pick before 26 yields the same result.

mighty_west
08-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Maybe we just don't rate him as high as a few others we can select with our 2 first round picks.

Ghost Dog
08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for explaining Bulldog Rev and Ozza. Then this is a bit of a steal for us?

comrade
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for explaining Bulldog Rev and Ozza. Then this is a bit of a steal for us?

If he turns out to be good, then yes.

stefoid
08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Good, means he was worth picking (other team bid on him at 35) but we didnt pay through the nose.

Dog54
08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
3rd round is fairly good considering we got a late 3rd round compo pick for reid last year. So we have a pick in the 3rd round live all be it is at the back of round 3.

Greystache
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Congratulations Lachie , welcome to the Bulldogs.

Here's hoping for a long and successful career.

DragzLS1
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Hunter was rated in the 20's to early 30's which is why its a bargain at 46. Lets just hope he can bring something to teh table and by all reports he is a decent player :)

bornadog
08-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Welcome Lachie, great to have another father son at the dogs, hopefully it will be a long and successful one.

chef
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Excellent news and hopefully turns out to be a bargain.

GVGjr
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
We paid a very fair price for a good footballer.

Good addition to our side.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Nice article with quotes from his dad
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149397/default.aspx

We seem to have done a good job with our sons of guns in the lead up to drafting.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2012, 08:26 PM
We paid a very fair price for a good footballer.

Good addition to our side.

Agreed, I rate him probably a bit higher than some so I'm very happy with this outcome.

Should be a solid, long term player and potentially more. Has intensity which is a crucial ingredient and will hold him in good stead.

The Cowshed
08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I think we got dudded as usual on this, not that we could do anything about it...hopefully we can return the favour to North Melbourne next year.

I would have thought Hunter a good selection for us at the fourth round pick but at 46 I think it cost us overs.

bornadog
08-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I think we got dudded as usual on this, not that we could do anything about it...hopefully we can return the favour to North Melbourne next year.

I would have thought Hunter a good selection for us at the fourth round pick but at 46 I think it cost us overs.

Why do you say that? I think 46 is about right?

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2012, 09:06 PM
TAC cup team of the year in the starting 18

Is it overpaying or would you just have preferred a later pick?

G-Mo77
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Would have been nice to get him later but #46 seems about right. I'm happy with that.

Throughandthrough
08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
By bidding pick 35 - we have to confirm we will use our next available pick on Hunter - or North get him. So we have confirmed we will use our next pick - and get him with pick 46.

I wonder if we can noe swap this pick for a later one from another club. Matt Rendell, are you there?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Welcome Lachlan Hunter, let's hope this proves to be a bargain in coming years.

The Cowshed
08-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Why do you say that? I think 46 is about right?

I just think he is an average size (180?), average pace and is perhaps similar to other future mid-fielders...Wallis, Libba, Smith etc...one batters in the pace category. (Hopefully, they'll turn into Sewell, Mitchell, Lewis etc)

I may be cutting him short because I've only seen him in the champs but he didn't strike me as anything more than a contributor although I hope he turns out to be a superstar!

Noticed he has an ungainly but effective bounce of the ball with the right hand although he kicks left...interesting.

Throughandthrough
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7379341894_d3a65cdb3d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/7379341894/)
Lachlan Hunter SA vs Vix Metro u18 2012 AFL SANFL 247 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/7379341894/) by FlashGordon Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/34664426@N04/), on Flickr

MrMahatma
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I just think he is an average size (180?), average pace and is perhaps similar to other future mid-fielders...Wallis, Libba, Smith etc...one batters in the pace category. (Hopefully, they'll turn into Sewell, Mitchell, Lewis etc)

I may be cutting him short because I've only seen him in the champs but he didn't strike me as anything more than a contributor although I hope he turns out to be a superstar!

Noticed he has an ungainly but effective bounce of the ball with the right hand although he kicks left...interesting.
Sounds like the type of guy you tend to get from picks 30+.

SlimPickens
08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome Lachie

Reasonably happy with the pick paid. Here is to a long successful career.

Sedat
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
He's been interviewed by plenty of clubs, he tested very well in some of the draft combine events and he had a super season at TAC level. On the open market he'd be well gone before our 3rd round selection so I think it is a more than fair price. Added to the fact that we got the band 5 compensation (which will be pick 47) from GWS for Sam Reid means we basically got Hunter for nothing.

I like players that are footballers first and foremost and who perform consitently well at U-18 level - Hunter fits that mould from what I've read of him. The leg speed issue concerns me less because he appears to be a natural footballer - Ryan O'Keefe is a very good example of a player without elite leg speed but who is an elite natural footballer.

The Cowshed
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
He's been interviewed by plenty of clubs, he tested very well in some of the draft combine events and he had a super season at TAC level. On the open market he'd be well gone before our 3rd round selection so I think it is a more than fair price. Added to the fact that we got the band 5 compensation (which will be pick 47) from GWS for Sam Reid means we basically got Hunter for nothing.

I like players that are footballers first and foremost and who perform consitently well at U-18 level - Hunter fits that mould from what I've read of him. The leg speed issue concerns me less because he appears to be a natural footballer - Ryan O'Keefe is a very good example of a player without elite leg speed but who is an elite natural footballer.

O'Keefe has size though at 188cm. I suppose our extra picks from Lake 41 and S.Reid compo at 47 will help mask what could have been a gap for us in this part of the draft.

Greystache
09-10-2012, 12:44 AM

There seems to be some belief that he's slow, he ran under 3 seconds for the 20m sprint and was the fastest in the agility test at the combine. To put that into perspective he was significantly quicker in both tests than someone like Garlett who everyone is saying we should look at because he's quick.

mjp
09-10-2012, 01:56 AM
There seems to be some belief that he's slow, he ran under 3 seconds for the 20m sprint and was the fastest in the agility test at the combine. To put that into perspective he was significantly quicker in both tests than someone like Garlett who everyone is saying we should look at because he's quick.

Garlett IS quick. I wouldn't worry too much about his 20m time.

Greystache
09-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Garlett IS quick. I wouldn't worry too much about his 20m time.

Not disputing that, just showing that Hunter isn't slow as has been suggested.

Scraggers
09-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Now that we have picked up Pick 41 as part of the Lake deal, does this mean we have to use this pick to secure Hunter (as this is now our first pick after North's Pick 35)??

westdog54
09-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Now that we have picked up Pick 41 as part of the Lake deal, does this mean we have to use this pick to secure Hunter (as this is now our first pick after North's Pick 35)??

Nope.

The father-son bidding and confirmation is concluded before the start of the trade period. Once it was decided what picks would be dedicated to the Father Son selections, the trade period commenced.

Scorlibo
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
From the 15 seconds of highlights available on Lachie (how hopeless is the afl site this year with the lack of highlights packages), he looks to be a Stevey Milne type.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
What difference would it make? Any pick before 26 yields the same result.

The difference is that we have the courage of our convictions. How could we believe that GC or GWS should ensure Melbourne don't get Viney too cheaply if we aren't prepared to ensure it ourselves? The question is not whether we believe he is worth a first round pick, its whether Melbourne do.

Mofra
10-10-2012, 08:10 PM
The difference is that we have the courage of our convictions. How could we believe that GC or GWS should ensure Melbourne don't get Viney too cheaply if we aren't prepared to ensure it ourselves? The question is not whether we believe he is worth a first round pick, its whether Melbourne do.
You honestly think the clubs don't talk about the bidding process prior to it occurring?
Any bid between 5 and 25 gets the same result - clubs by and large are consequnetialist and not into pointless pissing contests.

Raw Toast
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM

The problem as Mofra and others have implied, is that even if we bidded our first pick on him (#5) he was still going to be picked up by the Dees with their pick in the 20s because that was their first pick after #4. The only teams that could make the Demons use pick #3 were GC and GWS.

If we'd known what was going to happen, perhaps we could've sold GWS that we were still thinking about giving #5 & #6 for Martin. It seems in hindsight, that after we confirmed on the weekend that we would not use both picks, GWS let GC know that they would accept pick #2 and so GC did not bid #2 on Viney and the rest is ugly history.

Sedat
10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
If we'd known what was going to happen, perhaps we could've sold GWS that we were still thinking about giving #5 & #6 for Martin. It seems in hindsight, that after we confirmed on the weekend that we would not use both picks, GWS let GC know that they would accept pick #2 and so GC did not bid #2 on Viney and the rest is ugly history.
If that is how it played out (and I have no reason to doubt Emma Quayle), we have botched the mini-draft and the Viney situation immeasurably.

Raw Toast
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
If that is how it played out (and I have no reason to doubt Emma Quayle), we have botched the mini-draft and the Viney situation immeasurably.

I think that's a bit harsh myself. It would have been a huge call to give up picks 5 & 6 for Martin, and after the Tyson deal fell through, I can understand us saying as much.

That said, this has all got the very strong whiff of Clayton to it, and you can imagine that he might have been one of the very few people in the footy world with the strategic thoughts and bald-faced cunning to be able to string GWS out long enough for Gold Coast to give up their pick #2 for Viney. (Or was the idea that GC would give up #2 for Viney all a just a clever distraction.)

Bulldog4life
10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I think that's a bit harsh myself. It would have been a huge call to give up picks 5 & 6 for Martin, and after the Tyson deal fell through, I can understand us saying as much.

That said, this has all got the very strong whiff of Clayton to it, and you can imagine that he might have been one of the very few people in the footy world with the strategic thoughts and bald-faced cunning to be able to string GWS out long enough for Gold Coast to give up their pick #2 for Viney. (Or was the idea that GC would give up #2 for Viney all a just a clever distraction.)

I agree. GWS wanted 5 & 6 for Martin. We weren't prepared to give up those 2 picks. GC got him with a lower pick. There was nothing else we could have done except "sell the farm" on one player.

Sedat
10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm not talking about the giving up of picks 5 and 6 but moreso the complete disclosure of our intentions not to part with both picks a few days before the MD was even on. It gave all of GWS, GC and Melbourne a chance to collude and come up with a smarter outcome that benefitted all of them and screwed us (and in turn the rest of the competition).

If Martin was what we wanted (and several reports suggest we were shattered at missing out on him), sometimes you need to have the courage of your convictions and do whatever it takes to deliver what you want. Package up both picks and get a player (Jed Anderson muted elsewhere) and/or a later 1st round selection in return. Be bold, brave, daring, innovative. Also be more stealth-like and cunning and keep your cards close to your chest - far too much time in front of a camera and microphone by our guys in the last week or so.

Raw Toast
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm not talking about the giving up of picks 5 and 6 but moreso the complete disclosure of our intentions not to part with both picks a few days before the MD was even on. It gave all of GWS, GC and Melbourne a chance to collude and come up with a smarter outcome that benefitted all of them and screwed us (and in turn the rest of the competition).

If Martin was what we wanted (and several reports suggest we were shattered at missing out on him), sometimes you need to have the courage of your convictions and do whatever it takes to deliver what you want. Package up both picks and get a player (Jed Anderson muted elsewhere) and/or a later 1st round selection in return. Be bold, brave, daring, innovative. Also be more stealth-like and cunning and keep your cards close to your chest - far too much time in front of a camera and microphone by our guys in the last week or so.

I'm on the fence with this one. I did prefer Clayton's ability to craft wins out of nothing, but he also tended to be too tricky at times. I was happy with the proposed Tyson deal (we would have got pick #9 as well as Anderson and Martin) and Martin quite possibly is worth both picks but the risk is a high one.

Really, the AFL should have massive eggs on their faces, because their mini-drafts were subverted completely away from the intention, and ended up exacerbating the problems they were supposed to solve! It's all a bit like a cruel joke at the moment.

Hotdog60
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
One question, what happens if none of the clubs bid for the MD. Do those players involved just go on for next years ND and would it stuff up GWS.

azabob
10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
One question, what happens if none of the clubs bid for the MD. Do those players involved just go on for next years ND and would it stuff up GWS.

Probably, but now its a mute point. No more mini draft.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-10-2012, 10:41 PM
You honestly think the clubs don't talk about the bidding process prior to it occurring?
Any bid between 5 and 25 gets the same result - clubs by and large are consequnetialist and not into pointless pissing contests.

So what you're saying is that we knew he would have been bid on before Melb next pick because clubs rated him higher. His market value was more than the next Melb pick so we didn't have to make sure the other bastards, in this case Melbourne, get anything cheap. OK I see. I didn't realise what their next pick was, so that makes sense. thanks Raw Toast.

Throughandthrough
29-10-2012, 09:25 PM
And Lachy Hunter now on twitter

@lachhunter

And what a maginificent photo he has for his profile photo on twitter ;)

jazzadogs
29-10-2012, 09:37 PM
And Lachy Hunter now on twitter

@lachhunter

And what a maginificent photo he has for his profile photo on twitter ;)
Playing footy in a Vic jumper? Or has he changed it?

Throughandthrough
29-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Yea that's it. Was against SA at Alberton oval this year

Go_Dogs
29-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Yea that's it. Was against SA at Alberton oval this year

You might have to make a demand for some royalty payments. :D

Throughandthrough
29-10-2012, 10:04 PM
You might have to make a demand for some royalty payments. :D

:) All good. Pretty chuffed when they get used!

azabob
15-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Little piece on Lachie with footage.

He looks extremely strong (big) through the hips, similar to Griffen.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/pick-me-signed-and-sealed-western-bulldog-lachie-hunter-a-devastating-goalkicker/story-fnelctok-1226516871301

divvydan
15-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Reminded me kicking wise of something between a Luke Power and Rhys Palmer, hopefully he's more Power than Palmer.