PDA

View Full Version : Sly digs, really spoils things.

The Coon Dog
08-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Gotta admit to being disillusioned on here for quite some time now, you might have gathered seeing as I don't post too often.

What has really annoyed me on here are the constant digs that posters continually throw at one another. Some are quite obvious, others more subtle, nevertheless its there & has soured this site for me as a result.

We all barrack & support the same team, but you wouldn't have thought it over the past 12 months.

I don't need to go into details or name names, you're all pretty cluey & know exactly what I'm talking about.

How about we bury the hatchet guys, please.

chef
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Seconded. This place is getting very sour.

PS
I think we all miss your contributions Barry.

Max469
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Gotta admit to being disillusioned on here for quite some time now, you might have gathered seeing as I don't post too often.

What has really annoyed me on here are the constant digs that posters continually throw at one another. Some are quite obvious, others more subtle, nevertheless its there & has soured this site for me as a result.

We all barrack & support the same team, but you wouldn't have thought it over the past 12 months.

I don't need to go into details or name names, you're all pretty cluey & know exactly what I'm talking about.

Well said TCD. Not the same anymore

The Underdog
08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Agree, the site has resembled a pissing contest for too long. Gets incredibly dull.

bulldogsman
08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I couldn't agree more. Well said TCD.

mighty_west
08-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Well said Baz, it's worse than BF on here at times, it's a shame.

Agree with the pissing contest line.

Mofra
08-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Well said. Play the ball not the man.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2012, 07:24 PM

We all barrack & support the same team but you wouldn't have thought it over the past 12 months.

Thanks Coon Dog a good thread. The bolded part resonated with me.

AndrewP6
08-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Well said TCD.

LostDoggy
08-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Agree. Maturity and good discussion have always been something that sets this site apart from BF. Let's get back to it.

The Pie Man
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Agree CD and well said. Would prefer a site richer for the input of the likes of CD, let's make it a place he wants to visit and contribute in more often.

w3design
08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
So glad someone said this. I'm a regular visitor to the site but rarely post having seen the endless childish baiting and aggression. Many of us might have something to say if we weren't intimidated by the idea of the hectoring style of some posters jumping straight down our throats. The more thoughtful, humorous posters seem to have fled. What's left seems to be far too many that seem almost happy that we're, umm, not very good, at present so they can vent their spleen and be happy that they're vindicated about their poor opinion on.. You name it. Hoping civility returns....

boydogs
08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Agree. Maturity and good discussion have always been something that sets this site apart from BF.

This ^^

MrMahatma
08-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Yep.

Let's draw a line under it.

Eastdog
08-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Well said TCD.

JohnGentStand
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Group hug ???? :)

Let's save our vitriol for the unworthy others ( all other teams)

westdog54
08-10-2012, 10:09 PM
TCD.

No one has missed your valued contributions than I. Its been truly sad to see you withdraw from the forum to the extent you have this year has been truly sad.

I'm not sure what has jarred you into action but thank goodness it has because you've been missed.

The Coon Dog
08-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure what has jarred you into action but thank goodness it has because you've been missed.

Thanks Nick, I have been thinking about saying something for a while, but just never did. Today with Brian Lake being traded I could see immediately which way things were going to go on here & sure enough both camps lined up & teed off.

I don't mind people having a point of view, that's why we come here, just seems that some can't resist a little twist of the knife in their posts.

Mantis
08-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks Nick, I have been thinking about saying something for a while, but just never did. Today with Brian Lake being traded I could see immediately which way things were going to go on here & sure enough both camps lined up & teed off.

I don't mind people having a point of view, that's why we come here, just seems that some can't resist a little twist of the knife in their posts.

Nice work on the OP and this one CD. Quite a few of the 'old guard' have been noticeable in their absence this year... This site is poorer for that.

Agree that knives have to be put away... The men in green included.

wimberga
08-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Well Said!

SonofScray
08-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Tend to agree with the OP, despite my dislike for the "this place 'aint what it used to be" line. It has been a feature of Footscray forums since the original Club moderated one. I like to read the whole spectrum of fan thoughts. The serious, ludicrous, optimistic and pessimistic. Its all part of the experience of being a fan and we should just respect that fact.

No need to get personal. Or to provide commentary on the quality of others' posts, without offering anything constructive and on topic of your own. That is a pet hate.

I prefer WOOF for more considered conversation over the inane and humourless BigFooty but it gets a boring when things turn into a dick measuring contest. You'd think the winner in a debate gets to spend a night with Trent Bartlett AND Kingsley Hunter the way things go down from time to time.

That being said, I will keep participating regardless. I've wasted too much of my life since the late 90s on Bulldog forums to bother changing or getting too worked up.

The Coon Dog
08-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Tend to agree with the OP, despite my dislike for the "this place 'aint what it used to be" line.
I didn't say that at all.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Well said Coon Dog, I have been disappointed enough with our on field form, come on here hopeing to find some comfort, all it did for me was make me more depressed.

DragzLS1
09-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Good Thread! This is the preferred forum for some more grown up discussion regarding our great club and would hate to see some leave because of posters having a go at 1 another.

GO DOGS! and go the young PUPS in 2013!

gohardorgohome
09-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I have always enjoyed the news about the club that can be found here however the tit for tat negative comments always make me flick the page....

One thing for sure that in most cases in footy nothing is ever as goods as it seems and nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

The truth of the matter is we are rebuilding and it will take time........ Scoreboard results in the next two years will count for little.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Nice post TCD. I'll admit certainly to some 'after loss' negativity although I think I'm pretty careful to never have a go at anyone on a personal level. This is going to be a tough period for the club (hopefully with reward at the end) and surely it's easier if we stay tight and ride it out together. We won't always agree with each other but exchanging alternative opinions can be done respectfully. Would like to see a little less sledging of our own players. I'll always support any player who pulls on the red, white and blue.

Ozza
09-10-2012, 05:07 PM
As a refresher, some pretty simple guidelines are included in the below.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8408

Bulldog4life
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
As a refresher, some pretty simple guidelines are included in the below.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8408

Glad you brought that up Ozza.

no.2) Criticism of players, coaches and club officials must not be excessive and/or obsessive.

Now I can name the posters, which I won't, who constantly don't adhere to this rule.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Nice post TCD. I'll admit certainly to some 'after loss' negativity although I think I'm pretty careful to never have a go at anyone on a personal level. This is going to be a tough period for the club (hopefully with reward at the end) and surely it's easier if we stay tight and ride it out together. We won't always agree with each other but exchanging alternative opinions can be done respectfully. Would like to see a little less sledging of our own players. I'll always support any player who pulls on the red, white and blue.
As you say HobDog I support anyone who pulls our jumper on. For god sake I even loved Aker for a short time.

G-Mo77
09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Glad you brought that up Ozza.

no.2) Criticism of players, coaches and club officials must not be excessive and/or obsessive.

Now I can name the posters, which I won't, who constantly don't adhere to this rule.

OK I'll take it easy on Shermo. Apologies.

:)

Bulldog4life
09-10-2012, 07:31 PM

H ha. I actually wasn't thinking of you G-Mo.

EasternWest
09-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Ha ha. Nice one. Considering how passionate you feel about it, I'd say you've been remarkably restrained!

Ghost Dog
09-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Good one TCD. Cheers for your input and let's not get dragged down to Bigfooty level. Viva la woof.

always right
09-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry.

1eyedog
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Well said TCD. I have moved away from the forum a bit myself as I have found I have snapped a bit now and then and sometimes struggle to curtail my passion for the club. Your post puts things back into perspective. The site has changed a lot during my tenure, but the quality of the posters who made it such a great site remain. I miss this place a bit and will certainly endeavour to comment with respect to my fellow poster and the utmost loyalty to my club.

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Great post CoonDog - I too have stayed away from this forum because of all the negativity! It was a tough year for all of us and I hoped to find some solace on Woof, but it never seemed to work out like that! Bring on 2013 and hopefully we can all decide to be more respectful to one another! We do all bleed Red, White & Blue, don't we?:o

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I also have to admit that I havent been posting as much as I like.

I have felt that if I put my thoughts up I will be opening myself up for attacks form other posters who regularly see the glass half full or dont contribute anything, just comment negatively about most things that are posted or go on at the club.

I think we need to keep in mind that written words themselves can be interpreted in a number of ways to which the poster had not intended or that the post may be misinterpreted by the reader etc.

Im sure that most of us arent here for a fight, and if people are here looking for that they should maybe have a bit of think about why they are doing so before posting.

I think we also need to remind ourselves that as much as we all support the dogs that there are different levels of interest. I think I have a pretty good level of interest, but then when I come on here, I will see that some posters have a much deeper level of interest than myself & some that have a lower interest. We should consider this before we jump down someones throat for what may be perceived as a ill-informed comment etc.
Some posters know more than others, especially when it comes to trading/free agency and all the new rules & regs the AFL have introduced.
EG: I was reading the Facebook comments the other day (bad example I know)about Lake moving but the amount of casual supporters that were commenting on stuff where they didnt know the full facts was incredible. It made me wonder how many posters here may be similar & its sometimes a lack of understanding that may wind some other posters up.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Great thread TCD.
Like you, I pretty much stopped posting.

You know that arcade game where gophers stick their heads out of the hole and you have to smash them back down with a hammer as fast as you can?

Posting on WOOF is like being one of those gophers at times.

Hopefully everyone pulls back from bickering and sniping.

LostDoggy
11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Great thread TCD.
Like you, I pretty much stopped posting.

You know that arcade game where gophers stick their heads out of the hole and you have to smash them back down with a hammer as fast as you can?

Posting on WOOF is like being one of those gophers at times.

Hopefully everyone pulls back from bickering and sniping.

Whack A Mole! :D

I'd also noticed you weren't posting much Coon Dog. Good to see you back. :)