PDA

View Full Version : Young Western Bulldog Jordan Roughead to replace Brian Lake

bornadog
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/young-western-bulldog-jordan-roughead-to-replace-brian-lake-up-forward/story-e6frf9jf-1226492358275)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/359099-jordan-roughead.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs have earmarked Jordan Roughead as the man to replace Brian Lake after revealing the 30-year-old was set to play forward if he stayed at the club next year.
The Dogs were still surprised at the level of animosity over their trade for Lake yesterday after accepting pick 41 and a shuffle of mid-20s picks with Hawthorn.

They are still in the race for Collingwood's Chris Dawes, but have ruled out interest in Essendon's Scott Gumbleton despite needing another key tall forward.

Roughead, 21, was initially slated as a ruckman and key forward but after playing back in the last five weeks, including a solid outing against Brisbane's Jonathan Brown, he will play next year at full-back.

The Dogs did push hard to secure Hawthorn's first-round draft pick in the trade.

But with Hawthorn the only club showing interest in Lake, they knew getting a first-round pick for a player who turns 31 next February was unlikely.

The Bulldogs now have father-son selection Lachie Hunter and five other picks inside 50, including selections five and six.

The Dogs yesterday signed ruckman and free agent Will Minson for two years, as recently flagged in the Herald Sun.

List manager Jason McCartney said Roughead was well placed to fill the void left by Lake.

"Roughead will play back. It's amazing what can come out of a year like this," he said. "We are trying to get games into these guys and we looked at Roughead as a back and he really held his own down there.

"He played one game early in the year on (Mitch) Clark and then when Brian was suspended he went back and played the last five or six games back there and took the best tall forward.

"It's amazing what can happen when kids get the opportunity."

BulldogBelle
10-10-2012, 12:01 AM
It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender but he did play some good games down back. It's just hard to picture it!

bornadog
10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender but he did play some good games down back. It's just hard to picture it!

Did a pretty good job on arguably the best CHF (shown in the pic).

Hotdog60
10-10-2012, 12:13 AM

In that pic would it be (or was it) a free kick against Roughy. The umps don't like the hands around the forward.

Dry Rot
10-10-2012, 12:25 AM
It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender

Neither can I.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2012, 12:44 AM

Oh I know, I followed him closely all season as did we all. Thought he had some terrific games. It's just a strange feeling. He's an absolute talent.

Desipura
10-10-2012, 07:53 AM
That is why you play kids in certain positions, give them a taste of it. Roughy was promising down back towards the end if the year. I'm not so sure he is/will be a regular full back, Fletcher Roberts possibly could be.

azabob
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
That is why you play kids in certain positions, give them a taste of it. Roughy was promising down back towards the end if the year. I'm not so sure he is/will be a regular full back, Fletcher Roberts possibly could be.

Will be interesting to see which end of the ground both Roberts and Roughead end up at.

Mantis
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.

To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.

bornadog
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Will be interesting to see which end of the ground both Roberts and Roughead end up at.

I liked Roberts in the Forward line for Willi, he took some good marks and his kicking is pretty good.

Mofra
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I liked Roberts in the Forward line for Willi, he took some good marks and his kicking is pretty good.
Ditto - he's not big but he used his body well during the VFL finals

1eyedog
10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.
To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.

He's 200cm tall and dropped a heap of kgs last year while still appearing to be able to contest with the bigger guys. With the extra weiht gone I thought he looked a little sharper on his feet late last season.

craigsahibee
10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
It will be horses for courses with Roughy I think. Depending on the match up available he could alternate between FB and CHB. I was surprised to see him go back last year initially, but I think he did enough to suggest that he may have a future in defense.

As BAD suggested, Roberts did show a bit up forward for Willy late in the season also.

I mentioned in another post that he may not have the bulk and size to play on opposition monsters, but it was pointed out to me by Greystache that he is heavier than Talia. Knowing one of Talia's uncles, I think Talia will eventually be big enough to handle the monsters along with Roughy and allow Roberts to play forward. Having said that, I don't know any of Fletch's uncles so he may in fact stack on some size also.

DragzLS1
10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Think Roughy is slow off the mark, but once again more time spent in the back line will allow him to read the play better and allow him to get off the mark earlier. Think he can do a good job on the bigger guys but the more athletic types may be an issue.

Love having somebody like Roughy who can now play back, Ruck and Forward. Well done

bornadog
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
It will be horses for courses with Roughy I think. Depending on the match up available he could alternate between FB and CHB.

Yes agreed, we also have Williams (if he can stay on the park) who has done well on Buddy as well as Cloke. I am pretty sure he has beaten Cloke everytime he has played on him.

One thing, Roughy is quicker than Markovic.

SlimPickens
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
One thing that has really impressed me about Roughy is his ability to read the flight of the ball. This will help him no end as a defender, I reckon he showed enough in the final few round to suggest he is worth perservering with.

Ozza
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree Slim. I've been underwhelmed with him in the ruck so far. He always came off as pretty timid in the ruck - but I didn't see this in his defensive play. His running and jumping at a contest is good - and the 200cm's gives him good reach to spoil.

I think he movement with improve with more time and focus on that position - and playing down back - may even make/educate him to be a better forward - if thats what he finishes up as. The way the game is going - with Ruckman resting forward regularly - it would be very handy to have a very tall man who knows how to defend.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM

One thing that has really impressed me about Roughy is his ability to read the flight of the ball. This will help him no end as a defender, I reckon he showed enough in the final few round to suggest he is worth perservering with.

I agree with both of these posts.

Whilst I think Roughy showed quite a bit as a defender, playing on some very good players and holding his own, his pace off the mark is that of a ruckman.

I think Roughy is a natural ruck who can drift forward and have an impact. I'm disappointed we aren't trying to hone his skills up forward, because he showed a lot at FF throughout the year, he just simply couldn't kick a goal. If anything, we should be trying to improve his goal kicking IMO.

I really hope this isn't a long term move.

GVGjr
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM

I agree. IMO at best Roughead is a stop gap measure for a defenders position but certainly not one to do it week after week. I've been proven wrong before but I just haven't seen enough positives in his play to be confident that he can make it a success.

w3design
10-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Totally agree i think Roberts could make a key forward with time and a bigger body good mark and kick.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I was impressed with a lot of his work in 2012, and I really like Roughy as a player, and it may well help his game long term, but he is not a natural full back. Talia is a far more natural key defender for my money

Roughy can pinch hit on Clark, or a resting ruck man, and some bigger key forward types, like Dawes ;), but I just dont see that he is a full back that could go with a Fevola, Jack Darling, Pavlich, Hurley etc

We might need a positive news story in light of supporter backlash/confusion as to the trade but I think this is a stretch

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I agree. IMO at best Roughead is a stop gap measure for a defenders position but certainly not one to do it week after week. I've been proven wrong before but I just haven't seen enough positives in his play to be confident that he can make it a success.

I agree. And that's not to say he didn't show some nice things at times down back this year, just that on the whole I can only see there being limited times throughout the year where the match ups could be worked to our advantage with him in the backline.
I would like to know how our coaching staff believe Roughy's agility and lack of pace off the mark issues could be mitigated.

I am not sold on this working out next year and hope that it doesn't negatively impact his overall development if it doesn't go well.

Bulldog4life
11-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Who knows what lies ahead but from what I saw this year Roughy played well at fullback. We also have to allow for the fact it was his first season too in playing that position. Let's give him time and if he continues to improve we might have found our selves a solid backman or even the side's swingman.

Bulldog Joe
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM

I am sure that the coach believes Roughy is full back for the long term.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2012, 05:03 PM

He's too slow off the lead. I love the kid, but moves like a ruckman.

bornadog
11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
He's too slow off the lead. I love the kid, but moves like a ruckman.

Natinui:D

GVGjr
11-10-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm sure he does as well. I hope to have a quick chat with him about it on Tuesday

Desipura
11-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm sure he does as well. I hope to have a quick chat with him about it on Tuesday

I thought the coach wanted Fletcher Roberts to put on 7kgs to play on the monsters down back?