PDA

View Full Version : Memo to those threatening to rip up their membership due to Trade Decisions

bornadog
11-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I have been reading on social media such as Facebook and Twitter as well as forums (not this one), that members want to rip up their membership because of the Lake trade or if we get Dawes.

I want to say to those, go ahead rip up your membership as you are not wanted at our club. We want members who stick by the club no matter what. Its one thing to vent your spleen (like I did re losing Lake:D), but its another to threaten the club. We are not Richmond supporters.

Has anyone ever heard a Collingwood Supporter speak like this.

We may or may not like the decisions, but none of us are privy to what happens in the inner sanctum. Criticism is one thing but the way some people carry on is just beyond me and not wanted at the club.

Stick with the club, through thick and thin, otherwise, shut your gob we don't need threats. If you have a beef ring the club, or write to the club, but this business on social media is just crap.

( PS:this is not directed at any poster on this forum)

Maddog37
11-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Why post it on this forum then BAD.....? lol

bornadog
11-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Lots of people read the forum. eg last night when I logged on there were 39 members and 36 guests logged. Also, just in case some of our posters do so on other forums and social media:D

Doc26
11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Well said BD, we are Through and Through afterall.

LostDoggy
11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I have been reading on social media such as Facebook and Twitter as well as forums (not this one), that members want to rip up their membership because of the Lake trade or if we get Dawes.

I want to say to those, go ahead rip up your membership as you are not wanted at our club. We want members who stick by the club no matter what. Its one thing to vent your spleen (like I did re losing Lake:D), but its another to threaten the club. We are not Richmond supporters.

We may or may not like the decisions, but none of us are privy to what happens in the inner sanctum. Criticism is one thing but the way some people carry on is just beyond me and not wanted at the club.

Stick with the club, through thick and thin, otherwise, shut your gob we don't need threats. If you have a beef ring the club, or write to the club, but this business on social media is just crap.

People roll out this tired old cliche of ripping up their membership cards because that's all they can do. They have no other way of “hurting” the club. I agree with your sentiments — to hell with them.

EasternWest
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Agree with you here BAD. The funny thing is, these are the same members that have paid up regardless of the tripe we've served up on the field, and they're going to rip them up because we're trying to trade to improve?

As repulsive as the "I'll tear up my membership" thought process is, wouldn't you wait to see if the trades pay off or not first? If we pick Dawes, and after a year or two he's no good, then I can understand the ire. But geez, before its even happened?

All that aside, if you're the type of person that thinks it's ok to hold the club to ransom, then we're better off without you.

Because at least posting it here will prompt discussion. On Facebook, this type of comment could end up with threats to burn his house down :).

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I've never said that myself, but is there any point at which at would be justified?
Any point at which you feel so outraged that it's a justifiable reaction?

bornadog
11-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I've never said that myself, but is there any point at which at would be justified?

yeah picks 5 & 6 for Dawes:D:D

Seriously no.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
100% Agree.
My membership is not negotiable, irrespective of my position on decisions the club make

Murphy'sLore
11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
My husband's aunt, a member for fifty years, refused to sign up again after the club sacked Aker.

???

You just can't talk sense into some people.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
yeah picks 5 & 6 for Dawes:D:D

Seriously no.

How about 5 & 6 and Griffen and Murphy for Waite?

bornadog
11-10-2012, 11:28 AM
How about 5 & 6 and Griffen and Murphy for Waite?

On a serious note, I would still stick with the club, as I assume they have a reason for doing what they are.

I am sure they wouldn't do anything as outrageous like that. Pick 21 for Dawes isnot radical, as it is really an early second round pick.

Bulldog4life
11-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Or as I said before if you are fair dinkum attend the next GM and voice your disapproval. Some parts of social media I detest. Facebook is one of them.

Doc26
11-10-2012, 11:34 AM

I wouldn't think so DD.

Individuals may make up the Club and alone they may at times cause levels of frustration across the fraternity with their actions but in the end the Club itself is far bigger than any one or group of individuals playing a role at a given point in time who afterall will move on anyway, some far sooner than others.

Lets not hurt the Club but as supporters I do see it as incumbent on us to challenge legitimate poor performance when we see it.

Twodogs
11-10-2012, 11:34 AM
My husband's aunt, a member for fifty years, refused to sign up again after the club sacked Aker.

???

My dad's the same. He's still a member but he went to the trouble of having a huge sticker made to put on the back of his car apologising to Aker. It's huge-it goes from brake light to brake light and is two foot tall. The problem is he's spelled "Aker" with two Ks. :D

I havent had the heart to point it out to him after he went to so much trouble.

Desipura
11-10-2012, 11:45 AM
BAD, even if a member wanted to rip up their membership, they would have to be pretty strong.
It's not like the 80's where they were made of paper with a picture of Brian Royal with rounds 1-22 on the side where the gatekeeper clips your membership each round you attend.
I have kept all my memberships since 1984, misplaced my first years membership in 1983.:mad:

LongWait
11-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Agree completely with everything you said in the op BAD. Well said.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Good thread BAD

...The funny thing is, these are the same members that have paid up regardless of the tripe we've served up on the field, and they're going to rip them up because we're trying to trade to improve?

As repulsive as the "I'll tear up my membership" thought process is, wouldn't you wait to see if the trades pay off or not first?

and a good point Eastern West. We all get it wrong at times when we evaluate these trades. I'll publicly confess I thought the decision to bring Paul Hudson in many moons a go was ridiculous, but it was a great decision by the club and completely made Huddos career. Dawes could do the same thing, or he could be a bust.

Throughandthrough
11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Are these the same peeps that didnt want Barry Hall?

Murphy'sLore
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah, Aunty Marge was very anti-Barry. Go figure.

My eight year old still misses Aker, too, but I'll cut her some slack because, well, she's eight!

BornInDroopSt'54
11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Married to the club by the heart. Divorce not possible, to death do us part.

dadsgirl16
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Agree entirely..I may not agree with every decision but after 50 odd years I am in for the long haul
(smiley face)

G-Mo77
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
They're probably not members anyway.

KT31
11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
More the better for us to get a ticket to the Grandfinal in a few years time.:)
Can't just be there when we are at the top, the true feeling of victory will come when we do finally win a flag and have stuck through the bad times.

Max469
11-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Amen.

Never truer words have been written.

Rip up membership - never in my lifetime.

Axe Man
11-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I try to resist reading anything written in response to the clubs facebook postings because I just know it will be full of ridiculously stupid statements by genetic throwbacks and deliberate trolling by morons with too much time on their hands that will just serve to annoy me. Those making these threats are probably the same ones who think that we should recruit Fevola.

LostDoggy
11-10-2012, 02:01 PM

LOL, yep the relationship between most supporters & their sporting allegencies is stronger than most personal relationships, quite strange when you think about it. :D

LostDoggy
11-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I also have to say that after our performances this year that people question why Im a member when we are preceived to be no good.

My response always is, Im no bandwagoner, the year we breakthrough and win the flag I will very proudly know that I stuck with us thru thick & thin. I always get a giggle at a lot of the johnny come lately's who join their clubs after a Premiership win. Who knows when you will win another! I'd rather be on board all the time than some of the time.

craigsahibee
11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
LOL, yep the relationship between most supporters & their sporting allegencies is stronger than most personal relationships, quite strange when you think about it. :D

Yes. You can change jobs, move house and even change your partner and it's considered part of life. But try changing your footy team and see what the response will be.

Cyberdoggie
11-10-2012, 05:06 PM

???

Unfortunately it's these sorts of attitudes which have a large factor in holding the club back. The club and team is far more important than the individual, and i think we have idolized individuals far too much in the past because of lack of team success.

always right
11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately it's these sorts of attitudes which have a large factor in holding the club back. The club and team is far more important than the individual, and i think we have idolized individuals far too much in the past because of lack of team success.

Although to be fair...there are individuals....then there are individuals.....then there are knobs.

Mitcha
11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Or as I said before if you are fair dinkum attend the next GM and voice your disapproval. Some parts of social media I detest. Facebook is one of them.
Hoping not to upset anyone but probably will, social media is a wank and complete waste of time, populated by giggling teenagers and morons.

azabob
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Hoping not to upset anyone but probably will, social media is a wank and complete waste of time, populated by giggling teenagers and morons.

Same could be said about people who frequent forums about football and the like.

Each to their own....

Topdog
11-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I'd love to not get a membership and stop caring. Never going to happen though

LostDoggy
11-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Great post bad, most people who would threaten to rip up their membership wouldn't have one.

Maddog37
11-10-2012, 09:41 PM
If I read one more post that threatens to rip up a membership I will rip up my membership!!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Where is all this membership burning being tossed about? Is this just a facebook thing?
It's a bit sad.
I mean over the 35 odd years I've followed this club I've been happy, sad, angry, hopeful, worried, etc because the club means that much to me.
It would seem counter intuitive to withdraw or even threaten to withdraw my membership and potentially risk losing the club that allows me the priviledge to feel all of these emotions.
My support of the club transcends any one trade, hiring, firing, poor performance or even any one period of time or particular administration.
I've always thought that one of the central characteristics shared amongst all Bulldog supporters was resilience.
It saddens me to think that due to our current troubles - that will one day pass-there are some who would forsake the club.
This is when the club needs us most, and when we emerge out the other side, as we will inevitably do, it is sticking firm that will define not just the club's character but also it's supporters.

ReLoad
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Such a Richmond thing to do, I mean they even include a stamped self addressed envelope with their memberships.

Remi Moses
11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I think the modern way is to microwave your membership.
Never forget former Everton manager Howard Kendall, when asked why he quit Man City to return as manager of Everton. "Everton's my wife and city were my mistress"
Everyone can have their views but don't hold the club to ransom.

bornadog
11-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Where is all this membership burning being tossed about? Is this just a facebook thing?
It's a bit sad. .

Lots on Twitter if you read the responses directed to @westernbulldogs tweets.

jeemak
11-10-2012, 11:35 PM

Good grief. I need to reasses how I spend my time, if for no other reason than to prevent blindness kicking in.

There's mainstream social media, and there's social media used to keep connected and share ideas and opinions in places such as WOOF.

I'm not too worried if people want to rip memberships up and carry on like pork chops. Life's too short.

AndrewP6
12-10-2012, 12:14 AM

It's fair to say that calling people morons is going to upset someone. I for one, am one of the Facebook population, and don't really appreciate the label. It's very difficult to make sweeping intellectual judgments based on Facebook posts!

All generalisations are false...

Topdog
12-10-2012, 12:23 AM
As with absolutely everything in life some people are morons on social media.

It staggers me that people still make ridiculous claims like that. Are all Americans morons because of the people that go on Jerry Springer? Is everyone that writes on a forum a geek with no real friends or family?

You can quickly sort through the people that are morons on it and remove them.

westdog54
12-10-2012, 12:35 AM
It's fair to say that calling people morons is going to upset someone. I for one, am one of the Facebook population, and don't really appreciate the label. It's very difficult to make sweeping intellectual judgments based on Facebook posts!

All generalisations are false...

That's a pretty unfair generalisation.:D

Social media has the unfortunate ability to let the world know what any one person is thinking at any one time, no matter how stupid or inappropriate the thought.

The problem lies with the individuals.

AndrewP6
12-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Social media has the unfortunate ability to let the world know what any one person is thinking at any one time, no matter how stupid or inappropriate the thought.

Yes, agreed, it is all too easy to "put it all out there". And, working with kids, I see every day the negative impact it can have.

westdog54
12-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes, agreed, it is all too easy to "put it all out there". And, working with kids, I see every day the negative impact it can have.

You think you've got it bad, do you know how much time I dedicate in my profession to sorting out petty rubbish from facebook?

jeemak
12-10-2012, 12:46 AM

I for one will not tollerate generalisation bashing.

AndrewP6
12-10-2012, 01:02 AM
You think you've got it bad, do you know how much time I dedicate in my profession to sorting out petty rubbish from facebook?

Amazes me just how many kids at my school are on it, considering none of them are thirteen...

SonofScray
12-10-2012, 01:03 AM
You are either one of us, or you're not. If you are not a member, or a part of our organisation, no love and no respect from me. Not that it'd mean much to anyone but it does to me at the time I feel like like that.

I think you can be critical and blow up and ride the emotional roller coaster but a membership is non negotiable and actively embracing your role as a supportive, Footscray fan above all else is paramount.

jeemak
12-10-2012, 01:13 AM
You are either one of us, or you're not. If you are not a member, or a part of our organisation, no love and no respect from me. Not that it'd mean much to anyone but it does to me at the time I feel like like that.

I think you can be critical and blow up and ride the emotional roller coaster but a membership is non negotiable and actively embracing your role as a supportive, Footscray fan above all else is paramount.

You're entitled to your views, but I'm not going to place any restrictions on how people support the club.

Basically what you're saying is you don't respect those that don't prioritise the Bulldogs in the same manner you deem acceptable. I can't roll with that. There's too many people out there who for some reason or another can't or won't take up a membership and the club and its members should still embrace them.

SonofScray
12-10-2012, 01:38 AM
You're entitled to your views, but I'm not going to place any restrictions on how people support the club.

Basically what you're saying is you don't respect those that don't prioritise the Bulldogs in the same manner you deem acceptable. I can't roll with that. There's too many people out there who for some reason or another can't or won't take up a membership and the club and its members should still embrace them.

Like I said, it won't matter to anyone at the end of the day and I am OK with that. If you are not a member, your opinions on the FFC and status as a fan is diminished in my eyes. Probably a harsh view, I understand it is exclusive but when I pay my dues I do so with that in mind, that I am literally buying in.

Of course I am mindful of the fact that there are times where the means to buy in, are limited and within that lies the exception to my belief.

bornadog
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM

Is that internal or external problems.

bornadog
12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Like I said, it won't matter to anyone at the end of the day and I am OK with that. If you are not a member, your opinions on the FFC and status as a fan is diminished in my eyes. Probably a harsh view, I understand it is exclusive but when I pay my dues I do so with that in mind, that I am literally buying in.

Of course I am mindful of the fact that there are times where the means to buy in, are limited and within that lies the exception to my belief.

This ^^

Telling the club if they don't do this or that or one will rip up their membership is not what a supporter is all about.

Ghost Dog
12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
If I went around threatening to tear up my membership, I don't think I could REALLY savour the day when we hold the cup aloft. And we will.

Twodogs
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM

I could imagine. Social media and it's quirks must have added a whole extra dimension to your work.

Amazes me just how many kids at my school are on it, considering none of them are thirteen...

There's ways around the age cut off. I have to monitor what she's doing fairly carefully but I'm not too stressed about my 11 yo being on FB. She really only goes on OneWorld and I can check what's she is up to remotely.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Perhaps we could do what a Richmond supporter suggested - issue some cardboard cards with "for burning purposes only" printed on them along with your real membership for those who need to vent their spleen

DragzLS1
12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Ripping up memberships is weak! in 3-4 years when we are going well and all the youngsters have stepped up what happens then? Jump back on the bandwagon? No thank you we arnt Richmond :)

If supporters (if thats what you call them) want to rip up their membership then go for it, but dont come crawling back in the coming years ;)

westdog54
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Is that internal or external problems.

External:D

We get that many warnings about social media at work it aint funny.