PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs to rub shoulders with top English soccer clubs

bornadog
15-10-2012, 06:06 PM
link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-to-rub-shoulders-with-top-english-soccer-clubs/story-e6frf9jf-1226495711721)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/873461-ryan-griffen.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs players will rub shoulders with the likes of European soccer champions Chelsea in London next month.

The Dogs take on Port Adelaide at The Oval on November 3, the first exhibition match in Britain since 2006.

But the club also will use the trip as a springboard to its 2013 pre-season and will take time to visit some of the world's biggest clubs.

Players and staff will tour the facilities of Chelsea, English Premier League champions Manchester City, another English giant, Liverpool, and Fulham, the home of Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

The Dogs also will link up with rugby union side Harlequins on the 14-day trip starting on October 30.

"We're trying to use the opportunity to educate the boys, but we're going to have some fun too," Western Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

"We're going to go and watch a game as well. On the first Sunday there's Queen's Park Rangers v Reading and Liverpool v Newcastle.

"Before and after we'll do the traditional sort of pre-season stuff. It's not going to be a sweat camp, boot camp-type thing, but we'll get on with the normal running, some weights and we'll get the balls out as well."

The entire Bulldogs squad will make the trip after returning from holidays.

Some players who had injury-interrupted seasons, including Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney, already have begun a pre-season of sorts at the Whitten Oval.

Cooney won't take on the Power, but Fantasia said some other Bulldog stars will be in the 24-strong side.

"Guys like Liam Picken, Luke Dahlhaus, those type of players will play," he said.

"It won't be a side made completely out of first-gamers or anything like that.

"Predominantly we'll play a young side and give those boys a run, but there will still be some recognisable experience in there as well."

Fantasia said new high-performance manager Graham Lowe, formerly of the Scottish international rugby team set-up, would link with the Bulldogs for the first time on the trip.

"Even though he's started with us, he won't meet the boys for the first time until we get to London," he said.

chef
15-10-2012, 06:26 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs players will rub shoulders with the likes of European soccer champions Chelsea in London next month.

Lucky fella's.:)

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Mixing with the toxic twins Terry and Cole.
Delightful company:eek:

chef
15-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Mixing with the toxic twins Terry and Cole.
Delightful company:eek:

You could say that about any club mate.

Rooney, Rio, Schmeichel, Giggs etc say hi.

Topdog
15-10-2012, 06:51 PM
None of those 4 are in the same class as Terry and Cole.

Anyway a good news story for the club. Serious kudos to them for this.

On a side note why on Earth did the AFL choose 2 of the worst teams in the league to play an exhibition match?

chef
15-10-2012, 06:56 PM

On a side note why on Earth did the AFL choose 2 of the worst teams in the league to play an exhibition match?

I know.

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Taking the urine, surely.

Topdog
15-10-2012, 07:29 PM
about which part? Rooney are co aren't exactly role models but Terry is absolute scum (to be fair i shouldnt include Cole, apologies to him)

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 07:30 PM
You could say that about any club mate.

Rooney, Rio, Schmeichel, Giggs etc say hi.

For all their faults, racist taunts isn't among them.
Defend him if you like that's up to you

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 07:33 PM
about which part? Rooney are co aren't exactly role models but Terry is absolute scum (to be fair i shouldnt include Cole, apologies to him)

Sorry Topdog thought you were talking football ability.
Most footballers are overpaid prima donnas, but Terry and Cole are awful.

chef
15-10-2012, 07:39 PM
For all their faults, racist taunts isn't among them.
Defend him if you like that's up to you

Don't want to derail the thread, but Rio and Schmeichel have both been done for being racist. When has Cole?

And I'm not defending Terry.

chef
15-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry Topdog thought you were talking football ability.
Most footballers are overpaid prima donnas, but Terry and Cole are awful.

Sorry, but thats just crap.

Eastdog
15-10-2012, 07:57 PM
They should also do a tour of Old Trafford.

ledge
15-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Nah we go to straight to the top not the also rans

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Sorry, but thats just crap.

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.Ferdinand responding to the abuse his brother copped. The whole Sordid Terry affair was a Dim reminder of the dark days of 80's English football.

Remi Moses
15-10-2012, 10:34 PM

Don't think our club would ever have seen a trophy cabinet bulging as much Easty.:p

1eyedog
15-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Hope we don't get a major injury, god I hate these exhibition matches

w3design
15-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Great, learn what we can from all these organizations. But please bring Steve Gerard back with you as a mentor/inspiration for our players. He has to be one of the most inspirational leaders in the world of football of any code.

Guess you would never guess I have been a life time supporter of Liverpool [as well as the Dogs] huh?

LostDoggy
15-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Great, learn what we can from all these organizations. But please bring Steve Gerard back with you as a mentor/inspiration for our players. He has to be one of the most inspirational leaders in the world of football of any code.

Guess you would never guess I have been a life time supporter of Liverpool [as well as the Dogs] huh?

Me too mate, unfortunately both our teams are tracking the same at the moment...
That champions league win over Milan from 3 down was a massive moment in sport for me. Gerard man-handled that match through grim determination.

DragzLS1
16-10-2012, 12:20 PM

I am a liverpool man myself and agree that Steve Gerard is an inspiration! I think this trip will be great for the boys and will open up their eyes.. They will see what proffessional athletes these men are and why they make teh big $$$.. Cant wait and hopefully will lift the young guys to a new level and raises everybody elses expectation of themselves :) P.S hope we smash port!

Bulldog4life
24-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone know if the match is televised? Can't see it in the November Foxtel programs.