PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Injury Update

bornadog
16-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/afl-post-season-medical-report-for-your-club/story-e6frf9jf-1226496635551)

Only forward-cum-ruckman Tom Campbell has had post-season surgery - a "cleanout" of an ankle that should have him fully fit in time to do a complete pre-season.

Surgeries before season's end to Mark Austin (wrist), Tom Williams (ankle), and Jack Redpath (arm) will not restrict them for the pre-season while Luke Dahlhaus (ankle) and Dale Morris (broken leg) will also be ready to hit the ground running.

MrMahatma
16-10-2012, 11:06 AM
That's a good start.

Cyberdoggie
16-10-2012, 12:02 PM
So Jack Redpath is going to stay on the rookie list?

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 12:06 PM
So Jack Redpath is going to stay on the rookie list?

Reduced list this year I think but it appears that Redpath is staying.

DragzLS1
16-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Luke D is playing in the UK against Port at the excibition match..? SO he must be fit and firing

azabob
16-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Reduced list this year I think but it appears that Redpath is staying.

Why is it reduced?

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Why is it reduced?

Was only ever a short term thing to help with the introduction of 2 new sides.

It's still linked to veterans etc but I think it's back down to 4 rookies not 6.

azabob
16-10-2012, 11:41 PM

It's still linked to veterans etc but I think it's back down to 4 rookies not 6.

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was a funds issue. Will be interesting to see how many 2012 rookies are promoted then.

F'scary
17-10-2012, 09:47 PM
This sticky is appreciated so that we can see how our iron warriors are progressing with their rewelds and hydraulic overhauls to be fully operational for next year's battles.

w3design
17-10-2012, 11:00 PM

I hope that down to 4 rookies is not so. Personally I have no idea.
But such a reduction could have one of, or a combination of the following effects.
1: We are forced to elevate players before we would otherwise need to to senior lists, or lose them.
2: Be forced to delist rookies who have yet to prove themselves one way or the other.
3: Be prevented from rookying and trying potential Morrises, Boyds, and Dals. etc.

Don't see how that could be in the interests of players, clubs, or the competition.

Axe Man
18-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Just on the rookie list changes the rule is that clubs who have 40 players on their primary lists in 2013 can have only four category A rookies. I believe category B rookies are non-footballers, ie basketballers, athletes, etc that haven't played AFL for 3 years or more. I think non-Irish international rookies are also category B. Regardless we don't have any category B rookies at present.

I assume we will have 40 primary list players next season (38 + 2 veterans), however you can have 38 + 6 rookies if you wish.

*Disclaimer - I'm no expert so I could easily be wrong on aspects of this.

Raw Toast
21-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm so pleased that we've sent Cooney to Germany that it entered my dreams last night (in the dream I was telling someone about how it helped Koby Bryant and while there were no guarantees, an improved Cooney would be wonderful!).

Cyberdoggie
22-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Found this information at the AFL website:

"WESTERN BULLDOGS
Start of pre-season: Monday, October 29
Injury list: Daniel Giansiracusa (knee)

Bulldogs medical services manager Andrew McKenzie said the only Dog who will be eased into pre-season training is veteran Giansiracusa, who is recovering from surgery on the lateral meniscus in his right knee, which he injured against Geelong in round 22. But even he should be running by the start of the pre-season. Young ruckman Tom Campbell was the only player to undergo post-season surgery - to remove a bone spur from the front of an ankle - but this isn’t expected to hamper his pre-season campaign. Daniel Cross has recovered well from a shoulder reconstruction and is also on track. Defender Dale Morris is also set to resume. "

Hotdog60
22-10-2012, 03:03 PM

"WESTERN BULLDOGS

Bulldogs medical services manager Andrew McKenzie said the only Dog who will be eased into pre-season training is veteran Giansiracusa, who is recovering from surgery on the lateral meniscus in his right knee, which he injured against Geelong in round 22. But even he should be running by the start of the pre-season. Young ruckman Tom Campbell was the only player to undergo post-season surgery - to remove a bone spur from the front of an ankle - but this isn’t expected to hamper his pre-season campaign. Daniel Cross has recovered well from a shoulder reconstruction and is also on track. Defender Dale Morris is also set to resume. "

So does that mean we basically have a clean sheet for the start of next year.

KT31
22-10-2012, 05:58 PM
So does that mean we basically have a clean sheet for the start of next year.

Fingers crossed.http://images.zaazu.com/img/Fingers-crossed-fingers-crossed-goodluck-luckiness-smiley-emoticon-000674-facebook.gif

DragzLS1
22-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Seen Cambell today walking in teh city and looked like he was waking fine (although is different to running)

Hopefully full squad on the park for round 1 against Brisbane :D

Dazza
29-10-2012, 07:15 PM

"WESTERN BULLDOGS

That's awesome news.

Looking forward to seeing Higgins get around with a full pre-season next year.

bornadog
15-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Medical Room Update (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-01-15/making-a-comeback?camefrom=EMCL_37271_2979606)

Western Bulldogs Medical Services Manager Andrew McKenzie says the Club’s injury list is in great shape compared to season’s past, with Dale Morris headlining a list of senior players who have returned to full training.

“Dale has been back in training for the whole pre-season,” McKenzie said.

“He has been under some modification early in the part but at the moment he’s [completing] full training - he’s pulling up well and looking really good on the track.

“We are actually in really good shape – we’ve got a lot of guys on the track training and only a couple of injuries that have been little niggles across the way.

“Most of the guys that have had surgery have returned into full training over that period and we are really happy.”

Veteran Daniel Giansiracusa has also re-joined the main group after enduring a knee injury late last year.

“He’s recovered really well, he got back into full training post-Christmas, he was doing a modified [program] prior to Christmas, he’s going well in the training – he is running well,” he said.

First round draftee Jake Stringer is also progressing well, continuing to strengthen his leg while adjusting to the requirements of professional football.

“He’s progressing well – we are taking a slow progress with him we are aiming for strength in his calf and round his ankle - that is coming along well.

“We are trying to re-engage his training program - getting him into the strength program is a priority at the moment - but he is completing a good amount of football training as well, so we are happy with where he is at but he will take some time.”

Finally, Tom Williams has returned to training after the Christmas break after enduring an ankle injury at the end of the 2012 season.

“Tom is also tracking well, he’s returned to training post-Christmas - that was really positive,” McKenzie said.

“He’s been on a modified program early in the part but at the moment he’s looking really good, he’s running really well and again moving well on the field.”

jeemak
16-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks for posting that.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gia competes this year. While there's going to be a physical decline, like there was last season, I think he has demonstrated a resiliance in the past that will hold him in good stead.

If our midfield and defensive six are organised enough to move the ball forward with purpose and pace this year, he's going to benefit from it. Last year he was on a hiding to nothing, and there was no scope for him to hide, or work around his declining physical state.

The guy's a loyal servant to our club, and has always taken a very good defender to keep him quiet, whilst performing well over a long period of time. Much respect, I hope he has a great year.

As for Morris, I can't think of a player the Bulldogs community wants to see perform well, or one that is going to be very much welcomed back to the side to boulster its defensive stocks moreso.

Having him on the park will be a huge bonus if that's how it plays out.

bornadog
16-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting that.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gia competes this year. While there's going to be a physical decline, like there was last season, I think he has demonstrated a resiliance in the past that will hold him in good stead.

If our midfield and defensive six are organised enough to move the ball forward with purpose and pace this year, he's going to benefit from it. Last year he was on a hiding to nothing, and there was no scope for him to hide, or work around his declining physical state.

The guy's a loyal servant to our club, and has always taken a very good defender to keep him quiet, whilst performing well over a long period of time. Much respect, I hope he has a great year.

As for Morris, I can't think of a player the Bulldogs community wants to see perform well, or one that is going to be very much welcomed back to the side to boulster its defensive stocks moreso.

Having him on the park will be a huge bonus if that's how it plays out.

Lets also hope Tommy Williams can stay injury free. The amount of games he has missed over his career is incredible.

BRG1993
21-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Heard a little rumour that Will Minson has pinged a hammy and that it will hamper him this pre-season

The Coon Dog
21-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Heard a little rumour that Will Minson has pinged a hammy and that it will hamper him this pre-season

Thanks for that BRG, certainly not good news for Will.

soupman
21-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Also heard that Austin has broken his arm

G-Mo77
21-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Didn't he have an arm injury at the end of last season?

soupman
21-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Probably. I think he fits in the Tom Williams category of permanently injured

always right
24-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks for that BRG, certainly not good news for Will.

Looks alright in today's training photo on Facebook. It must have been minor.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151372110632487&set=a.10151372109207487.511422.356560647486&type=3&theater

bornadog
24-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Looks alright in today's training photo on Facebook. It must have been minor.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151372110632487&set=a.10151372109207487.511422.356560647486&type=3&theater

and looking quiet good.

Greystache
24-01-2013, 07:17 PM

I went to training today and he was running well and looks super fit.

He trained today and did all the contact work so I'd say he's ok.

always right
25-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I went to training today and he was running well and looks super fit.

He trained today and did all the contact work so I'd say he's ok.

There must have been confusion as to when he broke his arm. Obviously the statement was made in reference to last year.

GVGjr
26-01-2013, 10:20 AM
There must have been confusion as to when he broke his arm. Obviously the statement was made in reference to last year.

I think Austin was very unlucky not to be promoted to the senior list and I wonder why Tom Young is seen as a better prospect.

OLD SCRAGGer
26-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Was at Training on Thursday, and Austin was NOT carrying an injury, certainly not a broken arm!!

The Underdog
27-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I think Austin was very unlucky not to be promoted to the senior list and I wonder why Tom Young is seen as a better prospect.

I'm still not sure why Markovic is seen as a better prospect than Austin except for maybe more upside offensively, but I thought Austin showed some good signs last year. Not sure where he fits with Goodes being likely to gain the last senior list spot but I think if he can stay fit he's still got potential.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm still not sure why Markovic is seen as a better prospect than Austin except for maybe more upside offensively, but I thought Austin showed some good signs last year. Not sure where he fits with Goodes being likely to gain the last senior list spot but I think if he can stay fit he's still got potential.

Austin is a much better player and had it not been for his injury, probably would have been upgraded IMO.

His problem has been staying fit, both at Carlton and with us last year. If he plays a full year, I'd expect him to be on the senior list in 2014.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Austin and Markovic are similar in ability IMO.
Either could slot in as your third tall defender behind Roughead and Williams with Talia eventually to prove better than either of them.

bornadog
29-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Dogs' clean bill of health

The Western Bulldogs are looking at a clean bill of health for round one of NAB Cup, with the entire playing list set to be in full training by the end of the week.

Assistant Coach Shannon Grant told the Herald Sun, key tall Tom Williams is the only Bulldogs player currently not in full training, with the 26-year-old due to rejoin the main group within days.

“By the middle of (this) week we'll have everyone on our list fully training, so we're in a pretty healthy state at the moment,'' Grant said.

"It's been good for us, we've managed the loads across the group quite well, so let's hope it stays that way.''

With a full list to draw upon in the Club’s NAB Cup campaign, Grant said younger players would be given a chance to solidify a spot in the team for round one of the premiership season.

"Our list has changed quite dramatically over the last couple of years, so to be able to get a look at our kids against quality opposition in the NAB Cup will be something to look at.''

The Bulldogs made nine new additions to their list in the offseason, consisting of five draftees and four mature-aged recruits – a number of which who have been pressing for selection during an impressive pre-season.

Nick Lower (Fremantle), Koby Stevens (West Coast) and Tom Young (Collingwood) will all be eager to show their wares, while mature aged rookie Brett Goodes could get his first taste of senior football.

The five draftees – including first round selections Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae and Nathan Hrovat – are also in line for NAB Cup selection after joining the Bulldogs in late November.

link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-01-29/dogs-clean-bill-of-health)

Go_Dogs
29-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Great to have a fit and healthy list and really, it appears most players have done the level of work required over the pre-season to put themselves in the mix for selection.

Have to wait and see how we go over the course of the season, but from afar it's hard not to be impressed with our new fitness guys and the way they have managed the training over the summer.

Cyberdoggie
29-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Great to have a fit and healthy list and really, it appears most players have done the level of work required over the pre-season to put themselves in the mix for selection.

Have to wait and see how we go over the course of the season, but from afar it's hard not to be impressed with our new fitness guys and the way they have managed the training over the summer.

Agreed, also think we finally made some good decisions in regards to sending players in for surgery early rather than playing out the season injured. Admit it helps when your not in finals contention.

Definitely a big gamble going for fitness people that don't come from an AFL background. So far seems to be looking a good bet, guess we'll see once the games start.

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Not much of an update from the club.

Roughead - Virus so didn't play on the weekend. Will be back training this week.

Hrovat - Quad - should start limited training this week.

Morris - Good news , no soreness.

No mention of Williams?

Pedro Sanchez
19-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Not much of an update from the club.

Roughead - Virus so didn't play on the weekend. Will be back training this week.

Hrovat - Quad - should start limited training this week.

Morris - Good news , no soreness.

No mention of Williams?

Any word on Stevens? Thought he surely must have been injured not to feature in the games on Friday night. Either that or he's done something to upset the coaches. Would have to be in our top 26 players at the club. I rate him as a better player than Lower and going on how well he featured on Friday - without starring - he'd have to be in our top 18.

Anyway, good news we have a relative clean bill of health.

Ozza
20-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Any word on Stevens? Thought he surely must have been injured not to feature in the games on Friday night. Either that or he's done something to upset the coaches. Would have to be in our top 26 players at the club. I rate him as a better player than Lower and going on how well he featured on Friday - without starring - he'd have to be in our top 18.

Anyway, good news we have a relative clean bill of health.

I would be confident that any players who missed the first NAB game - will be in the side week 2. They all have their programmes and somebody (10 or so players) had to miss out first time around.

Happy Days
20-02-2013, 10:31 PM
A mate of mine at another AFL club told me that he didn't get a run in the first week of the NAB Cup because they wanted to get some miles into the legs of the players likely to play round one. Doesn't pertain directly to us I know, but interesting none the less as it pertains to Stevens.

Go_Dogs
05-03-2013, 07:15 PM
New report up on the club website, it says Stringer 4 weeks, Cooney back this week from a hip knock and Higgo has some foot soreness and should be back for NAB 4 assuming he trains well till then.

Greystache
11-03-2013, 12:21 AM
The Age is reporting Easton Wood will be out for 3 weeks with a hamstring.

jeemak
11-03-2013, 12:26 AM
I hope he doesn't become a two hamstring injuries a season type player. His game is based on explosiveness and he needs consistent games to solidify a spot and lead in our inexperienced back six.

I'm a bit concerned about his body and his development to be honest.

Greystache
11-03-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm a bit concerned about his body and his development to be honest.

So am I. To be honest I didn't have him on my team for round one, this injury is going to set him back even further.

Dry Rot
11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Good news for Young?

Greystache
11-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Good news for Young?

I wouldn't think so, it probably just makes Goodes a certainty for round 1.

jeemak
11-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Suppose we'll wait and see who of the medium sized defenders puts their hands up against Richmond next week.

Goodes for mine at this stage.

The Underdog
11-03-2013, 09:51 AM
So am I. To be honest I didn't have him on my team for round one, this injury is going to set him back even further.

Either did I. He has all the physical tools but he hasn't seemed to progress much from when he started and at times seems to have gone backwards. I can see why they like him, the upside is fantastic but his game seems to have levelled out somewhat.

Ghost Dog
11-03-2013, 01:36 PM

I heard something about Hawthorn reducing the amount of hamstring injuries it had over a period by training players to take shorter steps. Some guys that come from an athletics background might have a tendency to bring their track style of running on to the paddock, where there are a lot more turns and stop / starts.

jazzadogs
11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Suppose we'll wait and see who of the medium sized defenders puts their hands up against Richmond next week.

Goodes for mine at this stage.
Can someone clarify how Goodes will play when he is still on the rookie list?

Hotdog60
11-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Can someone clarify how Goodes will play when he is still on the rookie list?

I believe we have one spot open on the list and we can upgrade a rookie.

bornadog
11-03-2013, 02:18 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/threadjacked_zps8e0e7693.gif

This is the Injury Update Thread, not a discussion on players on rookie list etc.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/offtopic_zpsff900547.gif

Hotdog60
11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/threadjacked_zps8e0e7693.gif

This is the Injury Update Thread, not a discussion on players on rookie list etc.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/offtopic_zpsff900547.gif

Is a thread hijacked if there is only two posts, but I agree it was off topic but then again it was a query to Goodes replacing the injured Wood.

Hangon is this post to your post off topic.:p

jeemak
11-03-2013, 10:50 PM
You're going to be a busy boy BAD if you apply the same off topic principal to all threads other than this one mate :p

LostDoggy
12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;311321]I heard something about Hawthorn reducing the amount of hamstring injuries it had over a period by training players to take shorter steps.

Correct.

That's why Clinton Young never did a hamstring

Maddog37
12-03-2013, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;311321]I heard something about Hawthorn reducing the amount of hamstring injuries it had over a period by training players to take shorter steps.

Correct.

Boom-tish:)

Ghost Dog
12-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Correct.

?

bornadog
12-03-2013, 06:33 PM
No updates from the club yet - however known injuries are:

* Stringer - Ankle - 3 weeks

* Williams - Foot - unknown

* Roberts - hip - unknown

Any others?

Greystache
12-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Wood-Hamstring-3 weeks

Hotdog60
12-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Any others?

Higgins is still to be assessed but is likely after a foot complaint.

F'scary
12-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Any others?

Higgins is still to be assessed but is likely after a foot complaint.

Great! Four of the best candidates for starting forwards positions. All injured. Just great:eek:

bornadog
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Wood-Hamstring-3 weeks

Yes, forgot about Wood - thank you

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2013, 01:48 PM
What's with the "unknown" diagnosis?

Surely they have some idea?

bornadog
13-03-2013, 01:59 PM
What's with the "unknown" diagnosis?

Surely they have some idea?

I wrote that as there is no information available.

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Ahh thanks BAD, your description is probably more accurate than any official one anyway. :)

bulldogsman
14-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Saw this posted on bigfooty, it's apparently from the herald sun website.

Tom Williams
Foot: Has rejoined the main group after post-season surgery, giving the Dogs a clean bill of health.

bornadog
15-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Saw this posted on bigfooty, it's apparently from the herald sun website.

Tom Williams
Foot: Has rejoined the main group after post-season surgery, giving the Dogs a clean bill of health.

That was posted awhile ago in the HUN. The latest from the HUN:

INJURIES

Luke Dahlhaus (cork) available
Jake Stringer (ankle) 1-2 weeks
Easton Wood (hamstring) 1-2 weeks

No mention of Williams, Higgins or Roberts

Cyberdoggie
15-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Stringer on the footy show mentioned he's back running and should be right for round 1.

bornadog
15-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Stringer on the footy show mentioned he's back running and should be right for round 1.

I wonder if he will debut or play at VFL Level.

Mantis
15-03-2013, 12:55 PM

You couldn't possibly play him on such a limited prep.

Has he even played a 1/4 of AFL footy yet?

F'scary
15-03-2013, 01:02 PM

You couldn't possibly play him on such a limited prep.

Has he even played a 1/4 of AFL footy yet?

Our forward line has been so dysfunctional that I would just start playing Stringer straight away. Overriding decision confirming benefit after weighing all relevant considerations: if Stringer is at FF, Cordy won't be.

Cyberdoggie
17-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Wood seemed to be running up the stairs to the coaches box with ease today, didn't look like a man with a Hamstring problem.

Remi Moses
17-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Our forward line has been so dysfunctional that I would just start playing Stringer straight away. Overriding decision confirming benefit after weighing all relevant considerations: if Stringer is at FF, Cordy won't be.

Wonder if Jake could be a sub?

jeemak
17-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Wonder if Jake could be a sub?

I'd be inclined to give him a 2-3 weeks at Williamstown to start off with. Let him get an itch whilst running into further match fitness and hopefully form.

It's a long season, and irrespective of him being able to run in recently though missing a couple of weeks players really get a lot of match fitness in the last two games before the season propper. He'd be a little bit behind right now, even playing as the sub.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2013, 02:30 PM

My heart would rule my mind on this. Play him from the beginning. A player who can kick the goal he did, one of the all time great goals, showing intent to take the game on, incredible balance and focus, the ability to turn the contest from defence into attack and most of all the ability to be in traffic, left and right side skills, adjusting every step and body position with each movement and have incredible goal awareness and opportunism, all in his first possession in the game at the highest level means he can forge a career from the get go. If Tim Watson could do it from 15, Jake Stringer can do it from 19.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Cordy isn't being played as a 'FF', he is being played as a 2nd ruck. I don't rate Ayce but who would replace him offering relief to Will? I think Ayce gets it via default.

GVGjr
17-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Cordy isn't being played as a 'FF', he is being played as a 2nd ruck. I don't rate Ayce but who would replace him offering relief to Will? I think Ayce gets it via default.

That's the way I see it. He is the best option we have at the moment.

LostDoggy
18-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Reported in the Age this morning we are sending Koby for an x ray on a possible cracked rib.

F'scary
18-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Make taller forwards like Jones do rucking in forward 50. Maybe taller backs in the back 50. Anything. But just do something! (other than play Cordy as a resting ruck forward).

Mofra
18-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Clay Smith was a beep test freak, one of the fittest youngsters of his draft year and struggled, after a full pre-season, to run out 3/4 of an AFL game (yes some midfield, some forward).

Stringer needs to get match-fitness and press for selection just like anyone else.

w3design
18-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Make taller forwards like Jones do rucking in forward 50. Maybe taller backs in the back 50. Anything. But just do something! (other than play Cordy as a resting ruck forward).

Have to disagree completely. It is a recipe for disaster having KPP's try to fill in as second rucks.

As for Ayce... for #*@#'s sake, what has the kid played... 14 games ??? Give him a break !!
If he has shown no more by season's end, then by all means relegate him to Footscray [ VFL]
till he does, in 2014.
But right now, he is our only viable option for the role. And while his progress might have been slow to date, that is hardly unprecedented for youngsters 200cm+ tall.

More often than not patience is rewarded. Unseeming haste virtually never is.

Happy Days
18-03-2013, 10:53 PM

I liked the robot gimmick better than the Cordy-bashing gimmick

divvydan
25-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
BREAKING NEWS: Scans have revealed skipper Matthew Boyd has suffered a calf strain. He's expected to miss 2-3 weeks.

Bad news for Boyd and the club.

chef
25-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Bugger.HUGE loss.

Remi Moses
25-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Massive Massive loss.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Very disappointing for Boydy and the team. Big opportunity for Libba and Wallis to really step up for a few weeks and fill the void. Wish him a quick recovery.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Him and Crossy. I'm surprised they not injured more often. I wonder, does he play on despite injury or just not get injured? It doesn't seem possible given the nature of the game and how he plays it.

Remi Moses
25-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Very disappointing for Boydy and the team. Big opportunity for Libba and Wallis to really step up for a few weeks and fill the void. Wish him a quick recovery.

Agree. Big opportunity for some of our young players.

Greystache
25-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Agree, a midfield of Griffen, Wallis, Smith, Libba, and Stevens is a big challenge for some young players. Cooney, Higgins, Dahlhaus, and maybe Gia will also rotate through too you'd think. Midfield accountability will need to be a priority.

bornadog
25-03-2013, 11:59 PM
As it stands we have the following:

Boyd - 2 to 3 weeks

To prove fitness - Cooney, and Higgins

Wood
Williams
Stringer

no reports on how they are progressing.

Any one else???

Hotdog60
26-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Boyd - 2 to 3 weeks

To prove fitness - Cooney, and Higgins

Wood
Williams
Stringer

no reports on how they are progressing.

Any one else???

Wood 1-2 weeks
Williams ??
Stringer back to full training an will be available for selection round 1.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Boyd has been ruled out for ''two to three weeks'' after straining a calf in the recent practice match against Richmond.
The loss of the captain comes as Adam Cooney struggles to recover his fitness and elevate his energy levels after spending most of last week in hospital for an infected knee. And dynamic forward Shaun Higgins is also struggling to manage a foot injury that has left him in doubt for Saturday's match.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/boyd-out-two-more-in-doubt-20130325-2gqan.html#ixzz2ObASJGlz

The Adelaide Connection
26-03-2013, 04:10 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-26/murphy-to-skipper-dogs

In better news for the Bulldogs, Shaun Higgins is a definite starter.

"He's had a terrific summer, Shaun. The best preparation he's had for two or three years and he's set himself up for a good year," McCartney said.

Adam Cooney's pre-season was interrupted by an infection in his knee, but whether he plays this week is a simple matter.

"If he trains well, we'll play him," McCartney said.

bornadog
26-03-2013, 05:37 PM
From the HUN

Adam Cooney (knee) test
Easton Wood (hamstring) test
Tom Williams (foot) 1-2 weeks
Matthew Boyd (calf) 2-3 weeks

Captain Matthew Boyd is out after scans confirmed a calf strain following the Dogs' practice match against Richmond on March 16. Boyd will miss at least three weeks. The intrigue centres around Adam Cooney, who was hospitalised last week with an infection in his knee. But the Brownlow medallist is out and, if he can train this week, could face the Lions. Easton Wood is also racing the clock as he overcomes a hamstring problem, with Tom Williams the only definite non-starter. The Dogs could boast a clean bill of health come their Round 2 encounter against Fremantle.

EasternWest
26-03-2013, 09:55 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-26/murphy-to-skipper-dogs

In better news for the Bulldogs, Shaun Higgins is a definite starter.

"He's had a terrific summer, Shaun. The best preparation he's had for two or three years and he's set himself up for a good year," McCartney said.

Blah blah blah.

What a throwaway line. What will be said if Shaun gets injured/suffers poor form: "It was a tough preseason, Shaun carried an injury, etc etc etc".

The Adelaide Connection
26-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Blah blah blah.

What a throwaway line. What will be said if Shaun gets injured/suffers poor form: "It was a tough preseason, Shaun carried an injury, etc etc etc".

Whatever the case I hope that when he does resurface he has indeed found a yard of pace as rumored. Last year I reckon I could have made my way down from level three and still mowed him down.

Seriously though we have a number of players that are essentially mature aged recruits coming into the team, with the likes of Cooney, Higgins, Morris, Williams all coming back in supposed good form. Fingers crossed.

jeemak
26-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Blah blah blah.

Or maybe "It's disappointing for Shaun, to this point aside from a minor setback with his foot he'd had the best preseason preparation for a number of years".

bornadog
26-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Blah blah blah.

He has had a very good preseason, so let's hope he finds form

Ghost Dog
27-03-2013, 12:07 AM
"He's had a terrific summer, Shaun. The best preparation he's had for two or three years and he's set himself up for a good year," McCartney said

Ignoring all news about Shaun Higgins until he actually kicks goals. Or does something meaningful on the park. No offence. Same goes for Tom Williams.

jeemak
27-03-2013, 12:54 AM
"He's had a terrific summer, Shaun. The best preparation he's had for two or three years and he's set himself up for a good year," McCartney said

Ignoring all news about Shaun Higgins until he actually kicks goals. Or does something meaningful on the park. No offence. Same goes for Tom Williams.

Higgins has had a better preparation than Williams, GD.

He's been shelved for a couple of weeks to let a sore spot settle down after a strong showing for all but the final month of preseason, and he was best on ground in an intra match over the weekend.

Tom's been coming back from preseason limiting surgery.

EasternWest
27-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Apologies all. Maybe I'm just grumpy and toey for the season to start.

Go Dogs.

bornadog
28-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Cooney adamant he's right for round one (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-28/cooney-adamant-hes-right-for-round-one)

Ready to go

bornadog
30-03-2013, 01:31 AM

Boyd - 2 to 3 weeks

Wood
Williams - joining full training next week

Any one else???

Addison hamstring - 2 weeks

Dry Rot
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
What's the story with Stevens?

Greystache
01-04-2013, 02:36 PM
What's the story with Stevens?

Macca said after the game be had a cramp in his hamstring and would have scans to see if there was any damage.

Dry Rot
01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Macca said after the game be had a cramp in his hamstring and would have scans to see if there was any damage.

Thanks

bornadog
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Can we unsticky this and start a new one for the season proper. Thanks.

Greystache
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Can we unsticky this and start a new one for the season proper. Thanks.

Done

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11649